Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17241 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

A more Aggressive Portrayal of Peter Parker

clonesaga2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By clonesaga2099
    No Caption Provided

Tom Holland will be portraying Peter Parker as a high schooler. The problem is that Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield both had done the same thing. Andrew and Peter both portray high school Peter as a wall flower, even after he gets his powers. Tobey's Peter remains pretty much shy and soft spoken even after leaving high school.

However, if Tom Holland wants to spice up Spider-Man's portrayal, and distance himself from those two they should give Peter Parker a backbone. Basically a Peter Parker who is quiet and reserved but unafraid to confront to those who have insulted him.

This isn't new for Spider-Man, in fact a major character flaw in early Lee/Ditko Peter was his temper and need to prove himself. It makes sense from a narrative stand point. If you're a high school kid who has been picked on and all of a sudden you can perform feats beyond that of mortal men, you'd better believe you wouldn't want anyone to disrespect you. That's why he didn't make many friends in high school, he had a permanent chip on his shoulder and wasn't afraid to take a swing at people no matter who they were. Just ask the Fantastic 4 and the Avengers! Then character development set in and he started realizing that doing the same in college was going to leave him just as miserable as he was in high school. He started mellowing out and that helped him become friends with MJ, Gwen, Harry and even Flash Thompson! That doesn't mean he became a doormat, he just learned to take better control of his emotions.

It'd be a different way of looking at the character and can help freshen up the new MCU movies. Thoughts?

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hotblooded Spidey huh, It could work.

Friv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Friv

@clonesaga2099: I think this is a great idea, man. It does hearken back to the very early days of classic Spidey/Peter. You know, I think we already got a taste of the kind of person he was in Civil War. Tony specifically told Peter to keep his distance and web 'em up, I think he intended the kid to be more akin to crowd control than a weapon at his disposal.

But Peter didn't listen and confronted Bucky, Falcon and Cap with absolute confidence, albeit he was starstruck. I know it's not aggressive, but it's persistent and rings true for a high school student who wants to prove himself.

Plus, I'm tired of cinematic portrayals that make Peter look like a doormat, constantly being stepped on. Peter was a sassy little punk in those early days, just because he had to hide his powers from everyone doesn't mean he'd let someone beat on him. I badly want a mouthy Peter, a Peter who isn't afraid to speak his mind but is still wise to the consequences. Tom's portrayal in Civil War was the most accurate Spidey we've gotten to date, and I want to see more of him so badly. Roll on 2017!

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

No Caption Provided

This wasn't aggressive enough for you people? For shame.

clonesaga2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By clonesaga2099

@the_waffle:

Ha Ha Ha. Nice joke. Spider-Man 3 , certainly was a great comedy movie. I'm talking a little more Ditko age Spider-Man. Like this. In this day and age, there's no place for a weak willed super hero. There's a reason Tony is so popular, it's because he stands up for himself and keeps his head high. Audiences love an underdog who understands his own value, and especially when the underdog stands up for himself like a champ.

No Caption Provided

@jimishim12:

It's the only way to keep him relevant. By giving him back these traits the general public isn't familiar with, they will stir some interest in Spider-Man again. A Spider-Man who asserts himself is exactly what we need.

@friv:

Yeah, looking at it like that, it really does make some sort of sense that he's excited to meet his heroes. He did stand up to Cap, when they were fighting, so that was kinda cool. I really hope the starstruck thing doesn't stick around in his next appearance. He should have respect for the other heroes, but fawning over them shouldn't happen anymore. Since, he'll have time to get used to being around with super powered beings.

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MarvelMan92

it worked for Andrew so why couldn't the same be said for Holland?

DrMirakuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AGREED WITH OP 100 PERCENT

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8 dernman  Online

Sure just throw out the responsibility of power. Why not it's not like Slott already ditched every man Parker in favor of Stark 2.0?

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Andrew Garfield def. had a backbone. Plus, Tobey Maguire stood up to bullies once he had his powers. He learned his lesson though.

If anyone wants an aggressive Peter Parker they should just read Kaine Parker aka Scar Spider or Superior Spider aka SpOCK. (+)

clonesaga2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvelman92:I liked that he wasn't super soft spoken in costume, it was pretty cool to get a little more snark from Spidey.

AGREED WITH OP 100 PERCENT

Thanks, Civil War gave us a good set up. Now we can see what this Spider-Man is like when he's in his element. It shows us he's able to stand up to Avengers and I hope that carries a little bit into his Peter Parker.

