Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17243 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Batman or Spider-Man - Who's the better hero?

• 107 results
    Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

Edited By Anjales_II

Batman or Spider-Man - Who's the better hero?

I don't mean who's the better character or who do you like more, what I mean is who's more heroic? Who has proven his worth as a hero to his city? Who's more necessary to the salvation of his city (let's forget about the Avengers, the FF and JL for a minute)?

Master_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Spiderman, let's face it a fifteen year old who lost his uncle and cares for his ill fated aunt still able to defeat evil beats batman a billion are who's able to defeat evil because he has the financial means

PaperDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Spider-Man, no question about it.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Spidey.

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
    linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Batman....

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spidey

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
    Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Spiderman.

He doesn't let innocent people die due to his one "moral code".

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman has nothing on Spidey. Spidey is just as smart just as selfless and he keeps being spidey even when he doesnt have the time , money or physical well being to do it. Bruce may have all the same qualities but there's a reason people love Spiderman in NY and in the superhero community. And he inspires people to do great things instead of putting the fear of god in them

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spiderman.

He doesn't let innocent people die due to his one "moral code".

Green Goblin, Carnage, Lizard, and a few dozen other villains would disagree with innocents not dying because Spiderman did not kill them.

@kgb725 said:

Batman has nothing on Spidey. Spidey is just as smart just as selfless and he keeps being spidey even when he doesnt have the time , money or physical well being to do it. Bruce may have all the same qualities but there's a reason people love Spiderman in NY and in the superhero community. And he inspires people to do great things instead of putting the fear of god in them

Bruce Wayne has continued being batman when he was thrown through time with no memory of who he was.

Batman fights on through immense pain in every other story arc, and he does not have a healing factor to help him through it. You may as well say that Wolverine can fight through injuries that would kill Spiderman or Batman a dozen times, so he must be a better hero.

The superheroes of Batman Inc. and the Teen Titans and the Pre 52 Outsiders are clear counters to the lack of inspiration. Since when did Batman terrorize the innocent? This post is both downplaying Batman's talents and defining characteristics and insulting people who bother to read the comics themselves.

Spiderman is the better hero because he believes that most people are good. Batman see the world as being mostly evil with the good in need of protection and inspiration. Batman does inspire a small section of people in Gotham, but the rest see him as being too other to actually love. Even most fans of the best written versions of Batman feel little direct warmth with Batman or Bruce Wayne. Spiderman is more fun because he actually cares about the people he beats up. Batman just makes sure that they live to go to trial.

one wants to be liked and loved, the other just wants to get results and respect.

I honestly feel that Batman is the better hero in terms of results given conditions. Spiderman would have gone insane trying to work with Gotham's broken justice system and systemic institutional corruption.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

WHat the hell with these threads?!.....this is a SPIDER-MAN forum.....move this to the Gen.Discussion one......

VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@senglord said:

I honestly feel that Batman is the better hero in terms of results given conditions. Spiderman would have gone insane trying to work with Gotham's broken justice system and systemic institutional corruption.

I severely doubt this.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been reading Spider-Man far longer but I can't really pick who the better hero is.

They're both unique in their own way, but right now, IMO, I could definitely pick the better book.

I'm enjoying "Batman" & "Detective Comics" immensely better than "ASM". The Batman books are light years ahead in terms of good quality mature storytelling and artwork.

linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vegandiet: Spiderman does not need to deal with a system that will flat out release hardened killers onto the street to make a point. That is a regular occurrence in Gotham.

The police in Marvel New York do not conceal evidence from police on cop killings.

Spiderman does not need to deal with mass break outs of prisons in every other story arc, which would make an average stay for a prisoner about two weeks comic book time.

Spider-man's biggest enemies are the criminals that try to kill him and innocent people in his city. Batman's biggest enemies are people who manipulate the system to keep violent mass murderers on the street as a distraction for organized crime to continue doing business.

Avatar image for xxedward_kenwayxx
    XxEdward_KenwayXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@master_thief: a fifteen year old with superpowers. With one of the most over powered ones too(spider sense).

Avatar image for themetalgearzero
    TheMetalGearZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Man... Batman's too grim to become a hero in my book.

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themetalgearzero: Being a hero is about what you do, not how you look. Both sacrifice their own well being to help others. Both are so dedicated to their cause that they are pretty much insane. Both could do so much more if they were a little more selfish and practical.

Avatar image for themetalgearzero
    TheMetalGearZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@senglord said:

@themetalgearzero: Being a hero is about what you do, not how you look. Both sacrifice their own well being to help others. Both are so dedicated to their cause that they are pretty much insane. Both could do so much more if they were a little more selfish and practical.

