Follow

Rob Liefeld

Person » Rob Liefeld is credited in 1001 issues.

Rob Liefeld is a successful, but controversial artist. A penciler and writer who rose to record-breaking success in the 1990's with titles such as The New Mutants, X-Force, and Youngblood.

Rob Liefeld Takes Over Three DC Ongoing Series

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#151  Edited By jsphsmth

@KidSupreme: I never would have picked up the H&D miniseries in the 80s if it wasn't for Rob'd art. The issue with the current H&D ongoing is Sterling Gates writing, not Rob's artwork. I think that most of the people who are complaining about it aren't actually buying the comic.

I hate the mob mentality that surrounds Rob. I am willing to ACTUALLY BUY THE COMICS and see their quality before I make my judgement.

I was ready to drop Deahstroke, but I like Rob's ideas so I am sticking with it. I am reading Grifter and had no intentions of dropping it. I am even more excited when I read about Rob's ideas for that comic.

Mr_riddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#152  Edited By Mr_riddler

ROB!

Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By Adnan

@BatBen9135:I think he's writing and drawing Deathstroke, and plotting the other two.

TheRedRobin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#154  Edited By TheRedRobin

That's too bad about Hawkman because I always felt like that was way better then 'tec.

umbrafeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 20

#155  Edited By umbrafeline

my 7-year-old niece can draw better than liefeld. a 2nd grader vs a pro? my moneys on the girl

Bernicky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By Bernicky

I hate everything

Mahzian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By Mahzian

"Anatomy?! Where's Jim?!"

Alch21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By Alch21

@TheCrowbar: Really good book

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#159  Edited By DarthShap

@Mahzian said:

"Anatomy?! Where's Jim?!"

Great video. This is so embarrassing for Liefeld. Sure, he cannot pretend he is as good as Lee but here it just looks like he knows absolutely nothing about anatomy.

Avatar image for kapitein_zeppos
    kapitein_zeppos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By kapitein_zeppos

My first comics were Superman and Batman from the dusk of the SIlver age and the early Bronze age. I then graduated to Marvel comics around the time of Claremont's X-Men and got out a few years after Secret Wars two.

I got suckered back into comics through the Image revolution, until I started to notice something. While the artwork at first seemed so much more dynamic than the stuff from the olden days some of the anatomy had me worried. I wondered how far they could stretch the human anatomy before it become completely abstract.

In the end I realized that a lot of the new comics were purely style over substance. They looked cool and hip, but they were poorly written and the artwork was too extreme.

Liefeld is definitely one of the people that put me back off comics in the nineties because if people were going to have to top that they would have to do unholy things and break every rule we know about drawing the human anatomy.

Liefeld looks cool and dynamic, but only if you cast a casual glance, as soon as you look more closely you notice how shoddy his work really is.

And I'm really glad that people started to explore whole new styles and that comics today look better than the ever did with a great diversity of styles and designs. So let Liefeld have his Deathstroke, one more reason not do pick up the title.

pingclang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

#161  Edited By pingclang

Ahhahahaahahaaa!!! Oh...they're serious...oh no.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#162  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Ready for this?

Thank (your local deity) he is plotting Grifter! Liefeld will be a godsend to that book and to Savage Hawkman!

I'm not too into him drawing Deathstroke, but it will be interesting to see his writing.

This message brought to you by one of the few people that respects Rob Liefeld.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@aztek_the_lost said:

@inferiorego said:

Ready for this?

Thank (your local deity) he is plotting Grifter! Liefeld will be a godsend to that book and to Savage Hawkman!

I'm not too into him drawing Deathstroke, but it will be interesting to see his writing.

am I the only one that was liking Grifter?

...Yes... But I think I was the only one liking Men of War.

CrimsonTempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#166  Edited By CrimsonTempest

Ladies, please contain your periods. Has anyone here thought that maybe the reason that Liefeld got to work on Deathstroke (total irony), Grifter (irony times 10), and Hawkman (?), is because DC is making good on his contract? Not like Marvel, who lets an artist like Ariel Olivetti stand there and do nothing since Iron Man 2.0 is canned?

Common sense; so rare, it's a superpower!

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By jsphsmth

@inferiorego said:

Ready for this?

My new favorite staffer.

Please buy the comics first, then complain. If you aren't buying them, you haven't earned the right to complain.

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#168  Edited By IrishX
    @inferiorego said:

@aztek_the_lost said:

@inferiorego said:

Ready for this?

am I the only one that was liking Grifter?

...Yes... But I think I was the only one liking Men of War.

No. There are others who like the title (Grifter). The story has been average but the art has been good and even better since Scott Clark took over. But I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who cares about the Deathblow mention... 

