Follow

She-Hulk

Character » She-Hulk appears in 3184 issues.

After being shot by mobsters, Jennifer Walter received a life-saving blood transfusion from her cousin Bruce Banner, aka The Hulk. Due to Banner's irradiated blood, Jennifer gained the ability to transform into the Sensational She-Hulk. She is a recurring member of the Avengers.

What Happens Off-Panel: Why Marvel Should Stop Trying with She-Hulk.

Masked_Up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Masked_Up
    No Caption Provided

What Happens Off-Panel: Why Marvel Should Stop Trying with She-Hulk.

Before I start I should preface this by saying that She-Hulk is actually one of my favorite characters. I find that in comparison to her cousin i've always more enjoyed her personality and the smaller aspects of her character that made her different from him. The problem is because of her cousins popularity she can't elevate passed the level of a supporting cast character.

What I liked about John Byrne's run on She-Hulk was that the stories were so cartoony and over the top that her comics were set apart from all the other mainstream books, but now that lane has been covered by the more popular Deadpool. The question now is where do you go from here? How can she remove herself from the shadow of more popular heroes when whatever she offers is already present in the mainstream?

As you may know, alot of female characters fail to match the relevance of many of Marvel's male superheroes and with that in mind and with them apparently trying to put more of their heroines in the forefront how do make a character more popular when their very creation takes so much from a source material that is already successful? I don't think it's possible. Any way that the character can advance seems to be tied up.

The issue I see here, isn't just sharing aspects of her character with others but also the Marvel Universe itself. The stories are alot more unified then they used to be. Back when I first started reading comics, the supernatural heroes had their own lane, the mutants had their own lane, street level heroes & crime fighters had their own lane and so on an so forth but everything seems to tie-in to Avengers or X-Men and everything outside of it has to try to find relevance outside of that, which is really hard.

What do you think? Do you think there is a ceiling on how far She-Hulk can go? Do you think Marvel should keep trying with her? Do you think Hulk stands in her way or is there another way that Marvel can generate interest for the character? Do you think that Deadpool stands her way in the lane of an over the top 4th wall breaking, comic relief character or is that a lane unto itself that they can share?

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It might have been cool if Jennifer(Human form) was Peter Parker's Patent Attorney while the She-Hulk focus on the hardcore legal court cases. What might be dynamic about Jennifer's relationship with Peter is that her human persona was in so many ways like Betty Brant and Debra Whitman rolled up into one...

Masked_Up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Masked_Up

@darthfury78 said:

It might have been cool if Jennifer(Human form) was Peter Parker's Patent Attorney while the She-Hulk focus on the hardcore legal court cases. What might be dynamic about Jennifer's relationship with Peter is that her human persona was in so many ways like Betty Brant and Debra Whitman rolled up into one...

Don't you think enough characters have close relationships with Spider-Man? I also want to ask do you think that if She-Hulk's comics become more intellectual and the focus is more on her court cases and ability as a lawyer that it will take something away from Daredevil? Regardless of the answer, do you think there is a writer that can pull off a smarter She-Hulk book?

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Spidey_Jackson
    Masked_Up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But that just keeps her as supporting cast. If she's ever going to rise up, her own supporting cast is what needs to be developed.

Masked_Up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tyger said:

@darthfury78 said:

But that just keeps her as supporting cast. If she's ever going to rise up, her own supporting cast is what needs to be developed.

That's kind of my feeling about it.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tyger said:

@darthfury78 said:

Not necessary as Jennifer's human form could easily blend into Peter's social circles while the She-Hulk could sometimes appear as a featured guest to help him out, as well as know that his secret identity. Afterall, Jennifer does appear as a guest in Bruce Banner's world from time to time. Perhaps Peter Parker(not as Spider-Man) could appear in Jennifer's supporting cast with Spider-Man appearing once in awhile as a featured guest. I have yet to see comic series that features Peter Parker as just a supporting cast member without the need for him to appear as Spider-Man which would take the focus away from the main character instead of his normal civilian self. It did work in the pages of Ms. Marvel where he dated Carol Danvers as he didn't interfere with her battles as he didn't need to become Spider-Man. It might work with the She-Hulk as Peter Parker would not need to be Spider-Man ever time he makes an appearance.

Masked_Up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthfury78 said:

Not necessary as Jennifer's human form could easily blend into Peter's social circles while the She-Hulk could sometimes appear as a featured guest to help him out, as well as know that his secret identity. Afterall, Jennifer does appear as a guest in Bruce Banner's world from time to time. Perhaps Peter Parker(not as Spider-Man) could appear in Jennifer's supporting cast with Spider-Man appearing once in awhile as a featured guest. I have yet to see comic series that features Peter Parker as just a supporting cast member without the need for him to appear as Spider-Man which would take the focus away from the main character instead of his normal civilian self. It did work in the pages of Ms. Marvel where he dated Carol Danvers as he didn't interfere with her battles as he didn't need to become Spider-Man. It might work with the She-Hulk as Peter Parker would not need to be Spider-Man ever time he makes an appearance.

