Follow

Punisher

Character » Punisher appears in 2804 issues.

When U.S. Marine veteran Frank Castle's family's was murdered for witnessing a mob hit, the man vowed to avenge their deaths and became a one-man army in his personal war against the criminal underworld. With a distinct death's head skull adorning his chest, Frank Castle became the vigilante known as the Punisher.

Why is there no PUNISHER tv series?

labarith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By labarith

So I'm watching TNT's Closer, and it's the episode where Brenda gets the kid to confess in Mexico, and thus stay in a Mexican Prison for 40 years. Me? I love these episodes - the one where Brenda tricks the baddies into doing something against their interest - that gets them to kill themselves.

And I imagine a Punisher ongoing tv series would have a lot of these moments... that is where the baddie gets what's coming to him because of his vice.

It strikes me that a Punisher ongoing series would be rather simple - the only question is how bloody it would be. Clearly the Thomas Jane Punisher movie, depsite the senseless changes and over-the-top killing of the family was far superior to Punisher War Zone. If you play it up like a weekly cop show, except with Castle killing people at the end... the good thing, though, is that it wouldn't have to be formulaic - you could do all sorts of fun things - a "silent' episode, a shoot 'em up episode, war flashback episode, a vampire episode (of course, there should be some question as to whether it's a vampire), etc., etc., etc.

The "reoccuring cast" seems like it would be relatively slim, as well. Frank, Microchip, [insert a cop who he is still friends with on the force], [insert "kingpin" like character for the main city]. and then maybe a half dozen cops who we see in different episodes. This gives you plenty of cash to spread around to guest stars who will get shot all to hell.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Well..there's Dexter...he's kinda like Punisher...only more interesting imo

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3  Edited By Timandm

Well, Hollywood has yet to make a good Punisher movie, so we don't know that they COULD make a good punisher series... but I would LOVE for HBO to take on that project...

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By CrimsonAvenger

@Timandm said:

Well, Hollywood has yet to make a good Punisher movie, so we don't know that they COULD make a good punisher series... but I would LOVE for HBO to take on that project...

Exactly this. Hopefully since Disney has taken the rights back, we can finally get a good Punisher movie. Though whether or not it will be rated R has yet to be seen.

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Timandm

@CrimsonAvenger: Hard to imagine it not being rated R... he's the punisher... He KILLS... he's definitely not a PG-13 type of character..

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cattlebattle
    @Timandm said:

@CrimsonAvenger: Hard to imagine it not being rated R... he's the punisher... He KILLS... he's definitely not a PG-13 type of character..

The Punisher 2004 was PG-13 and crappy. They can never get the character right when adapting him to film, This is why they need to let comic writers write the films sometimes
    CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By CrimsonAvenger

@Timandm:

Yeah but Disney has never made an R rated movie so I'm not sure if they'll make it a first with the Punisher.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@The Stegman said:

This

&

The fact, Punisher is a little too graphic, Not to mention Punisher has grown one-dimensional over the years. The guy has an obsession with killing bad guys, wooptey doo.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By CATPANEXE

It would be an easy transition and sell, that much is for certain. One could almost say the quality of all three of the live action films produced thus far were closer to that used in a generic action hero type television series. Violence isn't a huge issue in television anymore, even the prime time, and I'm not sure why people still think that factor even exists. The airing of Starship Troopers with all of the violence and gore scenes intact in a 6-7pm slot is a perfect example, and that happened years ago.

@CrimsonAvenger said:

@Timandm:

Yeah but Disney has never made an R rated movie so I'm not sure if they'll make it a first with the Punisher.

Disney has yet to saturate or diffuse Marvel, and it's against their contractual obligation to do such a thing, despite the belief that they will or do. 
    The fact that they publish MAX titles, a subsidiary of Disney and a publisher of adult rated Punisher comics for that matter is a pure statement
    against said belief. That and Disney does produce R-Rated films. They just put them out through one of their many film subsidiaries. That and while 
    they retained the property, that doesn't mean they won't let a different film studio produce the vehicle, something which they do regularly.
    labarith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By labarith

@Timandm said:

Thomas Jane's movie was pretty good, although not "mainsteam" Punisher (although it reflects SOME punisher arcs).

Avatar image for fenixrevolution
    fenixREVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By fenixREVOLUTION

I would like to see it, I'm just not sure they could keep a show going about a guy who kills mobsters. Don't get me wrong, I like the Punisher, but they'd need to do a lot of work to get it to stick more than a season or two.

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Timandm

@labarith said:

@Timandm said:

Thomas Jane's movie was pretty good, although not "mainsteam" Punisher (although it reflects SOME punisher arcs).

