Follow

Rogue

Character » Rogue appears in 6611 issues.

The adopted daughter of Mystique, Rogue was once a member of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. Now reformed, Rogue has become a veteran member of the X-Men.

When and why did Rogue start changing (personality/look/etc)

redbull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By redbull

Remember Rogue back in the early 90s, when Jim Lee and everyone was drawing her? She was like this larger than life southern personality, with wild hair and a big personality. She was tough as hell, but she seemed like a really down to earth country girl.

I've only recently started reading X-Men again and everything I've seen of her is different. She looks YOUNG, like very young still, and almost more 'petite'. Not like a real strong woman, but rather a softer younger 'pretty face'. And she's always wearing that cloak and hood. Overall she just looks and feels more like a dark emo-girl than anything.

I remember in Age of Apocalypse, she had the whole cloak thing going, and her personality was much different - but that made sense, because life as completely different for her in AoA.

When in 616 did her character start to change into this new personality?

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#2  Edited By The_Martian

I believe she gradually progressed  to that as she absorbed more memories and personalities from other people.

redbull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By redbull

Here's what I mean:

Old:

No Caption Provided

New:

No Caption Provided
    uncanny89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By uncanny89

I think she just started to change when the X-Men evolution cartoon came out.  And tbh i think if they had her personality from the 90's with the look now then she would be great again 

Avatar image for crimsonspider89
    crimsonspider89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By crimsonspider89

In modern X-Men she is returning with that personality. And her outfit is a little similar but she has gotten older and lost the Ms. Marvel portion. That is part of the reason for the change, Carey is doing a good job with any characters he has written and he does get her personality right.

MrMiracle77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By MrMiracle77

When Anna Paquin played her in the first movie.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#7  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @MrMiracle77 said:
    " When Anna Paquin played her in the first movie. "
    Yup, exactly that.  She went from having a skunk stripe in her hair to white-highlights instead....  but also physically she's slowly begun to look more & more like the erstwhile Ms Paquin as the years have gone on.
    Redalert_27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Redalert_27

I used to like Rogue back in the 90's when i started reading comics. I dislike what she has become now though. From her personality to her new powers. I am kind of hoping that she dies in Second Coming.

Ashra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ashra

Liked Rogue in the 90's. . . absolutely abhor her currently.  
    Oh & I dislike ROMY =)

courtney12490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By courtney12490
    No Caption Provided
    courtney12490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By courtney12490
    No Caption Provided
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PrinceIMC

See 90's Rogue was too much based on Ms Marvel's personality anyway. I think she's become more an independent character lately.

jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By jordama

I like her now, she still has that southern bomb in her, but it isn't being waved arond like before.
    growup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By growup

I miss the Southern 90s style Rogue

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Thunderscream

I dig her current incarnation. 

KattVonNoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By KattVonNoir

I haven't read much with Rogue in it recently(this is going off what I have just seen her in) but I know that when I watched the 90's cartoon Rogue, Storm, and Jubilee were my favorite characters, but now I don't much care for any of them! Rogue was so much fun in the 90's even with her powers that made her so closed off she still always tried to act really happy, and she was only ever acting emo like for a tiny bit in some random episodes, but now it has TOTALLY reversed. I think its due to TV/movies wanting to appeal to what is "hip" and such. When X-men Evolution/X-men 1 came out the emo thing was crazy huge(I still liked Rogue in Evo tho :P) I think it was a combo of movie Rogue and Evo Rogue that influenced how alot of comic writers started portraying her... Which sucks because I miss old Rogue. :(

likalaruku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By likalaruku

I can't STAND how she looks now.
    SDSMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SDSMP

Rogue was always kinda weird. love her looks now,but i never got rogue as a popular character shes so weird.
    @KattVonNoir: The very first time i watched xmen the cartoon and saw Jubilee i started loling. All she can do is make colours plus she seemed stupid as hell

KattVonNoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By KattVonNoir
    @SDSMP: 
    When she first showed up she was like effing up electronics! She didnt seem very stupid to me, just misunderstood.
    charles83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By charles83

someone mentioned that ROGUE'S strong will,earthy,self assured,sassy personality from the 80's through the 90's wasn't soley hers.but MS MARVEL'S?! you are wrong,i've been a fan of rogue's for sometime,an i can tell you that the strong will though "stereotypical" rowdy southern flirty girl personality is ROGUE'S. carol danvers/ms marvel character is from BOSTON,she doesn't have a "southern belle" persona.hint:Ms MARVEL'S FROM BOSTON,not  MISSISSIPPI LIKE ROGUE.that's why most fans of rogue know her for the southern "SUGAH" "GAL" aspect,and not the 
    xmen movies weak,winey,quasi-emo,can't make a move without wolverine watching her,rogue. that's why her code name is ROGUE(which means rowdy,and thugish!) 
     the Ms marvel personality was an echo in rogue's psyche,an it only took over when ROGUE(ANNA MARIE) lost some amount of control over those echo's within her mind.when ms marvel took over ROGUE'S mind completely,you knew it wasn't rogue.but carol danvers,which was more of a dry,homely,yet strong personality.but not sassy,flirty,witty,and down to earth,the classic ROGUE has a strong personality alone which was put on display many times without the ms marvel personality. i think people get the super strength and flight,confused with having a strong attitude alone,yes! rogue has felt lonely,and out of place due to her powers before.but she seem to always pull herself up by her boot straps,and kick ass! she wasn't a one dimensional character like shown in the movies,or wolverine and the xmen cartoon.the writers of the films,and bryan singer felt that due to the emotional connection with the sense of touch,and pleasure of another's touch lacking within rogue's being,it would bring a emotional weight to the movies,which it didn't in my opinion,because she already brought that to the comics,in a more complex way,unlike the movies linear,myopic view on the character,that's why the comic book version of rogue has been dealt the worse hand due to the films rape of such a great character,while wolverine's stock has risen beyond compare.
    CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By CellphoneGirl

At least her outfit is similar now :P
     At least her outfit is similar now :P
    agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By agent9149

i think because of the time...characters have to move with modern day styles

Aqua11500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Aqua11500
    @charles83 said:
    " someone mentioned that ROGUE'S strong will,earthy,self assured,sassy personality from the 80's through the 90's wasn't soley hers.but MS MARVEL'S?! you are wrong,i've been a fan of rogue's for sometime,an i can tell you that the strong will though "stereotypical" rowdy southern flirty girl personality is ROGUE'S. carol danvers/ms marvel character is from BOSTON,she doesn't have a "southern belle" persona.hint:Ms MARVEL'S FROM BOSTON,not  MISSISSIPPI LIKE ROGUE.that's why most fans of rogue know her for the southern "SUGAH" "GAL" aspect,and not the xmen movies weak,winey,quasi-emo,can't make a move without wolverine watching her,rogue. that's why her code name is ROGUE(which means rowdy,and thugish!)  the Ms marvel personality was an echo in rogue's psyche,an it only took over when ROGUE(ANNA MARIE) lost some amount of control over those echo's within her mind.when ms marvel took over ROGUE'S mind completely,you knew it wasn't rogue.but carol danvers,which was more of a dry,homely,yet strong personality.but not sassy,flirty,witty,and down to earth,the classic ROGUE has a strong personality alone which was put on display many times without the ms marvel personality. i think people get the super strength and flight,confused with having a strong attitude alone,yes! rogue has felt lonely,and out of place due to her powers before.but she seem to always pull herself up by her boot straps,and kick ass! she wasn't a one dimensional character like shown in the movies,or wolverine and the xmen cartoon.the writers of the films,and bryan singer felt that due to the emotional connection with the sense of touch,and pleasure of another's touch lacking within rogue's being,it would bring a emotional weight to the movies,which it didn't in my opinion,because she already brought that to the comics,in a more complex way,unlike the movies linear,myopic view on the character,that's why the comic book version of rogue has been dealt the worse hand due to the films rape of such a great character,while wolverine's stock has risen beyond compare. "
    YES but what people fail to realize is that Rogue has no real personality,she takes on the aspects of whoever she absorbs.A lot of people say  they want 80's- 90's Rogue back and what not..but this is how i know these are just people who watched TAS and haven't read the actual comics.the spunk that you saw in the 90's was Carol  tough, bitchy  IDGAF attitude.and just because she still had her Southern accent means nothing,she had Ms.M's personality..not her Boston accent. 

