Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17243 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

"Dead No More" Who would you want back from the dead?

• 91 results
    animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Poll "Dead No More" Who would you want back from the dead? (60 votes)

Gwen Stacy 5%
    Uncle Ben 7%
    Silver Sable 10%
    Ben Reilly 15%
    Kaine 23%
    Mattie Franklin 2%
    Madame Web (The Original) 3%
    Doctor Octopus 15%
    Other 20%

"Dead No More" has been revealed to be tied to Spider-Man in some way, Source CBR.

From Marvel: "If you got a chance to bring back someone who died, would you? And how will CLASSIFIED deal when ones they thought long dead once again walk the earth?"

And the answer to how it's tied will be revealed within the pages of FCBD Captain America #1 on May 7th.

So, now that we know this, who would you like to see return from the dead.

• 
    kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want it to be Doctor Octopus as the Superior Spider-Man. But it is probably going to be Uncle Ben, Gwen Stacy and/or Ben Reilly.

DevilMayehm666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By DevilMayehm666

I want it to be Mattie Franklin. I liked her in The Loners mini-series and CB Cebulski wanted to(and promised to) write more about her. Sadly, the higher-ups at Marvel killed her in Grim Hunt in order to push Anya as Spider-Girl(they also crapped on Julia Carpenter). And boy, was her death handled poorly as she was just an another helpless woman being fridged. Worse part was that they didn't have it impact her family the Jamesons(she was JJJ's niece who he viewed as a daughter and adopted to make up for his failed relationship with his son) or her mentor Jessica Drew. They acted liked she didn't even exist.

Most readers didn't know who Mattie was when she was killed, but now she has become more known than ever with the popularity of the Jessica Jones Netflix series and recent reprints of Jessica Jones: Alias that the series is based on. I've seen Mattie mentioned in many articles and discussions about the series lately. Alias featured the Jamesons being horrified about their niece being kidnapped, used as a sort of MGH and involuntary prostitute. In the end she is saved by both Jones and Drew. So the Jamesons and Jessica not being impacted by Mattie's death is insultingly bad storytelling and I'm glad many people are noticing it.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3 dernman  Online
    • Gwen Stacy: Needs to stay dead.
    • Uncle Ben: Needs to stay dead.
    • Silver Sable: Don't really care.
    • Ben Reilly: No more Spiders
    • Kaine: No more Spiders.
    • Mattie Franklin: No more Spiders
    • Madame Web (The Original): Don't really care.
    • Doctor Octopus: He already is alive.
    • Other: Still thinking about it.
    DevilMayehm666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: I think Mattie would be a great depowered support character in Silk.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dernman  Online

@dernman: I think Mattie would be a great depowered support character in Silk.

There is just one problem with that. I want Silk gone. :p

DevilMayehm666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: Surpised there are still people hating on Silk.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dernman  Online
    DevilMayehm666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: Apparently she is pretty likable in her series.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about we kill off all the spider people like Silk, Gwen, Miles etc.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dernman  Online

@dernman: Apparently she is pretty likable in her series.

If you say so. All I've noticed was the opposite in opinion.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dernman  Online

I wish,

Though Peter can stay if he drops the Tony Stark,

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:
    @nerevarine_11 said:

I wish,

How about you stop hating and just deal with reality?)

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubear: Lol. The hating fallacy. Because anything negative is "bad" and isn't warranted by logical criticism or reasoning behind it. Christ almighty, these kids.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubear: Lol. The hating fallacy. Because anything negative is "bad" and isn't warranted by logical criticism or reasoning behind it. Christ almighty, these kids.

Denial, heh?) You know, suggestion that someone shoud "kill off" a lot of someone is not just negative, but pretty much hate.

SpideyJJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone who's dead should stay dead, imo.

Knowing Marvel it's probably Gwen stacy, they seem to have a boner for her nowadays

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Zarius

Ideally, I'd like it to be baby May/Annie May to further ride the momentum and good will of RYV, but OMIT established Peter and MJ didn't even try to have kids after Peter missed the wedding. It would also mean MJ would have to return to the Spider-books so soon after being established as a supporting player in Iron Man and Bendis already said he has no plans to hand her back over to the Spider-Office (though he'll be making use of Peter in a guest stint in April over in that book)

My safe money is on Uncle Ben or Gwen. Either one offers some awkward moments (how does Peter define himself with Ben alive? What will Ben do now that Aunt May's moved on? If it's Gwen, will she meet her kids she had with Osborn? Will the Spider-Marriage return in 2017, only this time with Peter getting hitched to Gwen?)

