Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

A tribute towards 'Spectacular Spider-Man" (and Spider-Man in general) by PunyParker

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

Edited By PunyParker

The Greatest Spider-Man piece, in any medium.

Absolutely spot on perfect.

First, i should ramble a little about what exactly does this chum (i called him chum) means to me.

I've been following this dude from my whole life, through comics, cartoons, films, video games, paper towels, action figures, notebooks, paper plates, birthday cakes, phone cases, posters, cups, backpacks, pencils, Halloween costumes, PC wallpapers, Facebook profile pictures.....you get the point by now.

In many ways Spider-Man was my "in" to the world of storytelling.

He made me feel like i have a brother, who's not real, but he always felt real.He always was there for me, he always listened to me, he always helped me, in ANY situation in my life, and still does.

He's my best friend, my loving role-model brother, and in general, the proof that fictional characters can help shape a person's life.

So yeah, Peter Parker is all that to me.

So you can understand, he's gone a long way from just being a drawing in a comicbook, to me.

A really long way.

So.

I feel that i have the right "qualification" to know weather he's depicted right or wrong, in any kind of medium.

For example, in my opinion the comics are not portraying him correctly, at the moment, in contrast with the films, where they seem to know what exactly makes Peter Parker the greatest fictional character of all time.

So(again) i have found that the greatest representation of this character has been in this wonderful and underappreciated cartoon series, "Spectacular Spider-Man"

These people got exactly what makes Peter so great.

He's funny, smart, he's relatable, but above all, he's a kid who always tries to do the best in his abilities, and is mainly, a good person.

The show is written phenomenally with multiple "grown up" jokes thrown in there, indicating that they were saying "We know this is for kids, but WE KNOW that you watch it too, 15 year old Harry (back then) and you'll get absolutely fascinated hearing Felicia Hardy saying that she hopes Spider-Man doesn't get his goop in her hair....." which was great, to say the least.

The writing is so f&cking crafty that it made even me, the greatest Norman Osborn fan i know, think that "Oh....maybe it's not Norman under the mask of the Green Goblin after all" and then, on the season finale Norman was all "HA, SUCK IT" and threw a pumpkin bomb at my face with the reveal.It was excellent.

I love this show so much.

Every character is absolutely what he/she should be.

May is May we all love.A role-model for mothers/parents all over the world.

Gwen's the awkward nerdy teen, who's basically a female Peter Parker. (btw credits to the writers, Gwen never had a specific character in the comics, so thank you for giving her one)

MJ is MJ.Girl next door, stunning, famous but still with a heart of gold, and on a really good place with her moralls and values.

Felicia is exactly how she should be, but it's a shame we only saw the "Black Cat" side of her, due to the cancellation of the show, but i'm ranting about that bellow.She has a crush on Spider-Man, but she is still a criminal.

Norman Osborn is the sh^t.Badass, powerful, organazing, crazy smart.Same goes towards the Green Goblin.And he's awesome, all around.

Cinematography, direction, action scenes, fights....i really don't need to talk about this, it's just the best i've seen in an animated show.

Period.

Spider-Man's powers and wit is extremely well oriented.

Basically everything on this show is absolutely spectacular! (oops!)

Now......to the difficult part.

This show got cancelled after 2 seasons, which is a DISGRACE.

It's absolutely awful.

I don't know what Marvel was thinking when they got the merch rights back from Sony, and started this ugly ugly Ultimate Spider-Man show, seriously.

Think about making a Season 3 of Spectacular Spider-Man, and making an Avengers cartoon set in the same Universe, now that you had the rights to the Spider-Man character again??...no?!!....cool, now i know you don't like money.

So many cliffhangers, Felicia getting upset with Peter, him finally being with Gwen, Normal who, obviously, lives.....it's a federal crime, for Christ's sake!

I was depressed for a long time, the show got officially cancelled 1 week after i finished Season 2, it was disastrous for me.

My one wish is that the show returns at some point.....

I know it's nearly impossible, but i really can't imagine how such a talented group of people is wasted NOT working on a character like that.It's really sad....

And a while ago i listened to a podcast where Greg Weisman (the man who ran the show, basically) said that if given the opportunity for more seasons, Peter would be in Highschool until Season 5, and then he's "move out" to straight-to-DVD Seasons where Pete's in college, and where they'd touch upon heavier stories like the Death of Gwen Stacy etc.

This just scratches the wound even more....

So, yeah, it's just perfect, in my eyes.

I haven't seen or read anything better, that defines Spider-Man like this thing did.

And it's really one of Hollywood's biggest failiures that it didn't get more seasons....

And to finish on a bright note, here's a collection of Spidey just dissing on his foes!

