Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Any major concerns going into the All-New A-D ASM #1?

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By animehunter

With All-New All-Different Amazing Spider-Man #1 just one month away "October 7th", things have begun to swirl in my head as to what I should expect, but really what my concerns are.

I could say my concerns would be about Peter running an international business and how he managed it in 8 months, or who do they mean when they say "female trouble", or it could be included of Silk and how she ended up working for Felicia, or Spider-Woman and her pregnancy.

But my biggest concern bows down to MARY JANE and what happens with her.

With Renew Your Vows coming to an end next week, it has suddenly donned on me that, what if Slott married MJ off to the Fireman, the one the replaced Peter the one who in my opinion is nothing but a place holder. I mean unless they broke up they've been seeing each other a good while and whose to say what happened within those eight months, My other concern would be what if she had a child with him.

If that is really what happens, then all that will do is not only diminish the book (RYV), but turn a book that fell in love with into nothing but a reminder of what could have been, it will be like Marvel saying, here have a last taste of this, because you'll never taste it again. After which I would most likely want nothing to do with Amazing Spider-Man from then on or any Spider title for that matter, because they would have essentially removed that one thing that would have elevated the book.

Issue Synopsis

Spider-Man has gone global! Parker Industries is more successful than ever, with offices in New York, Shanghai, London and San Francisco and Peter Parker is racking up the frequent flyer miles with his “bodyguard” Spider-Man in tow, of course. But success breeds enemies and a reinvigorated Zodiac have also widened their scope to threaten the whole world. Join Dan Slott and Giuseppe Camuncoli as they take Spider-Man to the next level! This huge first issue also includes stories featuring Silk, Spidey 2099, Spider-Woman and much more!

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Zarius

I don't see MJ being married to the idiot placeholder, with a child, as that much of a deal-breaker for several reasons.

1. If the deal is ever undone by a future creative regime, her new marriage will instantaneously be annulled, and there would be some drama in that she will then have to choose between properly divorcing Peter to care for her new family, or to stay with Peter and have the children she was fated to have with him. This makes for a compelling and mature storyline where you don't quite know which way things will go.

2. If she does'nt remember the deal, that is still no guarantee she will stay with the placeholder, It's possible a future writer will turn the fireman into an abusive husband (mirroring MJ's own sad domestic life as a child), not to mention divorces in Marvel are very frequent with side-characters. I mean, Bruce Banner wasn't exactly Betty Ross' first husband was he? She married Talbot, then fell out with him. Harry and Liz were an item back in my day, but they divorced after OMD rewrote reality. Flash was married to Sha-Shan and that went belly up. Ned and Betty were'nt exactly a stable couple either (Betty had a wandering eye for Peter and Flash during her marriage woes), I don't think it would have lasted even if Ned had lived.

Look at Johnny Storm and Crystal, the star-crossed pairing of the FF. Johnny married a Skrull, Crystal married Quicksilver AND had a child with him, and they divorced, then she entered an arranged marriage with someone else. In those instances they ended up single again (though admittedly Marvel haven't paired them together in years, indeed Johnny is going to date her sister in the Inhumans books)

Hell, I'm pretty sure when the writers decide Peter should spend time fretting over Aunt May again, they'll have her divorce Jay or kill him off.

3. If the child is an adopted Annie (carrying over from RYV), then that too would add tension to MJ and the placeholder's relationship, since her powers will have kicked in and he would be convinced MJ had a child with Spider-Man and that MJ still holds a candle for him.

4. I don't buy that RYV is neccersarily the "last taste", as the marriage is always going to be around, it'll just be neatly deposited back into niche areas like the newspaper strip until the time comes to milk it for all it's worth again.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By animehunter

@zarius: While those are definitely good reasons why it might not be a deal breaker, that fact that it happens (if it does) would still be a major problem to me, and while you might be correct that a new writing team could do away with it, there is no guarantee that they will. So until I see absolutely that it doesn't happen or if it does gets reversed, to me that would still be a deal breaker.

And I'm not saying that if Peter can't be with MJ then no one should be with her, just not with that guy, someone who is basically a clone of Peter just without the powers hell, he looks like Peter and has a name similar to Peter's and is a fireman. Did they really think we would accept, this "Place holder".

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Zarius

@animehunter said:

@zarius: While those are definitely good reasons why it might not be a deal breaker, that fact that it happens (if it does) would still be a major problem to me, and while you might be correct that a new writing team could do away with it, there is no guarantee that they will. So until I see absolutely that it doesn't happen or if it does gets reversed, to me that would still be a deal breaker.

And I'm not saying that if Peter can't be with MJ then no one should be with her, just not with that guy, someone who is basically a clone of Peter just without the powers hell, he looks like Peter and has a name similar to Peter's and is a fireman. Did they really think we would accept, this "Place holder".