That's the thing though, even when Peter is just helping out, he can't be supporting cast because he's Spider-Man. In order for her to piggy back off of his popularity, his presence in her book will have to have some meaning but since he's already more popular than Jen, that could take away from her. Spider-Man dating Carol was cool for a little while but if she's going to be Marvel's #1 female superhero she has to be interesting on her own. Supporting cast characters should be expendable IMO.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By darthfury78

@masked_up said:

@darthfury78 said:

That's the thing though, even when Peter is just helping out, he can't be supporting cast because he's Spider-Man. In order for her to piggy back off of his popularity, his presence in her book will have to have some meaning but since he's already more popular than Jen, that could take away from her. Spider-Man dating Carol was cool for a little while but if she's going to be Marvel's #1 female superhero she has to be interesting on her own. Supporting cast characters should be expendable IMO.

Well, Jennifer's last book wasn't enough to stand on its own. When I mean by Peter Parker as a supporting cast or guest, I was also referring that some of his friends like Betty Brant, as well as some of her rogue galleries could be a part of her own. The best format for this to work would be a Marvel Team-Up series that could be a melting pot where Peter Parker could interact with Jennifer Walters in her human form talking to him on legal issues or on a date in his normal social circle while as Spider-Man he could work with allies and enemies of the Marvel Universe. Sometimes it's good to use other supporting cast from Spider-Man or rogue galleries and apply them to the She-Hulk's world like Stunner and Man-Killer...

When I refer to Peter's relationship with Jennifer, it is more than just mutual attraction. It's about the opportunity to transfer some of Spider-Man underused cast members and his rogue galleries unto her own, like Carnage and Hobgoblin wheeling and dealing with some of Jennifer's worst enemies.

Masked_Up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthfury78 said:

Well, Jennifer's last book wasn't enough to stand on its own.

Exactly which Is why i'm proposing that Marvel stops trying to push her as this big time female hero. I don't think she's going to be able to generate the interest on her own unless they can come up with something new and exciting to add to her character...

When I mean by Peter Parker as a supporting cast or guest, I was also referring that some of his friends like Betty Brant, as well as some of her rogue galleries could be a part of her own. The best format for this to work would be a Marvel Team-Up series that could be a melting pot where Peter Parker could interact with Jennifer Walters in her human form talking to him on legal issues or on a date in his normal social circle while as Spider-Man he could work with allies and enemies of the Marvel Universe. Sometimes it's good to use other supporting cast from Spider-Man or rogue galleries and apply them to the She-Hulk's world like Stunner and Man-Killer...

When I refer to Peter's relationship with Jennifer, it is more than just mutual attraction. It's about the opportunity to transfer some of Spider-Man underused cast members and his rogue galleries unto her own, like Carnage and Hobgoblin wheeling and dealing with some of Jennifer's worst enemies.

Wait so you're proposing that Jen take characters from Spider-Man's books that are underdeveloped into her own book, what's that gonna do for her?

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthfury78 said:

Well, Jennifer's last book wasn't enough to stand on its own.

Exactly which Is why i'm proposing that Marvel stops trying to push her as this big time female hero. I don't think she's going to be able to generate the interest on her own unless they can come up with something new and exciting to add to her character...

@darthfury78 said:

When I mean by Peter Parker as a supporting cast or guest, I was also referring that some of his friends like Betty Brant, as well as some of her rogue galleries could be a part of her own. The best format for this to work would be a Marvel Team-Up series that could be a melting pot where Peter Parker could interact with Jennifer Walters in her human form talking to him on legal issues or on a date in his normal social circle while as Spider-Man he could work with allies and enemies of the Marvel Universe. Sometimes it's good to use other supporting cast from Spider-Man or rogue galleries and apply them to the She-Hulk's world like Stunner and Man-Killer...

Wait so you're proposing that Jen take characters from Spider-Man's books that are underdeveloped into her own book, what's that gonna do for her?

A good writer could turn some of Spider-Man underdeveloped characters and create an enhance personality for each of them for Jen's supporting cast. Afterall, John Jameson was added to Jen's social circle. Imagine if Jennifer was to work alongside Betty Brant as well as take on the Jackal and Stunner?

Masked_Up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Masked_Up

@darthfury78 said:

A good writer could turn some of Spider-Man underdeveloped characters and create an enhance personality for each of them for Jen's supporting cast. Afterall, John Jameson was added to Jen's social circle. Imagine if Jennifer was to work alongside Betty Brant as well as take on the Jackal and Stunner?

True, John Jameson was added to her social circle but that helped HIM.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 137

@masked_up: don't encourage him. He does this ALL the time.

Masked_Up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthfury78 said:

True, John Jameson was added to her social circle but that helped HIM.

It did help John, but left the She-Hulk out in the cold when she asked for an annulment...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.