Follow

Poison Ivy

Character » Poison Ivy appears in 1965 issues.

A brilliant botanical biochemist, Pamela Isley is a fervent eco-terrorist out to save the world's plant life by any means necessary. She often finds herself at odds with Batman, though they have, on occasion, fought on the same side.

Why the hell is Ivy a villain?

• 75 results
    Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

Seriously! I mean yeah she is an eco-terrorist, but she has TOTAL anti hero potential. People will probably respond to me saying she hates all humans, but many of her actions prove otherwise. I mean, she almost sacrificed her life to save her orphans, and I remember reading a comic where she used her powers to help a starved village. And she doesn;t want to destroy mankind, she just wants to create harmony between humans and plants. I am boycotting everything Batman until DC makes Ivy an anti hero! Not saying she should be a goody-goody hero, but she should DEFINATLEY be an antihero.

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Phaedrusgr

Have you read Hush? She's not that innocent and she's definitely not an anti-hero type. She only cares for her plants, forgetting that not everyone is evil. She's so wackadoodle...

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#3  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26: you do know she's been a villain since her first appearence in 1966, right?

I mean, I see your point, but she's been a villain for so long it seems unlikely she will change just over night...

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#4  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Isn't she joining Birds of Prey?

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By EnSabahNurX

@spiderbat87 said:

Isn't she joining Birds of Prey?

Yup lol she is the fourth member

I think they are trying to revamp poison ivy since she has kind of hit a road block as a character, aside from her bond with harley she hasn't done too much development wise

But she was amazing in batman TAS lol

nightwing91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6  Edited By nightwing91
    @SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26: She cared for her orphans because she related to them through her own troubled childhood, she likely felt as young as they were  they were no threat to the environmental and she actually opened up and let herself care for them. 

She's a villain though, she has moments where her selfishness comes off like an anti hero however, like when she killed a corrupt GCPD cop for killing on of the orphan. 
    GREGalicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By GREGalicious

She's a villain because of her complete disreguard for human life (except for maybe HARLEY). Until she can get over that, she'll always fall into villainy.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#8  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 said:

Seriously! I mean yeah she is an eco-terrorist, but she has TOTAL anti hero potential. People will probably respond to me saying she hates all humans, but many of her actions prove otherwise. I mean, she almost sacrificed her life to save her orphans, and I remember reading a comic where she used her powers to help a starved village. And she doesn;t want to destroy mankind, she just wants to create harmony between humans and plants. I am boycotting everything Batman until DC makes Ivy an anti hero! Not saying she should be a goody-goody hero, but she should DEFINATLEY be an antihero.

she is an anti-hero now. she's joining the Birds Of Prey soon

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By joshmightbe

I believe her willingness to kill innocent people is why she's a villain, sure sometimes she's gunning for people that deserve it but a lot of the people she hurts are innocent bystanders

SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Phaedrusgr:

Yes, I have read Hush, and I never said she was innocent. In fact, she is incredibly dangerous and if she werre to become an anti hero, she would arguable be even more dangerous than punisher and/or rorschach. And what about what about that one issue where she used her powers to help a starved village?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By joshmightbe

@SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26: what about the hundreds of issues where she hurt many innocents for her own ends? Even Punisher makes sure the people he takes out are bad people and wouldn't risk the lives of hundreds of bystanders to get one bad guy

SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe:

magneto kills hundreds off innocent people, and he is an anti hero in my mind as well. I do admit Ivy has commited her fair share of attrocities, but I wouldn;t say she;s completely evil which in my mind is the requirememnt for being a villain. I think she should go through a huge revelation before becoming an anti hero though.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By joshmightbe

@SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26: IMO I don't care what anyone says Magneto is a villain, he's a hate mongering, murderer and him being part of the xmen now makes them all hypocrites because he stands against every value the xmen were built upon

SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe:

I disagree. Magneto was abused, hated and mistreated all his life as a mutant. All he was trying to do was achieve equality for a group that had been facing oppression their whole lives. Do I agree with his methods? hell no! But I don't consider him a evil villain much less a "hate mongering murderer"

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By joshmightbe

@SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26: So you're saying having a rough life justifies murder and terrorism?

SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe:

No. I'm saying that Magneto's overrall goal of achieving mutant equality is just, and if he's willing to use extreme acts of violence to do it, I totally disagree but I understand why he is doing it. Look, I get your point and I understand it, but I respectfully disagree. It's been a pleasure debating with you.

TheOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By TheOptimist

Ivy has a history of living children, though, remember.

Ivy has a lot of potential with her message, but there are still plenty of considerations to take in with her.

And she is one of those villains whose fall to darkness might easily be attributable to Batman himself... it has been touched upon before, but I see the inevitable conclusion of Ivy's story coming into compromise with Bruce's understanding of her beliefs... in much the same way that Bruce allowed Harvey to make a turn towards heroism.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By joshmightbe

@SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26: Magneto doesn't want equality he wants mutant supremacy, and in point of fact is most of the reason most people hate and fear mutants. If you know your Xmen history you'll know that Magneto was really the first mutant that the world at large had ever seen and knew for a fact was a mutant, so they had yet to start doing things like building sentinels and registration acts. Maybe if he had come out peacefully instead of introducing the world to mutants by attempting to fling missiles at people mutant relations wouldn't be as bad as they are and maybe things like zero tolerance and decimation wouldn't have happened.

SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe:

Right, because he was totally flinging missles at him when he was a kid, when his entire family was murdered by nazis. And he was TOTALLY fligning missles at people when his baby daughter was brutally murdered. Thoughn it;s easy to say "I would never be like Magneto" the truth is, if I had been through the stuff Magneto went through, and the opression he went through, I would be using acts of violence and terrorism as well. Why? Because in my eyes, it would be the only way out.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By joshmightbe

@SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26: I'm not talking about his early life and that had nothing to do with him being a mutant, most people didn't even know what a mutant was at that point, I'm referring to his decision to blame all of humanity for the actions of the Nazi's and formally introducing the world to mutants as something to be feared. If humans had struck first against mutants I'd be on his side but no he decided to start a war. Many people suffered at the hands of Nazis without using it as an excuse to spread more hate.

gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By gravitypress

Violence isn't a way out but leads to more violence. I hate when they make Villains good because it detracts from the hero by thinning their bad guy roster.

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Phaedrusgr

@SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26: I think that sometimes she shows some potential as an anti-hero, but most of the times she's a complete villain. Now, I guess I could agree with you, if the writers could present her a little bit different at the current continuity. Perhaps, I could see her as an anti-hero, but one must be very cautious while handling Batman's villains. Unlike to other villains, all his enemies have a unique personality, that makes them so interesting. I'll have to give you that though...it could be interesting - Ivy as an anti-hero, I mean -.

SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gravitypress:

Then does that make Ghost Rider, Punisher, Jason Todd e.t.c villains?

gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By gravitypress

I was just referring to this line.

"Because in my eyes, it would be the only way out."

Magnito is as much of a hero as Apocalypse.

gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By gravitypress

Not sure about GR or Jason Todd but Punisher is a wanted man. If Marvel had the death penalty Punisher would get it. Not that I think he or Magnito are bad characters they just arent good guys and would never be.

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26  Edited By RainEffect

Interesting question. 

Ivy has definitely walked the thin line between anti-hero and villain. She's the rare case of having a desire not motivated by selfishness - if you compare her to other Batman villains. For example, Joker kills people and messes with Batman for the lulz (although in the Killing Joke he wanted to prove a point). Penguin wants to run the city. Killer Croc ... well, he just wants to kill Batman. Riddler wants to prove he is better than Batman. 

Then you look at Ivy, she's all about plantation and her hatred of humanity for desolating the world. What is interesting is that Ivy is one of the only villains that Bruce actually has sympathy for. Against so many of his other villains, Bruce really gets pissed off in his typical Batman persona/growl. Whereas with Ivy, he is quite sympathetic. If you have read One Year Later: Face the Face, he understands where Ivy is coming from, but disagrees with the way she is going about it. 

I think she would be brilliant as an Anti-Hero. She's done the villain thing and it worked for her for a while, but now she needs to work on her own. Maybe go down a Red Hood road and kill some completely unlawful characters. 

Or she can go and lay one on Supergirl again. *Smirks*

ivy's creation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ivy's creation

boys boys please! originally when she first got her powers, and even before, she saw that it was her job to return the world back into a paradise where plants thrived and humans and plants coexisted. however, she ditched that after realizing mankind in general was remaining ignorant. she feels that humans have had their chance at redemption so she has dedicated her life to protecting plants at all costs. she beliefs are noble its just not practical in our society sadly, especially gotham

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By entropy_aegis

GTFO

.@SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 said:

@joshmightbe:

I disagree. Magneto was abused, hated and mistreated all his life as a mutant. All he was trying to do was achieve equality for a group that had been facing oppression their whole lives. Do I agree with his methods? hell no! But I don't consider him a evil villain much less a "hate mongering murderer"

Who has'nt been abused and mistreated?

