Follow

Sentry

Character » Sentry appears in 966 issues.

After ingesting an experimental super-soldier formula, the lowly Robert Reynolds became the Sentry, if only in his mind. In constant battle with his dark side known as the Void, the Sentry has been forgotten and dead, he has resurrected and vanished. Even if he is one of earth's greatest heroes, he is also one of the world's greatest dangers.

Not a Superman Clone

scuzz2.0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By scuzz2.0

there is no way that sentry is a supes clone! the are about as opposite as two characters can be! superman is  a boyscout who only ever does the right thing! pretty much the definition of hero! and then you have sentry, who so far is just a scared child with the power of a god! the only similarities between the 2 are strength, speed and flight! sentry also has many other powers like telepathy and some sort of energy manipulation + im sure there are more powers that are yet to be shown! if the only thing that makes a character to you are the powers then yes, you could say that the characters have some similarities but beyond that they are absolutely nothing alike!!!
    anyone agree!

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By AtPhantom

I disagree.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

He's not a clone but he's definitely based on Superman.

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Korg

Nope. He's a Superman clone. They are working to distance him from that image, but they're not doing a very good job. So far all they've managed to do is confuse his character origins, powers, and personality so that every writer that uses him contradicts someone else.

scuzz2.0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By scuzz2.0

would anyone like to tell me why they believe this?

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#6  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    scuzz2.0 said:
    "would anyone like to tell me why they believe this?"
    1.He has the same exact costume scheme
    2.He has an S for his symbol
    3.He gets his strength from the sun...
    4.He has the same base powers
    AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AtPhantom

He has a cape, he doesn't wear a mask, he wears a freaking S. His powers are the same as Superman's He has other powers that Superman doesn't have, but he never ever uses them. Like Superman, he is described as the strongest Superhero on the planet. Sure, their mentality is not the same, but in everything else, he's a clear reference.

Gladiator is a for more obvious clone than Sentry, but Sentry is a clone just as well.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the sun thing too.

Djinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Djinn

i think they are, both are one of the strongest and are people last resort when fighting something big, they have similar powers, but i do think marvel tried to create another superman but had to give him extra so people wont try to make them seem similar, they didnt do a good job

hulkinup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By hulkinup

I agree that they psychologically are different.It's pretty undeniable in my own opinion that they're costumes are similar and they're powers are quite alike.I like Sentry but believe Marvel has done a terrible job with an idea that could've been approached in a different way ultimately getting better results and less haters of the character.

Avatar image for _1elderscrollsfan
    #1ElderScrollsFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vance Astro said:
    "He's not a clone but he's definitely based on Superman."

The_Scourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_Scourge
    #1ElderScrollsFan said:
    "Vance Astro said:

"

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#12  Edited By DMC

he's a flawed version of Superman: psychologically and power wise, or maybe it's just the first one......we shall see

and if you haven't yet you should read the first 9 pages of Dark Avengers #3 
    Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Methos

Link removed as Illigal downloads and linking to illigal downloads aren't welcome here...

first warning DMC, check the rules!

M

Avatar image for marshall_madness
    Marshall Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Marshall Madness

Gonna have to agree with Vance and AtPhantom on this one. He is what you would typically describe as a superman clone. However, I don't think that alone is reason enough to demonize him. It's not like he's the first.

Captain Marvel aka Shazam!
    Miracleman (who was in turn a Capt. Marvel rip-off) ((But Alan Moore's Miracleman reboot IS one of the best comics I have ever read.))
    Supreme
    Mr. Majestic

That's just a few, but I'm sure there are more.

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DMC

Unlike Superman, the Sentry keeps his underwear inside his pants

Will44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Will44

When Superman was created, Siegel and Shuster didn't just create a hero, they did something amazing.  They created an archetype.  As a result, many other comic book creators have copied this archetype, even within DC comics itself.

Captain Marvel
    Sentry
    Plutonian
    Astonishman
    Hyperion

The list could go on and on, but I'm at work.  And yes, Sentry is a copy of the Superman archetype.

I would love to see someone create a new archetype one day

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DMC
    Will44 said:
    "When Superman was created, Siegel and Shuster didn't just create a hero, they did something amazing.  They created an archetype.  As a result, many other comic book creators have copied this archetype, even within DC comics itself.Captain MarvelSentryPlutonianAstonishmanHyperionThe list could go on and on, but I'm at work.  And yes, Sentry is a copy of the Superman archetype.I would love to see someone create a new archetype one day"
    the argument here isn't if he is or isn't a Superman Archetype, that's obvious. Anyone with a cape who can fly almost immediately fits the mold. What Scuzz2.0 is trying to say is that he's differs from Superman in personality and power-set.  (The Void)
    Hadrelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hadrelius
    Vance Astro said:
    As the Superman clones go, he is the least similar.

