Follow

Scott Snyder

Person » Scott Snyder is credited in 922 issues.

Scott Snyder is an American comic writer working for DC Comics and Image Comics. He is known for his work on titles such Batman, American Vampire, Swamp Thing, Superman Unchained, Severed, Wytches, and The Wake.

Interview: Scott Snyder Talks BATMAN: ENDGAME and Strongly Hints at Big Changes Coming

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Have you read BATMAN #39? Endgame is underway and things aren't looking too great for Batman and his Family. The Joker is finished messing around and is taking things to a new level. We've talked to Scott Snyder before and he's hinted at big things coming out of the end of this story. We fished around for some more information. Check out what he had to say.

Warning, there are some minor spoilers for BATMAN #39.

No Caption Provided

COMIC VINE: What was it like for Batman to accept he’d have to go to the Court of Owls for help?

SCOTT SNYDER: I think that’s one of the toughest decisions we’ve had him have to make in the series. For him, they sort of represent this incredible failing because they existed for so long. He refused to believe in them almost out of selfish pride for a while. Then when he finally did believe in them, he didn’t get a chance to take them down the way he wanted to. Even though he keeps them in check and ultimately won that story, to have to revisit them now, as he’s terrified of failing and losing to the Joker, and they represented, at least for a while, one of his bleakest moments, it’s extremely hard. This issue is really about showing how Batman is willing to make these kind of deals with the devil. At this point, he’s willing to sort of do anything it takes to save the city and also to show, on the other hand, all bets are off with the Joker. There’s really no where safe. He can’t hide in the cave. Nobody is safe from his wrath, even beloved characters. There isn’t anywhere in this story things might not go.

No Caption Provided

CV: Is what the Court has been doing since their last encounter beneficial to Batman and Gotham since he’s left them alone?

SS: One of the things that’s interesting is we have an internal sort of story that Mark Doyle, James Tynion IV, and I have about where they’ve been and what they’ve been up to. There’s also the things they’ve been secretly building and the things that Batman knows they’re building. There’s kind of a flowing story there and I’m hoping somebody will maybe pick up on it and use at some point. Whether it’s in DETECTIVE or one of the other books if they want. I’m hoping I get to do it or return to them eventually. This was a way of saying goodbye to them for me in case I don’t get to.

So, yes, they have secret plans and those plans are building and known to us.

CV: What do the kids in the Court of Owl do?

SS: The kids are there to be very creepy. That’s part of their job. It’s to just up the creep-factor. Ultimately, the reason I love having children there is just because it shows the dedication of these people. They don’t just believe in it themselves. They believe in the Court so wholeheartedly that they’re raising the next generation of their family within that culture. It’s so deeply embedded in their belief system and their heritage and what they’re proud of. That is their bloodline, that is their family, beyond their kids and that stuff.

CV: Will there be any personal costs to Batman in this encounter?

SS: In a lot of ways, I think this arc is about burning a lot of stuff down and building new things. There’ll be a tremendous amount of change afterwards. One of the reasons we wanted to show some of the brutality that happens in this issue, without giving it away. Some of the cruelty in this issue is meant to say to the readers, “The stakes are this high.” There really isn’t anything that’s sacred at this point when Joker’s this out of control. None of this is meant to be sensational or any of that. Part of it is interesting. When I was writing Death of the Family, I knew this story was going to develop. I didn’t know the shape of it but I knew it was coming in some way. I feel like a lot of Death of the Family is about holding back for the Joker. For this one, it has to be about release, it has to be about ‘all bets are off.’ There’s nothing you can do to talk him down. There isn’t anywhere he can’t pop up. There isn’t anything he won’t do or anything he won’t do to get you. The guilt, terror, and anger Batman feels has to be paramount here. That’s one way of that happening, not being able to protect some of the people he loves.

CV: What happened to Joker’s face in issue #39 when we first see him?

SS: That was a result of the Batcave's defenses going off in his face.

CV: Will there be any repercussions in Batman seeking help from those outside his Family?

SS: Yeah. I think it’s the first time we’ve ever tried having this massive sort of team up. In terms of the way it’ll play out for the villains and the heroes, it definitely will have repercussions in the stories going forward in June…if anyone survives. The idea is anything that happens in Endgame pays forward. It’s really big.