Yes, but I'm not really sure Bats is the kind of hero who would save a kid from being bullied in the streets or something like that. Spider-Man IS that sort of hero. Sorry if I'm wrong with this, because I've read A TON of Spidey comics and not much of Bats, so I'm not really knowledgeable on Batman.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Spider-Man

VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@senglord said:

@vegandiet: Spiderman does not need to deal with a system that will flat out release hardened killers onto the street to make a point. That is a regular occurrence in Gotham.

The police in Marvel New York do not conceal evidence from police on cop killings.

Spiderman does not need to deal with mass break outs of prisons in every other story arc, which would make an average stay for a prisoner about two weeks comic book time.

Spider-man's biggest enemies are the criminals that try to kill him and innocent people in his city. Batman's biggest enemies are people who manipulate the system to keep violent mass murderers on the street as a distraction for organized crime to continue doing business.

It's true he doesn't have to deal with such a thing on a regular basis, but I highly doubt such a thing would really be so much worse for him to deal with than what he already does. And he does frequently deal with hardened killers being released back onto the streets. He's dealt with prison breakouts fairly often. He's dealt with a corrupt system that takes the side of organized crime. I assume you've heard of Kingpin, The Maggia, Hammerhead, and Mister Negative. All people who are capable of manipulating the system, while being formidable super villains at the same time.

So Spider-man deals with pretty much exactly what you've said, in addition to the vastly super powered threats, very often.

linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JetiiMitra: I just have to read the comments below in the link to know how awesome Batman is.

Batman is everywhere, and his comics sell

VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@senglord said:

It's true he doesn't have to deal with such a thing on a regular basis, but I highly doubt such a thing would really be so much worse for him to deal with than what he already does. And he does frequently deal with hardened killers being released back onto the streets. He's dealt with prison breakouts fairly often. He's dealt with a corrupt system that takes the side of organized crime. I assume you've heard of Kingpin, The Maggia, Hammerhead, and Mister Negative. All people who are capable of manipulating the system, while being formidable super villains at the same time.

So Spider-man deals with pretty much exactly what you've said, in addition to the vastly super powered threats, very often.

gdkeen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-man

Avatar image for amazingspiderman15
    AmazingSpiderman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

spider - man

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JetiiMitra: I just have to read the comments below in the link to know how awesome Batman is.

Batman is everywhere, and his comics sell

So does Micheal Bay.

So i must believe he is awesome and the best movie director right now.

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By senglord

@vegandiet: Batman deals with superhuman threats on a regular basis as well, though they are not on the same scale of lethality as Spider-man's powered rogues. He has also dealt with international criminal organizations like the Black Hand, league of assassins, league of shadows, supernatural threats, global gangs and the like. Pre 52 2000s was more global than any time since the Raa's arcs of the 1970s.

Not to say that Batman's enemies have not devised ways to kill hundreds of thousands of people, but their methods require large amounts of resources and time. This makes it more easily thwarted by a very skilled detective. Spider-man's enemies threaten the city as a whole through their powers like Electro, or through their plans like GG and Hydra. Planners goals are mostly the same for both characters.

P.S. It is a bit misleading to compare the disfunction of marvel NYC and DC Gotham

@themetalgearzero: Batman as Batman and as Bruce Wayne has stepped up to defend people that are being attacked. That was part of the character's appeal. That his actions have a basis in civic duty.

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Before I answer this question I want to point out that as a DC/Batman fan my answer is completely unbiased.

Spider-Man is a far better hero by my definition of the word. Peter does what he does because it's the right thing to do, and because he believes that with his powers he has an obligation to use them for the good of the people.

Batman does what he does mostly because he can't get over his parents' death and is now taking revenge on every criminal in the city. Unlike Spider-Man he doesn't do it for the good of the city, he does it because of his own personal vendetta. While that does make for a fascinating read it's not particularly heroic.

I'm not saying that Batman's not heroic at all, he is, but he doesn't really compare to Spider-Man in the heroism department if you ask me.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@minisaladfresh said:

Before I answer this question I want to point out that as a DC/Batman fan my answer is completely unbiased.

Spider-Man is a far better hero by my definition of the word. Peter does what he does because it's the right thing to do, and because he believes that with his powers he has an obligation to use them for the good of the people.

Batman does what he does mostly because he can't get over his parents' death and is now taking revenge on every criminal in the city. Unlike Spider-Man he doesn't do it for the good of the city, he does it because of his own personal vendetta. While that does make for a fascinating read it's not particularly heroic.

I'm not saying that Batman's not heroic at all, he is, but he doesn't really compare to Spider-Man in the heroism department if you ask me.

No Caption Provided

And that is why i dont like current Batman writing, it fails to make Batman heroic anymore.

They want so hard to make Batman the ultra harcore badadd that is the best at everything, he isnt that heroic anymore.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

Bats and Spidey are equals but they both excel in certain areas that others dont.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spiderman. No contest.

Batman is vengeance.

Spiderman is justice.

