Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Did the 90's animated series predict the Superior Spider-Man?

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Mezmero

With the recent identity of Superior Spider-Man revealed it reminded me of something from the final arc of the 90's Spidey cartoon. In the episodes The Beyonder and Madame Web summon Spider-Men from different dimensions. Oddly enough one of them had Dr Octopus' tech and was using it in conjunction with his powers. I figured he was based on an existing alternate universe Spider-Man since the Scarlet Spider was in this episode but I can't seem to pin point any version of Peter Parker that had this sort of costume other than Civil War Spidey and quite possibly the upcoming Superior Spider-Man. Now this could be a complete coincidence (which it most undoubtedly is) but at the time I remember thinking about the implications behind the design of this particular Peter Paker.

The only thing this Spider-Man said about the arms was that they were a "souvenir" from his last fight with Doc Ock. He said it in a extremely sly manner so in retrospect it feels there was something sinister behind his story. Anyway it seemed like a version of Spidey that operated on a more efficient approach to crime. Such as adopting the technology of his greatest foes to become a better hero. I could be wrong but it seems like the same approach the Superior Spider-Man will take in his future crusade against crime. Yes I know I'm crazy. Just have a look at what I'm talking about.

No Caption Provided
    sky-pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By sky-pirate

That look is based on mini series Spider-Man: Funeral for an Octopus, where Peter briefly puts on (the recently deceased) Doc Ock's arms to fight Vulture, Hobgoblin, Electro and Mysterio.

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
    Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

lol just that, that's all I have to say.

Earth616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Earth616

No, that's a really cool observation!!! I would never have thought of that!!!

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By fodigg

Yeah, we've seen Pete use the octo-arms before.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mezmero

@fodigg: @sky-pirate: Good to know. I wasn't aware of that until now. I couldn't find that info on comic vine but I probably just didn't dig deep enough. Thanks.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Deranged Midget

No sir, although I'm sure Slott has drawn his inspiration from various sources, perhaps not specifically this one but the massive list goes on.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By PunyParker

ha!............

Sapperjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sapperjak

I remember that episode. I miss this series so much. All episodes are on netflix btw.

EscGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EscGamer

lol I saw it on Netflix and thought the same thing. Some superior though he got knocked out early on and wasn't even on the bosses yet just the henchmen. Although that fault lies with the arrogant Iron Spider Armor Parker thou

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mezmero

@EscGamer: Haha! Too true! Yeah I guess that clearly explains why he was not the chosen one in the Spider Wars.

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Phaedrusgr

Nice observation, man. Good job!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.