One of the things I’d really stress for readers is I came up as a short story writer and novelist. I never was a big sequential writer when I was in prose. So I didn’t do a lot of stuff that was like Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, …Chapter 20. I was sort of like, “Here’s the story. It’s finished.” In a lot of ways, I’ve proceeded that way in BATMAN. The stories, even though they interact with each other, in certain ways. they’re pretty stand alone, in a lot of ways for a reader. This story will be stand alone but the repercussions coming out of it will be massive.

There’s no closed book on it. It ends in a way that will leave people like, “What just happened?” And then it picks up, right afterwards with things extremely different and extremely changed. For us, that means, here, having him team up with his villains, we just wanted it completely off the wall with everyone from Batman’s mythology here, all of them fighting the Joker together. All of them could possibly go down or winning, and that will pay forward, the way a lot of things in Endgame will after this.

No Caption Provided

CV: Will Batman (and us readers) get all the answers about Joker at the end of Endgame or will he be left wondering?

SS: Yes. I think you’ll get the answers you want, honestly. I mean, I love the controversy surrounding his origin. I get so many tweets and emails and Facebook messages from people saying, “Please make him immortal” and then other people saying, “Please, I will drop the book if you make him immortal.” The controversy, or I guess the excitement or the enthusiasm and anger on both sides is something that’s really wonderful to see for me and Greg. We know you guys care about the story and the characters. You’ll get the answers to the questions that I think you want at the end and I think everyone will be happy. I’m really very excited about the ending.

CV: Is it safe to say Endgame is going to change Batman's world?

SS: Yeah. I don’t know how to reiterate with people, it will change the entire world of Batman for me and Greg. It will start us in a very very different place with very new storylines and new characters playing big roles in the book. We actually talked about, at one point, calling it ALL-NEW BATMAN in June just because so many things are going to be new about it. For us, it’s really meant to start with a sort of different status quo. I’ve been in Gotham for five years at this point. That’s a lot of time, ya know? When I see how vibrant the books are around me: GOTHAM ACADEMY, GOTHAM BY MIDNIGHT, ARKHAM MANOR, BATGIRL, …I mean, these books are trying new things.

I think, at this point, it would be very easy for me and Greg to just do small mysteries. It’s always this joke, internally at DC, that I’m going to do small mysteries. I think I’ve said to you before, after we do Endgame, we’ll do small mysteries. When I look back, everyone was teasing me, “You said that after Black Mirror. You said that after Court of Owls.” And I have, in interviews. What I realize is, ultimately, one day I will get to those small mysteries. I promise. Even if it’s fan-fiction. What I really love doing, what makes me excited on the book, is to try to do stories that challenges me as a writer. They’re personal and about why I love this character and why Greg loves this character. So as much as I keep saying I’m going to do something small, coming in June, will definitely definitely definitely be, I think will be probably our wildest story yet. It might be our jump-the-shark moment or it might be the best thing that we’ve done. All I will say is, come have fun with us because we are very excited about it.

BATMAN #39, Endgame Part 5, is now on sale!

lmothander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

First!

Great story! Don't make him immortal!

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Please don't ruin Batman for me.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

#3  Edited By StMichalofWilson

I wonder if there will any storylines from Batman: Eternal that will be featured in this new direction for Batman?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I desperately need those small mystery stories.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
    deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I am loving what Scott's been doing with Batman and Joker. Hope he keeps it up.

Avatar image for starscream_vs_you
    Starscream_Vs_You

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do what I'd needed to be done with the Joker.. If that means he is going to be Immortal from now on go for it! That will just make him more terrifying altogether

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

Man, I haven't had any idea what's going on with Joker since New 52 but what is the deal with his removable face?? Is it just something people pass around, I mean... it's a face not a hat!!

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Aaaaaaaaah. I can't wait for the finale. It's gonna be insane.

lamdaddy20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Issue was insane. Like Alfred getting his hand chopped off. I can't wait for the finale, but I really hope he doesn't end up as some immortal dude.

Great story so far though!

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
    BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superior Batman inbound.

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
    GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

He's going to be immortal, don't you remember the story 27 form detective comics? The Batcave and Gotham is always ever changing but there was always one factor that stayed the same, Joker was still around.

Surza7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman has be really awesome,and can't wait to see what Scott has in store for us.I like having new villains,and a new landscape? this book will probably anger alot of people,but just seems like an awesome opportunity to do something different.I have loved all of Snyders writing and with Greg on his team,i'm ready for more!

