Follow

Silver Surfer

Character » Silver Surfer appears in 2388 issues.

Norrin Radd of Zenn-La is the mighty herald of Galactus, the devourer of worlds. Gifted with the Power Cosmic and a trusty board that's faster than lightspeed, which he can summon at will whenever needed, Norrin Radd travels to distant reaches throughout the universe as the Silver Surfer.

Silver Surfer Over Rated

Avatar image for darkknight96000
    darkknight96000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By darkknight96000

Is it me or is he over rated, I mean there are many, many, people on this site who think he can beat people like Darkseid, Monarch, Ion, and Ganthet (which he can't by the way). I have nothing against the Surfer by any means, I just think there are far to many Surfer fanatics who think he can beat anyone without even trying.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By King_Saturn
    I didnt know we had that many Silver Surfer extreme fanatics on this site...
    tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By tensor

in some ways yes he is

Deuce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Deuce

i mean not to sound like a fanatic but Silver Surfer is a Herald of Galactus and therfore very powerful, certainly ale to compete with those guys except for Ion because he is basically omnipotent

Avatar image for squiresmadnessmachine
    squiresmadnessmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

silver surfer is the man! he might not be able to beat all those you mentioned but he is very powerful and would give alot of people a run for their money. seriously the surfer is one of the most under rated and under used characters in the marvel universe. you got guys like wolverine and deadpool who have a million different books and the surfer doesnt have one. and everytime they do a surfer book it is epic and always flies off the shelfs. i say less one character multi-books and give silver surfer what he deserves his own title. i would read it and i am sure there are alot of people out there who would to. keep him in space going from planet to planet trying to find his home of zen-la meeting new alien creatures and even throw in some adam warlock team-ups maybe a huge thanos event and you got your self a very good book with alot of possibilities.
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Caligula

Silver Surfer is very over-rated. 

anyone who says he can beat anyone you listed needs to see comic book therapist
    Gothic Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By Gothic Storm

Silver could beat anyone in any known comic book universe! And furthermore... Oh wait, Silver SURFER! I thought we were talking about the Silver Samurai. Yeah, Surfer is overrated...

a bit.

squiresmadnessmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wow really? you all think he is overrated? 
    thats crazy he has basically unlimited powerhonestly who could beat him besides galactus? 
    morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    The Surfer isn't overrated. He is rated pretty highly, because from regular superheroes, he is one of the most powerful from Marvel and DC. People claiming nonsense about him doesn't make him any more overrated than numerous other characters, in the name of which the same thing is done. And coming from someone who has over 9000 posts in the battles forum, there are many characters that are far more overrated than he is, while being significantly weaker than him.

@King Saturn said:

" I didnt know we had that many Silver Surfer extreme fanatics on this site... "

Probably because he doesn't.
    hdorman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By hdorman1
    @Morpheus_ said:
    " The Surfer isn't overrated. He is rated pretty highly, because from regular superheroes, he is one of the most powerful from Marvel and DC. People claiming nonsense about him doesn't make him any more overrated than numerous other characters, in the name of which the same thing is done. And coming from someone who has over 9000 posts in the battles forum, there are many characters that are far more overrated than he is, while being significantly weaker than him.

@King Saturn said:

" I didnt know we had that many Silver Surfer extreme fanatics on this site... "

Probably because he doesn't. "
    common sense at last
    Red_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Red_Blade

I think the real power of Surfer is his versatility 

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cant care about the battle thread views, but ive seen that go both ways really.
    as for being over-rated as a character, no. he's very interesting, classic,
    popular, and is even loved by the GL team over at DC. its long been said
    in fact that if a Marve character could fit in in the DC universe, it would be
    Surfer because his powerset would allow him to role there. personally
    im going to say he's under-rated by the way that he's been in a film introducing 
    him worldwide outside of the comic fanbase, and yet he has no comic to speak of
    currently.

Avatar image for darkknight96000
    darkknight96000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By darkknight96000

Just Kidding, I was bored, sorry to anyone I might have pissed off with this thread, I should have made it clear that I was bored and looking to start some crap just for some laughs, and just to make it clear The Surfer is anything but overrated he is in fact awesome. Anyway this tread has gone on long enough, is there a way I can end it? 

squiresmadnessmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thank you catmanexe! see mine above!
    King_Thor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By King_Thor
    @DarkKnight96000 said:

" Is it me or is he over rated, I mean there are many, many, people on this site who think he can beat people like Darkseid, Monarch, Ion, and Ganthet (which he can't by the way). I have nothing against the Surfer by any means, I just think there are far to many Surfer fanatics who think he can beat anyone without even trying. "

I don't know that Silver Surfer can defeat all the characters mentioned above...but he may be able to beat some.  I mean, as everyone knows (I assume everyone knows....), SS received a serious power up from the big G a few years back in the Annihilation arc.  Now that he is back in the service of Galactus, he does not interact much with the Marvel universe.  However, during the Annihilation arc, Ravenous a being considered the Surfer's equal was dispatched easily after SS's powerup causing Ravenous to ask, "what are you?" to which the Surfer responds, "you have no idea...".  Also of note, SS manipulated the energies of the "Crunch", power source for ancient demi gods Aegis and Tenebrous...against those two, destroying them (and almost himself in the process...) and causing Galactus to exclaim, "inconceivable...".   

