Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Has Spider-man had a strength upgrade?

• 68 results
    segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By segamarvel

@strider92: Oh that's good to hear. Coming from you that means a lot. Still you gotta admit that was freaking awesome.

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@segamarvel: problem with this not being POS is that it makes all the Ironman vs the Hulk into PIS, which it is not. Tony has too many speed, strength, and durability feats to get ripped open like a tin can by someone who is only a 20-25 ton class. Iron Man sports better combat stats than Captain Marvel, who would wreck Spiderman.

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By segamarvel

@senglord: True, But Peter has been amassing plenty of good feats recently. If this continues then your claim might end up as false in the future. This isn't the first time he's beaten a class 100 character. But I do still see what your saying. Depending on how you look at this, this amount of PIS is as big as when Cap hurt Peter (which was total BS) But everyones free to judge the feats as they please. In a way we could simply interpret this as a reminder that Peter holds back in at least 90% of his fights which makes this showing at least a "little" more believable.

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@segamarvel: Spiderman going all out against Cap would cause fractures with Mach .4 finger strikes. He would also cause most petty thus to almost explode. A punch from Peter would have the same force as being hit with a 30kg iron slug launched by a trebuchet. But Tony's suit tanks shots from battleships like it is nothing. He can ignore penetrating artillery shots. Losing to Spiderman is a legit low showing for Tony. But, I have pics of Batman one shorting Wonder Woman for lols at the Morrrison era's excess bat service. Which goes a little bit too much over the line.

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By segamarvel

@senglord: Once again I repeat, I get where your coming from. I really do, but at least I can see what Marvel is trying to do. Their basically saying Spidey holds back a lot, and in this he almost went for the kill. Still you are right. This is a low showing on Tony's side. Doesn't mean my inner spider fan doesn't enjoy it any less. Also this isn't the first time Peter has done this to Iron Man. He really gave it to him in civil war and he beat Iron Man 2020. I know that doesn't help much but the consistency between each other (if outside showings are overlooked) has Spidey doing fairly well against Iron Man (most of the time). I understand what you mean. It's the same logic as Peter having a history struggling against Skilled fighters DESPITE having a power set that should allow him to win effortlessly. That's how I feel that fight went. Peter basically got portrayed as the skilled fighter while Tony's powers were just ignored.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strider92: Quick question. Remember that one feat where Spider-man lifts a train car over his head? That's always been my favorite but how much does that actually weigh? (assuming it's empty) is it around the 25-30 ton ball mark? And I'm talking about ONE train car, not the whole train.

chuckwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually I have a theory about Spider-man and his strength level.

It was never said exactly what type of radiation that the spider that bit Peter was exposed to.

My theory is that it was a wavelength of Gamma radiation.

That allowed it to transfer it's own natural abilities to Peter.

While gamma enhancing his adrenal glands, because the dose was diluted he doesn't transform but can tap beyond his normal resting strength of 10 tons when angered or in times of great need or stress.

Such a lifting a 40 ton subway car over head... yes I looked up the weight of a new york subway car on Wikipedia.

That gamma powered adrenal glands are what allowed him to wipe the floor with Firelord, hold his own with the Silver Surfer, make a joke out of the X-men, beat the Fantastic 4 twice, knock out a just transformed Hulk with one punch, completely destroy a future version of Iron Man, etc.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
    blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@senglord said:

@segamarvel: problem with this not being POS is that it makes all the Ironman vs the Hulk into PIS, which it is not. Tony has too many speed, strength, and durability feats to get ripped open like a tin can by someone who is only a 20-25 ton class. Iron Man sports better combat stats than Captain Marvel, who would wreck Spiderman.

This feat is not PIS because it even shows Spider-Man using his wall crawling ability to rip pieces off. Yes, the pieces would not come of if hit by brute force, but Spider-Man's wall crawling attraction to objects has always been portrayed as EXTREMELY strong (usually, when he is hit of a wall, the pieces of the wall still stay stuck to his fingers). I don't think it would have been too hard for Peter to remove a small piece of the armor that way - thus lowering the overall structural integrity of the armor, and making it easier for him to remove bigger pieces.

And this is not a one-time occurrence - he punched of Tony's faceplate in OMD (although his stats were boosted).

I understand the way you are thinking that this makes Iron Man vs Hulk PIS (although IIRC, Savage Hulk is only 80 tons when calm, only a couple times stronger than Spidey) because Hulk has never done that. However, you are forgetting that Peter is a genius who is at least on Tony's level. He could have analyzed the armor on the fly, and taken out its weakpoints -something most of Tony's foes would never be able to do.

chuckwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be honest Spider-man ripping Ironman's armor off all depends on one factor. That being if it's one of the versions that is electromagnetically reinforced or not. If it doesn't have the force field reinforcing it then Peter simply has to overcome the tensile strength of the metal itself. Something that's fairly easy to do with someone of his strength level with any material short of adamatium.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Noone301994

It's called writer favoritism and PIS.

Spider-Man is one of the most popular and most loved characters on Earth. That wank definitely contributes to his inconsistent feats. One moment he's struggling against Morlun or Kraven, the next moment he's hurting the Thing and ripping apart Iron Man's suits. It's simply bad writing. As much as everybody wishes this dolt was a high tier superhero, he isn't. He's like a 20-25 tonner who can't even tank bullets.

Zearing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

It was never said exactly what type of radiation that the spider that bit Peter was exposed to.

While gamma enhancing his adrenal glands, because the dose was diluted he doesn't transform but can tap beyond his normal resting strength of 10 tons when angered or in times of great need or stress.

Such a lifting a 40 ton subway car over head... yes I looked up the weight of a new york subway car on Wikipedia.

That gamma powered adrenal glands are what allowed him to wipe the floor with Firelord, hold his own with the Silver Surfer, make a joke out of the X-men, beat the Fantastic 4 twice, knock out a just transformed Hulk with one punch, completely destroy a future version of Iron Man, etc.

I like this theory.

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

@noone301994: Morlun's really strong so it's understandable. He shouldn't struggle against Kraven though and it annoys me if he does.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_waffle: He's still weaker than Thing or Iron Man though. My point is, he struggles against his weaker classic villains one moment, then the next moment he's beating Firelord.

Zearing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@noone301994: Now that I think about it, what does his ability to tank bullets have to do with his strength level? Strength and durability are two completely different powers.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Noone301994

@zearing: It doesn't. You're right. But, again, that wasn't my point.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@zearing said:
    @chuckwolf said:

I like this theory.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zearing said:
    @chuckwolf said:

I like this theory.

I am sad this is 10 months old. I like that theory, I was going to ask when he knocked out a just transformed hulk.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.