Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17243 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

If you were editor what first things would you change?

• 52 results
    animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By animehunter

A question I'm sure some of you have ask yourselves, what changes would a you make as editor of Spider-Man?

In the case of this thread lets limit it to the first 5-10 things you would change, so that you would give it some thought.

Me, in order of importance

1. Remove Dan Slott as writer immediately. Maybe, MAYBE if I'm feeling generous, allow him finish the arc he's on, otherwise the boot.
    2. Create a contest to select the next writer & Artist
    3. Reinstate the marriage and start a family by retconning OMD and the Mephisto nonsense.
    4. Fix the damage done to Black Cat, and maybe Yuri Watanabe and bring back Silver Sable.
    5. No nice way to say this, kill off Aunt May.
    6. Have Peter start a small family business AND not take it international.

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Get rid of miles

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Zarius

@animehunter: pretty much said most of what I wanted, but here's a few extra things

1. Have Peter in more grounded jobs and make MJ a psychologist.

2. Find a way to keep Aunt May around a bit longer so she can be a grandmother to Peter and MJ's kids, but have her divorce Jay. He contributes nothing and it feels too superficial to connect Peter and Jonah as family.

3. Find a way to retcon MC2 Peter's death, possibly by bringing up what DeFalco implied in his Spider-Verse Team-Up story about there possibly being "other" Maydays out there that were unaffected by the Inheritor attacks. This allows us to retain the Mayday that has been changed by those events and follows a similar line of thinking to some Supergirl stories where the modern day version meets the pre-crisis version and what drama and character development can be made out of it.

4. I'd be merciful to Gwen fans and would gladly undo Sins Past using time travel or something. Hell, have this be the favor Peter asks of Loki.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

1. Remove Dan Slott as writer immediately.
    2. Fix the damage done to Black Cat, and maybe Yuri Watanabe and bring back Silver Sable.

I agree with this.

@rpgesus said:

Get rid of miles

I agree with this to a point.

@zarius said:

2. but have her divorce Jay. He contributes nothing and it feels too superficial to connect Peter and Jonah as family.

3. Find a way to retcon MC2 Peter's death

I agree with this

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here is my list, going from the most important to the least important:

1.Get rid of MJ and make her start a family away from the book with that Firefighter guy, and make peter infertile

2. Make Peter just a scientist,like when he worked for Horizon Labs, I would get rid of him being a businessman.

3. Retcon Sins Past, it never should have happened

4. Kill aunt May

5. Get rid off Milles Morales

william300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animehunter: I agree on everything you've said. Aunt May dying could have been very important to Peter's development, it would have forced him to come to terms and death is ultimately inevitable and that you can't stop it.

I kind of like the idea of Peter being a science handy man, kind of a freelance scientist brought on to different projects to help.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By silent_bomber

hmmm, it would be interesting to carry on current Spider-Man, but make it an alternate version, then start a new comic that takes over directly from Amazing #400, but wraps up the Clone Saga with no shocks (tests were a lie, Jackal was behind it all, baby still alive etc)

That would be too drastic a change though I'd imagine.

---------------------------------

A slightly less over the top change would be to retcon just the most damaging parts of JMS' run

---------------------------------

Honestly though I think Spider-Man comics are in a pretty stable place right now, probably best not to cause too much upheaval, just change writers when the time is right and spend more time building back up Mary Jane and Pete's friendship.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:

@animehunter: pretty much said most of what I wanted, but here's a few extra things

2. Find a way to keep Aunt May around a bit longer so she can be a grandmother to Peter and MJ's kids, but have her divorce Jay. He contributes nothing and it feels too superficial to connect Peter and Jonah as family.

3. Find a way to retcon MC2 Peter's death, possibly by bringing up what DeFalco implied in his Spider-Verse Team-Up story about there possibly being "other" Maydays out there that were unaffected by the Inheritor attacks. This allows us to retain the Mayday that has been changed by those events and follows a similar line of thinking to some Supergirl stories where the modern day version meets the pre-crisis version and what drama and character development can be made out of it.