I actually enjoyed the movie, but I didn't think it was great... It COULD have been... It was like something you start eating and it SEEMS good but there's SOMETHING that's just not quite right... Like the cookies that my daughter made today. She's almost 10. She made these great sugar/cinnamon coookies. At first, they tasted great but then I noticed that... SOMETHING.... Turns out she added "Five Spice." That's a spice used to cook chicken; it's kind of like teriyaki.

John Travolta - As an actor I like him, but his character just didn't fit.

The T-shirt - I thought that was a strange gift for a boy to give his dad. It felt out of place. But, to be fair, I don't have a son.

The Slaughter - The blatant slaughter of his entire family was way over the top even for a Punisher film. Organized crime families don't do things that would draw down the wrath of police everywhere.

But the movie did have it's great points too.

The Hit Car - A hit man used a CAR as a weapon to kill Frank Castle. That just seems... SO LOGICAL!!! Not subtle. Just right up in your face SMASH...

Weird Characters - Weird but interesting characters like the guys that lived in the same building as Castle. Mystique lived there as well, which I consider a plus. The Russian!!! That was a great character for this type of film. Sort of super human but believable.

Will Patton - The actor that played John Travolta's right hand man. A great actor and his character was excellent. Cool, calm, ruthless, loyal...

Um... I'm rambling. Okay, maybe I liked it more than just a little.

@CATPANEXE: @CrimsonAvenger:

Yep... What Cat said. They simply produce the film through a subsidiary...

Mr. Smiths

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mr. Smiths

AMC could do a Punisher television series. They have some of the best shows on television. And Punisher could be TV-14 and still work aswell. Punisher translates better to television then movies anyways.

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    @The Stegman said:
    Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Hazlenaut

You know they could make joke of people being resurrected. There are also the Skrulls, Servents from the Clan Akkaba, and etc for him to kill.

cody1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By cody1984
    @labarith said:

So I'm watching TNT's Closer, and it's the episode where Brenda gets the kid to confess in Mexico, and thus stay in a Mexican Prison for 40 years. Me? I love these episodes - the one where Brenda tricks the baddies into doing something against their interest - that gets them to kill themselves.

And I imagine a Punisher ongoing tv series would have a lot of these moments... that is where the baddie gets what's coming to him because of his vice.

It strikes me that a Punisher ongoing series would be rather simple - the only question is how bloody it would be. Clearly the Thomas Jane Punisher movie, depsite the senseless changes and over-the-top killing of the family was far superior to Punisher War Zone. If you play it up like a weekly cop show, except with Castle killing people at the end... the good thing, though, is that it wouldn't have to be formulaic - you could do all sorts of fun things - a "silent' episode, a shoot 'em up episode, war flashback episode, a vampire episode (of course, there should be some question as to whether it's a vampire), etc., etc., etc.

The "reoccuring cast" seems like it would be relatively slim, as well. Frank, Microchip, [insert a cop who he is still friends with on the force], [insert "kingpin" like character for the main city]. and then maybe a half dozen cops who we see in different episodes. This gives you plenty of cash to spread around to guest stars who will get shot all to hell.

The Punisher's MAX series would be the best candidate to base a show off since the producer and director of the Show wouldn't have to worry about super powered characters at all.  Some events like Mother Russia wouldn't like be made into a TV show unless the show was extremely popular do to the cost of actually trying to make the episode have some of the big events like the story arc does. 

Their already is an audience for this type of show HBO's Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, and Oz proved this point.  Whether the show would be on HBO is questionable do to them being owned by Time Warner which owns DC comics.  However, the Show could just as easily appear on Showtime or Encore.    
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PowerHerc

Because they can't make it gritty and violent enough to appeal to Punisher fans and still be aired on TV.

cody1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By cody1984

@PowerHerc:

No Caption Provided

This wasn't gritty and violent?

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PowerHerc

@cody1984 said:

@PowerHerc:

No Caption Provided

This wasn't gritty and violent?

Not as gritty and violent as a 'Punisher' tv series would have to be for Punisher fans.

Besides, Oz was an HBO series; not a conventional TV series (and it still wasn't all that violent).

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
    mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Id love to see one if they got it right.

Sir_Deadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Sir_Deadpool

just too much killing i guess. he is the deffinition of an anti-hero. wouldn't be something for teens or children.

Avatar image for boogiesteven007
    boogiesteven007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By boogiesteven007

i know but ive seen the trailer i don't see a skull symbol on his t shirt in trailer, the punisher in comics always wears skull symbol on his suit , and skull symbol is his icon just like for the flash has his lightingbolt and batman has his bat symbol, captain america for his star

icons are important

Avatar image for deactivated-5988def3424a7
    deactivated-5988def3424a7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Punisher Netflix series was confirmed ten days ago.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.