Follow

Spawn (Simmons)

Character » Spawn (Simmons) appears in 1427 issues.

A highly trained assassin, murdered by his employer and former friend Chapel. Albert ''Al'' Francis Simmons sold his soul to Malebolgia, one of the many rulers of the Hell, in order to see his wife Wanda Blake again. Malebolgia had other things in mind for Al and sent him back to earth with no memory as a Hellspawn, one of his soldiers, to do his bidding. After realizing what he had lost, Al swore revenge, and became the vigilante known as Spawn.

Todd McFarlane Still Wants To See A 'Spawn' Movie

• 58 results
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

This is not the first we've heard of a possible Spawn movie. In fact, we've been hearing about it from the mouth of the character's creator, Todd McFarlane, for years now. Will there be one made, or won't there? In a recent interview McFarlane revealed that the prospect of a Spawn movie is, in fact, on the horizon. Or at least it is something that the character's creator is thinking about and currently in talks of creating. According to him, a certain "Oscar winning actor" has already shown interest in the role and that he speaks to him frequently about the script.

No Caption Provided
    "Every three weeks he’s on the phone going, ‘Todd, where’s the script? Todd, where’s the script?’” And he adds, "The pitch I gave was that we could do ten of these for the next ten years and he wouldn’t have to be 22 for the rest of his life.”

So the question remains, who could this mysterious Oscar award winning actor be that is so deeply interested in the prospect of playing Spawn for the big screen? A source pointed out that actor Jamie Foxx had a quick photo-op back in 2011 where the actor visited the artist's office and was given a personalized sketch by McFarlane. So could it be Jaime? He's seen so much success lately, from Ray, to Django Unchained and now more recently he has been cast as Electro in the upcoming sequel to Amazing Spider-Man 2. We also imagine that Foxx is likely not lacking in the prospective roles department and that he is actually pretty in demand in Hollywood, even if he is a fan of Spawn's character and McFarlane's work on the series. So is he the mysterious actor McFarlane is referring to, or is it someone else entirely?

What Oscar award winning actor do you think McFarlane could be referring to? Who do you think would make a good Spawn in a major motion picture? Is it a movie you would watch?

Source: WhoSay and First Showing

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By xblah_blahx

I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the last Spawn movie :-/ However, I would love to see a good Spawn movie on the big screen.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By evilvegeta74

Go for it Jamie!

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

DO IT!.... DO IT!.... DO IT!

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4  Edited By zombietag

of course todd still does haha

Smurfboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Smurfboy

Jamie is a good actor. I have to see him dressing up as Spawn to see what it looks like.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Way I see it, a new Spawn movie has no where to go but up over the original one made in the 90s so, if this is going to be done, then I say go for it. And I can see Foxx in role, sure. Ask me a year or two ago and I'd have said no, but now, I think he'd be a perfect candidate. Lets see it happen!

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#7  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

*Cough* Have a God Spawn costume in a movie *cough*.

Acharya77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Acharya77

If done right this could be a good idea. If only done right though.

TheHeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheHeat

It's definitely Foxx.

GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 23

#10  Edited By GothamRed

Will this one violate me?

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By TDK_1997  Online

I also want a Spawn movie.

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12  Edited By SavageDragon

Theres an interview I saw with McFarlane about how he would like to have a future Spawn movie play out. He talked about it having a noir ish feel to it. There would be murders of criminals happening in the alleys and slums of the city and the story would partly focus on Sam and Twitch (the dectectives) and them trying to figure out whos behind these grisly murders. At first you would see a shadow move here, a chain and cape move there but not a full Spawn shot. You would here Al Simmons voice and his past would be revealed through flashbacks in black and white (his life as a government wetworks killer). Sam and Twitch would be working a case but Twiich would eventually see a connection to the missing Government weapons (stolen by Al) and the grisly murders popping up in The Alleys. Spawn would be completely visible the second half of the movie but it would still try and keep the shadowey figure roll. Jason Wynn could be teased at the end. This is basically what Todd said in the interview a few years back I wish I could find it, I for one love that idea and would be more than Fine with Foxx as Al Simmons.

Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Om1kron

This is honestly my personal opinion... I followed Todd around back in 1995-1997 to Comic-con to Los Angeles Comic convention. I was the biggest spawn fan, I started late, around issue 30 up till 50. At that point there really was no reason to go back and read issue 1-whatever. And I was an avid fan of his toy collection. I wasted hundreds if not thousands of dollars on all of the spawn collections and a few movie sets.

Spawn could do no wrong back then, and with the money and budget they vested into his film back then, Todd was making things possible for super hero films that no other company had interest in back in the nineties and now we have marvel pumping out some good films and sublets pumping out some bad ones.

I think now, spawn is not really the relevant character over at mcfarlane productions anymore. At least not Al Simmons, I don't think anyone honestly would give 2 shits about a re-write or a re-launch of that particular franchise. Simmons doesn't even exist in the comic books anymore. That storyline has past, and it's not like people are HUGE fans of spawn anymore. I personally can't even read the book anymore. I feel it's best run was up until Al Simmons went into hell and killed Malebolgia, and who knows what the hell happened with Jason Wynn... That's where I stopped reading but I'm pretty sure he got his.

I would be way more interested in seeing HAUNT brought to the big screen, that's the new mcfarlane property that can possibly go somewhere. And I think is really an under the radar book that more people should be reading! While it was nostalgic to get the start from Capullo and Ottley, then shift over to the team they have now which is doing an awesome job.

I really think McFarlane needs to let spawn go as a movie entity. The interest from the public is just not there I feel, but hey Rob Liefeld is working on a Youngblood movie, and I don't even know who's reading that shit...

It's really bittersweet for me as a fan, and I don't see why Jamie Foxx should be involved at all. The acting chops for this should go right back to Michael Jai White imo... He's a great actor and kind of got shamed on that first go around, especially with the white Terry Fitzgerald bullshit compromise McFarlane made.

His desperation to get Spawn on the big screen again is most likely why many studios don't really care to hear him out, especially after how poorly the original film did.

He SHOULD focus more on trying to get another animation series going, Spawn gained a LOT of ground in popularity due to the HBO series from the 90's. And that is the direction he should really approach with that franchise.

Again, from one of Todd's biggest fans in the 90's, not so much these days. That is my honest opinion and would love to tell him face to face if I ever run into him again.

-Wayne

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By nerdork

Oscar award winning actor...Philip Seymour Hoffman?

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

Foxx would be better than the guy they had before, I think. As long as he played it as a drama and not a comedy like Ferral did with Bullseye.

Imagine if they went the Sin City rout with the effects and lighting?

Spawn can hide in the shadows like he used to be drawn, and his cape and all the effects could be as graphic as McFarlane's art.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#16  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Never mind the film, I want to read some damn Spawn comics. Yea Comixology, I'm talking to you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
    deactivated-5791595859013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think we are a good decade past Spawn's sell by date

wmwadeii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2261

#18  Edited By wmwadeii

I didn't mind the original movie, wasn't too bad but did suffer because they had to edit a lot of it to make the PG13 audience. I think movies like Watchmen show you can have a rated R movie that does well. Similar to what HBO did with the animated series years ago.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

Is it okay if I think Spawn isn't all that great?

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By daredevil21134

@god_spawn said:

LONG LIVE AL SIMMONS!!!!

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By daredevil21134

They should start by bringing Al Simmons back in the comics

paulcousins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By paulcousins

I would love to see a spawn movie. but I think it would only be good if McFarlane had nothing to do with it. the last spawn movie made my soul cry.

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By EdBlank

The character Spawn is a mess to me. He's a demon from hell with guns. Pick one: merc or demon. He has this random power that I hate "What does it do?" "Depends on what it needs to be able to do" YAWN. Then the whole demon as good guy and angels as bad guys thing is something a middle school heavy metal fan would think was cool. That's why it woul dhave a hard time especially since the hype has died down. It doesn't really make sense. Too muddy with no real theme. Special effects are great but the story is what will capture the audience.