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
    blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By blackspidey2099

@dernman: So you want Peter to continue ignoring his greatest power? Not very responsible (and in-character) for Peter, is it?

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By dernman  Online

@blackspidey2099 said:

@dernman: So you want Peter to continue ignoring his greatest power? Not every responsible (and in-character) for Peter, is it?

Peter Starker is a OOC Peter Parker that ignore who and what the character really is. It's fan fiction that completely ignores the core of the character. There is no way around it. There real Peter Parker Spider man had been gone for a long time and Slott is the one killing him.

Lets not lie to ourselves and pretend that Peter Starker is anything about the actual character.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By dernman  Online
    @rubear said:
    @dernman said:
    @nerevarine_11 said:

I wish,

How about you stop hating and just deal with reality?)

You want to call it hate? Fine I'll play along with that fallacy. I hate garbage ideas that over saturate a concept in the same universe which kills uniqueness.

But hey if you like to swim in the trash and pretend it's ambrosia with a smile on you face that's on you. I'd rather actually face the reality head on admit trash is trash and call for them to fix it.

Shadowmaster91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Shadowmaster91

To clarify something, the "No More" sounds like a character that has been dead for a long time then it can not be any character that has died recently. Also, it can not Ben or Gwen because:

-Ben is the drive for Spiderman to be an hero. His dead is what keeps him moving.

-Gwen was replaced by Silk, if she returned, what would be her importance in the story? Gwen can not return as girlfriend (the time of human/normal girlfriends for Spiderman ended long ago (but nevertheless, I would love to see the faces of Carlie Cooper, MJ, Silk and Anna Maria if Gwen returned to take back her Peter Parker)), and she has nothing special to be a superhero (and also, would need to explain to Peter about the twins (imagine that))

I don't know all the characters from Spiderman that died to think which could come back.

PS: Does anyone know what happened to the Ultimate version of Aunt May and Gwen?

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kcomicfan

@dernman: I completely disagree. At his core Peter Parker is a genius Superhero who is fighting crime because he was taught that "With great power comes great responsibility". How is it out of character for Peter to use his power as a CEO to help people? How is it out of character for Peter to use his intelligence? This is the guy who created web shooters at the age of 15 after all.

The real Peter Parker is still here and he is doing good. And Slott is the one who is making sure of that.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By dernman  Online

@kcomicfan said:

@dernman: I completely disagree. At his core Peter Parker is a genius Superhero who is fighting crime because he was taught that "With great power comes great responsibility". How is it out of character for Peter to use his power as a CEO to help people? How is it out of character for Peter to use his intelligence? This is the guy who created web shooters at the age of 15 after all.

The real peter Parker has not been gone for a long time. And Slott is the one who is making sure of that.

We've had this discussion before and I've given my reasons. Do you really want to get into that all over again?

R.I.P. Peter Parker

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By kcomicfan
    @dernman said:
    @kcomicfan said:

The real peter Parker has not been gone for a long time. And Slott is the one who is making sure of that.

We've had this discussion before and I've given my reasons. Do you really want to get into that all over again?

R.I.P. Peter Parker

Clearly I do as Slott’s portrayal of Peter Parker does not conflict with the core of the character.

Just because you say it, does not make it true.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By dernman  Online

@kcomicfan said:
    @dernman said:
    @kcomicfan said:

R.I.P. Peter Parker

Clearly I do as Slott’s portrayal of Peter Parker does not conflict with the core of the character.

No the fact that he's writing Peter Starker does.

Seriously though if you want to keep having that discussion go back and reread it. It's one of the reasons I've pretty much left the spider-man thread because it was going in circles with no end in site. THat and the fact there is hardly anything positive to talk about in the Spider universe anymore.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:
    @kcomicfan said:
    @dernman said:
    @kcomicfan said:

R.I.P. Peter Parker

So the best rebuttal you could come up with is an insulting fan nickname? No wonder I can’t remember your original argument.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By dernman  Online

@kcomicfan said:
    @dernman said:
    @kcomicfan said:
    @dernman said:
    @kcomicfan said:

R.I.P. Peter Parker

So the best rebuttal you could come up with is an insulting fan nickname? No wonder I can’t remember your original argument.

