Follow

Spawn (Simmons)

Character » Spawn (Simmons) appears in 1430 issues.

A highly trained assassin, murdered by his employer and former friend Chapel. Albert ''Al'' Francis Simmons sold his soul to Malebolgia, one of the many rulers of the Hell, in order to see his wife Wanda Blake again. Malebolgia had other things in mind for Al and sent him back to earth with no memory as a Hellspawn, one of his soldiers, to do his bidding. After realizing what he had lost, Al swore revenge, and became the vigilante known as Spawn.

Why did Spawn fall in popularity? Can it ever be regained?

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Captain13

In the 90s, Spawn was outselling Superman, had his own cartoon, and had his own movie. What happened? Can he ever regain his popularity? Should he be rebooted to be more or less hardcore? Should he be modernized? Can he be modernized?

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By PrinceIMC

He was a fad of the 90's like ridiculous muscles, guns and pockets on super-heroes. I don't think he'll ever really be as popular as he was back then.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By InnerVenom123

The stories got really, really convoluted from what I heard. And I guess he just isn't in style right now. Image feels like a company trapped in the 90s. Not that that's always a bad thing. Haunt has been fantastic, but idk if it has 90s syndrome :P

geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By geraldthesloth

Probably because Todd McFarlane is a total douche.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @geraldthesloth said:
    " Probably because Todd McFarlane is a total douche. "
    What did he do?
    geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By geraldthesloth
    @InnerVenom123 said:
    " @geraldthesloth said:
    What did he do? "
    I've heard he's just a total ass in person as far as his personality goes, also look at his suit with Neil Gaiman over Marvelman
    King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By King_Saturn
    I dont know if Spawn will ever be like it was... 
    Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Green Skin
    @geraldthesloth said:
    QFT
    theiconic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By theiconic

mc'todds a  doucher....spawn was sooo bad asss 

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Gambit1024

I think the fans should reclaim Spawn and save him.  

I heard they're gonna make another movie soon. 

He was such a badass. I miss Spawn =(

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

He's too powerful.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @Gambit1024 said:
    " I think the fans should reclaim Spawn and save him.   I heard they're gonna make another movie soon.  He was such a badass. I miss Spawn =( "
    Yeah, Todd says he's writing/directing the new movie. Apparently it's not a reboot, but just a "stand alone story" or what have you.
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Gambit1024
    @InnerVenom123 said:
    " @Gambit1024 said:
    " I think the fans should reclaim Spawn and save him.   I heard they're gonna make another movie soon.  He was such a badass. I miss Spawn =( "
    Yeah, Todd says he's writing/directing the new movie. Apparently it's not a reboot, but just a "stand alone story" or what have you. "
    Yup. Not only that but I hear it's scary as hell too. Maybe this could boost up his popularity a little bit. 
    sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By sexy_merc

I don't think there will be a comeback anytime soon unless he gets a series with an already famous character in Image or cross-company, along with positive reception.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @Gambit1024 said:
    " @InnerVenom123 said:
    " @Gambit1024 said:
    Yeah, Todd says he's writing/directing the new movie. Apparently it's not a reboot, but just a "stand alone story" or what have you. "
    Yup. Not only that but I hear it's scary as hell too. Maybe this could boost up his popularity a little bit.  "
    Really? A movie about Spawn, that's SCARY? FINALLY. xD I hope Violator does that thing from the HBO show where, instead of shape shifting, he literally rips out of skins.
    sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sexy_merc

There was a Spawn movie in the past, but it wasn't that good in my opinion.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Gambit1024
    @InnerVenom123 said:
    " @Gambit1024 said:
    " @InnerVenom123 said:
    " @Gambit1024 said:
    Yup. Not only that but I hear it's scary as hell too. Maybe this could boost up his popularity a little bit.  "
    Really? A movie about Spawn, that's SCARY? FINALLY. xD I hope Violator does that thing from the HBO show where, instead of shape shifting, he literally rips out of skins. "
    Totally! With today's special effects, I think Spawn can be totally doable on film. And you KNOW it's gonna be in 3D *rolls eyes*
    Mediant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By Mediant

http://www.comicvine.com/spawn/29-3381/whatever-happened-to-spawn/92-534850/#18

@Winfield said:

" I think Spawns popularity was mainly driven by McFarlane and Image's popularity.  McFarlane's own popularity faded as he put out less work in comics. I'd say his credibility was also damaged by his collection of balls and the ongoing fiasco with Gaiman.  Image's popularity decreased because they were very closely linked to the speculators boom and subsequent bust of the 90s.  There is also the stigma of being an artists company while everyone else was beginning to really focus on writing. With creator and company going off the boil, and the industry as a whole shrinking Spawn faded into relative obscurity. "

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Captain13

So I'm still wondering what the fans want to see to make him popular again.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By longbowhunter

A friend of mine used to be a BIG Spawn fan. In his opinion the comic should have ended at #100. I think every character has redeeming qualities. In the right hands Spawn could be on the top of his game again. Stranger things have happened.
    Avatar image for i_madc_imageguy_
    I'maDC/ImageGuy!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By I'maDC/ImageGuy!

