Follow

Silver Surfer

Character » Silver Surfer appears in 2389 issues.

Norrin Radd of Zenn-La is the mighty herald of Galactus, the devourer of worlds. Gifted with the Power Cosmic and a trusty board that's faster than lightspeed, which he can summon at will whenever needed, Norrin Radd travels to distant reaches throughout the universe as the Silver Surfer.

Doug Jones Talks Silver Surfer & Green Lantern Movie Roles

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    Doug Jones has had some sweet roles.  As you may know, not only did he play the role of the Silver Surfer in Fantastic Four: Rise Of The Silver Surfer but he's also played Abe Sapien in both Hellboy movies.  Pretty much since that last FF movie came out, there's been talk about a solo Silver Surfer movie.  There's also been some rumors about Jones appearing in the Green Lantern movie (possibly as Abin Sur).

In a recent interview with ItsJustMovies.com, Jones addresses both these movies.  In regards to the Silver Surfer, "Your guess is as good as mine."  There hasn't been much talk with Jones despite Fox's recent statement that the movie is still a possibility.  According to Jones, there is still a couple years left on their option for two more movies with him (since he had the typical three picture deal when coming on board FF).  Jones states that he would still love to return to play the character.

What about Green Lantern?  Jones claims that he has heard the rumors (with the rest of us) but no one has contacted him about.  He says that if there is a character that he's right for, he'd love to hear about it. 

Where would you place a Silver Surfer movie on you list of 'dream' comic book movies to see?  What do you think the chances of it happening are?
    Venom-Hulker_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Venom-Hulker_1

I'd Love to see a solo SS movie, he was pretty much the only good thing about FF2

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

Since he's my favorite character, of course I'd want to see a Surfer movie. But I don't think they could get it right. I think it would be really watered down. He was cool in the FF movie, but they allowed him to be his true character since you had the Torch and the Thing to add the laughs, but a Surfer movie would have to be dark and grim, almost emotionless. They obviously won't make something like that. 

On the other hand, even if the movie is crappy it might spawn a ongoing title, which I would love. I recently did a poll though, and the Surfer isn't too popular. I don't know if they would make it in the first place.

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By PrinceIMC

No mention of him playing the fawn in Pan's Labyrinth. That was a great movie too.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By goldenkey

SS was the best the thing about FF.  I liked the Siluette of Galactus.  I thought it was a bit of a teaser and would be used in the SS movie, but it never followed FF.  FF 2 was successful enough to launch a SS movie, but I think they're afraid of the whole cosmic idea.  Sci-Fi movies are still hit or miss.  Hit hard or completely bomb, and even thou SS is a comic character the movie would still have more a Sci-Fi feel.  They should use Doug Jones again too.  The guy was brought in because he's known as a physical actor.  He specializes in body movement.  They wanted him to pose as SS.  He won some supporting actor awards as Pan in Pans Laberinth, and he's great as Abe. Not a lot of actors are known for their physical portrails.  Mostly comedians are.  Rowan Atkins, Peter Sellers mimes, etc. 
    Riezner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Riezner

My friend went to college with this guy and still keeps in touch with him, which I think's pretty cool. He does great work. I was bummed to hear that he recorded all the voice work for the Silver Surfer, and then last minute they dropped his voice in favor of Lawrence Fishburn. Lame.

Avatar image for emerald_warrior
    Emerald Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Emerald Warrior

lol anything makes "the news" nowadays

Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Moomin123

He'd be good as Abin Sur. I wonder who could be Amon Sur (if he appears).
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @Riezner: I heard about that too.  That must've sucked for him.
    Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Bruce Vain

It's funny that the rumor of him playing Abin Sur when that guy did that great fan trailer of GL (Nathan Fillion) used stock footage of Doug's SS for Abin Sur.
    Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Decept-O

@PrinceIMC:  I didn't know he played the fawn characer in Pan's Labyrinth!  That was a great movie, as all the movies from Guillermo Del Toro I've seen have been.  I know a lot of people don't like subtitles, but man that movie just hits you between the eyes.   It wasn't what I was expecting but it was a good type of surprise.

Doug Jones played Abe Sapien so expertly, way beyond how I'd imagined he'd be when translated onto film from the comic.  As Silver Surfer, well, he was so CGI it just felt *blah*, but that wasn't his fault.  That'd be great I could def see him as Abin Sur in the Green Lantern movie (if it ever gets made).  I'd just love to have his lithe frame and build he reminds a bit of Anthony Daniels (C3-PO) from Star Wars.
    Avatar image for anderson__agent_of_smith
    Anderson: Agent of SMITH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Sinestro maybe? Maybe they'd want to get a bigger name.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#12  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I know that Marvel has this huge line of characters that they can make into movies, but I say send in the big guns first (Thor, Cap, Ant-Man, Avengers, Wolverine, X-Men, ect) and then work on the other, more less known characters. As for GL, I hadn't heard that rumor, but he does fit the part (in my mind at lest)

Dark Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13  Edited By Dark Cell

Silver surfer would be cool
    Hellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hellos
    @Venom-Hulker_1 said:
    "I'd Love to see a solo SS movie, he was pretty much the only good thing about FF2 "

This and it would give Fox a chance to fix  their mistakes with the character. :P
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Media_Master

I think Silver Surfer through people off in FF2 so I wouldn't think a movie entirely on him will be made anytime soon.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#16  Edited By jakob187

Doug Jones is the man!!!  I personally don't dig Silver Surfer (unless we're talking about Joe Satriani's Surfing with the Alien album!), but I would totally pay to see Doug Jones as Silver Surfer...and a Galactus that isn't just a giant purple cloud of mist. 

I would pay to see Doug Jones play the rubber poop monster in Dogma!!!

HaloKing343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#17  Edited By HaloKing343

I didn't know that was him in Hellboy. 

You learn something new everyday I suppose.

BIackFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BIackFlash

I think its a No-Go. The launch has been scrubbed. Fox have put a lock down on Surfer, until the fat cats at Fox figure out if they should give it to Disney to animate in one of their fun kids movies or maybe the fat cats at Fox can dig for money and see if they want to try and re-launch the Fan 4 again more Star Trek, Star Gate style >>> Fox remaking movies again and again =  Meh 

Surfer had his shot and Fox blew it

Doug's best chance is to sign with Warner Bros so they can get his face or his voice talent into the Flash or Green Lantern projects

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.