Follow

Silver Surfer

Character » Silver Surfer appears in 2386 issues.

Norrin Radd of Zenn-La is the mighty herald of Galactus, the devourer of worlds. Gifted with the Power Cosmic and a trusty board that's faster than lightspeed, which he can summon at will whenever needed, Norrin Radd travels to distant reaches throughout the universe as the Silver Surfer.

silver surfer board

Formian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Formian

Does Silver Surfer board powers him like in the movie FF2?

PACman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By PACman

No. He doesn't need it to do ANYTHING that he normaly does .. like flight. he doesn't need the board to fly. It simply aids him.
    Post Edited:2007-07-12 01:45:49

Satyrquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Satyrquaze

Actually... He does need the board to fly and it responds to his mental commands.

Otherwise, yeah Surfer's powers come from within him.

Valkaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Valkaad

Satyrquaze says:

"Actually... He *does* need the board to fly and it responds to his mental commands. Otherwise, yeah Surfer's powers come from within him."

No he does not need the board to fly. It just keeps him from expending his own energy to fly.

Satyrquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Satyrquaze

Where's that?

I've seen a half dozen times where he's separated from his board by villains who think his power comes from it and he corrects them by saying it's merely his mode of transporation. This was especially memorial when he fought the Runner and directly compared his board to Runner's legs.

Valkaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Valkaad

Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe "Although the Silver Surfer could utilize his vast cosmic power for unaided propulsion, he generally employs his surfboard to fly since it does not require any of his personal energy to operate"

I guess when he fought the runner, he realized that his speed wouldn't help him and he wanted to save his energy for battle rather than flight.

Satyrquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Satyrquaze

I'm just going off having never seen him fly unaided without his board.

but if that's what the OHotMU says then...

Valkaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Valkaad

Yeah, I know what your saying. I guess maybe it would take so much of his energy that it just isn't worth it.

Darth vince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Darth vince

Even though surfer can fly without his board why should he. He looks much cooloer on it and he couldnt be called the silver surfer. lol

Mr. Ubiquitous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mr. Ubiquitous

Well, to be accurate, the SS does use a healthy amount of Sex Wax on his board, thus allowing him a greater degree of resistance to mass and velocity, as well as space debris...fyi

Superkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Superkitty

Darth vince says:

"Even though surfer can fly without his board why should he. He looks much cooloer on it and he couldnt be called the silver surfer. lol"

Yeah he'd just be "Silver"

Hoboseid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hoboseid

@Satyrquaze said:

I'm just going off having never seen him fly unaided without his board.

he can levitate or expell cosmic energies using the solar winds to fly without the board

Jigen879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes Silver Surfer can't fly without board, can he have the power without the board ?

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jigen879: I remember seeing him fly before without his board plus flight is a simple feat in the marvel universe. Why somebody his class with the cosmic powers would be hindered by something like that is just crazy talk.

Jigen879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arthurkerr:

no indeed, but a friend of mine says that it does not fly off the board at the speed of light, this is true?

no table, he still has the power? Because my friend told me that when he was tied to the Earth, this was because the table was tied to the earth, is not it?

But it is still true that many people are overrated, every fan invents feats that do not exist, or he reads things that they no

for example, in infinity crusaide, Silver might die because he had absorbed a small infinitesimal part of the energy of the sun, beyond which he would die

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By arthurkerr

I remember when Doom stole his energy and he floated in space dying and the light of a single star did bring him back to life. From that simple spark he was able to defeat what we found out to be a doombot and regain the rest of his power.

So really it is all up to the writer and is the story no pun to Thor (worthy) or not for the Silver Surfer is one of Marvels greatest adventure heroes and that my friend is what makes him the best of all heroes.

His spirit and his zest to go out and explore to walk into the dark room and see what lay in the deepest darkest most hellish of places. I for one hope when they do a movie they do the surfer justice and not put his powers in a board but in himself. To be a force to be the Silver Surfer. When planets see this figure coming they cringe in fear for a reason.

Alligatian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He is still powerful without his board, the movie just messed him up (completely horrible). In comics he has been shown to fly without using his board but that varies on the writer like Thor, because in some cases he has been stated that he can't fly without his board like here stated by Ego the living planet:

No Caption Provided

Also in that same issue S-S also states it himself:

No Caption Provided

But like I said, it varies from writer to writer but here's a thread that has "some" scans of him flying without his board

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/silver-surfer/4005-2502/forums/silver-surfer-board-19975/

Avatar image for the_living_tribunal_24
    The_living_tribunal_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a simple man, I see silver surfer I click.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.