Follow

Sela Mathers

Character » Sela Mathers appears in 295 issues.

Gifted with powers, Sela strives to help others make the right choices with the help of a book of fairy tales. Later she becomes the focus of the main Grimm Fairy Tales series and taken on a role more similar to a super hero.

Heels Don't Work Like That (once again)

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

Edited By RazzaTazz

Previously in my heavy criticism of the series Irresistible I mentioned how among many of the things that they got wrong (and were offensive about) in the depiction of women was there footwear, depicting shoes that would more than likely cause breaks of sprains. The series is gone (thankfully) but Zenescope artists still seem to be up to their old habits:

No Caption Provided

This is Sela dressed up in armour as a realm knight. It is a decent enough look, though it has the regular drawbacks of female armour (not really protecting much.) In addition to the chain mail which only covers part of her, she has boots with a chain mail heel. I am not sure at all why a woman warrior would want to wear high heels. It would seem that on the battlefield that they wouldn't want something weighing them down or slowing them down. This would be the case here (I have made this point many times before.) The fact that she has an armoured high heel seems a little bit more over the top though than what we regularly see from such depictions. It was just an alternate cover on a series that most people won't read, just I wish that sometime that men would actually bother to figure out realistic female footwear.

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 18

I just picked up this book today.

Anyway, it seems to me that with artists who come from the same school as J. Scott Campbell (whose art I sometimes like) are obsessed with the sexualization of women. Armored high heel boots are apparently "more sexy" than the regular boot in which any sane person would go into battle wearing.

One of the common "sexy" parts of a woman is her legs, and pretty much the longer the better (as long as you remain proportionate I guess). Maybe I'm wrong, but perhaps the angle of the foot in the design of the heel is meant to accentuate the sexiness of a woman's long, smooth legs?

Also as far as capability of movement with the "stripper" heel is extremely difficult even for a woman with the most impressive skill of balance. This is why there is always something nearby for a stripper to grab hold of in a club. Or at least I would assume as much. Women who have worn this style of heel speak of not only how hard it is to walk in them, but also how painful it is. Some will even go as far as to remove the heel during a performance, and only act like they are being sexy just to provide themselves with some relief.

Anyway, for men like J. Scott Campbell to depict realistic female footwear, would take a small miracle, because a six inch heel is more sexy that a one inch, or no heel to them. A foolproof way to get male artists that understand female footwear, would be to not hire artists who do this kind of art.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

That picture is ridiculous. It's like her shin is broken and bent forwards.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@delphic said:

One of the common "sexy" parts of a woman is her legs, and pretty much the longer the better (as long as you remain proportionate I guess). Maybe I'm wrong, but perhaps the angle of the foot in the design of the heel is meant to accentuate the sexiness of a woman's long, smooth legs?

This is true, heels tend to make a more visually pleasing tone on the leg of the wearer.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It's the outcome of a mainly male fan-base.

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 18

@delphic said:

This is true, heels tend to make a more visually pleasing tone on the leg of the wearer.

Except in this case.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for thatonekidwholikescomics
    ThatOneKidWhoLikesComics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

That picture is ridiculous. It's like her shin is broken and bent forwards.

I know, I see that a lot and I really don't like it.

OmegaHans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This was a funny thread. It's cheesecake comics. Try not to overthink it.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omegahans: These aren't cheesecake comics, or have you read any GFT?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.