Follow

Silver Surfer

Character » Silver Surfer appears in 2388 issues.

Norrin Radd of Zenn-La is the mighty herald of Galactus, the devourer of worlds. Gifted with the Power Cosmic and a trusty board that's faster than lightspeed, which he can summon at will whenever needed, Norrin Radd travels to distant reaches throughout the universe as the Silver Surfer.

Silver Surfers reaction time and combat speed

• 51 results
    Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mortein

Now, we all know SS can fly from point A to point B much faster then light, but
    How good is his reaction time and combat speed?
    Is it massively  FTL, just FTL, light speed, under light speed, high hypersonic, is it around Spider-mans level, or just peak human level?
    It would be good if you could back up your statements with scans.
    And i would like for this thread to remain here in Battles.

No Caption Provided
    Ferro Vida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Ferro Vida
    @Mortein: Fast enough to effortlessly escape a black hole, move outside of time and space, and travel through time.
    Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Mortein
    @Ferro Vida said:

" @Mortein: Fast enough to effortlessly escape a black hole, move outside of time and space, and travel through time.

"
    I knew about all of this before, His flying speed is massively faster then light, but none of that proves that he has faster reaction time and combat speed then Spider-man. The most impressive feat there is searching thru the planet in matter of seconds, but I think that all he needed to do is to fly few times around the planet and his cosmic awereness would help him locate what he is looking for. 
    Even if some of these scans actually could prove that he has FTL rection time and combat speed, what about 200+ times where he gets tagged by a characters slower then Spider-man?
    Ferro Vida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Ferro Vida
    @Mortein: Like when exactly?
    Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mortein
    @Ferro Vida said:

" @Mortein: Like when exactly? "

Like Thing punched him at least 7-8 times, Hulk punched him at least 7-8 times, Namor punched him 2-3 times... ect.
    Ferro Vida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ferro Vida
    @Mortein: The only times I've seen him hit like that is when he couldn't be bothered to avoid the hit, was trying to avoid violence, was preoccupied by something else, or was not expecting an attack.
    Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mortein
    @Ferro Vida said:
    " @Mortein: The only times I've seen him hit like that is when he couldn't be bothered to avoid the hit, was trying to avoid violence, was preoccupied by something else, or was not expecting an attack. "
    Ok, I am not home so I don't have scans, we shall continue this when I put scans
    FinalStar86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FinalStar86

His reaction speed isn't up to par with other characters

Avatar image for czarny_samael666
    czarny_samael666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By czarny_samael666

No Caption Provided
    morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @Mortein said:

" I knew about all of this before, His flying speed is massively faster then light, but none of that proves that he has faster reaction time and combat speed then Spider-man. The most impressive feat there is searching thru the planet in matter of seconds, but I think that all he needed to do is to fly few times around the planet and his cosmic awereness would help him locate what he is looking for.  "

Why do you assume he used his cosmic awareness to do it? Had he done so, he wouldn't require to search the planet to begin with. His cosmic awareness would have pin-pointed Namor (since Namor was he who he was searching for) to begin with. And you most certainly cannot search a planet by flying in a straight line.   

Even if some of these scans actually could prove that he has FTL rection time and combat speed, what about 200+ times where he gets tagged by a characters slower then Spider-man?  

I can easily show you 200+ times that Spider-man has been hit by people far slower than himself. By your train of thought, I guess that means he isn't really a bullet-dodger.

Characters don't use their abilities at their fullest all the time, especially in battles. The Surfer in particular, elects not to, 95% of the time. Simply because he doesn't use his speed in combat in order to blitz people, does not mean he has not reacted, and thought, in nanoseconds, and microseconds before. A scan where he is able to distinguish the passing of a nanosecond, and break free of his bonds before said nanosecond passes has already been posted. Here is him analysing a situation in a microsecond, and acting faster than that afterwards. Had his reflexes been peak human, or Spider-man level, I honestly doubt he would be capable of it.

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

There is really nothing I can say that Morpheus hasn't covered. I do know there really aren't to many impressive scans concerning the Surfer's fighting abilities, because he really isn't much of a fighter (not hand to hand anyway). Most of his enemies are on par with him and I always like to assume the battle is taking place at much higher speeds then shown, such as the Surfer vs Thanos.  

No Caption Provided

This is a good example though. He was able to tag Nova (the human rocket) several times before he was able to do anything. This is before Worldmind could even notify him. I'm pretty sure he had the entire Nova Force at the time as well. When written correctly, the Silver Surfer is not to be messed with. But 90% of the time he is not willing to fight or is being used as a plot device. 
    morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @jloneblackheart said:

" There is really nothing I can say that Morpheus hasn't covered. I do know there really aren't to many impressive scans concerning the Surfer's fighting abilities, because he really isn't much of a fighter (not hand to hand anyway). Most of his enemies are on par with him and I always like to assume the battle is taking place at much higher speeds then shown, such as the Surfer vs Thanos.  

No Caption Provided
    This is a good example though. He was able to tag Nova (the human rocket) several times before he was able to do anything. This is before Worldmind could even notify him. I'm pretty sure he had the entire Nova Force at the time as well. When written correctly, the Silver Surfer is not to be messed with. But 90% of the time he is not willing to fight or is being used as a plot device.  "
    Let me make this more impressive.

Endng of Nova # 13, the Surfer flies towards Nova, and grabs him by the neck.

