The cosmic entity known as Eon was responsible for the creation of the Quantum Bands over 7 billion of years ago. As it is Eon's duty is nurturing the evolution of sentient life and to maintain conditions favorable to life in the universe, he foresaw a need that the universe would need a protector; he created the Quantum-bands to be the instrument of that protection.
The Quantum Bands themselves are predominantly made of a unknown black alloy that is warm to the touch. They are embedded with seven (not four) golden gems which encircle each band. The bands have been known to change their shape not only to alter size to fit a new bearer. One such bearer, Trantra of the Trill, the first non-humanoid Protector, had apparently merged the bands (or had them merged presumably by Eon) into a belt-like ring which encircled his body at what would be the waist in humanoids.
The Kree know the Quantum-Bands as the legendary Power-Bands of Rinn, which according to Captain Att-Lass were the inspiration/prototypes for the less powerful Nega-Bands. While it's possible that the Supreme Intelligence (who created the Nega-Bands) somehow acquired the Quantum-Bands for study, it's however more likely that he was able to study 'archive footage' of the Quantum-Bands in action.
The Quantum-bands were a factor in the outcome of Cosmos in Collision, the Infinity War, the Annihilation, Annihilation Conquest, War of Kings, and possibly* Realm of Kings.
Continuity of the Quantum-Bands
The Quantum Bands first became notable in Marvel continuity when Robert Grayson a.k.a. Marvel Boy (an Atlas comics character) wore “Uranian power-bands” in defense of the US from aliens, saboteurs, and communists during the 1950’s. Later, (after Marvel acquired Atlas Comics) Marvel Boy apparently returned from Uranus (now calling himself the Crusader) and had been driven mad by the horrors of what had happened to the outpost. He battled the Fantastic Four and Mr. Fantastic surmised that since he only attacked when the sun was high in the sky that the power-bands must be solar powered. Reed obscured the sunlight with a smoke machine and the Crusader found his power greatly diminished. When he attempted to draw more power through the bands disintegrated himself when the smoke had cleared and he drew more power than he could handle. But not all was as it seemed. The Crusader was not actually the human Robert Grayson, but a Uranian double bearing the Quantum Bands instead of Grayson's own power bands. Grayson himself was held in suspended animation on Uranus until very recently.
The bands were then collected from Reed Richards by SHIELD for study. SHIELD enlisted Stark International in that endeavor. The head scientist was a man named Dr. Gilbert Vaughn, who had a son named Wendell who at the time was training to become a SHIELD agent. William Wesley, a test pilot, (a possible allusion to Hal Jordan) tested the bands out but disintegrated himself just as the Crusader had.
AIM robot assault group attacked in an attempt to steal the bands but were foiled when Wendell Vaughn donned the bands to protect them and single-handedly destroyed the assault group. He was then offered a job by Col. Nick Fury himself to become the first member of the Super-Agents of SHIELD. He called himself Marvel Boy and later Marvel Man in honor of Grayson.
Later calling himself Quasar, after it was surmised that the power-bands collected energy from QUASi-stellAR radio sources (or Quasars) he had many adventures, even serving for a time as security chief at Project: PEGASUS, and eventually was appointed by Eon to be Protector of the Universe. It is here that the bands are called by their proper name for the first time. The Quantum-Bands. And it was learned that the bands were actually powered by another dimensional " Quantum-Zone".
Quasar served well as Protector, he was unfortunately killed by the cosmic assassin, Maelstrom, who then donned the bands, but Quasar was able to resurrect himself and reclaim them. Later Quasar was nullified by the Magus and was still able to resurrect himself and eventually reclaim the bands again, but not before a Skrull (disguised as the Comtemplator) briefly claimed one of them.
Quasar was killed by Annihilus who claimed the bands during the Annihilation War. Phyla-Vell avenged Quasar and claimed his mantle along with the Quantum-Bands. She has recently been defending the Kree Empire from the Phalanx. Later joining the Guardians of the Galaxy. Phyla-Vell was killed by Mentor in an attempt to bring Moondragon back from the dead, thus losing the Quantum-Bands. They were reclaimed by Maelstrom who seemingly sought to feed Phyla and Drax to the Dragon of the Moon. Wendell (who had been resurrected in energy-form) intervened and Drax cut Maelstrom's arms off and the Quantum Bands returned to Wendell and reclaimed his mantle as Quasar.
Wendell lent the Quantum-Bands to Richard Rider who had lost his powers and was dying. Once he had gotten his own powers back he returned the bands to Wendell.
The following beings* have worn the Quantum Bands in presumed chronological order:
* = This listing is by no means complete, but includes all those known to have word the Quantum Bands.
Abilities of the Quantum Bands
Primarily, the bands are tools for manipulating forms of energy. A bearer of the quantum-bands can affect, alter, absorb, and channel any form of energy found in the Electromagnetic spectrum, from Gamma Rays to Radio Waves, and this also includes visible light.
