Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17252 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Feelings on the future relationship between Mary Jane & SSM

• 61 results
    animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By animehunter

Not good at expressing my feelings here, so please bear with me.

With the current status-quo, with Dr Octopus taking over Peters life. I feel I need to say something.

Not with the fact that he took over Peter's life, but the fact that the relationship that will more than likely happen between him and Mary Jane. For a long time I have followed her story through out Amazing spider-man and other issues, as close as I follow Peter's exploits. And to see a relationship unfolding between the two really make me feel nauseous when ever I think about, so much so I have to lie down and remind myself that this is a story and nothing else, I can tell you it's been difficult.

Especially seeing this (SSM#2)

Superior Spider-man #2
    Superior Spider-man #2

And to top if off, I can't help thinking of what will happen to her emotionally, when she eventually does find out it was not Peter but Dr Octopus she was with. I believe it would be devastating for her and even if Peter does return, that trust and love she once had for him will be shattered and more than likely never recover. Because all Peter will be is as a reminder of what she did. In short it could very well mean the end of the Peter & Mary relationship forever, not even as friends.

I know it's irrational having these feeling & reactions over a fictional character, but I can't seem to help it. I guess for a long time (YEARS), since I was 8, Peter Parker and Mary Jane have been big part of my life, so much so, I have began treating them like real people and to have this happen to them really feels like I was just kicked it stomach and it will be a long time before I recover.

So I was wondering if anyone out there feels the same as I do, and would like to express their feelings on it.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By Strider1992

I honestly think Slott is just trolling us with this. Covers can be very misleading (look at the Ghost Rider Vs World War Hulk one for example). I do not believe that Spider-man and Mary Jane will be getting "together" as such but more to the point that she will be a more integrated part of Superior's life. Ie: Questioning him when he does something out of character, shunning down his advances on her etc..... I think Mary Jane will just play a big part in Superior but no necessarily a love interest.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By animehunter

@Strider92: I hope so

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By PunyParker

@Strider92: This really feels.....just wrong....they are "togrther" in #700.......lets hope you're right

silverageguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By silverageguy

In the words of Benjamin Grimm "what a revoltin' development!" After 50 years this is how Marvel rewards its loyal Spiderman fan bsse? first, they destroy the greatest love story in comic book history with a satanic bargain, then they erase 20 years of history.Now they put one of his greatest enemys into his body,give him his life, and kill off Peter Parker. It doesnt matter if Peter returns at some futute date. Shame on the Marvel editorial board for plunging us down this rat hole in the first place. This is no way to celebrate the 50th anniversary of a beloved American icon. I just cant tolerate this kind of convoluted nonsense. I will not be part of this travesty anymore.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

Its kind of creepy...

AllNewOverseer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By AllNewOverseer

If they don't get together then I will still feel VERY dirty until Peter returns and sets the world right. If they do... then I will call it as I see it. Namely as Marvel peeing on Peter Parker's grave.

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Superguy0009e

I think what Slott is trying to do is use Mary Jane as an anchor for Otto. Maybe she can put him on the path to good while Peter isn't around.

Give this time, we have no idea what will come from this.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By darthfury78

We all know that Dr. Ock is Slott's favorite character.

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By gotwillpower

It's not that bad. I think the interaction in 700 was much more "nauseating" (And in 698? I was really worried then). Superior isn't the same person though. It's not truly Doc Ock, so it's not as bad. Nevertheless, anyone other than the authentic Peter Parker with Mary Jane is messed up.

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mutant God

A guy switches body with another guy and living that guy's life seems so wrong the relationship is one lie especially to Mary Jane

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PunyParker

Is it me or...hot red hair....tentacles....EBEbeowjdpsjfddf no no no no...STOP!!

ock you sick bastard! not me....HIM!!

NightHaunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NightHaunter

I think either Bleeding Cool or CV had a good little piece on whether this is rape.

Personally I think any sexual interaction involving Superior SM is creepy and wrong. If a woman sleeps with Otto believing he is Parker he has deceived them and raped them. I think it could be a valid part of the story if the deception part is explored, and he doesn't just start a relationship with MJ.

Makes me glad Gwen isn't alive to see this!

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#14  Edited By Teerack

It literally makes me sick. It's rape, and it's disgusting.

And if Mary Jane is fooled by Doc Ock's ruses and never figures it out she does NOT love Peter Parker. I like Peter and Mary, but if she can't see through this her "love" for him in my eyes will always been tainted and I will never consider her Peter Parker's "true" love again.

muhabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By muhabba

@silverageguy said:

In the words of Benjamin Grimm "what a revoltin' development!" After 50 years this is how Marvel rewards its loyal Spiderman fan bsse? first, they destroy the greatest love story in comic book history with a satanic bargain, then they erase 20 years of history.Now they put one of his greatest enemys into his body,give him his life, and kill off Peter Parker. It doesnt matter if Peter returns at some futute date. Shame on the Marvel editorial board for plunging us down this rat hole in the first place. This is no way to celebrate the 50th anniversary of a beloved American icon. I just cant tolerate this kind of convoluted nonsense. I will not be part of this travesty anymore.

