inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

It is so awesome to see SECRET SIX return to comics. It's even better to see that Gail Simone is writing the book as well. The opening issue really follows Catman has a totally tough and awesome guy you do not want to mess with. After a battle with some guys who claim they are ATF, Catman finds himself waking up in a room with other villains.

Simone sets up this first issue wonderfully. Old readers and new readers alike are introduced to the New 52 version of Catman and we get a real good sense of who this guy is without all the answers to the mystery thrown at our feet. We're then slowly introduced to the team, and once again, it's not just dumped on the reader. We know these character's names and a little bit about their personalities, but that's about it. Simone really reels in the reader for future issues here.

The story of these characters in this room, is pretty dang weird, but I love it. Who's behind all this? What do they want this group to do? What's up with the masks? Why do I love Strix so much even though she doesn't talk and isn't that great with spelling? Simone weaves in mystery and a bit of humor and overall, it feels like SECRET SIX, even though we've just stepped into the shallow end of the pool, and that's what's going to make fans the happiest.

While I do have a lot of problems in the art department (see below), that final page, featuring a character I kind of love, Ventriloquist, is amazing. Ken Lashley and Jason Wright hit a home run here that is full of great detail and something I can never unsee. It's haunting.

The Bad

The biggest problem with this issue is that the art is a bit of a mess. Ken Lashley did the pencils and some of the inking, Drew Geraci did the other "some" of the inking. Jason Wright did the colors. There's not really a time where all three of these elements work in sync though. Either the pencils, inks, or colors aren't up to par at some point, through the entire issue

The first few opening pages look great, but something feels a tad off. Either the inking needs to stand out a bit more or the color palate needs to be more dominant. Frankly, I really like the colors, more than the inking, on these first few pages.

As the issue moves on, inconsistencies in the characters pop-up on the penciling front. During certain scenes, characters develop giant, anime-style eyes, and the inks of Drew Geraci feel completely different than earlier in the issue, when Lashley was inking. It gives his art almost a cartoonish style. It's rough because Lashley is a very talented artist, but I'm having some problems with the art as a whole. The whole second half of the book feels very rushed.

The Verdict

SECRET SIX's story and scripting are some of the best we've seen from Gail Simone. She nails this first issue. Everything from the set-up to the final page moves so smoothly and it really will keep you wanting more. However, it's really hard to overlook all the problems within in the art. The inconsistencies, rushed feeling of those final pages, and trading off of two very different inking styles is a big speed-bump on this issue. This issue is so close to a 4/5, but it's really hard to overlook some of the problematic art. The story and characters have a tremendous amount of potential though and hopefully, the art problems will be ironed out. Even though this book is a 3/5, I highly recommend picking this one up for the story.

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The art was fantastic in this issue! This and Gotham by midnight have me hooked right now. glad to see Gail killing it.

CrystalMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shame the art once again lets Simone down, but the writing is so good that it hardly matters. Simone has been one of the shining lights of the New 52 so far with Batgirl and the all to short Movement, and with both of those over with it's good to see her move on to other awesome works

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#3 inferiorego  Staff

Shame the art once again lets Simone down, but the writing is so good that it hardly matters.

That's exactly how I feel. It felt good to read her writing SECRET SIX again.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4 the_stegman  Moderator

Art has to be REALLY bad for me to ignore an issue. I'm definitely gonna pick this up.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Art has to be REALLY bad for me to ignore an issue. I'm definitely gonna pick this up.

I loved this issue and I feel 3 stars is a little harsh but then again I'm like you in that art needs to be real bad before it bothers me and I don't think this art is bad.

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

I just don't think the art fits what I want in a Secret Six book

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crystalmaster said:

Shame the art once again lets Simone down, but the writing is so good that it hardly matters. Simone has been one of the shining lights of the New 52 so far with Batgirl and the all to short Movement, and with both of those over with it's good to see her move on to other awesome works

The Movement was not very good, and while some people liked Batgirl it was too dark and depressing, also just try and defend her Firestorm. I don't see where your getting "Shining light" from when she really hasn't been contributing much. Hopefully this book will be good though, even though it got a bad score I will still check it out.

NimaMindTricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NimaMindTricks

3/5 stars is a little harsh when the only complaint was nitpicking at inonsistent inking/coloring

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By gmanfromheck

@captainmarvel4ever: A 3 out of 5 isn't a bad score. A lot of people (not just you) think that. It means it was okay. Not really good and not really bad. In the middle. And some people are digging it, some not. Maybe some users that read it will post reviews too so you can get more opinions.