4. I'd be merciful to Gwen fans and would gladly undo Sins Past using time travel or something. Hell, have this be the favor Peter asks of Loki.

1. It's an alternative for Peter and I would agree with Mary Jane becoming a psychologist.

2. I would go with that, but not too long.

3. I would agree with that move.

4.Most definitely yes.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not in any particular order:

1) Peter wakes up and complete story runs were a bad dream (Sins Past, OMD and Everything Slott wrote gone)

2) Peter is a teacher again (there is a lot to explore here)

3) New writer

4) Bring the Marriage back

5) Spider-Man can win a fight on his own again

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On another note, I would clamp down on professional etiquette in social media. All of my writers would have to respond to fan concerns and feedback with optimum professionalism. If I were to keep Dan on, I'd tell him to button it or he'd lose his job.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By animehunter

@zarius said:

On another note, I would clamp down on professional etiquette in social media. All of my writers would have to respond to fan concerns and feedback with optimum professionalism. If I were to keep Dan on, I'd tell him to button it or he'd lose his job.

I would most certainly agree with, right after I remove him as writer of Spider-Man. and I'll make sure that he'll never write a Spider title again, any Spider title. In my eyes he's lost that privilege.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
    blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Hire myself as writer of Amazing Spider-Man

2. Make Peter Parker the premier scientist on the Avengers, and give him a research lab affiliated with them

3. Peter realizes that something is wrong with reality and builds a suit combining magic and science to defeat Mephisto, bringing back the marriage.

4. Peter extensively upgrades his classic suit and powers it with Parker Particles, rendering himself much more powerful

5. Miles Morales suddenly disappears and no one notices/cares.

6. Miguel becomes the new CEO of Parker Industries and helps to fund Peter's research

7. Kill off Aunt May (permanently)

8. Black Cat is good again

9. Spidey uses Spider-Bots outfitted with his undetectable stealth tech and cryo pellets and web shooters to patrol crime around the world and call in Avengers for big threats.

10. Spider-Man and MJ have a Spider-Baby

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Zarius

@kcomicfan said:

1.Get rid of MJ and make her start a family away from the book with that Firefighter guy, and make peter infertile

2. Make Peter just a scientist,like when he worked for Horizon Labs, I would get rid of him being a businessman.

4. Kill aunt May

1. That seems all a tad too mean-spirited to both characters, MJ settling on an uninteresting guy who is clearly a rebound for her would not lead to a healthy marriage and it'd probably fail (not to mention if the marriage is ever restored, it would annul any new relationship she has so it'd be pretty pointless, but on the other hand, it would create new dramatic storytelling opportunities seeing as she would then have to choose between her new family and her old one), plus preventing Peter from ever having kids closes the door on creative opportunities for new characters and responsibilities and would render him in one place forever, which is cancerous to any character.

2. I concur with this

3. Also concur

4. Triple concur

5. Probably put Miles back in his own universe, but I concur here also.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:
    @kcomicfan said:

4. Kill aunt May

1. That seems all a tad too mean-spirited to both characters, MJ settling on an uninteresting guy who is clearly a rebound for her would not lead to a healthy marriage and it'd probably fail (not to mention if the marriage is ever restored, it would annul any new relationship she has so it'd be pretty pointless, but on the other hand, it would create new dramatic storytelling opportunities seeing as she would then have to choose between her new family and her old one), plus preventing Peter from ever having kids closes the door on creative opportunities for new characters and responsibilities and would render him in one place forever, which is cancerous to any character.

2. I concur with this

3. Also concur

4. Triple concur

It is mean spirited but it gets the job done. If the writer writes MJ and the firefighter as being happily married then for all intents and purposes they are happily married and it gets rid of the character permanently. Peter having children would put him in the same place permanently.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:
    @kcomicfan said:

4. Kill aunt May

2. I concur with this

3. Also concur

4. Triple concur

It is mean spirited but it gets the job done. If the writer writes MJ and the firefighter as being happily married then for all intents and purposes they are happily married and it gets rid of the character permanently. Peter having children would put him in the same place permanently.