No Caption Provided
    First page of Nova # 14, the Surfer throws Nova around.

No Caption Provided

Second page of Nova # 14 is the one you posted. The Surfer flew towards Nova, grabbed him, attacked him again, and Nova initially thought he was hit by an energy beam by Galactus. And you are correct about Nova having the full Nova Force at the time.

Another example is him effortlessly outmaneuvering incoming asteroids, in Cosmic Powers Unlimited # 5. Quasar comments on how much better the Surfer is in that aspect.

And in case anyone thinks Quasar actually caught up with him. 

No Caption Provided

But 90% of the time he is not willing to fight or is being used as a plot device.

This.
    Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mortein

@Ferro Vida

said:

I could put 100+ more scans like these, obviously even if he has FTL combat speed, he does not use that speed.

Hulk
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Namor
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Thing

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @Mortein:  LMFAO. You never read anything from what you just posted. There are so many flaws in there, I don't know where to begin. Let's take the most important parts.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

The Surfer wasn't even trying to fight the Hulk. He was trying to reason with him. At a certain point, he deliberately allowed himself to get hit because he knew he would, by no means get hurt, and he wanted to examine the Hulk's energy signature. Also, you forgot to post the parts where the Surfer dodges the Hulk without real effort. 

No Caption Provided

In the same issue he dodges the Hulk with speed "equal to that of space winds". You didn't post that either.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

This was a hallucination, not a real fight. 

No Caption Provided

Zombie-verse, and not canon to Earth 616. Surprise, surprise. 

The punch was staged. The Surfer and the Thing intended it to appear that they were fighting.   

Mindless Surfer who had transformed into a living bomb after absorbing an entire sun. He didn't even try to dodge, nor did he have the faculties to think so.

No Caption Provided

Earth 1610, and non canon to 616.  

No Caption Provided

Earth 1610 again.

No Caption Provided

Heroes Reborn.

A flashback? Really? 

Depowered Surfer from Iron Man's volume 3 who wasn't even fighting back.

Now let's see - there are about 10 legitimate scans where the Thing (mostly), and Hulk hit him. They fall under this category:

I can easily show you 200+ times that Spider-man has been hit by people far slower than himself. By your train of thought, I guess that means he isn't really a bullet-dodger.

I advise that you read the issues where the scans you post originate from, next time around. Is there a "Surfer disrespect" thread, by the way? That would be an hilarious twist.
    Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mortein
    @Morpheus_ said:

I know there are flaws, i was just using everything about hulk, namor and thing vs SS I could find. Feel free to correct everything I put here.
    And I do respect SS, just don't think he has very good combat speed. 
    So as you said there are 10 legitimate scans there.
    lets go on with scans
    Spiderman

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator

obviously even if he has FTL combat speed, he does not use that speed.

And here you got your answer. The Surfer has never been a good fighter. He is also confident enough to believe characters he perceives to be beneath him are not worth an effort to hurt, or dodge. Blitzing and throwing 50 punches in a second isn't something he wishes to do. Can he react at great speeds? Yes. Does he use that reaction timing? 95% of the time, he does not. In battle threads, characters are allowed to use their abilities at optimal capacity without plot devices entering the way.

I could put 100+ more scans like these

I honestly hope you have read the issues they originate from, though.
    Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mortein
    @Morpheus_ said:
    "
    I honestly hope you have read the issues they originate from, though. "
    More then half of them I have.
    morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @Mortein said:
    " I know there are flaws, i was just using everything about hulk, namor and thing vs SS I could find. "
    This is what I don't understand, though. Characters that possess super-speed get hit all the time. Fairly recently, Superman got slapped by an average woman. No more, no less. Yet he can fly around the world in half a second. That is not proof of low reaction speed. That is the writer making things interesting, and illustrating his point clearly. The Surfer is already very powerful as it is, turning him into the Flash in terms of average reaction timing would kill his stories entirely. Then you'd have a guy who can destroy planets, transmute them, absorb unlimited energy from any source, and manipulate it, match the Hulk in sheer strength, fly through black holes, supernovas, and suns, as well as read minds and destroy them, on top of being able to dodge everything, anyone would ever throw at him.

There are many examples of the Surfer getting hit by opponents of average, or low reaction timing. Take the Hulk, for example. And yet the Hulk has consistently been unable to hit Spider-man whenever they encounter one another. Why? Because Spider-man would die after a couple of punches. Same as Surfer vs Hulk. The Surfer's superiority is evident. Having him curbstomp the Hulk without getting hit once would be thoroughly uninteresting. Fights tend to bring balance without diminishing the abilities of either combatant.
    Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mortein
    @Morpheus_ said:

" @Mortein said:

" I know there are flaws, i was just using everything about hulk, namor and thing vs SS I could find. "

This is what I don't understand, though. Characters that possess super-speed get hit all the time. Fairly recently, Superman got slapped by an average woman. No more, no less. Yet he can fly around the world in half a second. That is not proof of low reaction speed. That is the writer making things interesting, and illustrating his point clearly. The Surfer is already very powerful as it is, turning him into the Flash in terms of average reaction timing would kill his stories entirely. Then you'd have a guy who can destroy planets, transmute them, absorb unlimited energy from any source, and manipulate it, match the Hulk in sheer strength, fly through black holes, supernovas, and suns, as well as read minds and destroy them, on top of being able to dodge everything, anyone would ever throw at him.

