Follow

San Diego Comic-Con

Location » San Diego Comic-Con appears in 49 issues.

San Diego Comic Con is the biggest gathering of Comic goodness that happens each year.

Comic Con Relevance

Troilus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Troilus

I think yall should do an article on the different shows and movies and products that get advertised at comic con year after year.  

Every year it seems that the actual comic portion of it gets smaller and segregated.  I can accept new things like comic related shows and movies, and even simply nerd related entertainment, but at some point don't they have to draw a line and say this does not belong here?  

What prompted me to ask this, was saw a press release saying USA network returns to comic con with covert affairs, psych, and burn notice.  How are any of these shows related to a 'comic' con.  To me, a comic convention is to showcase the world of comics and artists and creators, so the fans can personally meet them, not a way for media conglomerates to advertise even more things to us.  It seems that SDCC is becoming synonymous with entertainment expo.   

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @Troilus said:

I think yall should do an article on the different shows and movies and products that get advertised at comic con year after year.  

Every year it seems that the actual comic portion of it gets smaller and segregated.  I can accept new things like comic related shows and movies, and even simply nerd related entertainment, but at some point don't they have to draw a line and say this does not belong here?  

What prompted me to ask this, was saw a press release saying USA network returns to comic con with covert affairs, psych, and burn notice.  How are any of these shows related to a 'comic' con.  To me, a comic convention is to showcase the world of comics and artists and creators, so the fans can personally meet them, not a way for media conglomerates to advertise even more things to us.  It seems that SDCC is becoming synonymous with entertainment expo.   

YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!
    Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Decept-O

@Troilus: While I've not attended a large Con like SDCC that is the one thing I continually read about, a common complaint.

If the movie studios were promoting just comic book live action or animated movies, would that be OK? I would be OK with it if I attended, but shows like "Chuck"....um..yeah. I do hear you.

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Well Burn Notice technically has a comic on the USA's website.. so I guess it can now be considered a comic entity. But seriously I don't understand why people get worked up over SDCC not being all about comics, I mean as long as I can remember its been a hoke poke of different media and entertainment. Also if people are so upset that comic con has non comic stuff why were so many people screaming when the Suicide Girls were apparently denied a booth? Are they comic related?

turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @Nova`Prime` said:
    Well Burn Notice technically has a comic on the USA's website.. so I guess it can now be considered a comic entity. But seriously I don't understand why people get worked up over SDCC not being all about comics, I mean as long as I can remember its been a hoke poke of different media and entertainment. Also if people are so upset that comic con has non comic stuff why were so many people screaming when the Suicide Girls were apparently denied a booth? Are they comic related?
    It has been for most of it's history an Exclusively Comic Book Oriented Event.
    Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Shadow_Thief

I've never been to a Con, and never plan to (large groups of people tend to make me want to projectile vomit molten steel), so my opinion is largely irrelevant, but if I did ever attend an event called "Comic" Con, and discovered that the material pertaining to actual comics was being overshadowed by something else, I'd feel a bit deceived and disappointed.

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

@Troilus said:

Every year it seems that the actual comic portion of it gets smaller and segregated. I can accept new things like comic related shows and movies, and even simply nerd related entertainment, but at some point don't they have to draw a line and say this does not belong here?

What prompted me to ask this, was saw a press release saying USA network returns to comic con with covert affairs, psych, and burn notice. How are any of these shows related to a 'comic' con. To me, a comic convention is to showcase the world of comics and artists and creators, so the fans can personally meet them, not a way for media conglomerates to advertise even more things to us. It seems that SDCC is becoming synonymous with entertainment expo.

Its been subverted big time. At some point they'll need to lock it down like E3, boot people like USA out.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

It's the same here in the UK, the comic shows that have comic in the title rarely have much to do with them at all, just an 'ally' of stalls and writers and artists no one has heard off while the rest of the show has become swamped with tacky boxing memorabilia and naff mugs with 80's TV show characters on, not to mention the washed up wrestlers.  

Troilus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Troilus
    @Nova`Prime` said:

As a fan of them, I'll argue that they probably shouldnt have been there but they do have a big fanbase.  They do have some print media art books so that could work?  I think they remedied the situation by making a Suicide Girls comic book for this year, which i must say i do like.  Brea Grant writing and cameron stewart doing pinups is cool. 
    Troilus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Troilus
    @Decept-O said:

@Troilus: While I've not attended a large Con like SDCC that is the one thing I continually read about, a common complaint.

If the movie studios were promoting just comic book live action or animated movies, would that be OK? I would be OK with it if I attended, but shows like "Chuck"....um..yeah. I do hear you.

Yeah i think live action and animated series, anime and manga and toys and etc for that matter should be there.  I just get peeved at like every television network and movie studio trying to sell their shows there that are unrelated;  I don't like that comic creators and artists are getting overshadowed by the big budget media advertising that goes on there.  Just think it should be more personal with them.  I believe CW is promoting vampire diaries and that new sarah michelle gellar series there too... it just goes too far, yes nerds liked gellar in buffy, yes there is a buffy comic, no that does mean you can parade her at a comic convention for the rest of her life for ordinary projects.  I do like her avidly though.  
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @Omega Ray Jay said:
    It's the same here in the UK, the comic shows that have comic in the title rarely have much to do with them at all, just an 'ally' of stalls and writers and artists no one has heard off while the rest of the show has become swamped with tacky boxing memorabilia and naff mugs with 80's TV show characters on, not to mention the washed up wrestlers.  
    Washed up Wrestlers? Harsh.
    Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Omega Ray Jay
    @turoksonofstone: I say that because a friend of mine wanted an autograph off one at a show and he couldn't have been more obnoxious if he tried, kind of leaves a bad impression.
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @Omega Ray Jay:  
    Hmmm, I believe it. 
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By Nova`Prime`
    @turoksonofstone said:
    @Nova`Prime` said:
    It has been for most of it's history an Exclusively Comic Book Oriented Event.
    Love how the use of bold, italicized, and underlined font along with the capital of each corresponding words, but seriously that doesn't change the fact that now it is more then just comics. The real question is without the big budget studio announcements and what not would there still be a SDCC? Everyone keeps screaming that the comic industry is hurting for money, so you can tell me that the comic industry by itself can support such a massive endeavor? Hell the cost of using the SD Convention Center is probably outrageous and most comic companies probably couldn't afford it.
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @Nova`Prime`:  
    What reason would there be to go without the Hollywood TV/Movie Garbage? 
    A reason to go. 
    Feel Me? 
    JK I don't care. 
    Movies Suck, Stuff other than comics Suck, and English teachers Suck. 
    So long as Comic Con caters to Filmboys  Its off my radar.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.