No, we would'nt, but that's how Slott operates. He does the thing that ticks us off in order to generate buzz from his stories. He's trying to show us in his own twisted way how MJ won't let go of Peter and uses simple-minded rebounds to keep herself occupied. 616 Peter is too much of a self-loathing child to stop her from doing damage to herself and others. Dan likes vilifying the pair of them like that.

Compare that to the the 90s animated series after Peter broke up with MJ in an attempt to save her from Morbius. MJ latched on to Harry and almost married him. Peter saw MJ was just using poor Harry as a placeholder and confronted her on it, asking if she really loved him, and it was a contributing factor to MJ breaking off her engagement to him and ultimately choosing to get back with Peter again.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
    blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, my main concerns are what's going to happen with MJ and that he doesn't crash and burn humiliatingly and gets to keep his success. If Annie is the carry over from RYV, then my first concern will be mostly assuaged.

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm concerned over the whole situation.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope so. I hope Mary Jane is married to the fire fighter. And I hope that RYV was the last time we will see the marriage in the mainstream continuity for a very long time.

My main concern With All-New All-Different Amazing Spider-Man #1 is Peter being an international businessman. This concept could be done really well; like when peter joined Horizon labs or it could be done poorly. And right now it could go either way.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
    blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By blackspidey2099

@kcomicfan: Yes, I would prefer if Peter was an internationally acclaimed research scientist for the Avengers, and Miguel was in charge of Parker Industries. It would still allow Peter to build crazy cool stuff, since Miguel would provide all the money Peter would need (Spider-Man alter ego team ups FTW) and also let him concentrate on the science part of things, and not the business part which is kinda OOC. I do think Spidey should go global though. Miguel as CEO of PI would epic considering he was going to be CEO of Alchemax back in 2099. While not as intelligent as Peter, he is certainly more business savvy.

However, I disagree on your other point. I think that this is a great opportunity to finally bring the marriage back since Marvel seems willing to finally let Peter evolve from being that down-on-his-luck 'everyman' and grow up. The marriage was a great thing for Peter and it should definitely be brought back.

Avatar image for amazingspiderman15
    AmazingSpiderman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i fear miles will be the most important spider-character.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Zarius

@kcomicfan said:

I hope so. I hope Mary Jane is married to the fire fighter. And I hope that RYV was the last time we will see the marriage in the mainstream continuity for a very long time.

My main concern With All-New All-Different Amazing Spider-Man #1 is Peter being an international businessman. This concept could be done really well; like when peter joined Horizon labs or it could be done poorly. And right now it could go either way.

1. I think MJ being married to the placeholder is anorther overall bad move for the character. As I said, I've read enough of these side-character marriages in comics to know it won't last beyond a few years or less, and sends a bad message to her fanbase since she really is just using the guy as a stand-in for what she really wants.

The marriage may not be back in the mainstream for a while after RYV, but if Annie carries over then it's legacy will hang over the books for many years to come, Annie may ultimately be used as a matchmaker, bringing Peter and MJ back into each other's lives and thus complicate things for the pair of them even if they're both in different places. Something could also still be done in 2017 to either resolve it or complicate it further (30th anniversary of the marriage/10th anniversary of OMD)

At the moment, I'm content with the marriage being where it is in the dailes since at least there it isn't tampered with and people can easily read it online and get their "fix" until...this is...well..fixed.

2. Yes, against my better judgement, the concept of Peter in the big leagues is ripe with potential, I just don't have any confidence that it will have much longevity, at the very least beyond Slott's tenure on the book, I still think he intends to write this with the monkey's paw...showing us why Peter can't be too big for his breeches and that he will be humbled. Slott's said Peter will still "act like Peter" through this run...but given my dissatisfaction with how Peter acts like Peter these last few years, I don't think this will have much appeal to me. People want Peter to act less infantile given his stature and I saw nothing that elevated him beyond that over the last year or so.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcomicfan: Yes, I would prefer if Peter was an internationally acclaimed research scientist for the Avengers, and Miguel was in charge of Parker Industries. It would still allow Peter to build crazy cool stuff, since Miguel would provide all the money Peter would need (Spider-Man alter ego team ups FTW) and also let him concentrate on the science part of things, and not the business part which is kinda OOC. I do think Spidey should go global though. Miguel as CEO of PI would epic considering he was going to be CEO of Alchemax back in 2099. While not as intelligent as Peter, he is certainly more business savvy.

However, I disagree on your other point. I think that this is a great opportunity to finally bring the marriage back since Marvel seems willing to finally let Peter evolve from being that down-on-his-luck 'everyman' and grow up. The marriage was a great thing for Peter and it should definitely be brought back.