There are many examples of the Surfer getting hit by opponents of average, or low reaction timing. Take the Hulk, for example. And yet the Hulk has consistently been unable to hit Spider-man whenever they encounter one another. Why? Because Spider-man would die after a couple of punches. Same as Surfer vs Hulk. The Surfer's superiority is evident. Having him curbstomp the Hulk without getting hit once would be thoroughly uninteresting. Fights tend to bring balance without diminishing the abilities of either combatant. "
     Well then why do they create overpowered characters?
    So the conclusion is that SS has combat speed similar to flash,but in 90% cases he doesn't use it?
    So lets assume we have character A who once lifted million tons, then 50 times after that he struggled with 10 T. Would we treat him as Class 10, or as Class 100+?
    morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @Mortein said:
    " @Morpheus_ said:

I know there are flaws, i was just using everything about hulk, namor and thing vs SS I could find. Feel free to correct everything I put here.
    So as you said there are 10 legitimate scans there.
    lets go on with scans
    Spiderman

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    "
    The first scan is not the Surfer. It's a replica created by Puppet master.

Second set is legit, third where the Surfer fights Ben Reilly is from a Marvel Team-up issue which I don't think is canon compared to the chronology between both characters at the time.

Last set is from Silver Surfer volume 1, which is also legit.
    morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @Mortein said:

" Well then why do they create overpowered characters?? "

That is a question for the writers, and creators of the characters. A character can be very powerful yet still compelling. Superman, Surfer, Flash, Thor, or even far higher powers than them, like Lucifer Morningstar, the Endless, or the Spectre can be extremely interesting despite being nigh-omnipotent.

So the conclusion is that SS has combat speed similar to flash,but in 90% cases he doesn't use it? So lets assume we have character A who once lifted million tons, then 50 times after that he struggled with 10 T. Would we treat him as Class 10, or as Class 100+

It depends. Spider-man has effortlessly lifted over 50 tons, thrown around jeeps with one hand, and escaped under debris that would surpass his alleged strength class, and yet he is classified as a class 10 character, all the while he is unable to KO regular martial artists with one hit (Captain America, Daredevil, Iron Fist, Daken, and others), as his strength class would dictate. Even his tendency to hold back does not cut it, at times. You see where I'm getting with this. A character's ability to pull off a feat at a certain time, and his inability to do the same, or lesser at others, is not as great a contradiction as one would think.  It's entirely up to the writer.
    Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mortein

Idk, I just think that if character in over 90% cases doesn't have FTL combat speed, then we should treat him so.

Here you go some more scans to comment

Super-skrull

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Abomination
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Rhino
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @Mortein:Sure, if you like. First set of scans is legit. The one in the middle is the Surfer not caring about getting hit from the Super Skrull. He one-shotted him before and after that incident. He obviously won in the first set of scans, as well.

Against Abomination, he was severely weakened.

Against Rhino, he was hardly trying to fight. He went on and on about how the Rhino could not hope to hurt him, or defeat him. When he got serious, he restrained him with one hand.

He wasn't fighting Skaar in the first two scans. He was trying to talk him out of it. When he decided to fight, he beat Skaar in one page. Later, he repaired the entire planet, and that weakened him enough for Skaar to implant the obedience disk from the third scan. Fourth scan, his powers are supressed by the obedience disk.

Last scan against Dracula is legit, but there isn't much to comment to begin with. The Surfer realised he was played into hunting Dracula and ceased his efforts.

We can keep this up if you wish, but it will be basically me pointing out how much the Surfer's nature comes into his reactions whenever he faces someone. Also, if you have made up your mind, why create the thread? I gave you my views. He can react at incredible speeds, yet he doesn't use that speed, 95% of the time. In battle threads, characters are allowed to use the full power at their disposal regardless of regular self-imposed limitations. I can find 100 scans where the Flash gets hit, too. They would be largely meaningless.
    Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mortein

So the battle thread rule is that we always use just highest feats while completely ignoring low feats even if they outnumber high feats 50:1?
    Wouldn't that be unfair toward characters with less appearances since obviously they would have less high feats, but they also have less low feats.
    You've said few times that he gets hit because he doesn't want to fight. Well that is no reason for not dodging punches
    Also, Marvel and DC comic book characters have lot of writers.
    Lets assume we have character A.
    One writer makes him slow and weak, but durable.
    second writer makes him faster, weak, and less durable.
    Third writer makes him slow and less durable, but stronger.
     Now, what some people here on CV do, is that they take only high feats from each writer, and create some fanboy
    version of character, faster, stronger and more durable.

And to continue with scans :

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a830f8074f3a
    deactivated-5a830f8074f3a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

who's faster ,SS OR FLASH?
    Night Thrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By Night Thrasher
    @ka385385: probably flash on earth. Optimal traveling speed I would say Surfer.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a830f8074f3a
    deactivated-5a830f8074f3a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Night Thrasher:
    can silver surfer do time travle or travel in diferent universe ? 
    Night Thrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Night Thrasher
    @ka385385: he's done time travel, and traveled through wormholes to other universes. But he can't in earth's atmosphere (because to do do would destroy Earth).
    CharlieJade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CharlieJade
    @Mortein said:

"  

@Ferro Vida

said:

I could put 100+ more scans like these, obviously even if he has FTL combat speed, he does not use that speed.