I would concur with 2-5, but would never concur with 1, I still want MJ to be part of Peters' life, married to Peter and have a family with Peter. and I never want to see that Fire Fighter guy ever again.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Zarius

I concur there. As the Crawlspace reviewers said on one podcast, the guy is just a placeholder, a rebound that, in a very basic way, reminds MJ of who and what she truly loves. That isn't healthy grounds for a relationship and it isn't exactly fair on the guy either. I fully expect MJ to come to her senses and to have left him on the other side of the All-New Marvel eight month time skip.

Like I said though, if she rushes into a new relationship and family, the undoing of OMD would annul it and force her to choose, which is good storytelling in it's own right. If Annie carries over from Secret Wars and MJ adopts her, it will likewise do the same thing, as ultimately she would play matchmaker with Peter and MJ wanting her old life back.

Blackspidey's idea of revealing something is wrong with reality is another thing I agree on. Revealing the current and future disjointed states of the Marvel universe are the results of chaos magic stemming from the deal and Peter striving to undo the damage and not knowing what will come out of his efforts, better or worse, is more grounds for solid storytelling.

Avatar image for spider-kastanidis
    Spider-Kastanidis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I the only one that loves Michael Straczynski and would bring him back? BTW I'd love to see a Peter Parker becoming successful af and establishing his own industry. And no I don't want doc oc. However I'd love to see superior spidey back

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Zarius

@spider-kastanidis said:

Am I the only one that loves Michael Straczynski and would bring him back? BTW I'd love to see a Peter Parker becoming successful af and establishing his own industry. And no I don't want doc oc. However I'd love to see superior spidey back

Which reminds me of something else I'd do...

Capitalize on popular titles in much the same way Marvel cashed in on Silk and Spider-Gwen with Superior and Renew Your Vows. Despite my issues with it, Superior has a pretty solid fanbase and the premise should have been given a title in 2014 set in a universe where Peter was never restored to his body. I'd even put Dan to work on it and free up ASM for the future, since Ock is his favorite villain character and general consensus is Slott was more inspired writing him in the Spider-Man role.

Spider-Kastanidis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius: NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNO, I WANT MY JMS

Spider-Kastanidis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JMS is life JMS is love. You can swear but I really hate slott, this guy is writing some really bad stories about my spidey, while JMS reaches the limits

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kcomicfan

@spider-kastanidis said:

JMS is life JMS is love. You can swear but I really hate slott, this guy is writing some really bad stories about my spidey, while JMS reaches the limits

LOL you seem a bit delusional. JMS wrote: The other, Sins past and One More Day. he wrote just as many bad stories as Slott, with the last two on this list being known as some of the worst comic book stories of all time.

Spider-Kastanidis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoy the other and OMD

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Zarius

@spider-kastanidis said:

LOL you seem a bit delusional. JMS wrote: The other, Sins past and One More Day. he wrote just as many bad stories as Slott, with the last two on this list being known as some of the worst comic book stories of all time.

And let's not forget that if JMS had gotten his way, Peter would have been given kids with Gwen (Sins Past) and much more of Spider-Man's history would have been retconned (his original proposal for OMD involved undoing Gwen's death)

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spider-kastanidis: There is a reply button, using it would make this a lot easier. Be that as it may, these books are still terrible in the opinions of fans and critics alike . Both Slott and JMS have written good stories and they have both written bad stories.

Spider-Kastanidis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just want you to deduce that JMS's parker was far more interesting than *cough* Slott's. He had an intimate life and was much more mature. JMS's storylines were by far more interesting, since he deepens the story. I admit that he wrote some bad stories for spidey, but they aren't as bad as Slott's. NOT TO MENTION RENEW YOUR VOWS. He is just so fucking controversial, something that leads to the corruption of the character and to the shifting of his ethics, as we saw on his new ASM.

