Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17251 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Did Dan Slott Just Give Kaine Spider-Man The Other powers?

Agm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Agm

Just realized upon rereading the last part of Spider Island that Kaine now has arm stingers. Does that mean he's super powered up like Peter was after The Other wrapped up?

Definitely an interesting way to acknowledge that in continuity.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2  Edited By InnerVenom123

Joe Kelly did in Grim Hunt, Slott just kept the thing going. Also, Pete acknowledged The Other as well when talking to Kaine.

Agm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Agm

Ah, i forgot about the end of Grim Hunt but the acknowledgement by Slott is neat. Makes Kaine a bit tougher and meaner Spider Character with a good twist on powers.

Avatar image for metropoliskid41
    MetropolisKid41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By MetropolisKid41

The Anti-Venom serum may have cured Kaine of the clone defect that plagued him but I'm gonna guess it didn't cure his way of thinking and brutality. I'm going to guess that Kaine is going to use those arm stingers to do a whole lot of killing and be kind of a cold "Eradicator like version" of Spidey. I think he'll walk the line of Anti-hero/villain before becoming an all out nemesis of Peter's.

Maybe Kaine as Venom, now that would be sweet!

fury714

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By fury714

He'll definitely be scarlet spider again, with just a very badass vigilante twist.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @InnerVenom123 said:

Joe Kelly did in Grim Hunt, Slott just kept the thing going. Also, Pete acknowledged The Other as well when talking to Kaine.

That really ticked me off, tbh. If it happened, WHY DOESN'T HE HAVE THE FREAKING POWERSET?
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Magian

He also has organic webbing now, don't think he had that one before.

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

That really ticked me off, tbh. If it happened, WHY DOESN'T HE HAVE THE FREAKING POWERSET?

Yeah, they never explained that, right?

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @ComicMan24: Nope, they just nerfed Pete and suped up all his villains and supporting cast, thus strengthening the theory that Marvel hate Spider-Man (sighs). 
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Magian

@FadeToBlackBolt:I would like to see those powers returning someday even though I don't see this happening anytime soon. Ohh well, at least he got his spider-sense back. That's something.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @ComicMan24: He should never have lost it in the first place. For whatever reason, Marvel is determined to have Peter, the centre of the Web, the weakest Spider-Family member. It's infuriating. 
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Magian

@FadeToBlackBolt:

Well at least he didn't lose it for long. The funny thing is that all the infected in Spider-Island had more powers than Peter since they all his powers plus organic web and spider-sense. And I do agree that an power upgrade wouldn't be bad.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @ComicMan24 said:

@FadeToBlackBolt:

Well at least he didn't lose it for long. The funny thing is that all the infected in Spider-Island had more powers than Peter since they all his powers plus organic web and spider-sense. And I do agree that an power upgrade wouldn't be bad.

The stand-out reason I refused to read it. Just an insult to Peter Parker. And I love Dan Slott. 
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Magian

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@ComicMan24 said:

@FadeToBlackBolt:

The stand-out reason I refused to read it. Just an insult to Peter Parker. And I love Dan Slott.

You didn't read it? I see. Well he also has the kung-fu now. That gave him the edge since he used it to take down three spider-upgraded villains in a panel.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By fodigg

Guys, why does Pete need to have additional powers? Isn't it better when he's the underdog? Plus, he has all his Big Time tech suit powers now.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By InnerVenom123

@fodigg said:

Guys, why does Pete need to have additional powers? Isn't it better when he's the underdog?

This.

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

Don't know, maybe we'll get a story out of it someday.

Also don't care, because "The Other" powerset was f**king stupid. "SPIDER-STINGERS!" "NIGHT VISION!" Um, yeah. That's why I love Peter Parker. Thedeadly stingers that pop out of his arms.