"
    TWO things to consider

First thing to consider. The Surfer is a physical powerhouse, he is unbreakable, he isn't like Flash or Batman, if someone went up at put a 45 pistol to his face and pulled the trigger. Chances are Surfer wouldn't even feel it that much,  its just the same reason that Superman and the Beta Ray doesn't duck...they can take the pain easy...so does Surfer
    he survives bombs, nukes and flying through stars. Galactus gave him silver skin that made him invincible 
    so why would he be bothered dodging everything the Thing or the Hulk throw at him?

Second thing to consider. The Silver Surfer is not really a true hand to hand fighter
     His style of fight is more like the kids who hang out a car and destroy mailboxes with the baseball bat. The Surfer drives by fast,  blasts his enemy once, if that doesn't kill them he loops around to blast them a final time or pull off some cosmic awareness tricks
     Norrin was not a trained fighter, he doesn't kick, wrestle and duck like boxers or ninjas do to take down a guy. The Silver Surfer is like an F22 Raptor, or he's like a soldier dude sitting on top of a Humvee with Heavy Machinegun, if you get SpiderMan or Thing in close to the Vehicle and allow them to wrestle and punch the dude (Surfer) off the Humvee (Surfboard) chances are they can make Surfer look at bit foolish
    but if the vehicle passes by at 90 mph and smacks Spidey while blasting away.
    Spidey, the Thing, Hulk whoever are all dead 

and yes he is FTL, he can do combat at FTL...its just his movement and power set are a little complicated, he zips past very fast, blasts and the game is over 
    he doesn't move like a boxer or get in close to do hand to hand like the Flash or the Batman
    Why is why I compare his movement to an F22 raptor with pilot or a guy on top of a very fast Humvee 

he flies by
    blasts
    before you can blink, 
    job done

Hoboseid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hoboseid

@Mortein said:
    "

lets go on with scans

"

Traditionally he was a peace maker and in character he wasn't a very skilled fighter
    but he does have insane speed

You should post the next scan where he shakes off their attack as if it was nothing
    surrounds them with solidified energy and turns Daredevil and Spiderman into stone statues 

The reason Surfer didn't fly in and speed blitz every enemy he meets is because his character is normally peaceful
    but he can speed blitz when he wants to 
    SPEED
    Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Mortein
    @Hoboseid said:

"  

Traditionally he was a peace maker and in character he wasn't a very skilled fighter
    but he does have insane speed

You should post the next scan where he shakes off their attack as if it was nothing
    surrounds them with solidified energy and turns Daredevil and Spiderman into stone statues 

The reason Surfer didn't fly in and speed blitz every enemy he meets is because his character is normally peaceful
    but he can speed blitz when he wants to 
    SPEED
    "

Well obviously he won against DD and SM, I don't think anyone ever doubted that, but what I doubt is his fighting speed. No feat that I've seen so far puts his fighting speed above Iron man level characters. (when I say fighting speed I mean: reaction time, ability to dodge attacks, punching fast ect)
    He has two statements, first saying how he has microsecond reaction time, and another one saying he has nanosecond reaction time, but no feats that would prove that. ( I personally and currently believe he has ftl reaction time, just saying it is very questionable)
    Being a peacemaker is not an excuse for not dodging punches. When someone like hulk attacks someone with ftl reaction time, that would be like a snail attacking a human.
    Valtot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Valtot

thought it was nano speed like superman
    SilverMan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By SilverMan91

After looking at that scan i came to the conclusion that it is faster than nano-second reaction time, ask if your interested.  Its simple really, is his combat speed capable of FTL speeds? yes and quite easily, Has he shown this ability? Yes.  Dose he use it all that often? no.  Dose it matter why he dosent? no. Dose that take away from the fact that he can use it when ever he wants? no.
    thanobomb1124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#34  Edited By thanobomb1124
    @Morpheus_
    @Mortein said:

" I knew about all of this before, His flying speed is massively faster then light, but none of that proves that he has faster reaction time and combat speed then Spider-man. The most impressive feat there is searching thru the planet in matter of seconds, but I think that all he needed to do is to fly few times around the planet and his cosmic awereness would help him locate what he is looking for.  "

Why do you assume he used his cosmic awareness to do it? Had he done so, he wouldn't require to search the planet to begin with. His cosmic awareness would have pin-pointed Namor (since Namor was he who he was searching for) to begin with. And you most certainly cannot search a planet by flying in a straight line.   

Characters don't use their abilities at their fullest all the time, especially in battles. The Surfer in particular, elects not to, 95% of the time. Simply because he doesn't use his speed in combat in order to blitz people, does not mean he has not reacted, and thought, in nanoseconds, and microseconds before. A scan where he is able to distinguish the passing of a nanosecond, and break free of his bonds before said nanosecond passes has already been posted. Here is him analysing a situation in a microsecond, and acting faster than that afterwards. Had his reflexes been peak human, or Spider-man level, I honestly doubt he would be capable of it.

No Caption Provided
    What issue is that from and where do you rank Silver surfer reaction time?
    Malevolent1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Malevolent1

@Ferro Vida said:

@Mortein: Fast enough to effortlessly escape a black hole, move outside of time and space, and travel through time.