Comic book spectator market and fans of marvel comic artist were the reason of his popularity. Most fans of his work were preteen to young adults who though blood and guns were mature story telling. Parents and adults bought issue one thinking it'll be worth a lot of money only to realize it wasn't worth anything. Too be quite honest Neil Giaman wrote a fantastic issue crossover with Cerberus and independent comics vs mainstream Marvel/DC. Spawn it self was okay I only read spawn origins collection and don't plan on reading it after that. Spawns problem is that once he solves a problem he just goes back to his alley and cries about Wanda.

avengpymhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By avengpymhawk

I know I stopped reading and collecting Spawn for two reasons. The first was that this was always an art driven title, and not so much a plot driven one. I never knew or truly cared for any of the characters. And the second reason, which sadly is still true for all Image titles today even it being 18 years later, and that is constantly coming out late.
    hdorman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By hdorman1

well al simmons died cos the burnt out his story completely  
    so they got a new spawn  
    its horrible tbh

Avatar image for saiyan_earthling
    saiyan_earthling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By saiyan_earthling

Spawn was cool back then.

Avatar image for stikfigureman2d
    stikfigureman2d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25  Edited By stikfigureman2d

i think because he never progressed completely, he always ended up again in the alleyways

Avatar image for reversenegative
    ReverseNegative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#26  Edited By ReverseNegative

Mcfarlane's been talking about getting Spawn's popularity up with the new movie and animation, but he keeps delaying it, because he's Todd Mcfarlane, that's what he does.

Mediant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mediant
    @Captain13 said:
    " So I'm still wondering what the fans want to see to make him popular again. "
    To make him popular you need to consult the people who aren't fans of him. I agree that Simmons's repeated returns to brooding in the alleys is annoying, they finally started working away from that around #100.

Personally, I'm still a fan of Spawn. The only thing hindering me is trying to catch up with the current issues. It's extremely costly since you have to buy them individually rather than in collected editions past (I think) #116. I'm not sure what things are like with the new Spawn host, but I think the one of the biggest things holding down the series is Al Simmons's character.
    Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Captain13
    @Mediant said:
    " @Captain13 said:
    " So I'm still wondering what the fans want to see to make him popular again. "
    To make him popular you need to consult the people who aren't fans of him. 
    Good point. lol 

@Mediant said:
    I'm not sure what things are like with the new Spawn host, but I think the one of the biggest things holding down the series is Al Simmons's character. "
    What do you mean by that? Is he too broody, vengeful, or violent? Is he not heroic enough? Do you think he should be rebooted to get back to basics or do you think a good writer can get back to the essence of the character without a reboot like what Geoff Johns did for GL and Flash?
    Mediant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Mediant
    @Captain13: Simmons, since the beginning of the series, has been extremely emotional. He is totally blinded by his anger and so is manipulated with very little effort. For the first half of the series at least, Al is stuck in this really annoying cycle: Some one pushes his buttons; He is manipulated into rash action; His bad choices cause him not to progress in any sense; He pouts in alleys about his situation, but learns nothing from it. Then the cycle start all over.
    The character is so single minded that he never makes any headway. He never gets over his hang ups. He never learns from his mistakes. His revelations are few and far between and even when he gains them it only seems to serve to make him even more despondent over his situation. Simmons just swings between ineffectual self-pity and rage fueled recklessness.
    Admittedly, I'm not caught up to where things are now and I know he does eventually go through some changes, but that cycle exists for at least the first 90 issues. That's a long time.

I think they just need to get the series back to a new(ish) Hellspawn.
    Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Captain13
    @Mediant said:

" @Captain13: Simmons, since the beginning of the series, has been extremely emotional. He is totally blinded by his anger and so is manipulated with very little effort. For the first half of the series at least, Al is stuck in this really annoying cycle: Some one pushes his buttons; He is manipulated into rash action; His bad choices cause him not to progress in any sense; He pouts in alleys about his situation, but learns nothing from it. Then the cycle start all over. The character is so single minded that he never makes any headway. He never gets over his hang ups. He never learns from his mistakes. His revelations are few and far between and even when he gains them it only seems to serve to make him even more despondent over his situation. Simmons just swings between ineffectual self-pity and rage fueled recklessness.Admittedly, I'm not caught up to where things are now and I know he does eventually go through some changes, but that cycle exists for at least the first 90 issues. That's a long time.  I think they just need to get the series back to a new(ish) Hellspawn. "

Good points. Thanks for your post. =)
    Avatar image for i_madc_imageguy_
    I'maDC/ImageGuy!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By I'maDC/ImageGuy!

Spawn has some good ideas it's not well excicuted by someone who can write except Neil Gaiman. Wanda has moved on without him so why can't he, he was a ruler of hell yet he hasn't done anything with that amount of power. Al Simmons a good guy and Todd thinks making him a bogeyman is a good idea.  umm...Why?