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By DonFelipe

@jonny_anonymous said:

@the_stegman said:

I loved this issue and I feel 3 stars is a little harsh but then again I'm like you in that art needs to be real bad before it bothers me and I don't think this art is bad.

Sometimes the art is great but it just doesn't work for the comic, story, and characters. Based on the preview I'd say it's exactly that although it's never a good idea to judge too quickly and based on a few pages only. So I'm still planning to pick it up.

I just don't think the art fits what I want in a Secret Six book

This.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man: That's why I said I want to check it out for myself, I may absolutely love it.

Avatar image for timelordscience
    TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The art looked good in the preview?

CrystalMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever:

@crystalmaster said:

The Movement was not very good, and while some people liked Batgirl it was too dark and depressing, also just try and defend her Firestorm. I don't see where your getting "Shining light" from when she really hasn't been contributing much. Hopefully this book will be good though, even though it got a bad score I will still check it out.

The Movement was perfectly fine, not great, but it was good. Batgirl was chuck full of emotion and horror, combined with, yes, dark material, that's what made it so good, always seeing how Barbara would pull through the Darkness. She only co-wrote Firestorm, she wasn't the main driving force.

She's a shinning light because she contributed the best female book at the time, and a pretty decent minor series, fan outcry over her being kicked off Batgirl was so strong that DC broke and gave her the book back, that's incredible

kantrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I am excited to see a DC book in my box again. Usually I get my DC pulls and go "eh, you'll get read before I move on to Marvel Stuff" but today...today this little gem will get nestled in the back of my pile with the Image Books and X-Factor. The GOOD stuff I wait to read.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@timelordscience said:

The art looked good in the preview?

That's what I thought too.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@donfelipe: I think the art works perfectly well for the book

No Caption Provided

Vulshock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Vulshock

I thought this was a good issue. I'm a little meh on some of the members but that's probably just because I liked the old team so much. I thought the art was a breath of fresh air compared to the art style on many of DC's other books. I always find it a little concerning when a book has to inkers or artists on a first issue but it's probably because they need to get a six issue story arc out before Convergence.

dkmark96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A book like Secret Six doesn't need stylish line work. Calafiore's art isn't mindblowing but it fits Secret Siz. Lashey's art looked better in Superman: Doomed, they should change the inker.

jorgeareizaga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CATMAN AND SECRET SIX ARE AWESOME!!

THANKS DC !!

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It kind of mirrored the Suicide Squad's formation. I had hoped she would have gone another way. So far I'm not feeling the book.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Very little happen in this book, but the issue was decent.

The art was above bearable. The writing was good.

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

@jonny_anonymous: yeah, it's the same as in the preview although it's nice to see that not all panels have this blue-and-green-ish background coloring. Don't get me wrong I do like this kind of art in general but I'm still not completely sold on it here. However, the Secret Six is my favorite DC group (especially the very first incarnation) so I'm definitely going to check this out!

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a feeling that Secret Six and Deathstroke are going end up being my top of pile comics in the upcoming months.

soumya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By soumya

I liked the issue.I also enjoyed the art.4.5/5 for me

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

ohhh I was excited for this

Avatar image for timelordscience
    TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the art. I think it's personal preference.

As to users saying the "art isn't right for the book", that's subjective as well. Just because it isn't house style (Reis, Lee, Manke, Finch, Fabok), doesn't mean it's bad art or not proper on this book.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

@captainmarvel4ever: I've gotta agree with you about Gail Simone. I think she has potential to write great things (like her original Secret Six) but her work in the New 52 hasn't been very good. Even Batgirl was a pretty big letdown for me considering I know how much she loves Barbara Gordon. For that reason I think a lot of her missteps may have to do with editorial. Especially the tone of Batgirl and everything that was her Firestorm.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@timelordscience: I don't think people are calling for house style when they say the art doesn't fit the book. The original series had a very light-hearted tone and if this book is going to be anything like that one then the gritty looking art doesn't fit.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@syncig: Yeah I'd say she has the same problem as Scott Lobdell, she just hasn't found a series in the New 52 to fit her style of writing. Hopefully this book will be good (I just got back from the store and picked up a copy). I can defiantly say she was not suited for Firestorm (funny thing is her Firestorm series actually would have made for a really good Captain Atom book).