Except for the S on his belt.
    Clint Barton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Clint Barton
    Alpha said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    As the Superman clones go, he is the least similar. Except for the S on his belt. "
    There is really nothing to respond to.
    Hadrelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hadrelius
    Clint Barton said:
    "Alpha said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    As the Superman clones go, he is the least similar. Except for the S on his belt. "
    There is really nothing to respond to.
    "
    I'm saying he is still a clone but of the ones I know of, he is the least obvious. Especially if he takes off that S.
    Avatar image for radicalcannibal
    RaDicalCannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RaDicalCannibal

Supreme is the superman clone......has all his abilities too, freeze breath, heat ray and all that jazz that sentry does not have........one could argue that Sentry basicaly has the abilities of several marvel characters in one......i dont see the comparison at all......when superman can ressurect people or read people's minds, or wipe everyones mind on a planet  you let me know it seems Sentry was made with a lot of marvel characters in mind rather than supergay , besides the S on his waist i see no arguement.......Superman has some of his abilities.......but then again Sentry has more abilties than superman too boot........DC comics doesn't have a copyright on abilities LOL !. it's more apparent that Doomsday is a Hulk clone more than it is with Sentry and superman

Avatar image for cezar_thescribe
    Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By Cezar_TheScribe
    @RaDicalCannibal said:
    "it's more apparent that Doomsday is a Hulk clone more than it is with Sentry and superman"

What? I think not.

Superman is an alien. Why hasn't anyone brought that one up?

Also, why do people need to argue over one character being a clone of another character?

There are many similarities in other characters.  Agree to disagree.
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By Korg
    @RaDicalCannibal said:
    " it's more apparent that Doomsday is a Hulk clone more than it is with Sentry and superman "
    Quoting this because it actually made me laugh.
    Avatar image for radicalcannibal
    RaDicalCannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RaDicalCannibal
    @Cezar_TheScribe said:
    "
    @RaDicalCannibal said:
    "it's more apparent that Doomsday is a Hulk clone more than it is with Sentry and superman"
    What? I think not. Superman is an alien. Why hasn't anyone brought that one up? Also, why do people need to argue over one character being a clone of another character? There are many similarities in other characters.  Agree to disagree. "

Exactly, superman is an alien, Sentry is not.......arguement solved, sentry isnt a clone......my point was if people wanna call characters clones just because they have similiar abilities i should be able to......some people argued that sentry is a clone because of the S on his waist, well i would argue that doomsday is a clone simply because he's DC's signature brute.....like the Hulk, Doomsday supposedly doesn't stay down......Doomsday may not have been intended to be a Hulk clone at all but since people are claiming people copied each other because of small similiarities, i thought i'd do it too :)..........Sentry is much better than superman though if i do say so myself, but then again im not really into Dc comics heroes

MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By MrDirector786

No Caption Provided

AllNewOverseer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By AllNewOverseer

Sentry=Superman 
    Moon Knight=Batman 

well how about... 

Spider-Man=Blue Beatle (Ted Cord) 
    Luke Cage=Cyborg 
    Ms Marvel=Wonder Woman 
    and Deadpool=Death Stroke

THEY ARE NOT RIP-OFFS OF DC CHARACTERS! None of them. Yes they have similarities, but they are entirly diffrent people. Having basis on a character dose not make them a clone/ripoff of that character. Try to see their dirffrences people, not their similarities! 

(PS Marvel is way better)
    DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DMC
    @Overseer said:
    "Sentry=Superman Moon Knight=Batman  well how about...  Spider-Man=Blue Beatle (Ted Cord) Luke Cage=Cyborg Ms Marvel=Wonder Woman and Deadpool=Death Stroke THEY ARE NOT RIP-OFFS OF DC CHARACTERS! None of them. Yes they have similarities, but they are entirly diffrent people. Having basis on a character dose not make them a clone/ripoff of that character. Try to see their dirffrences people, not their similarities!  (PS Marvel is way better) "

Amen dude I mean does anyone complain about Deapool being a Deathstroke clone? Well maybe they did back in the day.  

I think they key  difference between Superman and the Sentry is that no matter how powerful Superman was or is, he was always in complete control of his powers unlike the Sentry.
    AllCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@overseer said:

Sentry=Superman

Moon Knight=Batman

well how about...

Spider-Man=Blue Beatle (Ted Cord)

Luke Cage=Cyborg

Ms Marvel=Wonder Woman

and Deadpool=Death Stroke

THEY ARE NOT RIP-OFFS OF DC CHARACTERS! None of them. Yes they have similarities, but they are entirly diffrent people. Having basis on a character dose not make them a clone/ripoff of that character. Try to see their dirffrences people, not their similarities!

(PS Marvel is way better)

What the Hell ... Luke Cage is the only character on this list that predates the DC character you've aligned him with... But damn near every super hero (or villain) has some level of super strength. The only other reason anyone would have to compare these two characters is that they're Black... WTF? Super strength isn't even that signification within the parameters of Cyborgs Power Set. He uses intelligence and tech: he very rarely relies on physical strength ... Why not compare Cyborg to DeathLok or someone like that? ... Even Iron Man would have been a much much better comparison.

Kinda convenient for Marvel Fans if we get everyone to ignore all the blatant stealing they've done huh?

Avatar image for sdjkladjasjkjas
    sdjkladjasjkjas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sdjkladjasjkjas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sdjkladjasjkjas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sdjkladjasjkjas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sdjkladjasjkjas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.