ME DA REAL HATER (spock was great btw)

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just want you to deduce that JMS's parker was far more interesting than *cough* Slott's. He had an intimate life and was much more mature. JMS's storylines were by far more interesting, since he deepens the story. I admit that he wrote some bad stories for spidey, but they aren't as bad as Slott's. NOT TO MENTION RENEW YOUR VOWS. He is just so fucking controversial, something that leads to the corruption of the character and to the shifting of his ethics, as we saw on his new ASM.

can you use the reply button. this is mostly opinion based, in my opinion how Slott writes Spider-man is more interesting then how JMS writes spider-man. LOL Slott has never wrote a story that is known for being one of the worst of all time.

Spider-Kastanidis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcomicfan: how come more interesting? Could you please elaborate your thoughts?

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Zarius

@kcomicfan said:
    @spider-kastanidis said:

can you use the reply button. this is mostly opinion based, in my opinion how Slott writes Spider-man is more interesting then how JMS writes spider-man. LOL Slott has never wrote a story that is known for being one of the worst of all time.

No, but he's known for writing several stories that are known for their divisive quality. Meaning there's just as many who consider them crap as well as the many that consider them works of art (not to mention fan standards are pretty bog standard nowadays)

Many have lambasted his last year and a half on the title . And why is the poll vote to get him OFF the book so damn high here then if he's considered sound? Guy must be doing something wrong.

Also, could we please stick to the topic at hand? This isn't a thread to debate Slott's merits. This is a thread asking what we'd do if we had some creative control.

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
    FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Make him gay, make him a woman, make him asian.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kcomicfan

@spider-kastanidis: The main reason I find the book interesting is I don't get bored reading it.my second reason is enjoy the plots that he creates, for example making Peter a scientist and having the hobgoblin break into the lab to steal and switching peters conciousness with Doctor octopus's. I also enjoy how he writes the characters for example Max Moddel,Grady Scraps and Phill Urich. Finally I enjoy the books humour and charm.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius: Why do you bother to reply to me? it seems like when I make a good point you don't reply. I feel like you do this to save face.

Yes his work has diverse quality. but none of his stories are known as one of the worst off all time, so from this it is easy to conclude that Slott's worst is better then JMS's worst.

I agree that Slots run after superior has been bad. But most people vote with there wallets, so clearly Slott is doing something right.

It was a discussion on what we'd do if we had some creative control. but, like most pages on this topic board it evolved into a discussion on Slott.

Spider-Kastanidis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcomicfan: overall I'd say JMS is better than Slott, even though he wrote some bad stories I think his in an entire other level

william300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By william300

Heres what I would do.

1: OMD undone. Peter and MJ are married and expecting a child.

2: Aunt May died. She (with the help of an angel who was hinted to be Uncle Ben), stopped Mephisto, and she told Peter and MJ to happy lives and then she died with a smile on her face. Her death helps Peter accept that death in inevitable and that he can't save everyone.

3: He'd have a version of the unstable molecule costume that he wore while with the FF, it's able to change colors to it has his normal colors during solo adventures, and the white and black colors when working with the teams.

4: Peter is a science teacher again, while also working as a freelance scientist.

5: I wold revamp his powers. There would be a in story explanation. He'd have night vision, he'd have a venom blast (similar to what Miles Morales has).

6: Osborn would still be running a "goblin army" underground. That's one of the few cool things in Superior, and I was disappointing that they quickly wrapped it up.

7: Black Cat is a hero, a member of Heroes for Hire.

8: Jameson is still mayor of New York. He's supporting Spider-Man.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Keep Peter at where he's at now. A wealthy business scientist like Tony but younger and more relatable.

2. Keep him and MJ away from each other till the writers actually make her capable of fighting villians and being a hero in her own right.

3. Make Spidey less generic and stiff, more of his lighthearted carefree self in the early stories and the cartoon. Have him a fun guy to be around again.

4. Kill off May and JJ, it time they moved on to the next life and have Peter lose his self worrying sense of guilt already about them because of them being frequently targeting and old as dust.