J_HickmanIsGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

but i really want those Small mysteries. Snyder does em better than most people.

also can he write more titles at DC. why can he be the Bendis of DC and be on like every title. would definitely help out DC move more units month to month

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

They talk about how "everything's going to change" as though anything ever stays the same in comics anymore

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@j_hickmanisgod: He only writes 3 books at a time and he's writing 2 books at Image right now. Also it's not just him, Jeff Lemire and Geoff Johns (who arguably is the Bendis of DC) are also each only writing one book for DC right now.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Snyder says... All I will say is, come have fun with us because we are very excited about it. I've been having fun and I will continue to have fun! I can't wait till issue #40 and what he has for us starting in June!

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Snyder knows how to make all the fan panties wet.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Snyder has grown a lot as a Batman writer since Death of the Family. Zero Year was a slightly disappointing story but it wasn't that bad. But now, with this story he has lifted the bar really high.

Kervan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reading #39 was the most suspense I've ever felt reading a comic book in a long time. It was fantastic! Snyder and Capullo's run is going to go down as one of the most legendary runs of the character. I fear the day when they won't be on the book anymore, so let's enjoy this ride for as long as they are on here. Their run on this book reminds me of what it felt like reading comics back in the 90's when I was a teenager. There weren't these constant creative changes or radical shifts in the tone or quality of a book like there are now in comics. It was just the characters you love in great stories with wonderful looking art in every issue. This book recaptures that feeling for me while telling some of the best Batman stories in recent years.

I'm sooooo glad that it's Snyder making the changes. I couldn't stand all the weird and zany things that Morrison did during his run on Batman and all the changes he made. But I'm 100% on board with any changes Snyder wants to make, as he's proved himself time and time again with Batman.

Avatar image for the_average_bear
    The Average Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The scene with the joker appearing with half his face messed up (which was only really explained by this interview so it seems like Snyder forgot to include it in the issue) really threw off the immersion for me. The art team could've done a really funny scene where the bat cave defense system goes off with joker going "ha!" when he gets blasted in the face off-panel so the big reveal of his injured face could've still been used

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still waiting for someone other than Batman to figure out that Dick is alive and where he's at

grinderkiller1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm getting this issue because...................The Court of Owls are.............creepily awesome

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everything will be undone after the convergence. So what the hell...

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Awesome article as always

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

@superior_prime_maybe said:

What?

I meant I think half the reason DC is letting Snyder go wild is that after the events of Convergence they can undo a lot of things that are happening now. Like Alfred's development.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JakeN7

@jaken7 said:

What?

I meant I think half the reason DC is letting Snyder go wild is that after the events of Convergence they can undo a lot of things that are happening now. Like Alfred's development.

IGN: Cool, thanks for clearing that up. When we get to issue #40, that will be the conclusion to Endgame, and then issue #41 will be after Convergence has concluded. What effect, if any, will Convergence have on Batman?

Snyder: Convergence will have no effect on Batman at all. Everything that happens in June will be our direct result of Endgame.

So Convergence, I'm very excited for it, and I know there's a lot of great pieces to it. I am very thrilled about it excited for you to read it. But if you want to know what happens in Batman, you can just read Batman.

I would never do something where a story was happening outside of the book that I didn't write that took over the series in some way or changed the series.

So for me and Greg, that's always been our mandate. We do crossovers where you can go read other books and things, read little pieces that add to the story but are never crucial to it. The last thing I would do is have an event outside of the book change the status quo on Batman. Really, just Endgame is what changes Batman.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/02/26/the-joker-just-cut-off-redacteds-hand?page=2

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't like what happened to Alfred one bit but I am very excited to see Batman's final assault on the joker, with his family and villains helping him out.

UltronMk7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely incredible issue. Batman is such a compelling read. Certainly the most compelling book on my pull list. What an incredible run Scott is in. This potential jumping the shark moment he speaks of worries me though. I've seen him say it in 3 different interviews now. In Scott I trust, but still a little uneasy.

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
    GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

but i really want those Small mysteries. Snyder does em better than most people.

also can he write more titles at DC. why can he be the Bendis of DC and be on like every title. would definitely help out DC move more units month to month

He said it's very challenging writing two Iconic characters at once since he doesn't want to cross their personalities while doing it which is probably why Superman Unchained took so long to finish, great book by the way.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.