Reread my post for the edit. That should explain why I don't go further but hey I see you just rather repeat the whole constant arguing and toss implied insults back and forth because someone dare criticize a piece of work you like .... well that's on you. I'd rather do something else.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: If you don't want to defend your point that is fine by me. My point still stands.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By dernman  Online

@kcomicfan: I've already defended my point in the past. You were one of the people I've defended it too. All we would be doing is repeating the cycle and wasting time. So if your point is about me not doing so again or you not remembering it really doesn't.

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: Like I said, how is Peter finally using his greatest power (his super genius intellect) responsibly OOC? Is his motto not "With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility"? Then how can one come to the conclusion that completely ignoring Peter's intellect is in character when he could help orders of magnitude more people with his intellect than with his powers? Peter "Starker", as you call him, is the first realistic portrayal of a grown up, mature Spider-Man that we've ever got. If anything, THIS is the real Peter Parker, not the adolescent stuck in an adult's body who can't get a job that we've been reading about all these years.

And intelligence is Spidey's core quality, as introduced in his very first issue. Don't let your selfish desire for more of the same block the natural evolution of a character.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dernman  Online

@dernman: Like I said, how is Peter finally using his greatest power (his super genius intellect) responsibly OOC? Is his motto not "With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility"? Then how can one come to the conclusion that completely ignoring Peter's intellect is in character when he could help orders of magnitude more people with his intellect than with his powers? Peter "Starker", as you call him, is the first realistic portrayal of a grown up, mature Spider-Man that we've ever got. If anything, THIS is the real Peter Parker, not the adolescent stuck in an adult's body who can't get a job that we've been reading about all these years.

And intelligence is Spidey's core quality, as introduced in his very first issue. Don't let your selfish desire for more of the same block the natural evolution of a character.

blah blah blah we've been over this already and you failed in your argument then as you're doing now. Call me when Spider-Man comes back to comics.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: As I said it is fine. I have proven my point and you have proven yours.

Like I said, how is Peter finally using his greatest power (his super genius intellect) responsibly OOC? Is his motto not "With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility"? Then how can one come to the conclusion that completely ignoring Peter's intellect is in character when he could help orders of magnitude more people with his intellect than with his powers? Peter "Starker", as you call him, is the first realistic portrayal of a grown up, mature Spider-Man that we've ever got. If anything, THIS is the real Peter Parker, not the adolescent stuck in an adult's body who can't get a job that we've been reading about all these years.

QFTT

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dernman  Online

@kcomicfan: As I said it is fine. I have proven my point and you have proven yours.

ok

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By blackspidey2099

@dernman: The fact that your only response is crying and ignoring opposing argument exemplifies the incorrectness of your point of view. Keep whining if you want, but please don't ruin the fun of those who actually like to read an in character Spider-Man.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Zarius

@blackspidey2099 said:

@dernman: Like I said, how is Peter finally using his greatest power (his super genius intellect) responsibly OOC? Is his motto not "With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility"? Then how can one come to the conclusion that completely ignoring Peter's intellect is in character when he could help orders of magnitude more people with his intellect than with his powers? Peter "Starker", as you call him, is the first realistic portrayal of a grown up, mature Spider-Man that we've ever got.

That's a laugh. It really is.

I have yet to see any evidence in the current comic where Peter has acted mature in his role. I've seen better examples of more assertive maturity in Spider-Girl, pre-1999, post-Mackie/pre-OMD, and Renew Your Vows. I strongly disagree also that Peter has been acting in-character, and plenty of fans have made arguments for this very case in places such as the Crawlspace, the "Hell Yeah Mr and Mrs Spider-Man/Web-Swinging Avenger" tumblrs, and Douglas Ernst's blog. (And yes, I know you're very flippant when it comes to Doug, but he's made very articulate points over the years and done a lot to expose Dan Slott as a public relations nightmare and charlatan)

This is NOT "natural evolution" either. Peter did not earn Parker Industries, and he should still be married, nothing he's done since OMD has been the "right" course of events because the natural growth was interrupted by chaos magic. Peter's natural path was to let go of Aunt May and build a life with MJ. Everything established since in the Mephistoverse is a lie. Fortunately, we still believe in Spider-Men who are richer in their more humbler experiences than they are in wealth. And who have proven to be truly happy and produced healthy families with legacies to boot, all while maintaining his smarts and the core everyman feel that everyone can identify with and relate to.