You are my soul mate. I agree 100% Plus if MJ & Superior Spider-Man hook-up with her thinking it's actually Peter, that's rape. How is this a good idea?

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By JakeN7

Stop crying "rape" people. Superior Spider-Man is basically a hybrid of Peter and Otto. He's pretty much a completely different person (not to mention he's still a fictional one.) It's not as if the nerdy, chubby, dude with a bowl cut is violating her with his tentacle arms. She's choosing to do whatever she's gonna do consensually, albeit under false pretenses.

@Strider92 said:

I honestly think Slott is just trolling us with this. Covers can be very misleading (look at the Ghost Rider Vs World War Hulk one for example). I do not believe that Spider-man and Mary Jane will be getting "together" as such but more to the point that she will be a more integrated part of Superior's life. Ie: Questioning him when he does something out of character, shunning down his advances on her etc..... I think Mary Jane will just play a big part in Superior but no necessarily a love interest.

They tongue wrestled in #700 though...

@gotwillpower said:

It's not that bad. I think the interaction in 700 was much more "nauseating" (And in 698? I was really worried then). Superior isn't the same person though. It's not truly Doc Ock, so it's not as bad. Nevertheless, anyone other than the authentic Peter Parker with Mary Jane is messed up.

^ This

TrueMoonchilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TrueMoonchilde

@Teerack said:

And if Mary Jane is fooled by Doc Ock's ruses and never figures it out she does NOT love Peter Parker. I like Peter and Mary, but if she can't see through this her "love" for him in my eyes will always been tainted and I will never consider her Peter Parker's "true" love again.

^This.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By animehunter

I should also add to that I also can't help thinking of what will happen to her emotionally, when she eventually does find out it was not Peter but Dr Octopus she was with. I believe it would be devastating for her and even if Peter does return, that trust and love she once had for him will be shattered and more than likely never recover. Because all Peter will be is as a reminder of what she did. In short it could very well mean the end of the Peter & Mary relationship forever, not even as friends.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By animehunter
    muhabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By muhabba

@JakeN7 said:

Stop crying "rape" people. Superior Spider-Man is basically a hybrid of Peter and Otto. He's pretty much a completely different person (not to mention he's still a fictional one.) It's not as if the nerdy, chubby, dude with a bowl cut is violating her with his tentacle arms. She's choosing to do whatever she's gonna do consensually, albeit under false pretenses.

@Strider92 said:

They tongue wrestled in #700 though...

@gotwillpower said:

^ This

It doesn't matter if he is a composite of two people or not. If he and MJ are intimate it is technically, legally, morally, and in every way, rape. If a man climbs into a woman's home in the middle of the night, dressed as her husband and has sex with her, it is rape. This being comic books it is possible for someone to wear someones body like clothes but it makes no difference, it is still rape. Just because it wouldn't be violent & he wasn't forcing himself on her, it's rape. There's no way around it.

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By gotwillpower

@muhabba: lol First of all, they haven't had intercourse yet. Second, who the !@#$ cares? We haven't even read Superior Spider-man yet!

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By fodigg

I don't think they'll just throw them into an intimate relationship. I think we'll get a lot of close calls. Certainly it is and should be creepy. Otto is not Peter and this relationship will be built on false pretenses. The mitigating factor (the mind merge) doesn't eliminate those false pretenses either. If Slott does go into that territory, I hope he approaches that question head on rather than ducking it like so many other stories have that deal with similar fantastical bait-and-switch romances.

ngroove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ngroove

@silverageguy said:

AMEN to that!

ngroove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ngroove

@Teerack said:

Don't take it out on poor Mary Jane - Take it out on Spider-editorial, for continuing it.

Seriously, Mary Jane IS Pete's true love / soulmate - every one else, is either too bland (ex. Debra Whitman, Carlie Cooper), or too skanky ( ex. Black Cat), or has and will be too bland or skanky, subjectively my part, because she AIN'T Mary Jane! After all, if she ain't Mary Jane, you know it is so NOT destinied to last, could break as quickly as four issues, six issues, two years, gosh, how many times has Pete been dumped between 1962-1987, 2008-2012...

NightHaunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NightHaunter

@animehunter said:

There's an interview with Dan Slott I believe everyone should read. Personally it didn't alleviate any of my anxiety over the situation.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/dan-slott-amazing-spider-man-700-post-game-spoilers.html

Slott really is a bit creepy. If he was stupid enough to have them just enter a relationship (I wouldn't have a problem if the rape aspect is explored) I imagine the backlash would finish him.

And honestly if you don't think this is rape you're a moron.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Strider92: Why am I the only one who finds it strange and actually sort of insulting that Mary Jane doesn't suspect anything whatsoever in regards to "Peter's" behaviour? I mean, he constantly refers to her in a massively dis-respective manner and just brushes off everything she tries to say. Being the one who "knows him best", she should've caught on instantly.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Strider1992

@Deranged Midget: This is exactly what makes me think Slott saying Spider-man and Mary Jane getting back together is a play on words. I have a feeling that Mary Jane is going to suspect something and try and find out whats going on with Peter by keeping him close but intimately close. They won't be getting back together but they will be "together". Mary Jane will most likely just be playing a big supporting role rather than a love interest. At least thats how I see it.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Strider92: Well, if the cover to the second issue is any indication, Mary Jane is evidently disturbed by the kiss. Obviously, most covers are misleading but we can assume that Ock will try to pursue the relationship even further and perhaps, MJ will begin to catch on or she might've already been contacted by Carlie in regards to what Peter said to her before she was caught in crossfire.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Strider1992

@Deranged Midget: I think something like that will most likely be the case. I can't see a MJ/SpOck thing working (I've decided to call Superior Spider-man SpOck lol!)

On another note I finally decided on an avatar. I've been through like 6 today but i'm finally happy!

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#30  Edited By TDK_1997

I was surprised that MJ couldn't find out that something was different with Peter.He was calling her woman through the whole issue and she was fine with it.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Strider92: LOL! SpOck? That's pretty clever!

@TDK_1997: I know right!? For someone who claims to know him best, she is pretty oblivious.

Earth616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Earth616

@TDK_1997said:

I was surprised that MJ couldn't find out that something was different with Peter.He was calling her woman through the whole issue and she was fine with it.

I WAS THINKING THAT EXACT THING!!!!! How could she not know!?!?!?!?

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By animehunter

@Earth616 said:

@TDK_1997said:

I WAS THINKING THAT EXACT THING!!!!! How could she not know!?!?!?!?

I don't think she had any reason to suspect at the time, but if Carlie mentions to her what Peter said to her at the police station, then it's more than likely things regarding his behavior would fall into place.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Teerack

@ngroove: I'm sorry but it may be the editorial staff's fault she's tainted but she is now and forever will be tainted. You can go on thinking she is Peter's true love, but I will never see her that way, and I know I'm not alone in this point of view.

MJ is joining the forever tainted club with Gwen Stacy.

Lamenoire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Lamenoire
    @gotwillpower said:

in 700 Ock point was to" get something Peter didn't have for a long time". it was truly nauseating since he was in fact trying to get revenge on Peter through MJ... 

But we can see that it is gone in 15.1. This was a relief to me
    Lamenoire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Lamenoire
    @muhabba:  
    I want to point out something first. I agree with you : it is wrong.   
    But only morally.
    It is not Chameleon pretending to be peter. Legaly, Otto is now Peter Parker. otto isn't petending to be Peter Parker like Chameleon did. 

And technically, Superior is kind of an hybrid between them... In your opinion, if a part of otto's personnality went in Peter, it would be the exact same thing ?
    animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By animehunter

@Teerack: I'm sorry but I can't agree with your statement for both MJ and Gwen.

Gwen made a mistake and showed remorse for that decision.

Mary Jane, she is unaware of the situation, so the blame can't be place on her and remember it was Spider/ock who kissed her not the other way round, even if it was, remember she thought she was kissing Peter.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Teerack

@animehunter: Considering "Peter" has been acting so different you can actually put all the blame on MJ. And if it really was "true" love just looking like someone shouldn't be enough for her to be fooled. I'm willing to bet she'd do the Chameleon if he pretended to be Peter.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By animehunter

@Teerack: but as I said in a previous post

She didn't have any reason to suspect anything at the time, but if Carlie mentions to her what Peter said to her at the police station, then it's more than likely things regarding his behavior would fall into place.