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I caved in and bought this issue along with JL3K. Gonna give it a read in a bit. Was let down to see it was given 3 stars but I'll wait to judge myself.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: I can't get behind comparing Simone to Lobdell. He is my least favorite comic book writer that I've ever read. Still, I think the problem is actually that she hasn't been completely let off the leash. She seems like a funny person and her original Secret Six was pretty fantastic so I think when they let her do what she wants great things happen.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@syncig: Listen I know, Lobdell screwed up a looooot of things, and his Teen Titans run is the worst part about the New 52, but I still have faith that he can find a book that's right for his style. IDK if that's the issue, because I think she also got plenty of freedom with the Movment.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crystalmaster said:

@captainmarvel4ever:

@captainmarvel4ever said:

@crystalmaster said:

The Movement was perfectly fine, not great, but it was good. Batgirl was chuck full of emotion and horror, combined with, yes, dark material, that's what made it so good, always seeing how Barbara would pull through the Darkness. She only co-wrote Firestorm, she wasn't the main driving force.

She's a shinning light because she contributed the best female book at the time, and a pretty decent minor series, fan outcry over her being kicked off Batgirl was so strong that DC broke and gave her the book back, that's incredible

Sorry I'm responding late, for some reason this didn't show up in my message box.

I thought it wasn't very good, and other reviewers felt the same. Batgirl was better but still not that great, it felt to suffocated. She was still on the book and a pert of that awful story (awful for Firestorm, would have made a great Captain Atom series).

Best female book was Wonder Woman, and after that I'd say it was world's Finest and Batwoman (I wasn't a fan of Batwoman, but I recognize it was good).

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@syncig said:

@timelordscience: I don't think people are calling for house style when they say the art doesn't fit the book. The original series had a very light-hearted tone and if this book is going to be anything like that one then the gritty looking art doesn't fit.

What? No it didn't.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SynCig

@jonny_anonymous: "Light-hearted" was admittedly the wrong choice of words but it was quite funny. I haven't read it in a while but I remember it being humorous. Regardless, my point still stands. It's not about wanting a house style. It's about wanting a style that matches the direction of the book. I haven't read the issue so I'm just speaking on what others have said. Not saying this is the right or wrong style for the book. I'm just saying that a house style isn't the go-to when people feel this isn't the right fit.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I agree with the review. The story was great but the art dragged it down a bit.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree completely with the review. Story and writing are interesting. The art is a mess and just all over the place. It's unfortunate and quite honestly a bit troubling considering this is the first issue. There's really no excuse for it. I may pick up the next issue, but I'll be flipping through it looking for improvement before buying.

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@syncig said:

@captainmarvel4ever: I can't get behind comparing Simone to Lobdell. He is my least favorite comic book writer that I've ever read. Still, I think the problem is actually that she hasn't been completely let off the leash. She seems like a funny person and her original Secret Six was pretty fantastic so I think when they let her do what she wants great things happen.

actually i think that is a sound comparison. both are known primarily for their early work(apocalypse/lobdell, ss/simone), are generally better at plotting, suck at dialogue for the most part outside of a few exceptions(lobdell's jason todd, simones bane), and have produced some of the worse aspects of the new 52(titans/lobdell, batgirl/simone). i agree that lobdell had more creative freedom but that goes without saying since as far as plotting goes, lobdell > simone. lobdell's titans is the worst of their combined efforts but his jason todd is also the best of their combined efforts. simones new 52 work is between.

as for this book, i'll give it 5 issues. since these characters are largely defined by her previous work, i'll approach it with an open mind as i honestly don't care for anything she's done prior except for the previous ss(never read it). let's see if she actually has the chops to write a story without over-relying on sermons and forced character/plot bending to suit her head cannon like that overhyped ww run of hers

CrystalMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever:

@crystalmaster said:

@captainmarvel4ever:

@crystalmaster said:

Sorry I'm responding late, for some reason this didn't show up in my message box.

I thought it wasn't very good, and other reviewers felt the same. Batgirl was better but still not that great, it felt to suffocated. She was still on the book and a pert of that awful story (awful for Firestorm, would have made a great Captain Atom series).

Best female book was Wonder Woman, and after that I'd say it was world's Finest and Batwoman (I wasn't a fan of Batwoman, but I recognize it was good).

"to suffocated" no idea what that means, she was a part, yes, but not the driving force

I've stated my feelings on Wonder Women being overrated before, and i don't feel like reopening that impass, World's Finest is a fun book, but i never found it particularly well written, Batwomen was let down my it's long term storyline's jarring wreck at the end.

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eddie Blake is hot as usual, he kicked ass and took some names. However his crew is less then stellar, and he has to support the title by himself.

2/10 no ragdoll

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crystalmaster said:

@captainmarvel4ever:

@crystalmaster said:

@captainmarvel4ever:

@crystalmaster said:

"to suffocated" no idea what that means, she was a part, yes, but not the driving force

I've stated my feelings on Wonder Women being overrated before, and i don't feel like reopening that impass, World's Finest is a fun book, but i never found it particularly well written, Batwomen was let down my it's long term storyline's jarring wreck at the end.