I'm not having a go at anyone here either, but I find it just a little weird Kcomic can say "just because you say it does'nt make it true" and then right afterwards says "the real Spider-Man is here" , as if that is somehow fact in itself. Just because you say that doesn't make it true either mate, it works both ways.

It baffles me how in 2016, people on both sides of the debate are STILL having these "the real Spider-Man is here" arguments. Slott already said last year ANY Spider-Man you care about is the real one. It means nothing to an argument at this stage. If you like/settle for Parker Industries Parker, good on you, but we as contrarians are entitled to what we believe, and what we believe is this Peter Parker is certainly NOT the Spider-Man we want to read about. There is NOTHING "incorrect" about how we feel and NOTHING "wrong" with how we interpret the character.

You may think it's us being "afraid of change" or whatever, but it's not. It depends on everything from execution to what we can get out of this character. Frankly, the biggest problem I have with Parker Industries besides relatability issues is that It's boring.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dernman  Online

@dernman: The fact that your only response is crying and ignoring opposing argument exemplifies the incorrectness of your point of view. Keep whining if you want, but please don't ruin the fun of those who actually like to read an in character Spider-Man.

Why are you still talking to me with your nonsensical thoughts?

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Zarius

@shadowmaster91 said:

nevertheless, I would love to see the faces of Carlie Cooper, MJ, Silk and Anna Maria if Gwen returned to take back her Peter Parker))

Would'nt really make a dent. MJ remains the overall winner given she's still interpreted as Peter's wife across a wide range of continuities, has several children with Peter in those canons, and it takes only a mere step back in time to shoot the Mephisto pidgeon to restore the one true relationship in Peter's life in this reality, which you know will happen one day when we get MJ fanboys in the office.

Gwen's got a lot of catching up to do.

Shadowmaster91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius: Sorry, thanks to a mistake from the computer I can not say the long explanation that i did.

In summary, thanks to Mephisto, Doctor Oct and the Secret wars, everybody is in the same page. And each girl needed to overcome her shadow when trying to for a relationship with Peter..... i think I forgot to include felicia.....

PS: Do you know what happened to the Ultimate version of Aunt May and Gwen?

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius: May and Gwen?

Beats me where that's concerned. Bendis could pick up on it, but I presume Reed is busy recreating the Ultimate Universe (minus Miles) and Gwen and May are still there (presumably with Ultimate Peter and MJ). That doesn't necessarily make it true, but until Marvel make some definitive statement on it, that's what I'm assuming for fanon purposes,.

Shadowmaster91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius: Didn't 616 and 1610 completely destroyed? i know that Reed is doing something, but I though that he was recreating as something new and not using the old........

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius: Didn't 616 and 1610 completely destroyed? i know that Reed is doing something, but I though that he was recreating as something new and not using the old........

It has'nt been established why some flotsam and jetsam from some universes haven't been given their own realties again (like Old Man Logan, Miles, Squadron Supreme, Regent etc) but Web-Warriors establishes several of the old universes are rebuilt exactly as they were before the Incursions and inheritor attacks. If they weren't, the Peter Parkers of those worlds would be alive, including Mayday's father.

Shadowmaster91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius: (sigh) Mayday, she was incredible (said in a dreamy voice)

anjuwayo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Think things would be weird with Gwen back,but we allready have spider-gwen... I realy want Ben back, but Kaine is more darker and stronger and has more abilities... Kaine is awesome.. The baby of MJ and Spidey, that we all know she bargained to survive with Mephisto, would be interesting to...

clonesaga2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ben Reilly would be my first choice, but I feel his story has more or less been told. The only thing bringing him back would accomplish is putting him at the mercy of Dan Slott, and I don't want Ben run through the dirt.

That's why I picked Kaine, his story still needs to be told. We've seen him go from a killer, to sacrificing himself for his brother, Peter, and taking the steps to becoming a hero. However, his story arc isn't quite done, he still needs to be able to make some sort of peace with his past. Yost was moving him towards this. Furthermore, there's a certain Aztec Demigoddess who still has a whole adventure ahead of her, and she's going to need her Spider champion.