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

really nice tribute, man <:) lots of great memories

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Awesome. Loved Spec SPider-Man

~MIB

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

@Elbarto17

Great work there, you really put your heart into it.

Dedonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Honestly, I really enjoyed Spectacular until this point, where they revealed that Chameleon had been impersonating Norman Osborn and that Norman has been the Green Goblin the entire time. I felt that the show was doing something bold by not making Norman Osborn the Green Goblin (or at least at first). When they went back on this, even after they hinted that it wasn't Norman, it felt like they chickened out of it.

The writing is so f&cking crafty that it made even me, the greatest Norman Osborn fan i know, think that "Oh....maybe it's not Norman under the mask of the Green Goblin after all" and then, on the season finale Norman was all "HA, SUCK IT" and threw a pumpkin bomb at my face with the reveal.It was excellent.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I agree with you bro, Spectacular Spider-Man is amazing.

jrupert1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nicely done, I agree the show is awesome. I may have been an adult when it aired but it made me feel like a kid watching it.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dedonus said:

Honestly, I really enjoyed Spectacular until this point, where they revealed that Chameleon had been impersonating Norman Osborn and that Norman has been the Green Goblin the entire time. I felt that the show was doing something bold by not making Norman Osborn the Green Goblin (or at least at first). When they went back on this, even after they hinted that it wasn't Norman, it felt like they chickened out of it.

@Elbarto17 said:

Think about it, you create a plot twist, and get everyone surprised, while at the same time you don't ruin the source material by not making him the Goblin.
    It would have been more idiotic if the Goblin had had this masterful plan, and he indeed, at the end, weren't Norman.....who would have thought all this, if not Norman?!

To all of you, thank you for the kind words, it's really personal to me, this blog.

Avatar image for amazingspiderman15
    AmazingSpiderman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great post, I agree with all that you said :)

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

I just started re watching these on blu ray. This show was fantastic and I was heartbroken when they canceled it.

knightwriteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By knightwriteri

@Elbarto17: I have to agree with you there was never anything quite like the Spectacular Spider-Man I've watched that show so much I can quote much of it verbatim it can be quite deppressing to know this show's unworthy successor will have at least four times as many episodes.

I've been following this dude from my whole life, through comics, cartoons, films, video games, paper towels, action figures, notebooks, paper plates, birthday cakes, phone cases, posters, cups, backpacks, pencils, Halloween costumes, PC wallpapers, Facebook profile pictures.....you get the point by now.

In many ways Spider-Man was my "in" to the world of storytelling.

He made me feel like i have a brother, who's not real, but he always felt real.He always was there for me, he always listened to me, he always helped me, in ANY situation in my life, and still does.

He's my best friend, my loving role-model brother, and in general, the proof that fictional characters can help shape a person's life.

So yeah, Peter Parker is all that to me.

So you can understand, he's gone a long way from just being a drawing in a comicbook, to me.

A really long way.

Exactly I couldn't have summed up what Peter was to me growing up better myself and I started out with the Ultimate comics just like you.

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By The_Waffle

Those were some really nice words man.

Spectacular is still to this day, perfect. I could go on and on about it, I'll always miss that show. Keaton deserves to jump back into the role again.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skyleat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Elbarto17: Job well done.

You know I grew up on the original 1967 cartoon. It used to be on TV a lot in the 70's. So I'll always have a soft spot for that one. But when I sit down to watch some Spider-Man DVD's with my kids, they'll always pick Spectacular first over the others.

Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
    BappyRonChantin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By BappyRonChantin

Great series that reached its pick in season two and by the end of season one. A lot of people were put off by the art style. If it ever comes back I hope it comes back with better graphics.

RevivalMH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BappyRonChantin: At first I didn't care for the art style either but it definitely grew on me. My kids loved the show so maybe the art was a hit with the demographic they were looking for? Who knows...

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Elbarto17: Job well done.

You know I grew up on the original 1967 cartoon. It used to be on TV a lot in the 70's. So I'll always have a soft spot for that one. But when I sit down to watch some Spider-Man DVD's with my kids, they'll always pick Spectacular first over the others.

You raised some sharp little people, my friend ;)

In my opinion, it's the definitive Spider-Man.....and it prooves it, with Weisman saying that clearly the purpose was to get Peter to his marriage, eventually.
    Natural progression.
    Would have been excellent.

Great series that reached it's pick in season two and by the end of season one. A lot of people were put off by the art style. If it ever comes back I hope it comes back with better graphics.

With this kind of storytelling, i really didn't care for the art, which was fine, not excellent, but fine.

modsbehating

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

good article

would love to read more

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@modsbehating: Wow, thanks.

Will try to get it out of my system more often.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.