Follow

Rick Grimes

Character » Rick Grimes appears in 488 issues.

Rick Grimes was formerly a police officer in the small, peaceful town of Cynthiana, Kentucky. After being wounded in a shoot-out and waking up from a coma after a month, he becomes a reluctant figurehead of a group fighting to survive a world where the dead no longer stay dead.

How does the Walking dead show compare to the comics?

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Nighthunter

I finally gave the walking dead a chance (I wanted to from the beginning, just didn't have the chance) and thanks to a TV marathon I have been able to see the full first 6 episodes and loved it. I loved the show so much that I'm now interested in the comics. 

I've heard universal praise for the comics and of Robert Kirkman's writing, which put the walking dead (along with invincible) in my "to read list" the main thing against doing so though has been that I've always HATED everything related to zombies, out of all the monsters they've always been the most stupid and boring to me. With the show however I've realized that the story isn't about the zombies (or walkers) but of the people that try to survive. 

I want to know how good are the comics compared to the show. Are they as good? Better? Not as good? I know they are quite good, but not how good. And also is the show an adaption that just does what is in the comic or is it based in it but also separate enough to have different stories? 

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Primmaster64

Its kinda...well the story is different. There are some new characters on the show that did not appear on the comic.

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Nighthunter

how different? (Please no spoilers)
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Primmaster64

Um...No spoilers...Well..Rember when Rick ( Forgot his name), Instead of staying in the city they headed right to the camp of people. What else..well....there's quite a lot dude.

Kingsley Kaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Kingsley Kaine

Wish I could help, but I'm in the same boat as NH, LOL, so can someone just say how good the comics are? I love Kirkman's writing for Invincible and Wolf-man, but this is a very different kettle of fish.

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Nighthunter

also, if someone likes the show does that mean that he/she is likely to enjoy the comics? With Kirkman as a consultant I would believe so but just want to make sure

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By danhimself

the story may be slightly different between the 2 but they have the same theme...the books are where it's at though....there will be several issues that go by where the most of a zombie you might see is a panel or two and then there are several issues that go by where you won't see a zombie at all....the zombies are more part of the environment then they are characters...they're there and they're a threat but the biggest threats of the series are the other human survivors...if you liked the show then I'd highly recommend that you check out the series...it's not the most action packed book around so if you're looking for action then you're not going to find it here....but if you like suspense and some of the best character development in comics then Walking Dead is the book for you

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#8  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

They both aren't good :)

Avatar image for higher_evolutionary
    higher_evolutionary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it is pretty good i have been reading it since last year, the comic is awesome, but its best read in trades though

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

They both aren't good :)

you don't like TWD? why?

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#11  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

i know this thread is 2 years old, but whatever.

story is a lot different. different characters are alive, different settings. story goes off course at different places, etc.

both are solid, but I think both are overrated. I think the story is probably better in the comic, but the black and white art is kind of...lame given the gore / zombie genre. Its not bad art by any means, but it leaves it severely lackign IMO.

On the flip side the makeup in the show is excellent but the story is pretty campy IMO. season 3 especially was a campfest.

either way...their not bad...not great either. I find myself with little or no emotional connection or attachment to any of the characters.

kcjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kcjr

The books move at a quicker pace, the show (which i do like) can be kinda slow.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.