Gwen should stay dead, and honestly I'm a little Gwen fatigued, so I don't wanna see her around. Spider-Gwen is alright, but I really want Mary Jane Watson to get some character development, because she's totally being thrown under the bus to make Gwen look better.

Uncle Ben is not an option, he's like Thomas and Martha Wane, he needs to stay dead.

BONUS: I'd also like MC 2 Peter to come back, and for May to go back to the Ben Reilly suit.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By kcomicfan

@zarius: Many fans like me and Blackspidey2099 have also made a case for why Peter is currently in character and why the current status quo fits the character, there has been pages worth of debate on the topic so I don't get your point.

When we say "Natural evolution" we mean that the evolution is natural for the character of Peter Parker. Peter is a genius who created advanced technology at the age of 15 and as I said above this fits with the core of the character because the core of the character is a genius nerd who has superpowers and is fighting crime because "With great power comes great responsibility". The new status quo is not a lie because according to Marvel the events that happened after OMD are a part of the official canon of the Marvel universe.

If there is nothing incorrect about how you feel and nothing wrong with how you interpret the character, then there is nothing wrong with how me and BlackSpidey2099 feel and there is nothing incorrect about how we interpret the character, and if that is true I don't understand how you could call Blackspidey2099's interpretation of Spider-Man "a Laugh".

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius: Well, please enlighten me about how this is OOC (or provide a link to wherever). As far as I see, this is completely in-character because Peter is finally using his greatest power responsibly. In fact, Peter ignoring his intelligence for most of his life is far more OOC because he is treating Uncle Ben's final words very flippantly (or he's being an idiot who doesn't realize that he can do much more good with his intelligence than just his powers).

This is a natural evolution of the character - despite not starting Parker Industries, all its success is due to HIM, not Ock or anyone else. All he needed was the kickstart that Ock's starting of the company provided to him. As you know, I completely agree that Peter's natural path is to build a life with MJ, but just think of how irresponsible he would be if he willingly sacrificed his children's quality of life by continuing as a photographer or teacher rather than becoming a billionaire with his super genius intelligence. That would be even more OOC than him staying "poor" without a family, because it shows that he does not care enough about his family to improve their quality of life (and before you try to refute this, Peter can and would spend similar amounts of time with his family whether he was rich or poor, so don't say that Peter would be "richer in his heart" if he were to stay poor, because he could have both his family and money and the influence to make the world a better place if he used his intelligence). I don't understand why you feel Spidey cannot be truly happy and with a healthy family if he is rich - are you just rolling with the stereotype that rich people are "to greedy to care about their family" or whatever? I'd hope that you'd understand that even if it were true, Peter is one of the few who'd never fall into that trap because he isn't doing it for money, but to make the world a better place.

And it's funny how you call this Peter a lie and then say that either opinion is okay. Contradictions much? Besides, I don't think either Kcomicfan or me were calling your opinion incorrect, just engaging in a friendly debate about my (and probably his/her) favourite character.

@Dernman Like I said, although you've emphatically lost this debate, there's no hard feelings. Maybe you should stop being butt hurt and chill.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 dernman  Online

@zarius: Well, please enlighten me about how this is OOC (or provide a link to wherever). As far as I see, this is completely in-character because Peter is finally using his greatest power responsibly. In fact, Peter ignoring his intelligence for most of his life is far more OOC because he is treating Uncle Ben's final words very flippantly (or he's being an idiot who doesn't realize that he can do much more good with his intelligence than just his powers).

This is a natural evolution of the character - despite not starting Parker Industries, all its success is due to HIM, not Ock or anyone else. All he needed was the kickstart that Ock's starting of the company provided to him. As you know, I completely agree that Peter's natural path is to build a life with MJ, but just think of how irresponsible he would be if he willingly sacrificed his children's quality of life by continuing as a photographer or teacher rather than becoming a billionaire with his super genius intelligence. That would be even more OOC than him staying "poor" without a family, because it shows that he does not care enough about his family to improve their quality of life (and before you try to refute this, Peter can and would spend similar amounts of time with his family whether he was rich or poor, so don't say that Peter would be "richer in his heart" if he were to stay poor, because he could have both his family and money and the influence to make the world a better place if he used his intelligence). I don't understand why you feel Spidey cannot be truly happy and with a healthy family if he is rich - are you just rolling with the stereotype that rich people are "to greedy to care about their family" or whatever? I'd hope that you'd understand that even if it were true, Peter is one of the few who'd never fall into that trap because he isn't doing it for money, but to make the world a better place.