I agree that Peter being a business man would be OOC. Also Miguel would be a good CEO because it could put him at odds with the recently formed Alcemax.

I have never liked the marriage so IMO the marriage is were it belongs in the past and not in the mainstream continuity. Peter can grow up and evolve without the marriage.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kcomicfan

@zarius said:
    @kcomicfan said:

1. I think MJ being married to the placeholder is anorther overall bad move for the character. As I said, I've read enough of these side-character marriages in comics to know it won't last beyond a few years or less, and sends a bad message to her fanbase since she really is just using the guy as a stand-in for what she really wants.

The marriage may not be back in the mainstream for a while after RYV, but if Annie carries over then it's legacy will hang over the books for many years to come, Annie may ultimately be used as a matchmaker, bringing Peter and MJ back into each other's lives and thus complicate things for the pair of them even if they're both in different places. Something could also still be done in 2017 to either resolve it or complicate it further (30th anniversary of the marriage/10th anniversary of OMD)

At the moment, I'm content with the marriage being where it is in the dailes since at least there it isn't tampered with and people can easily read it online and get their "fix" until...this is...well..fixed.

2. Yes, against my better judgement, the concept of Peter in the big leagues is ripe with potential, I just don't have any confidence that it will have much longevity, at the very least beyond Slott's tenure on the book, I still think he intends to write this with the monkey's paw...showing us why Peter can't be too big for his breeches and that he will be humbled. Slott's said Peter will still "act like Peter" through this run...but given my dissatisfaction with how Peter acts like Peter these last few years, I don't think this will have much appeal to me. People want Peter to act less infantile given his stature and I saw nothing that elevated him beyond that over the last year or so.

Maybe something happened in the 8 months between secret wars and the ANAD Marvel that will turn the fire-fighter from a place holder, to MJ's true love. The thing is these story's happen in a comic book, and the love the characters feel is not real. So the fire fighter could go from a stand in, to the guy she really wants in a single story arc.

We don't know if Annie will cross over to the main universe after secret wars, and the idea that something will happen to celebrate the anniversary of the marriage is just speculation. I hope she does not cross over to the main universe because I dislike the character and I dislike the idea of her working as a matchmaker.

For the last two years he has acted immature and useless. but for the 6+ years leading up to the reboot, he acted like a resourceful,brave,hero.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My main concern is that Dan Slott is still writing Spider-Man.

Avatar image for master_of_suprise
    MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

@magnetic_eye said:

That's definitely a good concern considering the stuff that we've already seen happen.

@animehunter: I am kind of worried for MJ too. At this point I put nothing past Marvel even things that would seem to be deal breakers. As much as I would like for the marriage to come back since Marvel's attempts to replace Mary Jane are annoying and ham-fisted I'm not sure they plan on stopping. It does suck but there's not much we can do at this point.

Catty_Spider1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Catty_Spider1

@master_of_suprise said:
    @magnetic_eye said:

That's definitely a good concern considering the stuff that we've already seen happen.

@animehunter: I am kind of worried for MJ too. At this point I put nothing past Marvel even things that would seem to be deal breakers. As much as I would like for the marriage to come back since Marvel's attempts to replace Mary Jane are annoying and ham-fisted I'm not sure they plan on stopping. It does suck but there's not much we can do at this point.

Look at this way, at least as an MJ fan that while it's as annoying and ham-fisted it's not a straight up character assassination, that I as a Black Cat fan am finding what he is doing with Felicia.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Zarius

@catty_spider1 said:
    @master_of_suprise said:
    @magnetic_eye said:

Look at this way, at least as an MJ fan that while it's as annoying and ham-fisted it's not a straight up character assassination, that I as a Black Cat fan am finding what he is doing with Felicia.

MJ was straight up character assassinated during Superior though. It might not have been as woefully embarrassing as making Felicia an outright villain, but it still turned MJ into a ditz and a coward. Two things she had risen above being in the last several decades.

VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm concerned that it's going to suck just as hard as the last volume did.

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazingspiderman15 said:

i fear miles will be the most important spider-character.

Nah...

Though I'm pretty sure Bendis will continue to go full fanboy on his ultimate (:p) creation.

Avatar image for master_of_suprise
    MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

@master_of_suprise said:
    @magnetic_eye said:

Dude don't even get me started on what they're doing with Black Cat cause I don't think I'll stop. I happen to like both MJ and Black Cat but I don't think the current regimen at Marvel likes either for some reason.

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

batcat91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

to be honest i haven't been really digging the recent spider-man arcs. The only ones that I actually really enjoyed in recent memory were Spider-Island, Superior Spider-man and Spider-Verse. I'll probably take a break from Spider-man after Renew Your Vows which I've also really enjoyed

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.