Follow

Rick Grimes

Character » Rick Grimes appears in 488 issues.

Rick Grimes was formerly a police officer in the small, peaceful town of Cynthiana, Kentucky. After being wounded in a shoot-out and waking up from a coma after a month, he becomes a reluctant figurehead of a group fighting to survive a world where the dead no longer stay dead.

AMC Casts Lead For Walking Dead

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided
    The Hollywood Reporter had some interesting details today on the upcoming AMC show Walking Dead, based on the Robert Kirkman book of the same name. The lead, Rick Grimes, has been cast and he will be played by Andrew Lincoln. Love Actually is about the only film on his list that is incredibly recognizable. If you're a little "iffy" on this guy, read what Robert Kirkman, the comic's creator and writer had to say about Andrew.

“Andrew Lincoln, wow--what an amazing find this guy is...Writing Rick Grimes month after month in the comic series, I had no idea he was an actual living breathing human being and yet here he is. I couldn't be more thrilled with how this show is coming together." 

Andrew will be joining Jon Bernthal who plays Shane, Rick's police partner, and for those who haven't read this amazing book yet, Walking Dead is about a zombie apocalypse where Rick Grimes (a police officer) leads a group of people, and they just try and survive. This book does not pull punches and no one is safe from death or dismemberment. Occasionally, important supporting characters will be killed off, and the rest of the group is left to fend without them. It's one of those books that is a must read, especially for zombie fans.

Andrew Lincoln seems to be a good choice for the role. The character of Rick needs to be moderately tough, but he also has to be an understanding leader (well, not always understanding). Andrew seems to have done many dramatic roles, and that's the type of actor you need. The show don't need some buff, one-liner spitting, tough guy. It needs someone who can actually act and fill the shoes of a very dramatic character, Rick Grimes. 

Frank Darabont (Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption) will be directing, executive producing, and writing the show, which films in Atlanta in June of this year.

Do you think Andrew Lincoln is a good choice for this role? If not, who would you cast?
    Fleonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Fleonix

He seems to fit the role, I, Fleonix approve! 

Not that my approval matters at all.......jajajajajjajaja

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

#2  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @Fleonix: I just got off the phone with AMC... They were waiting for your approval. Thank goodness!
    lol
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3  Edited By Caligula

I think he will, work although Love Actually is the only film i have seen him in.
    Fleonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4  Edited By Fleonix
    @inferiorego:  It seems everything here went well then. Now, off to approve the other actors in the Walking Dead. =D
    Avatar image for mr_hulk_smashin__
    Mr.Hulk_Smashin'!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By Mr.Hulk_Smashin'!

I thought it said "He will be played by Abraham Lincoln"

PixelPerfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By PixelPerfect

Andrew Lincoln is an amazing actor! He was in this British TV series called Teachers and he was phenomenal. I can't wait!

AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By AngelFrost

This news could be worse.  (:  
    But overall, I'm happy.

Chane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Chane

If you've never seen "This Life" track it down, he was great in that. 

Tho the 10 years later follow up wasn't too great imo.

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Bruce Vain

I guess if Kirkman approves of him then he should be right for the part.
    MemnochZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By MemnochZERO

I think Lincoln could out to be one of those "suprise" actors that fits the role perfectly, and in an ideal situation blows up in popularity because of it. Frank Darabont knows what he's doing, and Kirkman's approval is enough to me. I hope this all works out for the best (though I'm still kinda bummed Pellegrino didn't get it). It looks like they'll be going low key with this cast trying to land people who've done great work but haven't had an insane ammount of exposure. It really makes me wonder who they'll get for Lori and the rest. That's cool with me, but please Darabont, get DANNY TREJO for THE GOVERNOR!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.