Beata

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jimishim12

Batman is a better protector. Spidey is a better role model

angelalfonso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By angelalfonso

@spidey_jackson: spidey is pain, regret and responsibility

and yes he is a better hero

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@angelalfonso: Yeah. Justice just sounded cooler to say. Lawl.

Beata

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Interestingly, they did the same poll on the Batman Forum and Spiderman still won!

Seems even some Batman fans concede Spidey is the better hero.

They are both brilliant characters and yes, the Batman comics are currently another league to the Spiderman ones and I think most "top 10" graphic novel polls would have more Batman books than spiderman ones in them.

devosles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By devosles

What defines a hero? Do I think that Spiderman is generally more liked in his community? Duh.

I think that Batman is the better hero overall since he's more valuable to the Justice League then most of it's members, while Spiderman was lucky enough to be part of the Avengers B team. Batman being significantly smarter than Spiderman in every category just adds to how effective he is in protecting DC Universe than Spiderman for Marvel.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devosles said:

What defines a hero? Do I think that Spiderman is generally more liked in his community? Duh.

I think that Batman is the better hero overall since he's more valuable to the Justice League then most of it's members, while Spiderman was lucky enough to be part of the Avengers B team. Batman being significantly smarter than Spiderman in every category just adds to how effective he is in protecting DC Universe than Spiderman for Marvel.

Did i hear PIS!!!!

Fanboy force dont make you a better heroe, it does the contrary.

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
    NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Its really just anybody's opinion, there's no way to prove or justify it.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IMO even if I don'tlike Batman that much, him and Spidey areequals in altruistic service to the innocent and masses against evil and corruption. Batman seems more alpha because he's wealthy and yet he leads and commands future investments in young children to carry on his legacy and work. I mean Dick is already gonna be the next best thing not only for gotham but the entire DC pantheon of heroes as the leader. Spider-Man in comparison only has his clones, Anya, and probably Alpha and who knows how that guy will end up. Spider-Man also has to defer to other heroes instead of being a leader amongst men and is constantly in over his head instead of control like Batman, but Spidey does have more investments in saving individuals and changing there lifes personally like Reptil, Franklin Richards, Deadpool(sorta) and much more.

oskese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devosles said:

Did i hear PIS!!!!

It isn't PIS, Batman is a valuable member of the Justice League mainly because of his intellect, not because he can fist fight Superman level characters.

Not too smart are you? Then again you're named after one of the worst characters in comics so I'm hardly surprised

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oskese said:

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

@devosles said:

Did i hear PIS!!!!

It isn't PIS, Batman is a valuable member of the Justice League mainly because of his intellect, not because he can fist fight Superman level characters.

Not too smart are you? Then again you're named after one of the worst characters in comics so I'm hardly surprised

Hahahaha obvious troll its obvious.

Homifred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Homifred

Arguments for Spider-man:

Spider-man attempts to save everyone, even the criminals unless one's existence is catastrophic to his own life (Morlun).

Batman, however, is more than willing to kill a crook as he has proven to do several times (junkyards anyone?) though, suspiciously, the Joker still lives (joking).

Not only does Spider-man use his intellect to defeat criminals but he also uses his genius to benefit mankind.

Though Batman also betters the living of mankind through Wade Industries, miraculous inventions such as his teleporter are withheld from the populace.

Spider-man never gives up.

Batman has a history of mental breakdowns (Pre-52).

Spider-man's powers make him more efficient to an extent.

Batman's mortality has made him more vulnerable to supervillains.

Anzid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman, definitely. The only reason he exists is for the good of Gotham. He doesn't care if Gotham City doesn't want him but he thinks that it needs him.

Kanen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spiderman. The people of Gotham are greatful to have batman around because their city was always a mess. The only people who hate batman are crooks and crooked cops. With spiderman you have a city where most cops hate him or at least always raise a gun at him. Not mention the daily bugle constantly publishing lies about him and even when his family or friends hate him because of something spiderman was responsible for he still continues to be spiderman and is always their to save them

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a tough one These guys are both my FAVORITES from the big 2.... they both will do what they have to save the city. both would risk their own lives to save someone from dieing. Bats sometimes can take things personal when it comes to his baddies, spidey doesn't like baddies but try to always be a funny with them prior to whipping their asses...

It's definitely a toss up but i think their about even in my book.

HollowMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spidey no doubt

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
    Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Eh..I always think of Batman as more of an "anti-hero"

Dalwih

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I gotta go with Spider-Man. They both beat the baddies, stop bank robberies, have dealt with Organized crime on multiple occasions, psychopaths, blah blah blah. But Spider-Man is more of a friend and inspiration to the people, so much to the point that he's seen as the heart of New York. Spider-Man is the kind of hero who would save a kid from bullies, help an arguing married couple come to terms, he's there for the people and spreads a kind of warmth Batman doesn't.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.