Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Am I picking or Will I pick up SSM again?

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Poll Am I picking or Will I pick up SSM again? (50 votes)

Yes 38%
    Yes: when & if Peter Returns 32%
    Yes: when Ock is exposed 16%
    Yes: when certain charaters appear 6%
    Yes: when a new writer takes over 12%
    Yes: when Slott is fired 16%
    No 12%
    No, Never ever ever 12%
     • 
    Howard_Go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I know a lot of people won't agree with me but superior is one heck of a ride and I'm loving itt.

VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By VeganDiet

I will be reading the upcoming arc with The Scorpion. After that, I'm done.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

All these tears. Mmmm.

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By DH69

Don't understand all the hate, usually im one of the people b****ing and moaning about changes but this is one of the few things i've come to enjoy. its different and so far alot better than i thought it was going to be.

Besides i'd bet every dollar i have that peter will be back in time for the next movie, cause thats how it works these days...

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I'm just going to keep stealing it.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

I was tempted to vote here and select "when Peter returns," but honestly, that'd be too soon. I view this book as a really nasty way of ruining everything I previously loved about who Peter Parker was (though to be honest OMD started it). Ruining his relationships, potentially wiping out his memories. It's difficult to imagine them "bringing him back" in a way which undoes all that damage -- I honestly think the damage (and him having to "overcome" or "pick up the pieces after" it) was the whole point. And I don't find that interesting in the least. So perhaps, when Peter is back, and he's back to being the Peter I once cared about, then I'd read. And at that point who knows? Would Slott still be there? Would it still be SSM?

I don't know. But I don't expect it to happen any time even remotely soon.

AkaBoAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna be honest here, I love this storyline! It's something new and fresh that most comics do not dare to do and for that. We all complain when stories are boring and stale, and when there is an actual change and something new that we are not used to, we panic and complain!!!

I'm gonna continue buying SSM with or without Peter!

mpierce2690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I miss Peter and all, but anyone who isn't reading and loving the Superior Spider-Man is just letting their fan-boy bias get in the way. This whole storyline is something new and shocking, and if you can get past missing Peter, it's great read. Definitely an exciting twist.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mpierce2690: You know, this discussion is tagged on the Spider-Man page. And in the description of Spider-Man, the first two words are "Peter Parker." Because that's Spider-Man.

You can appreciate the story all you want, but it's a little ridiculous to call people biased "fan-boys" for being upset that Spider-Man isn't in Spider-Man.

mpierce2690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akbogert: Peter was the first Spider-Man, but this isn't the first time someone else has stepped up to the plate his place. Spider-Man is bigger than just Peter. I didn't mean to sound harsh about the fan-boy thing, I'm a fan-boy too, but we shouldn't stop ourselves from enjoying a story just because we love Peter, just like I don't want to hold myself back from a good Superman story because I wish he was with Lois.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By akbogert

@mpierce2690: Heh. Though that's tangential, I understand that there haven't been too many good Superman stories since they broke him up from Lois (not that she's the reason, haha).

I think a more fitting comparison would be when they were talking about how Supergirl might die and Power Girl would replace her as Supergirl. Or, a more fitting comparison to what you said would be refusing to read Spider-Man after OMD (which, full disclosure, had I been reading comics back then I would absolutely have done, because that still angers me).

More to the point: for many people, myself included, Spider-Man isn't bigger than just Peter. Anyone else will seem like a temp, a rip-off, a cheap imitation. Of course beyond that, we stand a chance of going on a tangent. This reminds me of a blog I wrote here a couple months ago, "The Jarring Still Life of Comics." I fully support the idea of characters growing out of their roles and passing on the mantle. But if the universe won't play by real aging rules, and characters can just stay young forever to suit writers' needs, then I don't think I'll ever embrace a non-Parker Spidey.

And I certainly won't do it when the person who becomes the new Spider-Man is responsible for Parker's death.

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
    Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Haven't Dropped lol

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Ninjablade09

Yupp after Slott is fired then I might.

Avatar image for johnkmccubbin91
    johnkmccubbin91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 672

User Lists: 103

I'm already getting it and although it's been bad I'll continue as Peter will return before ASM2. I also don't think Slott should be fired just until Peter returns as he wrote Spidey brilliantly prior to Superior, but has been rubbish since.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Squalleon

i am so not interested in it that i don't even download the leaked scans!