I know this is old, but above sums up fairly well. Some don't make the connection, but above, the scan from Galactus the Devourer 2, where the Surfer fights Red Shift in a black hole? Where gravity is so powerful it bends light? That would be considered a faster than light combat feat. The scans from Communion/Revelation are pretty awesome too. He literally travels outside known space and time to the singularity to reach some clarity. The Infinity Gauntlet "grab", from Infinity Gauntlet 3...Surfer was over a light year away. Before Thanos could even complete a punch against Captain America, he was on him...just a moments time. The Surfer is beyond fast

Avatar image for all_mighty_beyonder
    All_Mighty_Beyonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Malevolent1: there is no feat better than Infinity Gauntlet's grab to describe Surfer's travel speed as well as reaction speed. if you make simple calculation you'll find that Surfer was moving at more than 32 million time the speed of light, and that's without entering hyperspace at all. the circular move of his hand shows also he has FTL speed reflex by far.

Malevolent1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Malevolent1

@All_Mighty_Beyonder said:

@Malevolent1: there is no feat better than Infinity Gauntlet's grab to describe Surfer's travel speed as well as reaction speed. if you make simple calculation you'll find that Surfer was moving at more than 32 million time the speed of light, and that's without entering hyperspace at all. the circular move of his hand shows also he has FTL speed reflex by far.

Indeed, it is one of the best feats to describe Surfer's straight line and reaction speed. Just be advised: on the battle forums, the idea that Surfer is FTL in terms of combat/reaction speed is not a popular one. You will find Flash fans are vehemently opposed to the idea (despite the clear evidence). Even some Surfer fans disagree that the Surfer has FTL combat/reaction speed. Just an FYI.

Malevolent1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Malevolent1

There are a number of incorrect notions on the Vine concerning the Silver Surfer's combat/reaction speed. Typically, he is classified at "nano-second" reaction time. A nano-second is billionth of a second. The distance light travels in a light nano-second is about 12 inches. The Surfer has two reaction feats designated as such. However, they are only the beginning of the Surfer's insane reaction speed.

Clearly, Surfer moves more than twelve inches in this scan
    Clearly, Surfer moves more than twelve inches in this scan
    This is well beyond twelve inches
    This is well beyond twelve inches

The Silver Surfer has always been painted as a very fast character. In the first issue of the Silver Surfer he is seen traveling to almost every capital on earth in seconds
    The Silver Surfer has always been painted as a very fast character. In the first issue of the Silver Surfer he is seen traveling to almost every capital on earth in seconds

Above Galactus enlists the Surfers help to find and save Shalla Bal. The catch? Penetrate two walls of vibranium rigged to explode upon being breached, locate her and fly her out of harms way
    Above Galactus enlists the Surfers help to find and save Shalla Bal. The catch? Penetrate two walls of vibranium rigged to explode upon being breached, locate her and fly her out of harms way
    Above the Surfer bursts through two walls of vibranium, a notch below adamantium in strength
    Above the Surfer bursts through two walls of vibranium, a notch below adamantium in strength
    Above, the Surfer hits the second wall at
    Above, the Surfer hits the second wall at "star spanning" speed

Above, after bursting through two walls of thick vibranium, the above scan makes it clear he has outraced the signal that detonates the building!
    Above, after bursting through two walls of thick vibranium, the above scan makes it clear he has outraced the signal that detonates the building!
    The signal finally causes the detonation, yet the explosion has not yet caught up to them!
    The signal finally causes the detonation, yet the explosion has not yet caught up to them!
    Success! Crazy speed feat that simultaneously showcases the Surfer's terrific durability
    Success! Crazy speed feat that simultaneously showcases the Surfer's terrific durability

The Surfer is highly reactive, even to laser fire, more proof that he is able to react to an object (in this case, laser light) that is moving at least as fast as light.
    The Surfer is highly reactive, even to laser fire, more proof that he is able to react to an object (in this case, laser light) that is moving at least as fast as light.
    Above, the Surfer dodges multiple shots of laser fire from multiple ships simultaneously
    Above, the Surfer dodges multiple shots of laser fire from multiple ships simultaneously

Perhaps one of the more breathtaking speed/reaction feats for the Surfer: Above, with Adam Warlock, over a light year away from his target, Thanos. Surfer's mission? While Thanos is distracted, Surfer is to blitz his opponent and grab the Infinity Gauntlet off Thanos' hands
    Perhaps one of the more breathtaking speed/reaction feats for the Surfer: Above, with Adam Warlock, over a light year away from his target, Thanos. Surfer's mission? While Thanos is distracted, Surfer is to blitz his opponent and grab the Infinity Gauntlet off Thanos' hands

Thanos raises his fist to finish Cap off when Warlock gives the word
    Thanos raises his fist to finish Cap off when Warlock gives the word
    Notice: Thanos does not even get the opportunity to punch Cap before Surfer, although unsuccessful, is on him reaching for the Gauntlet
    Notice: Thanos does not even get the opportunity to punch Cap before Surfer, although unsuccessful, is on him reaching for the Gauntlet