Andrew Garfield def. had a backbone. Plus, Tobey Maguire stood up to bullies once he had his powers. He learned his lesson though.

If anyone wants an aggressive Peter Parker they should just read Kaine Parker aka Scar Spider or Superior Spider aka SpOCK. (+)

I actually read and really enjoyed Scarlet Spider, Kaine is one of my favorite Spiders. Now obviously Ditko Spider-Man, and the MCU Peter aren't and shouldn't be on Kaine's level of aggression, but I mean being capable of standing up for himself. A sarcastic remark or something back, after Tobey stood up to Flash he kinda just takes everything people dump on him. Not trying to bash Tobey the movies were nice.

@dernman said:

Sure just throw out the responsibility of power. Why not it's not like Slott already ditched every man Parker in favor of Stark 2.0?

But these scans are from the Ditko/Lee era. Super early Spider-Man. Besides this allows for character development. If we're going through High School again, maybe we can see Peter learn a thing or two during his time. Wouldn't it make for better story telling if the viewers get to watch his progression from bitter social outcast to Mr. Responsibility? After all it's not like early Peter Parker went around punching everybody who said anything to him. He could trade insults with Flash and his goons, and only did that when they provoked him. He was a nice guy to those who treated him with respect, but had none for those who wanted to antagonize him.

Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
    BappyRonChantin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BappyRonChantin

I like the idea of a more serious, confident yet quiet, non brooding Peter who tries his best to prove himself. With good execution it may work.

@marvelman92 said:

Andrew's Peter was tempered but not energetic. Pretty sure the op meant a good mix of both. Andrew's peter was more on the side of angst filled mopey teenager and it hardly worked.

clonesaga2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BappyRonChantin: Yeah, I also think it could help the audience relate to Peter some more. Lots of people know the frustrations of trying to better yourself when everyone around you is counting you out.

It'd also give a new dynamic and show how being Spider-Man is affecting Peter. Being Spider-Man developing his sense of humor, so he becomes funner to be around when he's Peter Parker. Also the restraint he constantly uses when he's Peter to not beat up everyone, could carry over to Spider-Man stuff. So he becomes prone to surveying a situation instead of charging in fists flying.

Maybe aggressive was the wrong word, I probably should have used assertive instead.

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the idea of a more serious, confident yet quiet, non brooding Peter who tries his best to prove himself. With good execution it may work.

@marvelman92 said:

Andrew's Peter was tempered but not energetic. Pretty sure the op meant a good mix of both. Andrew's peter was more on the side of angst filled mopey teenager and it hardly worked.

Dude, the guy rarely or barely moped nor was the guy ever emo. infact he was like that towards other situations. aggressive being trying to stand up to Flash, fighting bad guys, disagreeing with George Stacey about spidey, etc.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By kcomicfan

I think it would be interesting.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

No Caption Provided

This wasn't aggressive enough for you people? For shame.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clonesaga2099:

I actually read and really enjoyed Scarlet Spider, Kaine is one of my favorite Spiders. Now obviously Ditko Spider-Man, and the MCU Peter aren't and shouldn't be on Kaine's level of aggression, but I mean being capable of standing up for himself. A sarcastic remark or something back, after Tobey stood up to Flash he kinda just takes everything people dump on him. Not trying to bash Tobey the movies were nice.

That's the thing though. Tobey didn't stop with Flash. He also stood up for himself with the wrestling promoter. See Tobey's Peter stood up for himself a lot once he got his powers. However, MJ gave Pete a hard and offended look, when Peter 'bullied' (or got his revenge against) Flash. Plus, due to Peter choosing to 'stand up for himself' (or get revenge) against the wrestling promoter. Due to the "I missed the part where that's my problem" moment, Uncle Ben died (arguably). Because Parker chose to 'stand up for himself', be aggressive, or enact some sort of revenge it ended up costing Peter himself. He learned the trite phrase of the series, "With Great Power."

Yes, Parker should defend himself and have a backbone, but the problem is, all 5 films have shown an aspect of that. Tom Holland doing it won't be groundbreaking. Andrew Garfield definitely was a confident loner and Tobey stood up for himself in the beginning. I just don't see this new Spider-Man being different by being "aggressive" unless he acts like Kaine or SpOck.

But, yeah, whatever. (+)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.