Follow

Spawn (Simmons)

Character » Spawn (Simmons) appears in 1427 issues.

A highly trained assassin, murdered by his employer and former friend Chapel. Albert ''Al'' Francis Simmons sold his soul to Malebolgia, one of the many rulers of the Hell, in order to see his wife Wanda Blake again. Malebolgia had other things in mind for Al and sent him back to earth with no memory as a Hellspawn, one of his soldiers, to do his bidding. After realizing what he had lost, Al swore revenge, and became the vigilante known as Spawn.

Would penance stare defeat Spawn?

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb283632dba9
    deactivated-5bb283632dba9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

Would Ghost Rider's penance stare in a fight with Spawn kill him. He soul to Malebolgia so doesn't that mean he technically has no soul anymore.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Caligula

interesting question.

I think it's up for interpretation honestly. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here. Because I can see how it would and how it would not work. So yes and no.

AntiHeroMofo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By AntiHeroMofo

That's a really good question. I'm with Caligula though. I guess we'll never know until there's an official publication of it.
    MFK300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By MFK300

Given that the Penance Stare does not work on those that are mentally unstable, and Spawn is one of the characters that is a poster child for a straight jacket I would say no. More than likely it would effect Ghost Rider the same way it did when he used it on Carnage and knock him out. Giving Spawn the chance to do whatever he felt like.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator
    @MFK300 said:
    Given that the Penance Stare does not work on those that are mentally unstable, and Spawn is one of the characters that is a poster child for a straight jacket I would say no. More than likely it would effect Ghost Rider the same way it did when he used it on Carnage and knock him out. Giving Spawn the chance to do whatever he felt like.
    What are you talking about? Spawn isn't insane the guy is a dark brooding character not mentally unstable like Carnage.
    MFK300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MFK300
    @god_spawn: Spawn has shown himself to be a bit unstable at times, he has heard voices, had delusions, oh and he sold his soul to the devil, something tells me his psyche isn't all there.
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By cattlebattle

Doesn't the penance stare only work on the living?? Spawn is technically a zombie of sorts right?? I'm not to clear exactly on either character, so I would also like to know this

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator
    @MFK300 said:
    @god_spawn: Spawn has shown himself to be a bit unstable at times, he has heard voices, had delusions, oh and he sold his soul to the devil, something tells me his psyche isn't all there.
    He sold his soul to the devil to try and get a chance to win his wife back. You were making him out to be a psychotic animal and comparing him to Carnage which is wrong.
    MFK300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MFK300
    @god_spawn: No I was not I was stating that the Penance Stare doesn't work on those whose minds are unstable. Spawn's mind is unstable, I used carnage as an example because it was an actual reference from a comic event. Thanks for trying to put words in my mouth though...
    god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator
    @MFK300 said:
    @god_spawn: No I was not I was stating that the Penance Stare doesn't work on those whose minds are unstable. Spawn's mind is unstable, I used carnage as an example because it was an actual reference from a comic event. Thanks for trying to put words in my mouth though...
    My bad, I thought you were comparing him to Carnage.Nothing from reading Spawn up until Endgame has shown him to be insane to me.
    MFK300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MFK300
    @god_spawn: It's okay, I just like having facts when I call out a scenario that's why I used Carnage. Also, it's been noted that a hell-spawn hears the former hell-spawns so once again this would conflict with Ghost Riders Stare. And the Penance Stare depending on who is the one using it also doesn't work on creatures from hell.
    god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator
    @MFK300 said:

@god_spawn: It's okay, I just like having facts when I call out a scenario that's why I used Carnage. Also, it's been noted that a hell-spawn hears the former hell-spawns so once again this would conflict with Ghost Riders Stare. And the Penance Stare depending on who is the one using it also doesn't work on creatures from hell.

Please show me what issues Spawn is "insane" in. He has his issues like Wolverine and snapping but that doesn't make them insane. There is a difference between hearing voices of telepathic demons like violator or former Hellspawns because he is a special case. Give me something that actually makes him straight jacket worthy.
    MFK300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MFK300

Issue 118 is a good example of his fracture psyche.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator
    @MFK300: He's having dreams and nightmares of what his past life and what his life could be all while being in hell, that shows nothing of him being insane. I said before he has his snapping moments out of anger kind of like Wolverine in instances, but that says he should be in a straight jacket. He is a dark and brooding and almost in alot of pain anti-hero like character not an insane one. He isn't like Moon Knight, Mr. X , Deadpool, Bullseye or Carnage, thoughs guys are crazy and different types, Spawn is not.
    Avatar image for i_madc_imageguy_
    I'maDC/ImageGuy!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By I'maDC/ImageGuy!

Spawn is so broken in his abilities so....no.

MFK300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MFK300
    @god_spawn: Calm down killer. I was merely answering the thread question inregards to the Penance Stare, if you want to talk about Al's mental stability feel free to open a new thread and I'll think about joining, but as far as this thread is concerened Al is 1. Crazy and 2. A minion of hell, ergo the Penance Stare does not work.
    Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Mega_spidey01

no it wouldn't work on spawn.

superstay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By superstay

I think he's more of a Ghoul, But there basically the same thing just Ghouls are not mindless walking viruses.

Zyrathok1978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The penance stare only works on beings with a soul,spawn has no soul so the answer is NO IT WOULD NOT WORK!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.