Follow

Punisher

Character » Punisher appears in 2803 issues.

When U.S. Marine veteran Frank Castle's family's was murdered for witnessing a mob hit, the man vowed to avenge their deaths and became a one-man army in his personal war against the criminal underworld. With a distinct death's head skull adorning his chest, Frank Castle became the vigilante known as the Punisher.

Psychology of The Punisher?

devilzwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By devilzwar

Why is the Punisher the way he is?
    Ive read he has a need to fight war, but why? is it post traumatic stress disorder? is that all there is to him?
    for example Batman is very self conflicted, because of whats necessary vs his morals.
    Batman and the Punisher are both my favourite as both are humans with flaws and no powers, and potential for any man to be.

Does the Punisher just have a need for war, if so, is it an addiction from trauma, or is it his true calling; being a warrior?
    Though he may have a need, it cant be that simple, otherwise why doesnt he just go to the wars in africa or the middle east?
    Or does he not have a need at all, but simply wants to get rid of the 'bad guys' with an any means necessary/militant mentality?
    He is not a sociopath otherwise he would have no problem killing innocents/civilians. He could still have a (better) war if he went after police/government forces.
    So can you offer any insight..? Thankyou

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Its hard to analyzes the character of the Punisher because he is one of the most inconstantly written characters in comic. One day he fighting a war on crime because his family was murdered, the next its because of things he's experienced in war. Also he's written differently depending on situation, as was noticed in a similar article about What if the Punisher kills and innocent. Some times he mourns, others he goes bat shit insane, and others he rationalizes it as collateral damage.

cody1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By cody1984
    @devilzwar said:

Why is the Punisher the way he is?
    Ive read he has a need to fight war, but why? is it post traumatic stress disorder? is that all there is to him?
    for example Batman is very self conflicted, because of whats necessary vs his morals.
    Batman and the Punisher are both my favourite as both are humans with flaws and no powers, and potential for any man to be.

Does the Punisher just have a need for war, if so, is it an addiction from trauma, or is it his true calling; being a warrior?
    Though he may have a need, it cant be that simple, otherwise why doesnt he just go to the wars in africa or the middle east?
    Or does he not have a need at all, but simply wants to get rid of the 'bad guys' with an any means necessary/militant mentality?
    He is not a sociopath otherwise he would have no problem killing innocents/civilians. He could still have a (better) war if he went after police/government forces.
    So can you offer any insight..? Thankyou

Not every man could be batman or the Punisher.  The Punisher is highly trained individual who has an extreme pain threshold and planning and improvisation skills that are beyond normal.  Batman is super rich and has a ton of gadgets that no ordinary person could ever have and is highly trained himself.  

Now as far as why the Punisher fights his war it really boils down to just punishing the guilty so they don't get away with what they've done.  He sometimes gets joy out of it but most of the time he gets none out of it.  The reason why he fights his war goes back to him not becoming a priest like he was going to because he wanted criminals dead not to save and reform them.  He also had events in his childhood where he saw to of his friends die and that affected him as well.  Vietnam had a big effect and so did his family but its not one of these events alone that made him the Punisher it is all them combined over his entire life that made him start his war on crime.  
    KenTheProfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By KenTheProfile

@devilzwar

While there is one school of ideas not brought up yet. The Punisher may be an avatar like Moonknight. he may  works for some dark demi-god. also he maybe socipathic or psychopathic.

not all of them kill people and in fact many go on to be very ruthless business people. I think in a famous book by Dr.Robert Hare he said something like 1 in 100 people have more the one trait of or full blown pathic disorders

add in the trama of being in 'nam, having you family killed before your eyes, and proabaly being born with mental problems.
    I prefer the supernatural and psycho explaination mixed.

devilzwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By devilzwar

@cody1984 :  all one has to do is join the military to aquire those skills & knowledge. of course Punisher and Batman are exaggerated because they are fictional characters.

@:KenTheProfile:  "not all of them kill people" yes i know, but Frank does kill people haha.. so if he was a sociopath he wouldnt distinguish bad guys from good guys, he'd kill indiscriminately. also, if he was a sociopath, he wouldnt of loved his family.

thanks both for your answers
    cody1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5  Edited By cody1984
    @devilzwar said:

@cody1984 :  all one has to do is join the military to aquire those skills & knowledge. of course Punisher and Batman are exaggerated because they are fictional characters.

@:KenTheProfile:  "not all of them kill people" yes i know, but Frank does kill people haha.. so if he was a sociopath he wouldnt distinguish bad guys from good guys, he'd kill indiscriminately. also, if he was a sociopath, he wouldnt of loved his family.thanks both for your answers
    That's if you make it through the training which more than a few don't even make it through basic let alone special forces training where the vast majority don't make it.  
    devilzwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By devilzwar

Good point, special forces especially would be rarer, but i did say "potential" : )   

im from the philippines and my uncle there was in the army. after leaving, he and a group of army mates would take out drug dealers and such by means of vigilantism. you could look it up, that sort of thing is not uncommon there because the government is so unreliable/corrupt.
    KenTheProfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By KenTheProfile
    @devilzwar
    Not trying to be an ass or anything but he could be a sociopath and still love his family. Sociopath are made not born. Psychopath are born that way.
    also psychopathic and sociopathic people could have a of code sorts. it not that they are void of internal logic, it that they don't get emotions like normal people do. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5af7470263a09
    deactivated-5af7470263a09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

war addict or Revenge fueled vigilante. Take yer pick.

kingnothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"You're not insane. If you were, you'd have walked into a McDonald's with an Armalite by now. You're not a Dahmer or a Gacy in the making. You take no pleasure in what you do; take no pleasure in anything you see. And you FEEL. Showing you those pictures [of Castle's family] was not something I did lightly."

-Microchip, talking to Punisher

Punisher simply can't be a sociopath. He feels too much grief over his wife and children. When Micro showed him the pictures, and pried as to why Punisher did what he did and what role his family played in his motives, Punisher threatened to attack despite being bound to a chair. He also admits that he assaulted his neighbor after he came to have a drink and admitted to Castle that he had cheated on his wife. I think Punisher has a hero complex, thinking that he has some duty to wipe out crime in the city, but that can be said of any comic book hero, although Punisher doesn't show much of a moral code so he is probably less self-righteous than other characters. Dr. Larry Lewis is working on a series called Hero Therapy, and in the first episode he analyzed Punisher. He does not say that Punisher has any mental disorder, but instead suggests that he simply didn't completely move on from the loss of his family. Every kill is a little bit of redemption, but it's never enough. And because he has taken on the mafia, even if he does eventually get over his grief, he can't stop because the mafia will never die. There is no happy ending for him; he must carry on until he stops breathing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want my psychopathic war daddy back. Edmonson's characterization was awful.

Immolation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93: Yes he was. Hated Punisher redesign in that too.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Immolation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93: Were going to get Steve Dillon again for the next one. I'm assuming he will probably draw him just like he did in welcome back Frank like he did in Thunderbolt's. I actually like Dillon.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@immolation: Me too. He did great work on Punisher MAX with Aaron.

Psychopathic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We all go a little mad sometimes.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.