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By PunyParker

Im not paying for it......but i'll be "taking" it...

I'm starting to believe Pete wont return.....for ASM2 will be a shitty prequel comic and that's it!

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By akbogert

I'm already getting it and although it's been bad I'll continue as Peter will return before ASM2. I also don't think Slott should be fired just until Peter returns as he wrote Spidey brilliantly prior to Superior, but has been rubbish since.

I think having someone with his attitude towards readers fired would be a good show of faith that Marvel had reevaluated the way they want to be seen. I'm not the sort to outright demand a person's job, but when you are doing something that hurts a lot of people and you actually change your background and icon to say "haters gonna hate," you don't deserve to be in a position with that kind of power. The irony of Slott's irresponsibility is palpable.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@akbogert said:

@mpierce2690: You know, this discussion is tagged on the Spider-Man page. And in the description of Spider-Man, the first two words are "Peter Parker." Because that's Spider-Man.

You can appreciate the story all you want, but it's a little ridiculous to call people biased "fan-boys" for being upset that Spider-Man isn't in Spider-Man.

Quick question.

Do you hate Miles Morales? Miguel O'Hara? Kaine Parker?

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By TDK_1997

I am going to get the book again only if Peter returns as Spider-Man.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@innervenom123: No.Though I will point out that those characters have separate pages -- the Peter Parker page IS the Spider-Man page.

johnkmccubbin91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akbogert said:

@johnkmccubbin91 said:

I think having someone with his attitude towards readers fired would be a good show of faith that Marvel had reevaluated the way they want to be seen. I'm not the sort to outright demand a person's job, but when you are doing something that hurts a lot of people and you actually change your background and icon to say "haters gonna hate," you don't deserve to be in a position with that kind of power. The irony of Slott's irresponsibility is palpable.

Too true. At this moment I'd like someone else to take over writing Superior, but would happily see Slott back once Spidey's once more Peter, as he did a good job then. I kind of feel sorry for Slott as he's most likely going to get remembered for ruining Spider-Man, instead of the great stories he did prior.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really want to stop reading until Peter comes back. I really want to stop reading until Ock gets his comeuppance. I really want to stop reading until Slott gets his act together.

But I can't. It's kind of like watching a car crash over and over, each time revealing new and interesting details in the explosion, that while morbid, is at the same time entertaining.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnkmccubbin91: His attitude makes it impossible for me to pity him. It'd be one thing if he did it willingly but in good faith -- if he were apologetic and just stuck to his guns because he believed that he was doing was right or at least justifiable. But the route he has taken just paints him as a willingly antagonistic tool. Whatever legacy he leaves behind, it will have been his own doing.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

i gave slott the middle finger after issue 3. he's as bad quesada. until all the crap he's is retconned i won't read anything with spider-man.

johnkmccubbin91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akbogert: Fair point, but it's still a shame, as it's never nice to see something that's been good for years ruined by a few months of horrific work.

MrArrogant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know a lot of people won't agree with me but superior is one heck of a ride and I'm loving itt.

seconded

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am getting a little weirded out by all this Slott vitriol.

xSpideyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be honest I think Peter Parker deserved a much more heroic death, I just find it hard to think about it, without it leaving a dissapointed expression on my face :/ I know others may disagree and have a completely different opinion but this is just how I see it.

soduh2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

"I don't like this story"

"Don't like don't read"

"Okay, I won't buy it then"

"NO!Don't be a fanboy, keep reading!"

Avatar image for fenixrevolution
    fenixREVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm all on the Superior love train.

Ock is the Spider-Man the people deserve!

It's been pretty fun. I want to see Ock run up against the symbiotes or just Carnage would be fun.

doffdoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By doffdoff

I said when Peter returned as Spider-Man but Slott has to go too.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this story made me truly hate ock...

it's what i needed, I never truly "hated" a super hero's villain before, so I am enjoying it.

Tacos_Kickass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Tacos_Kickass

I'm all on the Superior love train.

Ock is the Spider-Man the people deserve!

It's been pretty fun. I want to see Ock run up against the symbiotes or just Carnage would be fun.

The love train only has like 7 people on it... SSM is awesome though and the tears of all the fanboys is just an added plus.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.