Perhaps one of the Surfer's most impressive reaction feats involves searching all of planet earth for Namor. Dr Strange had just conducted a search of earth through astral projection. Therefore, Surfer conducts a physical search of the entire planet. Some have asserted that the Surfer used his cosmic awareness to locate Namor. This would not make logical sense because Strange already conducted a search in astral form. Additionally, the Surfer would not have to move if he were conducting a search using his cosmic awareness. This is a random search for one person, five billion population at the time, 196, 000, 000 square miles. He would have to have seen the faces of everyone on earth to have been thorough as the scan clearly indicates he was. Some also dismiss the feat because no time frame is specifically stated. However, if someone were to read aloud Dr Strange's comment to Hulk, the comment takes about five seconds. That's upwards of 50, 000, 000 million square miles per second searched. Ridiculously fast reaction feat and obviously a reaction feat far, far beyond the speed of light.
    Perhaps one of the Surfer's most impressive reaction feats involves searching all of planet earth for Namor. Dr Strange had just conducted a search of earth through astral projection. Therefore, Surfer conducts a physical search of the entire planet. Some have asserted that the Surfer used his cosmic awareness to locate Namor. This would not make logical sense because Strange already conducted a search in astral form. Additionally, the Surfer would not have to move if he were conducting a search using his cosmic awareness. This is a random search for one person, five billion population at the time, 196, 000, 000 square miles. He would have to have seen the faces of everyone on earth to have been thorough as the scan clearly indicates he was. Some also dismiss the feat because no time frame is specifically stated. However, if someone were to read aloud Dr Strange's comment to Hulk, the comment takes about five seconds. That's upwards of 50, 000, 000 million square miles per second searched. Ridiculously fast reaction feat and obviously a reaction feat far, far beyond the speed of light.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

With Jack of Hearts in tow, Surfer decides the best way to penetrate the craft's defenses? Blitz at over light speed! Again, clear evidence that the Surfer is able to seek and destroy at FTL speeds.

Here, Surfer fights Red Shift...at the heart of a black hole. This is a little more subtle, but clearly, if one can fight at the heart of a black hole, where even light gets sucked in, then they are capable of reacting at faster than light speeds.
    Here, Surfer fights Red Shift...at the heart of a black hole. This is a little more subtle, but clearly, if one can fight at the heart of a black hole, where even light gets sucked in, then they are capable of reacting at faster than light speeds.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Starhawk is away at three times the speed of light...Surfer is able to track and intercept in only a moment.

In Rune/Silver Surfer, Norrin shows off his ability to evade an opponent at fast than light speeds.
    In Rune/Silver Surfer, Norrin shows off his ability to evade an opponent at fast than light speeds.

Norrin's greatest reaction feats involve his ability to move and think and react while time travelling. Time was, when crossing the light speed barrier meant one was time travelling. The feats above indicate this to no longer be true. And while nano second reaction feats can be quantified by humans, they are still only quantifiable on this side of the time line. When one travels time, they are not travelling points in space. They are travelling points in time. From the standpoint of the character's perception, this becomes...strange. All the normal visual indicators become irrelevant when one time travels, because one is way, way beyond light speed at this point. For example, a bullet will strike it's target often before the sound of the gun reaches the ears of the person being hit. Same principle: all the normal visual cues that go along with traveling faster than light, or in this case, traveling fast enough to control time, are entirely different.

Fantastic Four 156, Surfer through sheer speed causes time to freeze
    Fantastic Four 156, Surfer through sheer speed causes time to freeze
    Mighty Thor 193, Surfer breaks the time travel barrier and...
    Mighty Thor 193, Surfer breaks the time travel barrier and...
    ...dumps Durok off for a time BFR
    ...dumps Durok off for a time BFR

The scans above clearly show the Surfer is able to move and think and react at speeds fast enough to travel time. In Fantastic Four 156, realizing the life of (who he thinks is) Shalla Bal is in grave danger, the Surfer locks the Fantastic Four in a stasis beam and with breathtaking speed, literally freezes time with sheer speed, leaving New York and suddenly appearing on the horizon of Latveria to Dr Doom. In Mighty Thor 193, realizing neither he nor Thor are capable of dealing with Loki's creation Durok, he does the only thing he can: BFR's (battlefield removal) him...in a future time line no less. Incapable of dealing with the temporal buffeting, Durok loses consciousness and the Silver Surfer dumps him off thousands of years in the future. Therefore, as the scans clearly indicate, the Surfer is able to perceive his surroundings at time travelling speed and react during that time frame. Very few can equal The Silver Surfer in combat/reaction speed.

Avatar image for captnmcdeadpool
    captnmcdeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By captnmcdeadpool

The Silver Surfer has fought the Runner, among the fastest characters in all of comics.

Here is the gist of Surfer's fight with the Runner:

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Oddly, in the fight above, the Surfer appears to forget he can amp his own strength. Ironically, the Surfer loses the above fight not because the Runner demonstrated superior combat speed, but he over powered him with his own strength. It is entirely noteworthy, however that the Surfer was surprised by the Runner's presence in the first panel. The Surfer can sense energy signatures from light years away (the Runner's power comes from the power primordial). The Runner surprised him before he is able to react to this fact. Below, from X-Men Unlimited, the Surfer easily evades laser fire:

The Surfer has also tangled with Gladiator, an immensely fast character:

Above, from Fantastic Four 250, Gladiator demonstrates his speed. Below, during a time stop from Fantastic Four 339, Gladiator engages in combat, among other things, during a long protracted time stop. Fantastic Four and company use tech. Gladiator? Hyperspeed.

Below, scans from Surfer and Gladiator's fight:

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Surfer has demonstrated in the past that he is fast enough to travel time, or otherwise move so fast, that time stops.

No Caption Provided

However, if there was ever a question as to whether or not he could engage in combat while moving through time, the scans below effectively eliminate the question. From Rune/Silver Surfer, "Rune" (old Malibu character) steals the time gem, commands time to stop with the idea of making it easier to pilfer the other gems. The Living Tribunal senses the flux in power once the gems are taken from the keepers of the other gems and decides to enlist the help of the Silver Surfer...but the next panel shows he's already on it!

