Follow

Scott Snyder

Person » Scott Snyder is credited in 922 issues.

Scott Snyder is an American comic writer working for DC Comics and Image Comics. He is known for his work on titles such Batman, American Vampire, Swamp Thing, Superman Unchained, Severed, Wytches, and The Wake.

Favorite Comic Runs: Scott Snyder's The Black Mirror vs. Death of the Family

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Scott Snyder continues to create a whole new mythos for Batman with Zero Year, but this week, we want to look back at the creative writer's work with the iconic character. In the latest edition of 'Favorite Comic Runs,' we're placing Snyder's brilliant pre-52 story, The Black Mirror, against his gripping story in the New 52, Death of the Family. Will you side with the Joker's plan to tear Bruce Wayne's family apart or will you support the arc that puts Dick Grayson's detective abilities to the test? And yes, this is only taking into account the Death of the Family issues that are written by Snyder!

CLICK HERE TO VOTE!

No Caption Provided

The poll is open until Friday morning (ET). That should give you plenty of time to think this one through and then vote, right? And if you haven't read either story, you now have about four days to rectify that mistake. Or, you can be totally lazy and just vote for the "I haven't read either" option. The choice is yours, but voting for that option is really lame. After you vote, please jump into the comments and get your elaboration on. Give the winning story a good amount of love and there's a chance we'll include it in Friday's article as the "Viner Post of the Week." Getting the post of the week isn't up there with winning a medal or anything like that, but it gives you a little bit of bragging rights!

Last but most definitely not least, give the Comic Viner space4rennt your praise in the comments below. They were the first person to correctly guess this match-up based on last week's teaser image. Well played, space4rennt.

Check the homepage on Friday to see which story won and why. In the meantime, feel free to make future match-up suggestions in the comments below or via Twitter.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
    RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

Sadly, I have yet to read either :(

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#2  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I am totally in the huff >:- (

I fully guessed it right and i did it first but Comic Vine was messing up at the time and it didn't post my post for another few mins :(

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

It's doing it again!! My post is in the forums but it's not on the main page!! :(

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

The Black Mirror for me, easy. I like Death of the Family, but the ending doesn't entirely work for me. Not because no one dies at the end, I appreciate what Snyder was trying to do with the metaphorical death of Bruce's family, but because it isn't properly earned. Everyone at the end of the story is looking for this distance from Bruce because they feel like he betrayed their trust, but he's pulled worse things in the past. The Joker maybe kinda sorta knowing who they are doesn't hit hard enough for me to buy into that reaction from them.

The Black Mirror, however, all worked beautifully. It strikes a perfect balance of old and new by both referencing the past, mostly in the form of James Jr. and creating new, unique villains for Dick while he was Batman, even if his time under the cowl was shortlived. Plus, Jock and Francesco Francavilla's art is incredible on the run. I really love Capullo on the current title, but they beat him out in this case.

kilomac29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Nice dichotomy of choices. The one that arguably made Snyder a star v. his most controversial Batman work.

I loved the Black Mirror. Looking back it was obvious that Snyder knew Batman. He knew Dick Grayson as Batman, (yes DG would smile while wearing the costume) and he knows Bruce Wayne as Batman. (singular focus, giant A-hole) Black Mirror had it all, great action, great art, (Jock, FF) and one of the most compelling stories I've ever read featuring Jim Gordon and James Jr.

Having said that, I picked DotF because it was controversial. I got something I didn't expect, everyone thought a member of the Bat-family would die and Batman would kill the Joker. Neither of those things happened and it made the story that much better. Joker won (in his mind) he succeeded in killing the Bat-family, at least metaphorically, and the best part for me? The Joker is still out there. Watching. Waiting. Plotting. We've seen what he can do with a little time to prepare, (issue #13 was specifically terrifying) so what will he do when he comes back next time? Motivated by what Batman whispered in his ear at the end, what horrors will the Joker have next time? What fresh hell awaits Batman when the Joker returns to Gotham a second time?

kilomac29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By kilomac29

@jonny_anonymous: I think the system is buggy, its doing the same thing to mine. Article preview on the main page still shows zero comments when thats not the case.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Black Mirror, no contest. Death of the Family didn't do much for me.

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
    TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Mirror!!

space4rentt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: It was doing that to me too. I ended up having my comment posted a few times when they actually showed up. You can totally take the credit though; you did have some comments before me. I'm just excited that I actually figured out one of those teasers. :D

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Iron_Turtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Iron_Turtle

Black Mirror by the biggest margin you could possibly imagine.
    I found Death Of The Family to be somewhat disappointing.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By mak13131313

Nice dichotomy of choices. The one that arguably made Snyder a star v. his most controversial Batman work.

I loved the Black Mirror. Looking back it was obvious that Snyder knew Batman. He knew Dick Grayson as Batman, (yes DG would smile while wearing the costume) and he knows Bruce Wayne as Batman. (singular focus, giant A-hole) Black Mirror had it all, great action, great art, (Jock, FF) and one of the most compelling stories I've ever read featuring Jim Gordon and James Jr.

Having said that, I picked DotF because it was controversial. I got something I didn't expect, everyone thought a member of the Bat-family would die and Batman would kill the Joker. Neither of those things happened and it made the story that much better. Joker won (in his mind) he succeeded in killing the Bat-family, at least metaphorically, and the best part for me? The Joker is still out there. Watching. Waiting. Plotting. We've seen what he can do with a little time to prepare, (issue #13 was specifically terrifying) so what will he do when he comes back next time? Motivated by what Batman whispered in his ear at the end, what horrors will the Joker have next time? What fresh hell awaits Batman when the Joker returns to Gotham a second time?

Sums it up perfectly!

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LordoftheNorth

neither they are both just awful

comedy_brosUSA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By comedy_brosUSA

I like The Black Mirror because I think the story is more 'Batman' ish and the vibe of classic Batman is present. Death Of the family was good, but I don't feel it made as big of an impact as I thought.

SlickyMike88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I felt that the Death of the Family was pretentious at the end , it didn't do anything:P It made me drop the tittle as well.

Munsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Munsu

Black Mirror. It was such a solid detective crime story. I felt DotF was really just a lot of buildup and a lackluster ending. There wasn't much substance to it.

Though the main reason I think it is better is that Synder writes a much better James Jr. than he did a Joker in my opinion. He turned James Jr into such a creative and modern villain but his Joker was just sort of one-note. I wasn't all that impressed by it.

Avatar image for thenexusrebound
    thenexusrebound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Scott Snyder to death. I haven't read Black Mirror but I want to. Death of the Family was an extremely dark ride.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
    infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hated the ridiculously overpowered teleporting ninja Joker. I like when the Joker was written as just an evil Clown who'd psychologically mess with people. One of my favorites is Slayride by Paul Dini.

monsterduc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By monsterduc

The Court of Owls over DotF, But Black Mirror for the win :)

ZbvmX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ZbvmX

Black mirror just because of Francavilla interior artwork :D

saucygiraffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By saucygiraffe

Not too fond of Snyder's take on the Joker, but "The Black Mirror" was a great read

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Loved Black Mirror, thought DOTF was pretty bland.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By NightFang3

@kilomac29: From what I remember in an interview after DotF, Snyder said Joker thinks Batman tried to kill him and would come back pissed.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#28 k4tzm4n  Moderator

it's the last day to vote. Please spread the word.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.