In a way Rogue still had some of her personality traits,but a lot of her(mentality) attitude wise had taken on a more aggressive Rowdy side when she absorbed Carol.The reason why Rogue is the way she is now is not just sole blamed on her movie actress or portrayal but her multitude of personality's becoming one over the years.(not saying Anna Paquin had nothing to do with it,,cuz that was a big part too)
    JCJQLB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JCJQLB

She grown up!

Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By Shadowdoggy

yeah, I agree that she has changed 
    and I agree that it most likely has to do with the loss of Ms. Marvel's abilties 
    she's older now, more refined, a little more of a woman and less of a characture 
    boob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By boob

I blam Sentry............................a-hole.

PYH000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PYH000

A lot of people don't realize is that the current Rogue's characterization was just like the 80's one when she made her first appearance from Uncanny X-men. she was scared and unsure of herself when speaking with Prof. X in his mansion. She wasn't rowdy at all at first. I can see that her rowdy side may have come from Carol Danvers' personality but then again, Chris Claremont can sometimes change some characters (even his own) characterizations completely out of the blue without any logic. I still can't forgive him what he had done to Magik (Illyana Rasputin).

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#28  Edited By SC  Moderator

GAH THIS THREAD MAKES ME UPSET!! >>

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#29  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @Aqua11500:  lol, what? No, Rogue's attitude was a direct result of her inability to touch, and overcompensation and a bunch of other things directly specific to her. Sexual aggression, bravado, over confidence, Her and Ms Marvel were worlds apart in personality. Rogue really did lead with her fists, Ms Marvel was more strategic, this is made even more clear when Rogue and Ms Marvel would swap personalities. I feel your thoughts on the matter lack any actual depth. I could see how one could form them.  You almost mischaracterize both Rogue and Ms Marvel too. Writers have been very specific in discussing her as a character. 

Similar 244 is that that wasn't the last time Rogue was scared and unsure, and she was rowdy before that moment as well. CC wrote a lot of his characters with subtle contradictions like that. Its an easy way to achieve some resemblance of depth. Weepy and emotional one moment, smiling, winking and flirting with a giant Sentinel the next. Almighty weather goddess, or tough punk girl with edge. etc
    EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By EnSabahNurX

I'm ok with current rogue but i miss her having ms marvels flight and strength

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

#31  Edited By time1

I too have notice a change in her character, it mainly the change her power, that has made her weaker compare to most of the other popular X-Women, that was really bugs me, she was pretty strong back in the 90's, handle herself in most situations, despite how tough her opponent  was. She did steal Ms Marvel powers but, she  was better with them. Ms Marvel not much of hero,  overrated, if you ask me. Rogue was much better with her powers. I haven't been to impress with Mike Carey work in X-Men Legacy. I like what's going on between Rogue & Magneto, it's the only reason why still reading X-Men legacy and cause it's mainly a Rogue title. I've only like one story in X-Men Legacy so far and that is X-Men legacy 231 to 233 : Earth Give up your dead, Part One to three. It was part of the Necrosha story. In that story it reminded me how good Rogue still is, even without  her 90's powers. Her and Magneto taking on Proteus and the mutants he was controlling. There no-one like Rogue, that's why she still my favorite X-Women. How can anyone prefer Ms Marvel over Rogue is beyond on me but, each to there own.

X-Force 26
    X-Force 26

Rogue is the best female in comics, if you ask me
    oldgum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32  Edited By oldgum

Because ...she just fellowed the fashion lol.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.