Below, still not realizing time has already been stopped, and while trying to track the time gem thief (through a dimensional vortex) at unbelievable speeds, the Tribunal appears to the Surfer from, quite literally, out of nowhere and explains that time has been stopped and now, enlists his help to track Rune. He also warns him to be on the lookout for Deathurge (Marvel's copy of DC's Black Racer, originally a Flash villain).

The total amount of time elapsed for the feat above? Zero seconds. Incidentally, it stands to reason that any character moving through time, exits our current time line and eventually re-enters the same time stream at some point during the character's story. From the stand point of those left behind at the point in time the time traveller left, no time from their perspective has expired. So for any character moving through time under their own speed, this in and of itself is a reaction feat.

Blitzing Thanos from over a light year away in only a moments time, searching a planet of five billion in only a matter of moments for one person, blitzing starships at over light speed, fighting some of the fastest characters in comics and finally, the Surfer's ability to move through time, repeatedly and with precision point accuracy and, as the scans above clearly indicate, even engaging in combat in one single, frozen time line all indicate the Surfer has insanely fast combat speed and not just insanely fast straight line speed.

0 Seconds < zepto second < atto second < pico second, etc. In terms of combat speed, the Surfer is at least as fast as Wally West.

themadsurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My favorite character is SS and when he's not holding back he has FTL reactionary speed just like many heralds like Stardust.

But I don't think he ever displayed pico or atto-second.

Neo_Prime666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think there's a difference between Bum-Rushing speed blitzing and Super Speed speed blitzing, sure he can fly at someone in space and zap them or Bum-Rush them but he doesn't have Flash, Superman, Wonder Woman, Gladiator, Captain Marvel, Quicksilver level super speed were reaction is involved. Even if he has pico second reaction he can't throw multitude of punches, kicks, or move his body were it is required in a fight against others, which is why hasn't show any feats with super speed ever.

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Erkan12

Nano-second.

No Caption Provided

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Erkan12

Super-speed is just one of his powers. He is not entirely bound to it unlike any speedster, he has already superhuman strength & durability, energy blasts, matter manipulation etc. He is relying on these abilities as well. He is using the super speed when it is necessary.

Silver Surfer #001

No Caption Provided

Micro-second ; Silver Surfer #002

No Caption Provided

Lightning speed ; Silver Surfer #005

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Blinding speed

No Caption Provided

FTL ; Silver Surfer #006

No Caption Provided

Faster than a thousand comets

No Caption Provided

FTL

No Caption Provided

Micro-second ; Silver Surfer #009

No Caption Provided

Faster than you can read these words ; Silver Surfer #010

No Caption Provided

Creates a cosmic field while goes at super-speed ; Silver Surfer #013

No Caption Provided

Humiliates Torch with his agility ; Silver Surfer #015

No Caption Provided

Outraced meteors, dodged deadly bolts of lightnings ;

No Caption Provided

Speed of the winds of space ;

No Caption Provided

Moves with the speed of shrieking space wind

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-652b01b81dedd
    deactivated-652b01b81dedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some of the earlier comments seem to underscore the inability of some to differentiate between PIS, mentioned on this very site's battle forum rules and what a character is clearly capable of. Surfer's top feats indicate he can move through the fourth dimension (that's time) under his own speed. Moving through time entails not only moving from a point in time from now to the distant future (or the distant past) but between the immeasurably small distances between pico seconds, atto seconds, etc....

I compare Surfer's reaction speed to character's like Wave Rider, nu 52 Captain Atom and Wally West.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Above Nano

G-Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread is very helpful for anyone who thinks SS does not have FTL reaction speed.

Avatar image for deactivated-652b01b81dedd
    deactivated-652b01b81dedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When it comes to appraising the Silver Surfer, a creation of Jack Kirby (as embellished by Stan Lee), speed was a main ability of the character. These two innovators really let their imaginations run wild. If you think about the intent behind the creation of a cosmic surfboard for a character to zip around on, a little imagination, as well as a close appraisal of the character's feats, all make it clear that flying in a straight line was not all they had on their minds (notice here).

When Jack Kirby later made the jump to DC comics and created the New Gods mythos, another similar character, the Black Racer, appeared on the scene, also incredibly fast and impossibly maneuverable at those same speeds (note here).

Many writer's, from Stan Lee (notice here) to Ron Marz (and here), believed the Silver Surfer had more than just straight line speed. It seems the purpose of the Surfer's board was not only to allow him to travel at unbelievable speeds in a straight line, but to allow him to maneuver at those same speeds in seemingly impossible ways.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

But in addition to being able to maneuver on his board in agile, mercurial ways writers also appear to indicate he had extraordinary reaction speed or otherwise, the ability to move his limbs at impossible speeds.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

The Surfer can process unbelievable amounts of information in small amounts of time, even minute fractions of a second.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

So it should it come as no surprise that he is portrayed as having high reaction speed.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

In Fantastic Four 51, Reed became obsessed with the cosmic beings he and the world were introduced to in the previous issues, citing being attacked at FTL speeds as one of his main concerns.

No Caption Provided

Later, massively powerful cosmic entities such as the Watcher and Galactus were indicated as those that were simply dimensionally transcendent, able to move from one time line to another as an inherent part of their abilities and not really related to speed.