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By gotwillpower

@Lamenoire said:

@gotwillpower said:

in 700 Ock point was to" get something Peter didn't have for a long time". it was truly nauseating since he was in fact trying to get revenge on Peter through MJ... But we can see that it is gone in 15.1. This was a relief to me

Oh, I don't think 15.1 is the end of it. I'm sure there are plenty more stomach-churning moments to come!

r3d_rob1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By r3d_rob1n

@animehunter said:

There's an interview with Dan Slott I believe everyone should read. Personally it didn't alleviate any of my anxiety over the situation.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/dan-slott-amazing-spider-man-700-post-game-spoilers.html

Slott says in this article, "it's the readers who are going, No! No! No! No! He's a menace! I don't like him! The readers have become J. Jonah Jameson." He wants the reader to become Jameson and turn against the new Spider-man, but why should I spend money to read about a character that I now despise? Doc Ock was one of Spidey's greatest villains, it is fun to read about him when Spidey thwarts him, but this twist in the story is a gross miscarriage of storytelling. The villain just defeated and killed one of the most noble people in the Marvel Universe, and now he is embarrassing every single hero that he comes into contact with. He is taking advantage of the Avenger's trust, Mary Jane's trust, Aunt May's trust. How can anyone view Spidey the same again after this travesty.

Marvel infuriates me. They had a perfect chance to retire Peter in a respectful way if they chose to do so. There were a number of ways that this could have gone down that didn't tarnish Spider-man and Peter. They could have reintroduced a better plotted clone saga (especially with Jackals recent resurgence), they could have injured Peter and had him become a guiding hand to a new Spider-man while still lending his unique character to the book. Instead they have put the mind of a murdering psychopath into one of the most beloved and powerful members of the Marvel Universe.

We all know this won't last forever, but in a way it will. Just as One More Day lives in infamy, so will this. Peter may return someday, but Spider-man and his supporting cast will never be the same. Change is not always a good thing.

muhabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By muhabba

@Lamenoire said:

@muhabba: I want to point out something first. I agree with you : it is wrong. But only morally.It is not Chameleon pretending to be peter. Legaly, Otto is now Peter Parker. otto isn't petending to be Peter Parker like Chameleon did. And technically, Superior is kind of an hybrid between them... In your opinion, if a part of otto's personnality went in Peter, it would be the exact same thing ?

My point is that it doesn't matter who is in Peter's head. As long a MJ thinks it is the real Peter, it's rape. Not violent, not forceful, but rape non the less.

Funkypanda123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Funkypanda123

Wait didnt peter make a deal with the devil so if he gets with mj againg aunt may dies :D

finally ow old is she like 150 its about time tey killed her of pete (otto)cant alway be a wimpy for her

Shes lived long engouh

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By animehunter

Found this article you might find interesting, Nothing official thought, that's what I a really want, an official statement from Marvel regarding this relationship.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/12/26/rape-redemption-and-the-amazing-spider-man-spoilers/

One of the things he says, is

She is certainly not consenting to have sex with Doctor Octopus. But the sex that she would be having, she seems totally to be consenting to. Indeed, Dan Slott specifically writes this scene so that Doctor Octopus is the one who is voicing his consent, Mary Jane Watson is the instigator here..

This statement really bothered me, because the only reason she would have instigated it, is because she doesn't know it's not Peter, and I doubt she would have if she did know, and to say it's ok because she instigated it, is a slap in the face of what's right.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By PunyParker

@animehunter: Whoa,whoa.....ok,express feeligs, bit c'mon the "Supreme court" and all this are a bit too much....its a fictional character....i dont care if its rape,or not...i care about Mary Jane who i got to love though so many years.....if it was any other woman in another comic,i wouldnt give a damn.....

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By animehunter

@PunyParker: Like you, If it wasn't Mary Jane I wouldn't be this involved, as for the article I only pointed to it because it gave a different view to the discussion.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#47  Edited By TDK_1997

@Deranged Midget: I was like 'Seriously?Come on MJ!He called you woman a couple of times,does Pete speak like that.'

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By PunyParker

@TDK_1997 said:

@Deranged Midget: I was like 'Seriously?Come on MJ!He called you woman a couple of times,does Pete speak like that.'

Yeah,you've got a huge point there....

Avatar image for gundamheavyarms
    GundamHeavyarms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By GundamHeavyarms

This is my only reservation about Superior. "Spock" sleeping with mary jane under false pretenses is sexual assault. I am interested in reading about how Ock will destroy peter's life. He may pretend to be a hero, but his ego and childish attitude will come through, he calls himself the superior spider man. When peter returns he will probably have no job, the avengers will see him differently and he'll be on the outs with mary jane. He'll be the outcast loner again.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By PunyParker

@GundamHeavyarms said:

This is my only reservation about Superior. "Spock" sleeping with mary jane under false pretenses is sexual assault. I am interested in reading about how Ock will destroy peter's life. He may pretend to be a hero, but his ego and childish attitude will come through, he calls himself the superior spider man. When peter returns he will probably have no job, the avengers will see him differently and he'll be on the outs with mary jane. He'll be the outcast loner again.

This is the PERFECT unnoficial reboot.....

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.