Kaine's far more suited to the powerset given its lethal potential.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @InnerVenom123 said:  

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

Also don't care, because "The Other" powerset was f**king stupid. "SPIDER-STINGERS!" "NIGHT VISION!" Um, yeah. That's why I love Peter Parker. Thedeadly stingers that pop out of his arm.

The strength boost and organic webbing (that he got in Disassembled, I just group it as The Other Powerset) was awesome, and actually allowed him to win without his opponents having to use the idiot ball. It was refreshing and necessary for the character. Now Spider-Woman beats him up. =( 

@fodigg said:

Guys, why does Pete need to have additional powers? Isn't it better when he's the underdog? Plus, he has all his Big Time tech suit powers now.

No, it's not better. When a rogues gallery is powered up increasingly, and the hero remains at the same level (or is depowered), story problems arise. Like how in God's name Spider-Man continues to beat Sandman. 
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

All the power shifting in Spider-Man needs to stop....

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By InnerVenom123

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

Also don't care, because "The Other" powerset was f**king stupid. "SPIDER-STINGERS!" "NIGHT VISION!" Um, yeah. That's why I love Peter Parker. Thedeadly stingers that pop out of his arm.

The strength boost and organic webbing (that he got in Disassembled, I just group it as The Other Powerset) was awesome, and actually allowed him to win without his opponents having to use the idiot ball. It was refreshing and necessary for the character. Now Spider-Woman beats him up. =(

The idiot ball referring to the fact that most of his "How does he beat him?!" rogues gallery members are morons? (Rhino, Sandman, Hydroman)? On the other hand, he also has regularly competent villains and, of course, the completely friggin ingenius ones.

I've read all of JMS's run recently, and from what I can tell, he never really uses his "strength boost" all that much anyway. The organic webbing only really came in handy when he swamped Iron Man in OMD, but that was kinda.... well, OMD.

You really need to read Spider-Island. Desperately. The entire thing is a giant love letter to Spider-man, especially near the end. He starts off losing H2H to Spider-Woman due to her superior training and then ends up..... well, IDK if you've heard how Spider-Island's ending goes, so I won't say anything. :P

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By TheCrowbar

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@fodigg said:

No, it's not better. When a rogues gallery is powered up increasingly, and the hero remains at the same level (or is depowered), story problems arise. Like how in God's name Spider-Man continues to beat Sandman.

Spider-Kitten.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By InnerVenom123

@TheCrowbar said:

@fodigg said:

Spider-Kitten.

No Caption Provided

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By fodigg

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@fodigg said:

Cleverness? Experience? Grit? This is what makes drama worthwhile. The hero should be outgunned.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @fodigg said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@fodigg said:

Cleverness? Experience? Grit? This is what makes drama worthwhile. The hero should be outgunned.

If your hero is always weaker than their villain, then plot contrivances are a necessity. Lex Luthor is a million times weaker than Superman, doesn't take away the drama at all. 
    Avatar image for grandsymbiote94
    GrandSymbiote94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By GrandSymbiote94
    @InnerVenom123 said:

@TheCrowbar said:

@fodigg said:

Spider-Kitten.

No Caption Provided

Don't forget Venom pigeon. LOL
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By fodigg

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@fodigg said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@fodigg said:

If your hero is always weaker than their villain, than plot contrivances are a necessity. Lex Luthor is a million times weaker than Superman, doesn't take away the drama at all.

So a person overcoming the odds is automatically a "plot contrivance?" (Isn't "contrivance" a positive thing? I assume you're using it as a negative. Wouldn't every plot be a "contrivance?") I'm not saying that heroes should be weak, powerless little kittens, but they should be threatened by the villain.

Also, I'd say that Superman frequently does suffer from being "too powerful," sucking the drama out of the books and requiring elaborate circumstances for villains to be a credible menace to him. Furthermore, the menace of characters like Lex Luthor come from their massive influence, allowing him to control and threaten the lives of those around Superman, an option that doesn't really work for the noble hero.