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mutant God

huh weird I just saw a Spawn movie, just 3 minutes ago on some movie channel

Kerrigan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By Kerrigan

Todd can already see Spawn on the big screen. And if he listens very careful he can probably hear Martin Sheen quietly weeping, too.

The last movie was at Spawn's peak. Right now I doubt enough people care to make it viable. Although I'm probably biased, as Spawn has always bored me.

CircularLogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#26  Edited By CircularLogic

The problem is that Spawn is just terrible source material for anything. There's a reason know one cares about it anymore

MatKrenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 255

#27  Edited By MatKrenz

Might as well put this here. If anyone is interested ti see a huge reviews series of only reviewing Spawn stuff you can go here to watch it: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLO4TMPdUd-6O5F_OWiiZViaBXBlXpn1Vy

It's being done by someone who is a huge Spawn fan and is doing it in a very interesting format.

Here's the prologue and episode one just to try it out

MrShway88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MrShway88

I saw the first spawn movie and thought it was alright. Never read a spawn comic before though. Can anyone (a fan or spawn) tell what was so wrong with it? Also spawn isn't as big any more.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#29  Edited By Teerack

Here we find early planing of a box office flop.

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By JamDamage

give it a rest Todd.

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Mega_spidey01
    @daredevil21134 said:

They should start by bringing Al Simmons back in the comics

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Mega_spidey01

the need to make a Dmc movie  just like the rebooted game.

tomlikesfries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 106

#33  Edited By tomlikesfries

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

NO!

velvetmeds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By velvetmeds

I'd pay to watch it

dimmoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By dimmoe

Bring it on

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

#36  Edited By Cavemold

Dream on

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#37  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

HELLL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

bloggerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By bloggerboy

@god_spawn said:

YES! YES! YES!

Spawn92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Spawn92

Everyone is saying that Spawn can't work because he isn't at the height of his popularity. Was Dredd popular during either films? Was Elektra or DareDevil at the pinnacle of their popularity when they got films? Considering the boom of Comic Movies I think Spawn could get another movie. Im still reading Spawn, and as of late, the comic is presented in a more cinematic way. They are basically stories that reflect "real" and "urban" crime dramas and dark action flicks... but with a hell soldier that tears people apart with chains. By the sounds of things, Todd has had an idea for a new Spawn movie for years that hasn't gotten picked up by anyone because people are quick to dismiss it due to the first Spawn movie. Using Dredd as a recent example, not all reboots turn out bad.

Avatar image for crimsonalchemist
    CrimsonAlchemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By CrimsonAlchemist

This would be so fing awesome!

Avatar image for darklydreamingdeadpool
    DarklyDreamingDeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

spawn is one of my childhood heroes, but to be honest, i've stopped reading it when al killed himself.

Avatar image for emperormeister734
    Emperormeister734

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

It be cool to see Spawn on the big screen , especially as Jamie Foxx

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#43  Edited By DanialCarroll

I've only read one Spawn comic in my life, so it's not really going to bother me if they do or don't. I'll watch it if they do, but I'm not eagerly awaiting.

Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By They Killed Cap!

I would love to see a good quality spawn movie

mcbean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mcbean

If they do another one cool but I'll wait to watch it on Netflix.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#46  Edited By Pokeysteve

Just started reading Spawn a couple weeks ago. MJW is going to be hard to follow.

Does anyone else just NOT like Jamie Foxx? At all?

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#47  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@tomlikesfries said:

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

NO!

But he's not.

travmadison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By travmadison

@Spawn92: I wouldn't go bringing up either of those movies, Daredevil was awful UNLESS you got to see the extended directors cut, it made the movie sooo much better. Elektra was just awful. But to answer your questions actually Yes, Daredevil was very high up before the movie was made, which is why it got green lit in the first place.

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By DH69

sorry but i really don't care for jamie foxxx, there are alot of actors i'd pick b4 him

Batmandemon23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Batmandemon23

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Never mind the film, I want to read some damn Spawn comics. Yea Comixology, I'm talking to you.

THIS.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.