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Crom-Cruach

Spawn started off well, ended in an epic fashion with the Divine Spawn arc. After that the series went downhill. As to if he could get there. problem is after the Divine Spawn arc. There was no reason to continue the story. It was so final in it's execution that it basically meant the end of the Spawn verse.

And image has awesome stuff. Not all of it is good. But some of the stuff they put out is pure win

ReverseNegative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ReverseNegative
    @Crom-Cruach said:
    " Spawn started off well, ended in an epic fashion with the Divine Spawn arc. After that the series went downhill. As to if he could get there. problem is after the Divine Spawn arc. There was no reason to continue the story. It was so final in it's execution that it basically meant the end of the Spawn verse. And image has awesome stuff. Not all of it is good. But some of the stuff they put out is pure win "
    That pretty much sums it up.
    bigalow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By bigalow

The problem was the beyond epic storylines and the fact that all he ever did was sit in an ally and brood and cry like a bitch about wanda,also the stories were very sacreligious which turned off some readers.
    NexusOfLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By NexusOfLight
    @ReverseNegative said:
    " @Crom-Cruach said:
    " Spawn started off well, ended in an epic fashion with the Divine Spawn arc. After that the series went downhill. As to if he could get there. problem is after the Divine Spawn arc. There was no reason to continue the story. It was so final in it's execution that it basically meant the end of the Spawn verse. And image has awesome stuff. Not all of it is good. But some of the stuff they put out is pure win "
    That pretty much sums it up. "
    Yeah, which is probably why Al ended his life soon after that. I know most people are all like "I would hate it if my favorite characters were killed off permanently," but with Spawn it worked. I loved it when Al ended it. The story had its ups and downs, but he was done, which was cool. I'm still a fan of Spawn, and I like what's goin' on with Jim Downing (the new Spawn), and I'm still buying the issues as they come out simply because the nature of the story seems to have turned more into a street-level/noir like thing, which is something I'm really into. 

All and all, I'm still a fan of Spawn. I like where the series is going. I recommend the Endgame arc to people looking for a story that sorta has that vibe. As for most people "growing out" of Spawn, the only real explanation I can give is people were into it for the sake of being into it. 90's character and all. 

@bigalow said:
    " also the stories were very sacreligious which turned off some readers. "
    Oh, that was also probably a big part of it. I got sorta upset when the story started out one way and then flipped over when they tried to explain how God and Satan were brothers and Jesus/Man of Miracles is God's son and his mom at the same time. Still a good story, ignoring some of the wonky things, but definitely a turn off.
    Larkin1388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Larkin1388

I would love to see spawn regain its popularity. I was always a fan. I believe its possible but not likely. Although i would very much like to see it.

Avatar image for dementedtheclown
    dementedtheclown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By dementedtheclown

Its Cause He's Black

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Primmaster64
    @PrinceIMC said:
    " He was a fad of the 90's like ridiculous muscles, guns and pockets on super-heroes. I don't think he'll ever really be as popular as he was back then. "

rasx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#39  Edited By rasx
    @Captain13:
    Bring back Al Simons as Spawn and I'll buy the book again. That new guy is so boring, I replaced Spawn with the Darkness, months ago.
    Mediant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Mediant
    @dementedtheclown: lol wow...
    ReverseNegative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ReverseNegative
    @Mediant said:
    " @dementedtheclown: lol wow... "
    Actually, alot of characters from Image are like that. Spawn, Chapel, Shadowhawk. All the same.
    IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By IrishX

My first thought was that the character never deserved the popularity to begin with...

Mediant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Mediant
    @IrishX: Heretic!
    dj_tony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By dj_tony

Spawn was pretty sweet... but  I think i liked the books with sam and twitch in them the best.. They Rock!!!!!!

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Primmaster64
    @NexusOfLight: Yes it is...
    NXH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By NXH

Anyone recommend a good jumping on point for the Spawn comic? 
    I've already some of the first few issues or so and watched the HBO show.

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#47  Edited By lorex

I havent followed Spawn for some time but I remenber when early on he killed a child killer with popsicle sticks and the little rhyme 
     "Boys screamed and girls screamed. So I made him scream and scream and scream..."   That was great. I think where Spawn 
    went wrong was the creator McFarlane was not involved and was more into the business and as the stories went on they became 
    more convoluted and interest dies off. I stopped reading Spawn years ago partly, for that reason.

ReverseNegative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ReverseNegative
    @lorex said:
    " I havent followed Spawn for some time but I remenber when early on he killed a child killer with popsicle sticks and the little rhyme   "Boys screamed and girls screamed. So I made him scream and scream and scream..."   That was great. I think where Spawn  went wrong was the creator McFarlane was not involved and was more into the business and as the stories went on they became  more convoluted and interest dies off. I stopped reading Spawn years ago partly, for that reason. "
    Todd Mcfarlane's wife was editing the book until that issue with the child killer, then she left the comic because she was disgusted by it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.