Follow

Rogue

Character » Rogue appears in 6624 issues.

The adopted daughter of Mystique, Rogue was once a member of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. Now reformed, Rogue has become a veteran member of the X-Men.

Rogue's power control

Westlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Westlife

forgive me if it's short, but I'm not that used to expressing thoughts/questions/other stuff.

I just found out that Rogue can control her powers now. I, personally was glad because I felt like we were all waiting an eternity for it. But someone around me says it detracts from the character and she should only have it temporarily, that it's like finding Wolverine's origins: "good in the short run, but now we all really just want to forget his origins so he'll be a better/more interesting character again." I must admit, I do miss not knowing about Wolverine as I feel since then, he's been really toned down and I kindof miss his more feral side, the one that Sabretooth fights(fought) when they duked it out. Ah, Sabretooth.(Crying face). What does the rest of the vine think? Was Wolverine's past being revealed only good for the short run(maybe), and should Rogue keep her powers only temporarily(no)? Hehe, asking it like that makes me feel like a brutally honest or off my mind.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

It truly is a long time coming.

Ya know what? It's real character development. And it makes sense; she qualifies as a veteran X-Man at this point. She should be able to gain control at this point (even if it wasn't by her skills but by Professor X suddenly figuring out how to flip that switch in her head after all these years).

Again for Wolverine: it's character development. And he's still a brutal killer; just not in front of the X-Men. He gets to slice and dice in X-Force.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#2  Edited By SC  Moderator

Funnily enough, there is a rumor about that soon Rogue will be losing her control over her power. I'll look for a link. 

Anyway, for me... I can see the good and bad. It depends really... I like that she had developed, but what appeals to me more, as in her character is how competent she is written. Right now, she should be almost too powerful, in the sense of applying her control as she has it now, in quite a few recent stories in the past. It creates a gap in the story as well. Like why in Second Coming, didn't they just have Rogue take Vanishers powers, Domino's powers, Colossus's powers, and Nightcrawlers powers to get to Hope? She could have taken other members with her. The reason given by writers, editors was because Cyclops trusts Nightcrawler but not Ariel and Vanisher, well he trusts Rogue doesn't he? Of course what they were really saying was we just wanted to kill Nightcrawler shut up and stop questioning us lol 

Rogue in her fight against Predator X? How badass and unstoppable was she? What's to prevent her doing more stuff like that more often, now that she has control? In fact why isn't she practicing more combinations. Her time limit for keeping powers has increased to undefined, but quite a few hours at least. 

Character wise, I think she is better with control, writing wise, and as far as being back in a team again? Lack of control unfortunately might just be necessary. 
    JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @SC:

They actually made a "slip" in Generation Hope. The line was something like this: (context: they're commenting on Cyclops' choice to replace Rogue with Shadowcat to be the liaison between Hope's group and the X-Men - Shadowcat is currently intangible all the time)

"Great. They replace one liaison we can't touch with another we can't touch."

Not sure if it's intentional or the fault of the writer for not knowing about the character.

Personally, I don't think Rogue should be capable of absorbing more than one power at a time. This would fix some of the issues.

PS: She didn't take Vanisher's powers. Vanisher ran away before that point and was killed by Bastion.
    Westlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Westlife
    @SC

you just may have made me a maybe, but I don't want to seem easily persuaded.

@JediXMan: It may have been faulty, but i like it it amuses me.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @JediXMan said:
    @SC: They actually made a "slip" in Generation Hope. The line was something like this: (context: they're commenting on Cyclops' choice to replace Rogue with Shadowcat to be the liaison between Hope's group and the X-Men - Shadowcat is currently intangible all the time)"Great. They replace one liaison we can't touch with another we can't touch."Not sure if it's intentional or the fault of the writer for not knowing about the character. Personally, I don't think Rogue should be capable of absorbing more than one power at a time. This would fix some of the issues. PS: She didn't take Vanisher's powers. Vanisher ran away before that point and was killed by Bastion.

Oh, that sounds yeah. Pretty telling. Well, unless they were just joking. 

I'd dislike that limit lol, she has had too many cool stories with them. 

Oh, no, I was saying she should have taken Vanishers powers. Domino got to Vanisher beforehand didn't she? Anyway, Cyclops knew Hope and Cable were back, before Vanisher was targeted. All he could have had Rogue take Pixies powers. Since he didn't want Pixie to go in case he needed her. Are you aware of my point mind you? 
    JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @SC said:

Oh, that sounds yeah. Pretty telling. Well, unless they were just joking. 

