Follow

Sentry

Character » Sentry appears in 966 issues.

After ingesting an experimental super-soldier formula, the lowly Robert Reynolds became the Sentry, if only in his mind. In constant battle with his dark side known as the Void, the Sentry has been forgotten and dead, he has resurrected and vanished. Even if he is one of earth's greatest heroes, he is also one of the world's greatest dangers.

If he returns........

davidkenneth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By davidkenneth

..would you like writers to elaborate more on the character's orgins and powers and also why they mucked up other character's history like Rogue's and Reed's just to make him seem better?

Blackreverend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By Blackreverend
    @davidkenneth said:

..would you like writers to elaborate more on the character's orgins and powers and also

why they mucked up other character's history like Rogue's and Reed's just to make him seem better?

Actually I'd love and pay for them to do that! Technically he's a super soldier! And that's what I love about him... he represents every man's potential because the serum is meant to enhance human abilities IMO not necessarily give them.
    I would like to see him use more of his abilities... mental and physical! I also think that elaborating on his origins could reveal the real mastermind behind the concentrated serum. That scientist must have been a genius! Where is he now?

Secondly I was hoping you could fill me in on what I missed... How is the Sentry linked to Reed and Rogue?
    davidkenneth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By davidkenneth
    @Blackreverend
    He was supposedly Reed's best friend and he had some kind of relationship with Rogue hinting that they may have had sex even though they weren't ever seen together.
    Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By sesquipedalophobe

I say they retcon his character, something along the lines of a sinister plot to replace him with a Super Skrull who found the amulet of Muab'dib, yadda yadda.

davidkenneth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By davidkenneth
    @sesquipedalophobe
    I think the same thing.
    SuperXAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By SuperXAsh

I'd like for them to hammer out a good f'n origin, a SET list of abilities, stop the constant "ONOS teh Void!!11" crap, and MAYBE delve more into his pre-Void adventures. What else was forgotten when he erased knowledge of himself from the world? Did this have some negative effects on his enemies?? friends?? Did they suddenly have no idea what had happened to themselves during that time period??? 

If I WERE to bring him back I'd have it done using the Forever Crystal and use said crystal to seperate Sentry from the Void. So we can actually see the character develop.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @davidkenneth said:
    ..would you like writers to elaborate more on the character's orgins and powers and also why they mucked up other character's history like Rogue's and Reed's just to make him seem better?
    Yeah, that's not what happened.
    davidkenneth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By davidkenneth
    @FadeToBlackBolt
    Thanks for commenting but what exactly do you mean?
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @davidkenneth: Their history's weren't messed with to make the Sentry seem better. Whilst the Rogue moment is very unpopular, it made sense, pre-Bendis, the Sentry was shown to only be in his mid-20s. Him sleeping with Rogue was a perfectly valid event, and since he was the greatest hero in the MU, and was immune to her powers, her sleeping with him made sense too. 

His friendship with Reed was there since the beginning, and actually adds a lot to Reed's character. It makes sense as to why he's so distant, his best friend's non-existence left a (no-pun intended) void in his life.
    davidkenneth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By davidkenneth
    @FadeToBlackBolt
    KInda does since for the most part it is most believed that Gambit was Rogue's first therefore saying that "For along time he was the only one I could touch" since it's implying that Sentry is Rogue's first. And to me it makes Ben's best friend relationship with Reed seem like so much less by saying that Sentry was his best friend especially because they knew each other since their college days unless I'm mistaken and it was even before that. At least with a character like Blue Marvel he knew like one other hero but for Sentry to have so many profound experiences with characters who had these relationships with other characters, lessen the value of their relationships.
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @davidkenneth: I understand what you're saying with Rogue, but as I've said before, I think it was done so that just one character would have a fond memory of the Sentry after Bendis so royally destroyed him. 

