Follow

Speedball

Character » Speedball appears in 742 issues.

After being given kinetic energy based powers in a laboratory accident, Robbie Baldwin became the hero Speedball. He blamed himself for the Stamford tragedy and briefly remodeled himself as Penance. Returned to the Speedball alias, he continues to atone for his past while trying to restart the New Warriors.

Emo or not?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118
    deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Anyone think this guy is...Emo?

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By warlock360

Referring to abused term "Emo", No, his powers are activated by stimulating his nerval system, best way to do that is to hurt himself.

Avatar image for moonknightfan123
    MoonKnightFan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MoonKnightFan123

LOL exactly
    and also GLI SUmmer Special cough

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#4  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @MoonKnightFan123 said:
    "LOL exactlyand also GLI SUmmer Special cough"

Wow, that was worth bumping a dead thread after 8 months...

He's not an emo.  Read the Relentless mini series.  He was planning his revenge on Nitro.
    MoonKnightFan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MoonKnightFan123
    @xerox-kitty:@xerox-kitty said:
    " @MoonKnightFan123 said:
    "LOL exactlyand also GLI SUmmer Special cough"
    Wow, that was worth bumping a dead thread after 8 months...He's not an emo.  Read the Relentless mini series.  He was planning his revenge on Nitro. "
    Okay I will.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By xerox_kitty

Actually, I take that back...

Marvel have just rendered their own mini series completely pointless.  Robbie has seemingly gone from being a calculating vengeful mastermind on the run, to a dribbling mass of flesh in a padded cell.  Would it kill Joey Q to remember his own work?!

Avengers: The Initiative #25

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By warlock360

well if you read that issue you'll know that in those very pictures he counted up the people he killed :>

MoonKnightFan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MoonKnightFan123

I read Penance Relentless, it was awesome!!!1
    But he's emo in the newer comics? awww @#$%

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xerox_kitty

The point is, there's absolutely NO explanation why he's incarcerated & insane again.  He shouldn't even be Penance any more!  The end of the Relentless mini series was clear: free, suitless and free from Osborne.  Now it's as if the mini series never happened.  Crap, crap, crap crapcrapcrapcrap...!!!

MoonKnightFan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MoonKnightFan123
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " The point is, there's absolutely NO explanation why he's incarcerated & insane again.  He shouldn't even be Penance any more!  The end of the Relentless mini series was clear: free, suitless and free from Osborne.  Now it's as if the mini series never happened.  Crap, crap, crap crapcrapcrapcrap...!!! "

ooh i know this one! Penance got apparently drugged by Moonstone!!!!11 As said on Wikipedia..
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @MoonKnightFan123 said:
    " ooh i know this one! Penance got apparently drugged by Moonstone!!!!11 As said on Wikipedia.. "
    I never cease to be impressed by people who quote Wiki as a reliable source of information and use 111 instead of exclamation marks.

Robbie had a chance of starting again.  Even if he hadn't changed back to Speedball, there was a possibility that they might have done something original and interesting with his character.  However, they've effectively made the whole of Penance: Relentless redundant.  And taken him back to square one.  Boring!!
    MoonKnightFan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MoonKnightFan123
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " @MoonKnightFan123 said:
    " ooh i know this one! Penance got apparently drugged by Moonstone!!!!11 As said on Wikipedia.. "
    I never cease to be impressed by people who quote Wiki as a reliable source of information and use 111 instead of exclamation marks.

Robbie had a chance of starting again.  Even if he hadn't changed back to Speedball, there was a possibility that they might have done something original and interesting with his character.  However, they've effectively made the whole of Penance: Relentless redundant.  And taken him back to square one.  Boring!!
    "
    Yeah. I like Penance but I just finished reading New Warriors limited series, and it was awesome. Speedball was awesome. Sad most of them are dead now. Damn Joe Q
    EN16MA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By EN16MA

i doubt theyd take him all the way back to square one plus hes already original. what other superhero (in marvel) killed that many people and did somethin like him. thats different in my book ive seen that happen. And i prefer him the way he is, after the stamford disaster. The survivors guilt, new powers and the new image is what started him on the fast track to originality. And he can still be penance the way i see it he wasnt penance because nitro was still free it was the guilt. Him joining the thunderbolts was really awesome tho.