More recently, Beta Ray Bill, the equal of Mighty Thor in strength, battle prowess and overall power, was beaten like a small child in his own mini by the Silver Surfer.  Now let's visit that concept for a moment.  Mighty Thor had previously always bested the Surfer when the two met.  The Silver Surfer can still amp his strength to even higher levels, like the Hulk, therefore, effectively making him limitless in strength.  The Silver Surfer, for all intents and purposes, in virtually invulnerable.  The Silver Surfer can fly through a meteor storm, zipping in and out without being touched... effortlessly.  He can see in molecular detail, or see light years ahead of himself (a skill required for one who flies at multiple speeds of light...).  He is a telepath...though not in the same league as someone like Xavier...but he has to exercise effort to not read someone's thoughts.  He can endure without effort extremes in temperature encountered in outer space...the heat of the hottest stars or the cold of absolute zero in the depths of outer space.  He can manipulate matter on a molecular level and transmute elements.  He can cause his physical form to "phase" through solid matter, effectively making himself a ghost.  He can see beings who hide behind the different spectrums of light.  He can detect energy "signatures" from light years away of living beings or inanimate objects.  He can alter his size or the size of other things.  He can absorb unbelievable amounts of energy...of seemingly every kind...including the energy of Oa, which he did during the Green Lantern/SS team-up.  His board responds to his mental commands...responding much like another part of his body.  He can even use it as a projectile for offensive purposes.

When examining the list of Surfer's powers, it's not a matter of what the Surfer can do...but what he can't do.  Which isn't much. 

So, over rated?  I don't know about that.  I suspect he is actually underrated by people who just are either, a) unaware that he is that powerful/versatile in power...or b) who would rather not acknowledge that he is that powerful....or otherwise, are just not familiar with his power set.  No question, Ion, Monarch, Ganthet and Darkseid are the elite of the DC universe in terms of power.  But seriously...considering the Surfer's aforementioned list of powers, it might be more appropriate to ask, "Is it impossible that the Surfer could challenge the four individuals listed above?" 

Hmmm....
    spiderbuck1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By spiderbuck1

I agree.  Taking out  Aegis and Tenebrous is a huge feat.  I also think he's jobbing to guys like Thor and Hulk, who he should beat even before his power up.  

Avatar image for crimsonspider89
    crimsonspider89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By crimsonspider89

Silver Surfer is indeed that strong. He is in the upper division of Marvel heroes. The only characters who stood a chance against him one on one before the power up was the strongest of the strongest. Now after the power up, only the most uber characters stand a chance. How strong he is.  

Hyperlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Hyperlight

I dont think he is overated. Incredibly powerful but level headed and humble. he can beat a lot of people; not everybody and certainly not an abstract

Thor's hammmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Thor's hammmer

he is over rated but not too the extreame as some other charaters like Hulk or storm
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By PowerHerc

I think he's easily right where he should be in terms of power and perception thereof.  He's a top-level all-around powerhouse and top-level in strength, speed , durability, energy manipulation and experience.  He's not always properly used, but that can be said of nearly any character.  He's not under or overrated.

Thor's hammmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Thor's hammmer

not on average he's not but ppl who think he can beat monarch and sodam yat? monarch's a fucking universe breaker!

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#22  Edited By joshmightbe

currently the surfer is very powerful but i agree he has his limits
    XiiX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By XiiX

@tensor said:

in some ways yes he is
    Malevolent1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Malevolent1

@DarkKnight96000 said:

Is it me or is he over rated, I mean there are many, many, people on this site who think he can beat people like Darkseid, Monarch, Ion, and Ganthet (which he can't by the way). I have nothing against the Surfer by any means, I just think there are far to many Surfer fanatics who think he can beat anyone without even trying.

Eh. Wizard Magazine had it right 20 years ago. He is way up there in power. It's easier to list what he can't do than what he can. Long list.

Malevolent1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Malevolent1

Thing is, he is just so damn powerful. He is virtually invulnerable and even when he (or his board) are breached, he can re-generate his board and re-integrate himself. He moves faster than light and from there can choose to enter hyper space (and get there even faster) or he can time travel. He fires bursts of the power cosmic great enough to shatter planets, can create black holes (like he did in Annihilation). He is a fairly powerful telepath, can augment his strength to fight the likes of Thor and the Hulk, can phase through solid matter, can teleport and can rearrange matter on a molecular level. He can even transmute elements.

ThanoStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ThanoStomp

I agree with all that are saying he's not overrated. If SS were to truly get into a "no morals" situation, he would be scary. But like every ultra-powerful hero, he needs a regulator. For SS his regulator is that he has a real pacifist bent to him. The upgrade he got from Galactus pre-Annihilation seemed to have taken some of that, but it surfaced again in subsequent showings.

AgentofChaos1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jobber surfer is overrated

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Seem to be at times

Avatar image for deactivated-625127ebf2404
    deactivated-625127ebf2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SS isn't overrated he can beat Darkseid and Ganthet but not Monarch

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.