However, the Surfer continues to be portrayed by numerous writers as being fast and able to react at those same speeds.

One of the feats that gets thrown around from time to time when the topic of Surfer's reaction speed comes up is the "gauntlet grab".

No Caption Provided

What is the "gauntlet grab" say you?

Allow me to explain.

Many moons ago, the Surfer was one of the main featured characters in a Marvel story arc called the "Infinity Gauntlet". The villain Thanos obtains all six infinity stones and essentially achieves omnipotence.

However Adam Warlock, another commonly featured character in these stories, has other ideas.

Adam positions the Silver Surfer over a light year away from Thanos' current position.

No Caption Provided

Unbeknownst to Adam and the Silver Surfer, Mephisto has alerted Thanos to their current position.

No Caption Provided

Adam, evidently waiting for the right time, dispatches the Surfer when Thanos appears to be appropriately distracted by Captain America.

No Caption Provided

With breathtaking speed, the Surfer blitzes Thanos from over a light year away in an attempt to snatch the Infinity Gauntlet, and omnipotence, from Thanos' hand...barely missing his intended mark (and presumably ending the Infinity Gauntlet saga a little early).

No Caption Provided

Some have speculated as to just how fast the Surfer was travelling in a straight line, but ultimately without an exact time frame mentioned, that's all it was. Speculation.

However, some years ago, the writer of Thanos Annual indicates a time frame.

Five seconds.

No Caption Provided

It's certain that the five seconds began to elapse when Adam yelled, "NOW!". Why do I say this?

Keep in mind, Thanos had already taken a few swings at Captain America prior to the one indicated immediately above. The scan above shows Thanos getting ready to throw his fourth punch. Thanos' first punch, Cap ducks and Thanos misses. The second punch fractures Cap's shield. The third punch shatters the shield to pieces and the fourth Thanos never threw before the Surfer was able to take a swipe at the gauntlet. Also, the keen eye will notice in the above scan, Thanos' arm is raised as it was when he was getting ready to throw his fourth blow at Cap, but the artist of Thanos Annual shows Cap still with his shield. At any rate, given the explicit indicators from the original Infinity Gauntlet series, it's clear the above scan is an (imperfect) rendition of Thanos getting ready to throw his last punch at Captain America, given that "NOW!" was not uttered until the first three punches were thrown.

Also, I think any sane person would be hard pressed to say, given the position of Thanos' fist from Captain America, it took more than five seconds for Thanos to throw a punch. Logically then, the countdown from five seconds began when Adam Warlock dispatched the Surfer from over a light year away from Thanos with the word, "NOW!".

So, the big question in the spirit of this thread: how much time elapsed during the swing of the Silver Surfer's arm to take a swipe at the infinity gauntlet or, how quickly did the Silver Surfer swing his arm, in seconds, in his attempt to grab the gauntlet?

If the Surfer was "little over a light year away" from Thanos when he started his blitz, then the Surfer was more than 5.8657 x 10^12 miles away. This means the Surfer was moving at least fast enough to cover 1.1731392 x 10^12 miles per second OR, 6.194174976 x 10^15 feet per second. Now, a generous estimate in terms of what distance was covered right at the end of that light year, the distance covered during the swing of the Silver Surfer's right arm in his attempt to grab the gauntlet, for the sake of critical opposition, would be about 15 feet (it appears to me to be closer to 10 feet but we'll go with the longer distance for the sake of argument).

No Caption Provided

A relationship between the six quadrillion feet covered per second and the 15 feet it took for the Surfer to swing his arm in his attempt to grab the gauntlet reveal that it took the Surfer about .000,000,000,000,002,416,355 seconds to swing his arm in his attempt to grab the gauntlet from Thanos, OR

Just over 2.4 atto seconds.

Does that sound reasonable for the Silver Surfer?

Morpheus and MajinBlackheart's original debunking of the OP's misunderstanding of whether or not the Silver Surfer does indeed have fast reaction speed is clearly indicated in the first few posts of this thread. All characters with immensely fast reaction speed have been tagged by far slower characters, so being tagged by slower characters when a super fast character has a history of demonstrated reaction feats only indicates PIS (plot induced stupidity, that is....writer's frequently ignoring a character's demonstrated power set for the sake of telling a story). Wally West being stabbed by Deathstroke. Superman being tagged by Titus. Hunter Zolomon being tagged....by anyone.

All evidence of PIS.

Also, a quick review of some of the Surfer's reaction feats in this very thread...

No Caption Provided

....the feat of Surfer breaking energy shackles of the fear eater in less than a nano second in Marvel Comics Presents #1....

......covering the entirety of earth in an attempt to find Namor/Rick Jones in only seconds in Silver Surfer Annual #5....

........and the Surfer demonstrating his ability to evade an attack from Deathurge at faster than light speed in the Silver Surfer/Rune comic book

No Caption Provided

....among several others, make it clear reacting in the atto second range is certainly within the wheelhouse of the Silver Surfer's awesome reaction speed.

Additionally, writers across the decades have all demonstrated their agreement that the Silver Surfer's "awesome, indescribable speed" in not reserved for travelling in a straight line, but that he is highly reactive and maneuverable on his board as well as being able to maneuver his limbs at the same speeds.

When the Silver Surfer is sufficiently motivated, he can manifest massively FTL reaction speed.

Avatar image for the_living_tribunal_24
    The_living_tribunal_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.