Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman
    No Caption Provided
    Just as Scandal's fighting a demon, Catman has to confront some demons of his own to finally get his act together enough to get revenge on the men who kidnapped his son.

The Good

First and foremost, I have to say that this was really badass as far superhero titles go. The way Catman coldly handles both Chesire's peace of mind and the welfare of their child, as as granting the old guy his wish to fly made me feel like I'd just read the print equivalent of a hard-edge, take-no-prisoner's 70s revenge movie. Even with all the badassness going on, I still enjoyed how all of the action stems from the characters, rather than the other way around. How Simone addresses Catman's oscillating physique and his own second-rate adventurer status, how sex is both Chesire's strength and her weakness, how Ragdoll is such a freak that even a strained relationship is precious to him and even how Deadshot is just so blase about all of this. Calafiore pulls double duty on this and his intense, grizzled line work delivers the goods expected of a superhero title while giving it the necessary dark undercurrent befitting this title.

The Bad

I could see what they were trying to do with the colors from the stained glass windowing blanketing the final scene, but it was better in concept than execution. I feel like it would've worked more if most the borders were rendered in the pencils or the inks rather than strictly as an effect. What would've been a cool noirish effect ended up making a lot panels hard to read and confusing, and at a very crucial point.

The Verdict - 4.5/5

Villains United was the stand-out of the Countdown to Infinite Crisis mini's. While I haven't been able to keep up with Secret Six, I was very pleased to see the quality I saw in that original limited series continuing into this title. I wish I'd read the other issues of this story arc, because this was a dynamite conclusion.  I feel like I've missed out on a good one, here. So, of course, I really do recommend this book.
    KRYPTON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By KRYPTON

I have to say, From reading the beginning of Catman's adventure it has been simply amazing. 

Kell1775

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Kell1775

Secret Six is always my favorite title on the list each month.  When Ragdoll said his piece to Deadshot it solidified my opinion that Gail Simone puts the very best depth and well thought emotions into each of the protagonists of this title.
    BOSSTOAD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BOSSTOAD

Secret Six is one of the best books out because the character interaction is just superb. I hope that Gail Simone stay with this book for along time.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Decept-O

This is the one absolute must have title I HAVE to get all the back issues for, regardless if they will be compiled into Trades or not.  Best damn writing ever, I totally dig everything about this title even though I DESPERATELY need to catch up with them all. 
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By FoxxFireArt

There is actually a Catman?? While I've enjoyed the majority of Simone's work I've seen. I can't say this character really appeals to me. These sort of cheap knockoffs of other heroes/villains. 
    I just can't see a guy as tough who has little cat ears on his suit. I don't even like the ears on Catwoman.

I know there is Batman and Manbat, but they are just so drastically different that that Manbat is unique. Not so much the name.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By longbowhunter
    @FoxxFireArt:
    I've always lived by the motto, "There is no bad characters, just bad writers". No more so than in Secret Six is this evident. I've been onboard with the Six since Villians United and like most of you posting on this review, I agree Secret Six is the title I look forward to the most every month. Simone has crafted some very B list characters into layered, complex and frightening mercenaries. Just as Ostrander shaped Deadshot in the pages on Suicide Squad, Gail Simone has turned lowly Thomas Blake into a real fan favorite. Do yourself a favor sir and READ THIS BOOK!!
    Avatar image for mercwithamouth2385
    MercWithaMouth2385

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is one of my favorite reads.... the complex story telling that goes into these issues is epic. Blake is an awesome character.... I think he will have some big things coming in the future, lots of twists and turns. This is only the tip of the iceberg for him. As for those kidnapper's.... their gonna get turned into "Tender Vittles" Catman style!
    Avatar image for the_orange_crush
    the_orange_crush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By the_orange_crush

I've been thinking about picking this title up for a while now. After reading the rave reviews for this issue, I'm sold. Can anyone recommend me a good jumping on point for someone that's totally unfamiliar with this team? Thanks.

harleyquinn12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 21

#9  Edited By harleyquinn12
    @the_orange_crush:
    A good jumping on point would be the Secret Six's third series, issue #19, that's the start of this storyline.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.