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dont think so...

1. he hurts himself, and likes it (i have scans of him saying it too). emo boys dont like "real" pain.
    2. pictures from Initiative: looks bad, but at the moment he just got dragged out of a severe mental ward he's been in, where he's been drugged and had treatment thats geared to do anything but stabalize him
    3. he has a "real"reason to be bummed out. he saw alot of people die, including his friends, and holds himself accountable (after all, he was there and survived, and told by the nation it was fault). he then reinvented himself, as a matter of becoming bigger than it. emo's do none of the above, nor do they have genuine reasons, which is the whole point behind them meeting with disaproval. an emo will be dragged out because a musician for example whom theyve never met had a bad day, or likewise or less.
    emo is a person who walks around in the darkest downest mood, but not when they should be, for a valid reason nor a clinical one.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xerox_kitty

I think it's a little too flippant to just call him 'emo'.   

He's still in his teenage years, he was just trying to be a hero when he became 'the most hated man in America'.  He was held solely responsible for the deaths of over 600 people because he was caught on camera making a silly little comment along the lines of 'think of the ratings'.  It's only natural for someone who was stuck in that situation to become depressed and emotionally scarred. 

However, the Relentless series was Robbie's big plan.  It showed what he had been up to, why it looked like he was crazy & what all the numbers meant.  At the end of it all he had exacted his revenge on Nitro and went on the run. 

So WHY would he still be in a padded cell recounting the deaths that he no longer felt responsible for?  Because Marvel want to flog this dead horse a lot longer.  It's bad continuity purely because Joe Quesada hates the character and seems to get a kick by telling fans that the real Speedball is an ape.

EN16MA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By EN16MA

I agree with you both theres no way hes emo and i bet Joe whats-his-face dose hate him, but its good that he just dosent get over all the people "he killed". A real person wouldnt most likely theyd kill them selves. He dosent belong in a padded cell tho and i think what moonknightfan said was true. The proofs there Moonstones a bitch she got the snot kicked out of her by Penance and shes had problems with him It all connects to well.
    Avatar image for ree_fullface_cap_nine
    ree-fullface-cap_nine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Robbie Baldwin and Jessica Drew should get togeather civil war and secret invasion messed with them both they could help each other... Oh and he is not emo and that s all i have to say about that.
    thedevilhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By thedevilhunter
    @xerox-kitty:
    its becouse his new look is more apealing to them then speedball version
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Weezer used to be emo... I miss the days when it meant something different.

Avatar image for silver_knight75
    Silver Knight75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By Silver Knight75

If the nation blames you for causing the deaths of six hundred people (60 of them children), becoming one of the most hated people in the world and can't get your side of the story to the public, put in a jail where everyone wants to tear you apart (including the guards), ostracized by your parents, shot by the father of a little girl whose death he blames you for....would you be able to walk out of all that without a scratch or a trace of emotional scarring? 

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
    @inferiorego said:
    " Weezer used to be emo... I miss the days when it meant something different. "
    Same
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By danhimself

most of you guys have no idea what "emo" even means

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
    @danhimself said:
    " most of you guys have no idea what "emo" even means "
    I gave up on trying to tell people anymore
    Avatar image for crimsonspider89
    crimsonspider89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By crimsonspider89

I mean, how would you feel if you killed 600 and some odd people or thought you did and was hated by all. He was about to revert to normal when Norman started to drug him to keep him under his control. I hope he blasts Moonstone into the moon.

Avatar image for silver_knight75
    Silver Knight75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 10

#25  Edited By Silver Knight75

What I don't get is why everyone is blaming him when it was mostly Nitro's fault.

Avatar image for crimsonspider89
    crimsonspider89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By crimsonspider89

IDK, he blames himself for the death of his friends though. It was Nitro's but wasn't he the veteran member of the team? Anyway, I REALLY do hope he blows Moonstone to the moon.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.