Reed was Bob's best friend, but Ben was still Reed's  if you know what I mean. It was different kinds of friendships. Ben is family to Reed, Bob was just a great friend.
    Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Green Skin

If they ever do bring him back they need to clarify the heck out of his abilities and his backstory, and never let Bendis anywhere near that character again.   It's not that Sentry was a bad character, it's just that he was handled so incredibly poorly. If they decide to use him again they really need to have a better game plan to keep from muddling up the character again.   I would like to see him again....eventually.  It would be interesting if he came back and for some reason no one remembered him.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Green Skin said:
    If they ever do bring him back they need to clarify the heck out of his abilities and his backstory, and never let Bendis anywhere near that character again.   It's not that Sentry was a bad character, it's just that he was handled so incredibly poorly. If they decide to use him again they really need to have a better game plan to keep from muddling up the character again.   I would like to see him again....eventually.  It would be interesting if he came back and for some reason no one remembered him.
    Not to plug myself, but did you read my Sentry: From the Ashes script? I tried to reconcile much of the issues you just mentioned.
    davidkenneth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By davidkenneth
    @FadeToBlackBolt
    Still I just don't like what writers did to the character and I think that if he were to come back then they should establish a better background and go more indepth into his relationships with other character's so as not to alienate the readers who in some cases already consider the Sentry to be just some fluke.
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @davidkenneth
    http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/fadetoblackbolt/sentry-1-from-the-ashes-script/87-68493/

That's the script I wrote for the character. It's post-Siege, but is more in line with the first Sentry series. I also try to explain his powers, and why the Void exists.
    Avatar image for higher_evolutionary
    higher_evolutionary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

can some one tell me does he really have the power of a million suns cause that makes him technically speaking the most powerful superhero in existence

Wise Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Wise Son
    I would like Carnage to get some revenge.
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @higher_evolutionary said:
    can some one tell me does he really have the power of a million suns cause that makes him technically speaking the most powerful superhero in existence
    He is the most powerful non-reality warper in existence.
    Avatar image for higher_evolutionary
    higher_evolutionary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FadeToBlackBolt said:
    then why does he get hit a lot
    bad writing?
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

then why does he get hit a lot bad writing?
    Yep. Bendis and Pak both had him severely weakened in their respective stories. 

In his original series, when the Void showed up, the Marvel Heroes literally conceded defeat and just said "**** it, we're dead". That's guy like Thor and the Hulk just giving up because they know they're outclassed. In his second series, he took down Terrax with one hand, stopping his axe mid-strike with zero effort. He also overloaded the Absorbing Man, who was able to absorb a Cosmic Cube without fail, by simply powering up slightly; causing the Absorbing Man to vanish.
    Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Green Skin
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Green Skin said:

Not to plug myself, but did you read my Sentry: From the Ashes script? I tried to reconcile much of the issues you just mentioned.
    Found it!  Gonna give it a read.
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Green Skin: Cool, I hope you enjoy it :)
    jaywray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jaywray

I've always liked the sentry, although, id like to see him get put in his place. 
    Sure he's super powerful ect, but I believe he needs to be beaten, before we can see really where he stands in the power rankings. 
    I wana see someone like the silver surfer take him down with a planet shattering blow, and sentry seeing that he isn't the be all and end all, and likely cure his little fear of, 
    "OH NOES MY POWER IS TO STRONG."  
    Then maybe we can see him be a useful character to the marvel universe once more.

labarith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By labarith

They really, REALLY need to undo the whole Rogue thing.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By fodigg

If he returns I hope they make him a full-blown reality-warping villain, like molecule man and proteus.

Avatar image for the_mayhem_theory
    The_Mayhem_Theory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always picture Robert teaming up with Surfer on some missions, so perhaps if and when he returns, he could join the Annihilators. Perhaps then we could finally see him realize his potential and unleash the magnitude of 100 million exploding suns power.
    Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool

I was a fan in the beginning. Then they made him into the cry baby walking PIS machine and they killed him for me.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By PowerHerc

If he comes back I want to see him and Hyperion battle for the right to be Marvel's preeminent Superman pastiche.

Blue Outburst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By Blue Outburst

I think he should come back as a Future Foundation member

LordRequiem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By LordRequiem

I am curious as to why this time it's taking him so long 're-form' as he was shown doing this with ease after molecule man obliterated him. And when in the sun, void stated that would not achieve anything. Hmmm.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.