Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Best Spidey to read?

vicske77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By vicske77

Hey guys after watching ASM again on Blu-Ray and reading about all the hype about The Amazing Spiderman ending, I decided I want to get more into Spiderman. He really is a cool character and I would like to catch up with him. Venom and Carnage also are pretty awesome characters. So the point of this thread is to ask you Spidey fans what are some good trades to pick up. What are some good Spiderman stories that I can read?

VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By VeganDiet

Coming Home- JMS's First arc on Spidey is maybe my favorite ever.

Marvel Knights Spider-man 1-12. A great story, full of some of the best action I've ever seen.

If you want to read about Flash Thompson Venom, you could pick up some trades of the newest series by Rick Remender. I think all the issues he's written for Venom have been collected by now.

If you'd prefer to read Eddie Brock as Venom then this would be good. http://www.amazon.com/Spider-Man-Vengeance-Venom-David-Michelinie/dp/0785157603/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1353542620&sr=8-14&keywords=Venom

It isn't specific about what issues are contained in it, but it's The Venom stories that were written by David Michelinie, with three awesome artists involved so I think that's a safe bet.

If you're looking to get caught up with what's happening then this is a good place to start. 15 issues for 25 bucks is pretty nice. http://www.amazon.com/Spider-Man-Big-Time-Ultimate-Collection/dp/0785162178/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1353542910&sr=1-5&keywords=spiderman

For Carnage, A crossover story involving him just wrapped up in Venom and Scarlet Spider. According to Amazon it'll be collected in January so you could get it then or try to hunt down the issues.

Also for Carnage Zeb Wells and Clayton Grain pretty recently put out some pretty nice stories about Carnage that you could check out. http://www.amazon.com/Carnage-U-S-Zeb-Wells/dp/0785160736/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1353543103&sr=1-1&keywords=carnage

http://www.amazon.com/Carnage-Family-Feud-Zeb-Wells/dp/0785151125/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1353543103&sr=1-2&keywords=carnage

And if you're just looking for dumb fun from back in the 90s you could buy Maximum Carnage.

Anyway those are some of my recommendations.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By the_tree

If you'd like to be pretty up to date with the current status of Spidey, I'd recommend starting with Big Time.

vicske77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By vicske77

Thanks I definitely appreciate those recommendations. I will take a look at them.

VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By VeganDiet
    PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By PunyParker
    gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By gotwillpower

@The_Tree said:

If you'd like to be pretty up to date with the current status of Spidey, I'd recommend starting with Big Time.

I just started with this and it's great!

vicske77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By vicske77

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the responses.

MACarpenter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MACarpenter
    mewmdude77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By mewmdude77

I'd recommend Kraven's Last Hunt, Spider-Man Reign, Cosmic Spider-Man, and the regular Spidey comics starting at BND.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By laflux

Civil war, The Other, Black in Black, Grim Hunt, anything that Slott has done if your looking for more recent work.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SmashBrawler

@The_Tree said:

I'd follow this advice. This is where I jumped in into current Spider-Man.

FatFriar_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By FatFriar_16

@vicske77: Minimum Carnage is about to have its last issue (Omega). It has been a great series starring Venom, Carnage, and Scarlet Spider along with some new characters like the Redeemer and Radu. You could wait and pick up the TPB.

Otherwise Big Time is the perfect to place to get caught up with the current Spidey. But, if you really want to get into the real Spidey (pre-Brand New Day). It's tougher to recommend something. Perhaps getting the recently reprinted Amazing Fantasy 15 would be the best to begin with (worth having even if you already know the story). The Back in Black series was great along until they changed the Spider-Universe with Brand New Day. But, to understand this new (Mary Jane-less) Spidey you might want to read both arcs.

If you really liked the Lizard the SHED series is SWEET and involves the new Spidey (post-BND) if you prefer to read about him.

vicske77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By vicske77

Thanks i'll keep those in mind as well.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By tupiaz

Spider-Man Torment I personally think is a good story. Very intense and dark both the story and how it is told is very good some of Todd McFarlane’s best. I’m not a huge fan but this story he nailed pretty good. The enemy is Lizard but is more like a monster/creature/animal than human.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By PunyParker

Spider-Man: Blue is a comic booklimited series written by Jeph Loeb and illustrated by Tim Sale. It ran for a total of six issues and has been reprinted in trade paperback form.

I just finished reading Spiderman Blue......it was fantastic....one of the best limited series out...DEFFENETALLY recomend it!!...

It is Valentine's Day, and Spider-Man describes himself as feeling "blue". Gwen Stacy, one of Parker's true loves, died a while ago, but he still feels blue for her to this day. So, Spider-Man recounts into a tape recorder how Gwen and he fell in love.

The series then recounts the events from The Amazing Spider-Man vol. 1 #43-48 and #63, though it switches time order and implies that Kraven the Hunter, who appeared in #47, is behind all of the villains who attack Spider-Man. It retells Peter standing between Gwen and Mary Jane Watson, berated by his friend Harry Osborn.

In the end, it is Valentine's Day, and Gwen asks Peter to be her valentine. Peter states how her death has scarred him. Her one-time rival Mary Jane taught Peter to love again, but he reveals how much he misses Gwen. Suddenly, he notices his wife Mary Jane listening. Instead of being angry, Mary Jane feels deep sympathy for her husband and tells Peter to say hello to Gwen for her and to tell her how much she misses her, too. On this note, the story ends.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.