The villain has to be a credible threat, and giving a bunch of newfangled powers to your hero doesn't really facilitate that unless you're taking away old powers or adding new weakness. Otherwise you just have constant "power level" escalation which can get tiresome. I'm not saying that changing your hero's power set should never be done, but it should be done because the new powers are interesting or serve a purpose in the plot, not because it's somehow "necessary."

Joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Joeybagad0nutz

@InnerVenom123: You have a scan from when Spider-woman beat Spider-man? I keep hearing about this but I've never seen this.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#26  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

So when Kaine cut his hair was he using his acid touch or Veet hair removal cream?

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#27  Edited By Strider1992

@spiderbat87: Yeah he was using "the mark of kaine" to burn it off.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#28  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Strider92 said:

@spiderbat87: Yeah he was using "the mark of kaine" to burn it off.

cool, I wasn't sure if he still had that
    Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Strider1992

@spiderbat87 said:

cool, I wasn't sure if he still had that

Well it wasn't an ability unique to him. Peter used it on Sasha Kravinoff during "Grim Hunt". It's just him using his ability to stick to walls on peoples faces so as long as he doesn't lose the ability to stick to walls he won't lose the mark.

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#30  Edited By Deadcool

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

... Good question, but for some reason, I don't care for the answer that much, I really liked those powers, for me it was such a waste when Peter lost them after OMD, but I was happy because I like Peter to have the regular powers again, he needs more effort to fight his villains, and now that he has Kung Fu and tech I am more happy, also now that Kaine has those powers is no longer a waste.

Spider-man - The Other powers
    Spider-man - The Other powers
    jaredbright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jaredbright

Marvel doesn't care what is what anymore. That's why I stopped reading. When I did start reading again, it was always disapointing that they never explained if Spider-man was magic, if not, what was with the magic stuff.

I know Marvel doesn't care that much, but you think Dan Slott would atleast explain that stuff for fans. They can call it an apology if they want. Cuz that stuff in that two or so years was the worst comics I'd eve read. I'm talking the OTher and everything that surrounded it.

They should do it for fans, but they mostly want new fans I suppose.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Strider1992

@jaredbright said:

Marvel doesn't care what is what anymore. That's why I stopped reading. When I did start reading again, it was always disapointing that they never explained if Spider-man was magic, if not, what was with the magic stuff.

I know Marvel doesn't care that much, but you think Dan Slott would atleast explain that stuff for fans. They can call it an apology if they want. Cuz that stuff in that two or so years was the worst comics I'd eve read. I'm talking the OTher and everything that surrounded it.

They should do it for fans, but they mostly want new fans I suppose.

I agree the whole "Other" thing was rather annoying (although I did think Morlun was a kick ass villian). I don't know why they had to go into the whole mystical side. They could have given Peter the extra powers and still kept the premise he was shedding his skin to go from juvenile to adult thus granting him the new powers. The whole magic connection was pretty pointless imo.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#33  Edited By TDK_1997

Kaine is now a bad ass Spidey.

dstorres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#34  Edited By dstorres

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@ComicMan24: He should never have lost it in the first place. For whatever reason, Marvel is determined to have Peter, the centre of the Web, the weakest Spider-Family member. It's infuriating.

They took away the Spider-Sense to augment him. How you ask (or not)? He had to come up with ways to protect himself without his danger sense. Also, he had to actually learn how to fight (danger sense being crutch). Other villains have figured out how to negate his spider-sense, it was time he learned how to rely on himself, not a power.@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@ComicMan24 said:

@FadeToBlackBolt:

The story is actually his magnum ops (IMHO). He overcame all his short comings to reach his full potential as a hero. In doing so he has now become a bigger bad @ss. You are truly missing a great (again IMHO) story. Everything that BND did wrong, Slott has done right (yes, I know slott wrote some of BND). Peter is a genius. He's using that genius to not only enhance himself, but help others doing so.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.