I'd dislike that limit lol, she has had too many cool stories with them. 

Oh, no, I was saying she should have taken Vanishers powers. Domino got to Vanisher beforehand didn't she? Anyway, Cyclops knew Hope and Cable were back, before Vanisher was targeted. All he could have had Rogue take Pixies powers. Since he didn't want Pixie to go in case he needed her. Are you aware of my point mind you? 
    1. It can be taken many ways. I blame the writer unless something comes out of it.

2. I just think it would help things a bit.

3. Ah! My mistake. I just looked it up. Vanisher died after Nightcrawler, therefore he died after Rogue absorbed the powers. But I think he was just not there. He's not an actual "X-Man" and was out of reach. And he's a member of X-Force, which was then (and kinda still is) secret. That and it was one of those in-the-moment things. They didn't really plan it.
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @JediXMan said:
     1. It can be taken many ways. I blame the writer unless something comes out of it.2. I just think it would help things a bit.3. Ah! My mistake. I just looked it up. Vanisher died after Nightcrawler, therefore he died after Rogue absorbed the powers. But I think he was just not there. He's not an actual "X-Man" and was out of reach. And he's a member of X-Force, which was then (and kinda still is) secret. That and it was one of those in-the-moment things. They didn't really plan it.

1. I do know Gillen knows Rogue pretty well, he has talked about her control of powers on his Formspring. Maybe he wanted to make the character talking sound stupid? 

2. Taking away all of Superman's powers would probably make him easier to write, I guess it depends on how various people like appreciate aspects about the character, but I understand your stance. I am probably a bigger Rogue fan than you, and/or a minor change to your favorite characters would probably annoy you more than it would me. 

3. No probs. He was in Brazil or something, but given how Ariels powers work, they could have been there in a few minutes. They actually knew about X-Force before that as well. Kurts bit at the beginning? Then suppose it is on of those moments time thing, but I can't be a better more strategic leader and thinker than Cyclops can I? First thing I questioned whilst reading was Pixies use, but then again, she is pretty valuable and Cyclops should have that emergency teleporter for himself, but still, given his resources and mind. Its not his fault either, its really just the writers, but its not their fault either. They are trying to sell a comic, not a simulator, and deaths bring money. 
    JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @SC:

1. The person who was talking, if I remember correctly, was Hope. Rogue has been Hope's mentor, more or less, during and since Second Coming. I find it unlikely that she was be oblivious to the fact that Rogue could control her powers - especially considering Hope knew Rogue after she gained control. Same for all of the Lights.

2. Rogue is more of a team character than Superman, though. And yes, you are more of a Rogue fan than me. For example, I would be pissed if they made X-Man look weak. That is true. All I'm saying is that I'd rather Rogue not be capable of absorbing multiple powers than see her lose control again.

3. They "knew" but they didn't know everything. All they knew was that Wolverine, X-23, and Archangel were involved in a hit-squad. They didn't mention Vanisher. I'd say a lot of it was PIS for the sake of the story and to kill off Kurt. But I think Pixie was on standby for emergency evacuation. Actually, didn't Bastion make it a point to eliminate all teleporters? He killed Kurt (albeit unintentionally), killed Vanisher, took out Magick - and in doing so made a reason for Pixie to leave Utopia.
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @JediXMan

1. I'd say it was a joke then. I'd still make that joke because untouchability is still strong associated with the character just like Xavier not walking. 

2. To me, its less about that specific, and just creative changes. Its not like Superman is not in teams, and Rogue has had 30 plus years of being able to absorb more than one character and its worked. Just generally, creative changes have that double edged sword. I like to think that changes to characters are made with more regards to their fan base, so in this instance me, and you take your ten favorite characters, and ideally to me? Instead of making them more appealing to me, they try and do that without changing the character in ways you don't like. 

3. Of course, (not knowing everything) but they knew X-Force, and you think they would rather have Kurt alive or be not told about Vanisher? Or Kurt alive and knowledge of Vanisher? Plus they are following Cyclops orders, it takes two minutes to explain why he doesn't want to send Pixie and why he would send Kurt to go get Hope because of the trust factor and Rogue as the muscle, and how both can be 100 times faster and safer by giving Rogue open ended teleporting with a team, as opposed to Kurt straining to make like dozens? Personally I don't really use or regard the term PIS. Plot always always comes first anyway. Inconsistency is annoying but sort of to be expected. 
    Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Shadow_Thief

I agree with your points about how Rogue's loss of control and Wolverine's lack of memory made them more compelling as characters (and were critical elements of their respective backstories), but I don't necessarily think that resetting either of them would be the best approach. I think it would seem like a cheap gimmick to keep everyone in their comfort zone, and would be a waste of good potential character development. While I'm pretty lukewarm about a lot that's been going on with the direction the X-Men have going in recent years, I definitely like how Rogue has been developing as a character.

Westlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Westlife
    @Shadow_Thief
    Oh definitely. I hate copouts like that. If they were to have someone shoot wolverine in the head and he lose his memory again, or some guy come and say: "Wolverine, all you know about your past was a lie, fabricated by me, a telepath, toset you off the course to finding out your true past," I'd be very pissed and I might even boycott them for a while.
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @Westlife said:
    If they were to have someone shoot wolverine in the head and he lose his memory again, or some guy come and say: "Wolverine, all you know about your past was a lie, fabricated by me, a telepath, toset you off the course to finding out your true past," I'd be very pissed and I might even boycott them for a while.

'If they were to have someone shoot wolverine in the head and he lose his memory again, or some guy come and say: "Wolverine, all you know about your past was a lie, fabricated by me, a telepath, to set you off the course to finding out your true past, as the world's premier Male Go-Go Dancer, and you were the best at what you do, and what you did was shake it, shake it, shake that hairy butt, wik wik wik sha'  

0_0 

Oh, lol, anyway, I found that quote that has led some to believe a change in her power set might come, not soon, but still.  

"The next fan asked Lowe what an Omega-class mutant was, and what you do with a character that has reached their potential, like Rogue gaining control of her powers. He explained that Omega-class is an easy way of saying "Mutant WMD." As far as Rogue goes, they play with it. He did say, however, "she won't have control of her power forever," though there are no concrete plans to do that to her yet"
    Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13  Edited By Timandm

I think the way Rogue was while she was with the X-treme team, she was insanely powerful... Not that I didn't like her that way.  At that point in time, she could call upon ANY power she had absorbed from ANYONE at ANY time.  And, of course, she could use any number of those powers at the same time.

Now, she can absorb powers WITHOUT hurting the person she's borrowing from.  It also seems she does not 'drain' them in anyway.  I wonder if she could keep a sample of certain super-heroes on her so that she could mimic them at any time...  The way the character "Geiger" does.  If you've not heard of Geiger, she can mimic the powers of any gamma-irradiated super being *hulk, she-hulk, doc samson, abomination, etc...)  She keeps a locke of Doc Samson's hair on her.  So, I wonder if Rogue could do the same...

Regarding her losing control of her powers again... It might be interesting if her powers started to 'switch' without her control.  At any given time she might go from having super-strength to being intangible or what not.  OOORRRR!!! How about this?  Instead of copying powers from someone, she starts GIVING powers to them.  The thing is, she wouldn't know which power, and she wouldn't know if she was going to GIVE the power or COPY it... That might be interesting...  There there's always the possibility of transferring psyches so that she and her target switch bodies...

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By EnSabahNurX
    @Timandm said:
    I think the way Rogue was while she was with the X-treme team, she was insanely powerful... Not that I didn't like her that way.  At that point in time, she could call upon ANY power she had absorbed from ANYONE at ANY time.  And, of course, she could use any number of those powers at the same time.  Now, she can absorb powers WITHOUT hurting the person she's borrowing from.  It also seems she does not 'drain' them in anyway.  I wonder if she could keep a sample of certain super-heroes on her so that she could mimic them at any time...  The way the character "Geiger" does.  If you've not heard of Geiger, she can mimic the powers of any gamma-irradiated super being *hulk, she-hulk, doc samson, abomination, etc...)  She keeps a locke of Doc Samson's hair on her.  So, I wonder if Rogue could do the same...  Regarding her losing control of her powers again... It might be interesting if her powers started to 'switch' without her control.  At any given time she might go from having super-strength to being intangible or what not.  OOORRRR!!! How about this?  Instead of copying powers from someone, she starts GIVING powers to them.  The thing is, she wouldn't know which power, and she wouldn't know if she was going to GIVE the power or COPY it... That might be interesting...  There there's always the possibility of transferring psyches so that she and her target switch bodies...
    I like the idea of recalling a power from a piece of the person 
    I don't like her losing her control because then they will simply revert her to what she was and her development will be lost and repetition will begin, but it would be interesting for them to show her powers go haywire like when she absorbs alien dna(go occasional dilemma) because at least its temporary for the most part, let the effects last for a couple issues till they run their course. I'd even be ok if her powers occasionally  go hyperactive with how much she absorbs(give that draining kick they had when she had no control). This way she has control of when her powers are active but not always in control of how much she draws from someone so then she'd have that fear of using her powers. Just don't want her to be back at square one, I'm ok with some sort of compromise
    zerophyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By zerophyte

I dislike Rogue's current power limitation and in that all powers she absorbs have a time limit, and if she excessively uses said "absorbed power", then it'll drain and disappear alot quicker. 