5. Expand his powers more, dude needs more feats that takes his spider abilities to anime levels of effective melee combat.

6. I'd keep Dan Slott but have him step down for a while for new writers to have a go a the main title to explore the new angle that Spider-Man needs to be in crowd with todays audience.

7. Villains need to like Spidey step up from common crime to criminal empires and worldly corruption via legion of doom. Black Cat needs to stay a criminal, it's better she stay a true element of evil than a half ass attempt at ripping off Selina Kyle.

8. Spidey's joke material needs more edgey subjects to work on, I feel Spidey is out of fashion because he's not as funny as he was in the past where people like She Hulk and Deadpool didn't come out and really hit on the comedy scene with there brazen jokes. Make Spidey more adult in his banter because it seems more unrealistic to quip like a child at his age and look cool doing it, it wouldn't kill his moral and friendly image at the least. Look at Dante from Devil may Cry for instance.

9. Give him a pet, Spidey never has had a pet before, and I see someone like him needing a unconditional companion that doesn't critizie him and his choices as Spider-Man and in general, telling him how to live his life. Maybe a dog like a lab or even a pet spider, it's not like it's out of character to have a pet spider since he is awkward like one to people.

10. I like every other street level badass hero before him want him to take a shot at Thanos some time in the future. Starlord has done it, Deadpool has done it, Wolverine has done it. It's Spider-Man's turn.

william300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimishim12: I like what Millar did with MJ. Had her carrying a gun, she even shot Osborn in the chest. I'd make her a protective mother (with her and Peter expecting a child). She'd be willing to shoot a villain to protect her family.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spider-kastanidis: I think the exact opposite, overall I'd say Slott is better than JMS, even though he wrote some bad stories I think his in an entire other level

Spider-Kastanidis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcomicfan: ye we differ a lot on this, but it's clearly a matter of taste.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spider-kastanidis: I agree

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spider-kastanidis said:

Did you not read Alpha....he has wrote one that could be considered as one of the worst:)

Spider-Kastanidis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spider11211: actually he showed us Peters intellect in a way.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spider-kastanidis: Yes he did, not everything he has done has been bad:)

Look at how dumb the supporting cast was during Superior, when is the last time Peter defeated a foe on his own in his own book?

I think Slott writes a great Otto but he struggles with Peter.

Spider-Kastanidis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By kcomicfan

@spider11211 said:
    @kcomicfan said:
    @spider-kastanidis said:

Did you not read Alpha....he has wrote one that could be considered as one of the worst:)

Alpha might of been bad. but Sins past and One more day are notoriously bad,even non comic book fans know how bad they are. And in comparison I would rather read Alpha then Sins Past

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By spider11211

@spider11211 said:
    @kcomicfan said:
    @spider-kastanidis said:

Alpha might of been bad. but Sins past and One more day are notoriously bad,even non comic book fans know how bad they are. And in comparison I would rather read Alpha then Sins Past

Are you really debating levels of bad?..LOL

Sins Past was Sinful.....Alpha was just a turd.

Both stunk:)

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcomicfan said:
    @spider11211 said:
    @kcomicfan said:
    @spider-kastanidis said:

Are you really debating levels of bad?..LOL

Sins Past was Sinful.....Alpha was just a turd.

Both stunk:)

This whole conversation has been about debating the levels of bad.

It is true that Slott and JMS have both written some bad story arcs, but when there worst story's are compered it is clear that Slott's worst story's are better.

Spider-Kastanidis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcomicfan: I was talking about the overall winner buddy.

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Well once again @zarius pretty said what I was going to, well him and @animehunter.

Dedonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is true that Slott and JMS have both written some bad story arcs, but when there worst story's are compered it is clear that Slott's worst story's are better.

Having the "not as bad" worst story arc is not something I would think anyone would want to parade around. :D

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dedonus said:
    @kcomicfan said:

Having the "not as bad" worst story arc is not something I would think anyone would want to parade around. :D

Yup

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dedonus said:
    @kcomicfan said:

True. But it puts what they write into perspective.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.