Also I think it's stupid as hell if someone plans to drop the Grifter title because Liefeld is simply associated with it, he's not doing the art or writing it so I'd say that's a major overreaction.
    GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 23

#169  Edited By GothamRed

what, why? What does rob liefeld have on DC?

ips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By ips

how does this guy still have a career??

if someone is willing to pay him for his "work" ... they may as well take me on. i'm actually talented at least. sigh.

BADJEREMIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By BADJEREMIE
    No Caption Provided
    Sobe Cin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By Sobe Cin

@doordoor123: I don't exactly hate Liefeld, I am just majorly disappointed in the man. He is constantly late in producing his projects. And he draws at the level of infancy.

NXH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By NXH
    Avatar image for cosmic_sentinel
    Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#174  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

There's got to be hundreds, if not thousands of artists and writers in America that are looking to break into comics and would jump at the chance to work on one of those titles. Why is he still employed? Hawkman is the only one of those I read, so I'll get ready to cancel it.

Gordo789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#175  Edited By Gordo789

*facepalm* cause Liefeld did WONDERS for Hawk and Dove I'm sure. It's too bad DC decided to basically cancel these books.

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#176  Edited By Darkmount1

@Benuben: Wow. So the only character of Liefeld's that you think was good was only one member of Youngblood? No wonder people mock the guy on end....

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#177  Edited By kennybaese

I didn't really care a ton about the other books, but it's a bummer about Deathstroke. Higgins run on the book has been pretty great.

mrplowking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By mrplowking

No, it's not "cool" to hate Liefeld. It's just the truth.

He is, by far, one of the most talentless artists working in comics. How he keeps getting paid for his work is beyond me. Tiny feet, pouches galore and humongous guns... whatever.

Oh well, these are three books that I won't be picking up anymore.

Dark Noldor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1014

#179  Edited By Dark Noldor

@jsphsmth: Sorry, but I can complain at any time Mr, buying or not the product, especially if I had prior experience with the product and know that is shit! The readers have the right to say what is on their minds, it's something called freedom of speech, unlimited by any condition or clause, so I can say that Liefeld is a horrible artist (penciler and writer) and that I will not continue to buy the 3 ongoing titles that he's boarding! To impose your way of thinking is anti democratic and biased to the fact that Liefeld will produce good work, something that History proved wrong! I don't have to buy the comic to "earn" the right to complain, are you insane?!?

SpitfireINK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By SpitfireINK

Ok - I know the long standing joke in comics is the "Liefeld" syndrome -

Liefeld gives Little kids everywhere can feel a false sense of hope that they too can one day be a Comics Illustrator

Since he's apparently not going to go away - (because of few character creations)

Can we ALL at least agree to Band together & help pay for this guy to take some Figure Drawing classes?

- or STOP BUYING his D*NG books!!! -

And Yes - I Can Out-Illustrate that Joker any day of the week -

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#181  Edited By DarthShap

@walkingcarpet said:

I didn't really care a ton about the other books, but it's a bummer about Deathstroke. Higgins run on the book has been pretty great.

It is a bummer indeed because it will not get any better but come one, the current series was already bad. I can pretty much sum it all up in a few sentences "Oooh yeah! Deathstroke is a badass ninja guy with the badass mysterious briefcase from pulp fiction and he has to fight a badass villain over and over again! EXTREME!"

This is just bad 90's Image comics. Deathstroke deserved way better.

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By jsphsmth

@Dark Noldor said:

@jsphsmth: Sorry, but I can complain at any time Mr, buying or not the product, especially if I had prior experience with the product and know that is shit! The readers have the right to say what is on their minds, it's something called freedom of speech, unlimited by any condition or clause, so I can say that Liefeld is a horrible artist (penciler and writer) and that I will not continue to buy the 3 ongoing titles that he's boarding! To impose your way of thinking is anti democratic and biased to the fact that Liefeld will produce good work, something that History proved wrong!

Oh please. Try forming an intelligent arguement before using the Freedom of Speech card, kid. Nobody can offer an opinion on three comics that have not yet been created or published yet.

Your prior experience with a creator can and should be used to avoid a comic if they are on it. That make sense, but you cannot complain about it if you aren't reading it because you have no data to form an opinion.

Dark Noldor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By Dark Noldor

@jsphsmth: Please "Kid", I can smell bad comics from far ahead, what about you? Do you read everything, do you buy all the comics availabe? I guess not and that's because you have likes and dislikes, right? And that opinion is formed upon the elements of characters, creative team involved, concepts, right? So, based upon my experience and what has been released of information I can say bad things about Liefeld's upcoming new titles without reading them!

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#184  Edited By BatWatch

I was hoping somebody else was going to take over Teen Titans.