I really hope the writers will bring the concept back where Rogue was able to review and recall past power templates she had absorbed. That would make her more useful in the long run and a more interesting character.  

That or at least give her back one permanent power template in addition to her absorption ability.

Westlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Westlife
    @zerophyte: For real? It's worse than I thought. That's horrible.
    EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By EnSabahNurX
    @zerophyte said:
    I dislike Rogue's current power limitation and in that all powers she absorbs have a time limit, and if she excessively uses said "absorbed power", then it'll drain and disappear alot quicker.  I really hope the writers will bring the concept back where Rogue was able to review and recall past power templates she had absorbed. That would make her more useful in the long run and a more interesting character.   That or at least give her back one permanent power template in addition to her absorption ability.
    Bring back ms marvel's power set, they took the kick out of rogues power, I'm all for her having her current limited power if she had a default power set to go along with it
    zerophyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By zerophyte
    @EnSabahNurX said:
    @zerophyte said:
    I dislike Rogue's current power limitation and in that all powers she absorbs have a time limit, and if she excessively uses said "absorbed power", then it'll drain and disappear alot quicker.  I really hope the writers will bring the concept back where Rogue was able to review and recall past power templates she had absorbed. That would make her more useful in the long run and a more interesting character.   That or at least give her back one permanent power template in addition to her absorption ability.
    Bring back ms marvel's power set, they took the kick out of rogues power, I'm all for her having her current limited power if she had a default power set to go along with it
    Exactly. But how would she reacquire that power set without putting Ms. Marvel back into a coma? Unless Professor X alters something in her mind, maybe she will be able to recall past powers again. But to make things fair, maybe she should only be able to use one power at a time, not multiple. 

Nevertheless, it seems to me that they have replaced the strong female character type(Rogue) with Frenzy(Joanna Cargill).
    time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

#19  Edited By time1

Rogue is my favourite X-Women of all time. Which is suprising, considering how often I go on about Jean Grey.  If we to look at her powers overall, we have  three  versions of them

90's version 

she couldn't touch a person without hurting them, she couldn't control her powers and she had Ms Marvel powers, so she was really tough and kick ass. 

2000 version, where she had Ms Marvel powers too and she could call upon any power she had absorbed from anyone at any time, but she couldn't always control it. 

Today version, she has full control of her powers and  she can absorb powers without hurting the person she's borrowing from. 

My favourite versions will always be 90's, she was a lot cooler and at time it made more sense, espicalley her relationship with Gambit and now, the direction her powers going in is far more interesting. Be able to control the powers she absords, much more useful in a fight. 

I would like her  to have Miss Marvels  powers back, and have  full control of her power and able to absorbs powers without hurting people. Then will get to see how tough she really and useful she is in fight.
    zerophyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By zerophyte

Right now, as it stands... She would be pretty useless against a group of stronger mutants, if she has noone else backing her up, whom she can touch to absorb powers from. So shes usually stuck using her martial arts fighting. And if she is able to seize the opportunity, steal a power from one of the enemies. 

Otherwise she is SOL. However, it seems she has always conveniently pre-absorbed a power or multiple powers before going on missions even. Or absorbing a power from whatever teammate is temporarily incapacitated during battle.

I really don't know what i think of her, its too random of a dynamic really. No consistency at all.

Westlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Westlife
    @time said:
    Rogue is my favourite X-Women of all time. Which is suprising, considering how often I go on about Jean Grey.  If we to look at her powers overall, we have  three  versions of them  90's version she couldn't touch a person without hurting them, she couldn't control her powers and she had Ms Marvel powers, so she was really tough and kick ass. 2000 version, where she had Ms Marvel powers too and she could call upon any power she had absorbed from anyone at any time, but she couldn't always control it.  Today version, she has full control of her powers and  she can absorb powers without hurting the person she's borrowing from.  My favourite versions will always be 90's, she was a lot cooler and at time it made more sense, espicalley her relationship with Gambit and now, the direction her powers going in is far more interesting. Be able to control the powers she absords, much more useful in a fight.  I would like her  to have Miss Marvels  powers back, and have  full control of her power and able to absorbs powers without hurting people. Then will get to see how tough she really and useful she is in fight.
    This.
    riri4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By riri4life

I'm glad she has control now, but Ms. Dane brought up a good point when Rouge was still having problems...