Sorry I meant "too suffocated"

That doesn't change the fact that it was a bad series.

I think your underrating it, like Mr. Elfring said, that book is as close to perfect as you can get.

World's Finest had some "Meh" issues, but it was always well written and a joy to read (not really sure what it's about now that Power Girl and Huntress are off doing who knows what).

Again, didn't read much of Batwoman, but it was a series pretty much everyone said was good through in through, and I can see why.

Once again this wasn't in my message box, I think something is wrong.

CrystalMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crystalmaster said:

@captainmarvel4ever:

@crystalmaster said:

@captainmarvel4ever:

@crystalmaster said:

Sorry I meant "too suffocated"

That doesn't change the fact that it was a bad series.

I think your underrating it, like Mr. Elfring said, that book is as close to perfect as you can get.

World's Finest had some "Meh" issues, but it was always well written and a joy to read (not really sure what it's about now that Power Girl and Huntress are off doing who knows what).

Again, didn't read much of Batwoman, but it was a series pretty much everyone said was good through in through, and I can see why.

Once again this wasn't in my message box, I think something is wrong.

Still don't know what you mean by that

Oh it is, but most of the blame falls on the other writer

Opinion, we disagree i think its an 8.5 out of ten series

Like i said fun, its about the history of earth 2, primarily focusing on Wonder Women as a psudo-mentor for kid Bruce and Clark, still alot of fun, Huntress and Powergirl are off having well written stories with Tomas, Val, and Lois

And everyone agreed on the jarring wreck, i only trade read FYI

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Pretty underwhelmed by this. I believe in the book and I believe in Gail Simone. I'll definitely be back for issue #2.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crystalmaster: The series felt like it had too much going on and was kind of displaced, making the book feel very suffocating. That's why I love this new run of Batgirl, it's so fresh and lively that every issue feels like a breath of fresh air.

I wouldn't say that, it was her story too.

Overall I'd give it a 10/10, as a series it hit every mark. It was one of those series that had the perfect combination of writer, artist, character, and concept., and I enjoyed every second of it.

Also this time I did get this message in my box, so problem solved.

CrystalMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crystalmaster: The series felt like it had too much going on and was kind of displaced, making the book feel very suffocating. That's why I love this new run of Batgirl, it's so fresh and lively that every issue feels like a breath of fresh air.

Overall I'd give it a 10/10, as a series it hit every mark. It was one of those series that had the perfect combination of writer, artist, character, and concept., and I enjoyed every second of it.

Eh, i never had a problem keeping up with it, i enjoyed every moment of it (except issues 17 and 18), i like the new series so far, even if it feels more like the book Stephanie Brown should have

There's a reason her name is listed second,

Opinion, been here said that, 8.5 out of 10 series for me, note that that's discounting my bias against the origin and setting changes.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crystalmaster said:

Eh, i never had a problem keeping up with it, i enjoyed every moment of it (except issues 17 and 18), i like the new series so far, even if it feels more like the book Stephanie Brown should have

Opinion, been here said that, 8.5 out of 10 series for me, note that that's discounting my bias against the origin and setting changes.

The problem wasn't keeping up with it, the problem was that the series didn't feel like it could breath properly.

Actually this new run feels more like Barbara Gordon then ever.

Changes that will be very beneficial in the long run.

CrystalMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crystalmaster said:

The problem wasn't keeping up with it, the problem was that the series didn't feel like it could breath properly.

I never had that problem, the series felt very true to a hectic life, and great character moments really breathed alot of life into the Bat mythos

i have no idea what logic you base that on

Disagree, we've had this argument once, and this debate twice, i'm not digging it up again

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crystalmaster said:

@crystalmaster said:

I never had that problem, the series felt very true to a hectic life, and great character moments really breathed alot of life into the Bat mythos

i have no idea what logic you base that on

Disagree, we've had this argument once, and this debate twice, i'm not digging it up again

That's really the opposite of how I felt.

The logic that Batgirl is finally acting the way she should be. Barbara is finally being herself again and getting back to her roots.

Those changes not only set a solid foundation for Wonder Woman in the future, but they make the DCU so so much richer now.

Lawton1of6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very solid issue. Art felt different at first from the original series but I liked it. I have to agree that the art suffers from either inks, pencils, or colors in spots and looks rushed because of it. However the story is great and left me wanting more. I will be missing the catman/deadshot bromance and lovely Jeanette kicking butt all over the place.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.