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By jsphsmth

@Dark Noldor said:

@jsphsmth: Please "Kid", I can smell bad comics from far ahead, what about you? Do you read everything, do you buy all the comics availabe? I guess not and that's because you have likes and dislikes, right? And that opinion is formed upon the elements of characters, creative team involved, concepts, right? So, based upon my experience and what has been released of information I can say bad things about Liefeld's upcoming new titles without reading them!

No, I do not buy all the comics published. Nor do I make judgement about titles that I do not read because it would be unfair of me to speculate about the quality of those books.

I will continue buying all 52 of the DCNu for the first six months. That way I can make an intelligent decision about which titles I want to cut. I will do the same with the Second Wave.

You on the other hand can do whatever you want. I truly do not care. I have never run across you before on the boards and I hope not to do so again.

progenitorigin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By progenitorigin

Deathstroke vs. Lobo? LOL.

Dark Noldor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By Dark Noldor

@jsphsmth: Uau Mr "kid" what an amazing display of intelligence and temper from you, way to show it, now I totaly get what you're trying to say, awesome!! Go on and be happy reading every trash that DC shoves at us! You're probably one of the guys that loved "52", "counting down to Final Crisis", "War of the Green Lanterns" and so far!

AgentGC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By AgentGC

Liefeld? Why are you people still giving him work?

blackkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#189  Edited By blackkitty

I don't think it's fair to assume people hate Liefeld because it's "cool" to do so. I mean, I started off as everyone did. I got Youngblood, I collected his run on x-Factor and even followed him to get his series Coven. However, I have to say, what was I thinking. I look back at the stories now and realize they were mostly just gratitous fight scenes, character development was shallow if at all. He still hasn't learned to draw feet and it's almost funny watching the length he goes to to avoid doing it. Now, I disd check out his Hawk and Dove to see if Liefeld improved and... no. However enough's enough. Now to be fair, it seems DC is putting Liefeld on books the creative teams have abandoned anyway, so I suppose once can say, what's the worst that can happen?

lagoonman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#190  Edited By lagoonman

now that deathstroke, grifter and hawkman are the next cancelled titles i suggest :spectre or phantom stranger for the dark line,doom patrol or freedom fighters for a team book,and vixen,atom(ryan choi) or hardware for a more diverse book.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@jsphsmth said:

@inferiorego said:

Ready for this?

My new favorite staffer.

Please buy the comics first, then complain. If you aren't buying them, you haven't earned the right to complain.

I win!

p_rixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By p_rixx

Judging by an overall negative reaction i'm afraid that grifter (which is one of the titles i really enjoy) would soon degrade to some mindless and tasteless (which is even more important) cheesy action. am i right?

i'm just trying to prepare for the worst...

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By jsphsmth

@p_rixx: No, I don't think so. The ideas that he presented for Grifter sound good.

King Quisling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By King Quisling

Looks like 3 more canceled titles

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By Video_Martian

@King Quisling said:

Looks like 3 more canceled titles

QFT

R.I.P. Hawkman :,(

roarshock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By roarshock

I agree with Apathetic Avenger. I don't care if its "cool" to hate Leifeld's work or not, his stuff is terrible and has always been. He hit a good stride with New Mutants and then into early X-Force issues, but we all quickly realized that his art is terrible, doenst hold up well and is, at times, just ridiculous. He still can't draw hands or feet, everyone's face looks exactly the same, 2 page panels of some dude's eye ball gets old and he is just so predictably bad that I won't buy his work no matter if his books are selling half a million copies of 5 copies. Now, as far as plotting, I might be willing to give that a chance (cuz I like Hawkman), but anything he draws, i won't buy. He should really enroll in a Joe Kubert class or two. Joe's sons could actually teach him a thing or two. There has been no growth at all in over 20 years of Leifeld's art. Its just as bad now as it was then.

Yumulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By Yumulu

I don't get it... why do DC like to sabotage themselves? They must have people in the editorial department that secretly work undercover for Marvel.

Mutaform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By Mutaform

I will drop every book he is affiliated with.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#199  Edited By _Zombie_

Not going to comment on what they'll be like.. but my experiences with Liefeld are not good. Deathstroke and Grifter are getting cut. Could care less about Hawkman, as I never really took interest in the book.

Ganthetsward20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 3

#200  Edited By Ganthetsward20

I like Rob Liefeld in Hawk and Dove, really so far he's been great, but I dont think i'd like him on Deathstroke...i really like how that story is going and the way that art work is. I dont like the his art on Deathstroke...it just reminds to much of the teen titans cartoon that i did not love, and it just really rubs me wrong. Him on thoes other books is fine, but really he dosnt fit the gritty look they have and feel. I have heard hes connected to deadpool and i know deathstroke and him are similar but I love how different they are and really really dont like him on this particular book....im going to cover my eyes and peek occasionally

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.