- Energy Constructs: The bands can construct anything the wearer can imagine from "Quantum energy", This energy is derived from the Quantum-Zone, although the bands can absorb energy from all known sources.
- Flight: The bands allow the bearer to fly in atmosphere or in space (surrounding the wearer in an energy aura to protect from air-friction or the vacuum of space), and can achieve incredible speeds (Wendell Vaughn once flew from New York Harbor to the Sea of Tranquility and back in under 10 minutes which means he would have to maintain an average a speed of 2.8 million miles per hour without teleporting). Quasar was often clocked at near light-speed. Starhawk was estimated at traveling at "thrice light-speed" by Era, Eon's child in an alternate future.
- Teleportation: they also enable the bearer to quantum jump or create apertures between the fabric of space/time of various sizes. Allowing the wearer access to the realm of potential energy which the bands interface with known as the Quantum-Zone. A wearer can then travel through this trackless, featureless zone and emerge at a different point in our physical space light years away from his starting point only seconds later. His Quantum-bands would enable him to keep his bearings while in the zone and thus emerge where he wants to. He can cross countless light years in a single jump (Quasar regularly traveled from our star system to systems in other galaxies) if he so desires. Important note, however, she cannot quantum-jump within an atmosphere without ripping a hole in its ozone layer.
- Communications: The bands can detect, emit, and receive radio waves; thereby the bearer can communicate with other radio receivers. The bands can also create a “Quantum-link” which appears as a glowing golden sphere about 2 inches in diameter, which travels to the point of contact at warp speeds and connects with any communication device present allowing the bearer to carry on near-instantaneous communications even over extra-galactic distances.
- Altered metabolism: One previous bearer of the Quantum bands (The Crusader) has been known to be able to augment his strength and stamina to unknown limits with the Quantum-bands. William Wesley was shown to be able to lift an automobile when he was field testing the "Power-bands". Quasar himself rarely exhibited this ability and only when it was needed. He once physically restrained She-Hulk by himself, whether this was a statement of his augmented physical strength or her own restraint is unknown, though she seemed to struggle against him.
- Mental protection: Despite the fact that the Quantum-Bands have no control over the mind or Psionics, at least one previous bearer (Quasar) had "programed" the Bands to protect his mind for mental attacks and takeover. So powerful is this protection that powerful psychics, such as Moondragon or the Overmind could not overcome it.
- Mental/Physical bond: The Quantum Bands bond with their bearer upon contact interfacing the bearer's mind with the Bands allowing for mental control. Permanently affixing themselves generally to the bearer's wrists, the flesh and bone within rendered indestructible so long as the bond with the bands persists. The bond can only be broken upon the bearer's death, at which point the bands could be removed easily.
- Worthiness: Similar to the hammer of Thor ( Mjolnir), a bearer of the Quantum-Bands must to be worthy. As the Quantum-Bands are tied to the station of the Protector of the Universe, the bands seem to require a calm mind lacking ‘killer instinct’ to learn to use them to their fullest potential. A bearer with the intent to commit acts of depravity and destruction will quickly find himself losing control of the energy output of the bands until they disintegrate him.
- Magic: The Bands cannot absorb it or resist it. However, an enchanted physical object will only be as strong as the object itself would otherwise be. Therefore, Thor's hammer (Mjolnir) will simply not shatter Quasar's forcefield like glass. Fortunately, magicians have no control over the energies he manipulates so, it evens out.
- Extra-dimensional energy: Quasar is susceptible to all persons using Darkforce. The Q-bands cannot create constructs to hold or resist darkforce energy. The Darkforce penetrates his energy like it wasn't even there. Also entities from the Negative-Zone (such as Annihilus) can corrupt the bands if wearing them.
- Kinetic energy: The Quantum Bands have no defense against someone manipulating it psionically. (Which is why Maelstrom overwhelmed Quasar so easily to begin with), but a bearer can resist a kinetically imbued object (such as a knife or a deck of cards) If a bearer of the Quantum Bands senses the attack they can throw up a shield to defend themselves with.
- Psionic energy: A psionic blast will cut through any quantum constructs like paper mache'. Fortunately, most psionic manipulators are susceptible to the energies of the Quantum-Bands, so it evens out.
- Matter manipulation: Foes who manipulate matter, psionically or otherwise, the Quantum Bands cannot effect their powers. They deal with energy, not matter. The Molecule Man, Sersi, Phoenix, Her, and the Silver Surfer, among others, affect matter in a way that a bearer of the Q-bands cannot. However, Her, Sersi, and the Silver Surfer use cosmic energy to power their matter manipulation abilities and therefore a practiced bearer could affect the energy source, but not the ability itself.