No Caption Provided

AMEN Lorna, a-men! LOL

KDarkholme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By KDarkholme

@time: I would love to see that too but it would snow on the hills of hell before they do that.

KDarkholme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By KDarkholme

@riri4life: Haha! That was hilarious. If Rogue loses control of her power's again Im going to lose my mind all over Marvel's ass.

MyraMyraMyra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MyraMyraMyra

I think Rogue's lack of control over her powers has been a fascinating aspect of her and it has contributed much to her character developement, but I'm going to bang my head against the wall until I pass out if they're going to make her lose control again. That story has already been covered, and I really don't see any point in telling it. It would be extremely tedious and downright regressive to see her confront the problems she's been wrestling with for more than twenty publicing years again. I'd really hate to see her swinging back and forth between having control and losing it. Having no control was interesting, but that part of her character evolution is now over and done with.

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By EnSabahNurX

@KDarkholme said:

@riri4life: Haha! That was hilarious. If Rogue loses control of her power's again Im going to lose my mind all over Marvel's ass.

its going to happen T___T I remember someone at marvel making a small hint to it, so she will probably absorb some weird dna that screws up her power control again and you will hear me scream in annoyance no matter where you are in the world lol

KDarkholme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By KDarkholme

@EnSabahNurX: Now that I think about it they probly will do it. It's so played out though. After all the years Rogue has not had control and now she finally gets it and they want to snatch it away again. Too soon. They could have gave me ten years of her power control. You will hear my scream rite after yours. Lol

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By lykopis

@MyraMyraMyra: @EnSabahNurX:@KDarkholme:

She'll be involved in some kind of "Legacy" backwash or some such (absorbing some new villain that will retrigger something to make her lose control) and in will swoop glorious Magnus to offer comfort in the form of some convenient full body magnetic/repulsion full body condom....

MyraMyraMyra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MyraMyraMyra

@lykopis said:

@MyraMyraMyra: @EnSabahNurX:@KDarkholme:

She'll be involved in some kind of "Legacy" backwash or some such (absorbing some new villain that will retrigger something to make her lose control) and in will swoop glorious Magnus to offer comfort in the form of some convenient full body magnetic/repulsion full body condom....

*bangs head against wall*

@KDarkholme said:

@EnSabahNurX: Now that I think about it they probly will do it. It's so played out though. After all the years Rogue has not had control and now she finally gets it and they want to snatch it away again. Too soon.

And that's been done as well. She and Gambit both lost their powers after the Vargas arc so they moved to California and lived happily together for a while, but then their powers returned. That was Rogue being granted the ability to touch without draining anyone dry and then having that liberty snatched away. I'm going to be so, so mad if they're going to repeat this old story again.

There's much more to Rogue than the inability to control her powers. Her characterizion cannot revolve around that one aspect of her forever. They need to let her move on.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @lykopis said:

Ahahaha *hard to breathe, laughing* 

@MyraMyraMyra said:

There's much more to Rogue than the inability to control her powers. Her characterizion cannot revolve around that one aspect of her forever. They need to let her move on.

Exactly, so much this!! X-Men characters especially work well by moving forward in character development, not regression. True in comics, all things come in cycles, but characters have traits/aspects that can develop indefinitely and traits and aspects that stay unchanged. Rogue's powers and abilities do not have to cycle around and around and around. Its as easy to keep the character true to her roots by letting her sassiness, stubbornness, loyalty and so on, those traits can't make her stale and thus allowing her powers have some stability/development (as opposed to regression)
    zerophyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By zerophyte

They are really planning on screwing up her power control again?? Where was this hint dropped??

Avatar image for nightwalkerrevan
    NightwalkerRevan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By NightwalkerRevan

I would be a real backward step to take away her control (in fact way back, ever since they had mutant power inhibitors in the comics I always wondered then why the X-Men never designed a controllable version of one with which Rogue could turn her powers on and off, that would have functioned like her version of Cyke's visor), it seems to regress the character back to the 'untouchable one' again. The aspect of her story has been done to death I would think.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.