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By entropy_aegis

@gravitypress:

Jason in many of his showings has been portrayed as a villian,even Winick himself said so.

_Marco_Smith_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By _Marco_Smith_

Because writers write her as the villain?

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#31  Edited By daredevil21134

@entropy_aegis said:

@gravitypress:

Jason in many of his showings has been portrayed as a villian,even Winick himself said so.

Winick calls him a bad guy because he kills and you of all people shouldn't take anything he says seriously lol

0xymoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By 0xymoron

I place Ivy in the same category as Magneto. While he wants what's best for mutant-kind, she wants what's best for plant-life and there both willing to go through extreme measures to make it possible. While I understand her intentions, she tends to go about them in the more aggressive way. I've never considered Ivy a villain, more so just a women with a noble cause that no one cares about so she has to take matters into her own hands.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ARMIV2

As long as I've known her character to be portrayed, she's always been absolutely willing to "sacrifice" human lives to save some flowers or such. The disregard for human life is what puts her in the villain category, as stated previously.

busterblader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By busterblader

Two pages in and no mention of Gotham city sirens? For the last year Ivy has been a "good guy" for lack of a better word working with Selina and Harley. Like most of the main rouge galley during the Dick Grayson as batman run it was an excuse to get them out of the way so new villains better suited to Dick could be brought in, but the story like the no-mans land orphans proves your point Ivy is only has bad has the world she sees around her. If she's distracted by friends or survival she can be a great help. Unfortunately when left with nothing better to do she focuses on the evils of development until she snaps and kills the people she sees has being responsible

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#35  Edited By Samimista

@Phaedrusgr said:

Have you read Hush? She's not that innocent and she's definitely not an anti-hero type. She only cares for her plants, forgetting that not everyone is evil. She's so wackadoodle...

Agreed.

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By Hazlenaut

Actually during the Cataclysm in Gotham she did become a hero. She took care of orphans as they were her children. She even sacrificed her powers to save one. The people of Gotham want her away from the children forcing her to return to villainy. She returned from the dead when crocked cop kill one of her children.

nightwing91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37  Edited By nightwing91
    @Hazlenaut: She didn't become a hero, she became a mother there's a difference. She took the children in as she related her past to theirs she didn't care about every citizen of Gotham she cared about the 16 orphans. And she was effectively a villain as she refused to leave the park, despite it belonging to the city.Also she was a villain still before the death of an orphan at a corrupt G.C.P.D officer's hands as she was involved in the plot by Hush and Riddler so that argument of her being forced back into villainy is inaccurate. 
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By entropy_aegis

The moment you oppose a hero you're a villian,simple.

Aqua11500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Aqua11500

If Eric and do it,so can she.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @entropy_aegis said:

GTFO

.@SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 said:

@joshmightbe:

Who has'nt been abused and mistreated?

Not to mention that Erik doesn't want equality, he wants supremacy. 
    RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41  Edited By RainEffect
    @entropy_aegis said:

The moment you oppose a hero you're a villian,simple.

Damn comics logic.
    luckydomino1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By luckydomino1

@SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26: if being a was real mutant and magneto didnt abandon his beliefs like a loser i would be on his side

SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The Poet:

I get your point. But hey, if Doctor Doom and Venom can reform after all those years, so can she.

SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@0xymoron:

I agree. One of the better posts! Great job.

Larkin1388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Larkin1388

@EnSabahNurX: When is she supposed to join Birds of Prey?

cody1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#46  Edited By cody1984

Seriously! I mean yeah she is an eco-terrorist,

Right there you answered your own question.

@joshmightbe:

magneto kills hundreds off innocent people, and he is an anti hero in my mind as well. I do admit Ivy has commited her fair share of attrocities, but I wouldn;t say she;s completely evil which in my mind is the requirememnt for being a villain. I think she should go through a huge revelation before becoming an anti hero though.

Magneto at most is an antivillain you can probably make the same claim about Poison Ivy but she is no antihero.

SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cody1984:

Hero who uses questionable beliefs=antihero. If Red Hood is an antihero so is Ivy, and also Magneto.

SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Larkin1388:

I think she already joined. yay.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#49  Edited By wildvine  Moderator

I agree with everything you have said

MTHarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#50  Edited By MTHarman

I mostly prefer her as a villain.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.