And it's funny how you call this Peter a lie and then say that either opinion is okay. Contradictions much? Besides, I don't think either Kcomicfan or me were calling your opinion incorrect, just engaging in a friendly debate about my (and probably his/her) favourite character.

@Dernman Like I said, although you've emphatically lost this debate, there's no hard feelings. Maybe you should stop being butt hurt and chill.

lol You're still talking to me with nonesense. I'm embarrassed for you.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Zarius

@kcomicfan: Marvel citing post-OMD history as canon means nothing. It's no different from DC promoting post-Flashpoint history as their official canon. Hell, just last year the "official" Marvel canon was Battleworld and nothing else. We as readers who experienced all of those events know different realities came out of them. The key difference as a reader is you either adapt or reject it. Some readers, like yourself, can adapt because it matches some of your preferences for the character, and that's fine, but others, like myself, don't buy into those realities (though I am a bit more accepting of New 52 than I am of the Mephistoverse), they distract and interrupt the true course of events in favour of an unnecessary do-over or pushing an editorial agenda. When an agenda becomes apparent in the comics I'm reading, I tend to look the other way and dismiss it until it's "fixed", like how JMS "fixed" Mackie's run or how Slott proved he could write the more traditional status quoes well with Learning to Crawl and RYV.

The MC2 Universe I say is a more "natural" representation of Peter's life as he has a decent job utilizing his smarts in service to the NYPD and raising two children (and, btw, Quesada even called Spider-Girl's comic the "natural extension" or something to that extent nine years ago, that is'nt just my subjective viewpoint, that's word-of-god) that universe has most of the original history from 1962-1998 as a backdrop to it's continuity (essentially all the NECESSARY stuff), and goes from there, ignoring everything that came after the 1999 relaunch, which really brought about unnecessary changes and tweeks to the point the mythology no longer resembles anything familiar.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

who do I want back?

Uncle Ben? No, his death and the lesson it taught Peter is the reason spiderman exists.

Gwen? She was supposed to be the end game live interest but lost all that because she was too boring to compete with MJ. She also had an affair with Norman Osborn. So Eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! At least she died for it. I want her to stay dead no matter how much people love Emma Stone.

Ben Reilly? Well I liked him when he was a darker, little emo I guess, version of Peter before embracing the "friendly neighborhood" of it all a little too much. He let me down, so no.

Kaine? If they can keep him from becoming more spiderman than spiderman, Other powers and all then maybe but I have no faith.

Otto? Superior spiderman?! GTFO!

Mattie, Sable or Webb? Yawn

I vote for the daughter that died at birth during all the clone craziness.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By kcomicfan

@zarius: Canon means everything. We as the reader can't decide what is canon. An example of this is Disney making the old Star Wars Expanded Universe non-canon. It sucks for the fans, but you can't ignore that decision and you can't dissmiss it. Disney owns all the rights to the franchise, and it is there right as the owner of the franchise to decied what is canon. Another example of this would be rejecting a death in Game of Thrones because George RR Martins Killed your favorite character, You can not decide who does not die because that is not your story to tell. Ignoring a decision in a comic book is the same as a child putting their fingers in their ears and singing "LA LA LA LA LA", it is a rejection of reality.

And the "true course of events" for the character of Spider-Man is whatever Marvel wants it to be.

@dernman: The fact that you can only back yourself up with insults makes his argument way better than yours.

@blackspidey2099: For future reference I am a guy.

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: For future reference, it's spelled "nonsense", not "nonesense". Maybe you should learn to spell, but of course, that would require reading a dictionary, which at this point, I'm not sure that you can do.

@kcomicfan Yeah, I thought so, but didn't want to risk potentially offending you. I'll try to keep that in mind! :)

@Zarius I don't see how MC2 is more natural than 616 in any way (other than, of course, the deal with Mephisto). If anything, I found it quite sketchy that Green Goblin was able to injure Peter so grievously, considering that Peter is superior in every way. Also, with his super heroics out of the way, I found it even more unrealistic that Peter still failed to properly utilize his intelligence. Of course, the spotlight on married Peter and MJ was nice, but I found it far from a natural evolution of the character.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.