Follow

Phoenix Force

Character » Phoenix Force appears in 1616 issues.

A powerful cosmic entity, an immortal being representing the Life-Death-Rebirth cycle, all current and future life, and is the nexus of all psychic energy ever to have existed, to exist or will exist. It has, at times, chosen a host to live within, granting the vessel nigh-omnipotent power. It has the power to create or destroy anything, or everything. The Phoenix has had various hosts, but the most well known and frequent host is the mortal mutant Jean Grey.

Questions About the Phoenix Force

supermanprime6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By supermanprime6

This might be a dumb question, but I am really confused about this:

Do the hosts of the Phoenix Force have any power of their own or is their power granted to them by the Phoenix force?

It confuses me because Jean Grey was supposed to be an omega level mutant, but until she became the phoenix, she was pretty weak. Now, Hope is apparently the new host and is an omega level mutant as well. Are they omega level mutants because both are hosts, or are they hosts because both are omega level mutants?

THANKS
    supermanprime6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By supermanprime6
    @Edamame: Thanks. So Hope is really powerful in her own right? I've always felt like the Phoenix Force cheapens the powers of the mutants it inhabits. I mean, Hope is supposed to be the Mutant Messiah, but if she isn't much more powerful than the average mutant when she doesn't have the Phoenix force, that just kind of defeats the point of her even being the savior of mutant kind; it would be the Phoenix and not her. i was just sort of bummed out when they started showing that she has the phoenix force but that was when I thought the Phoenix GAVE them their powers. I was wanting Hope to be a mutant that is extremely powerful without any help from the Phoenix or anyone/thing else, and if she really does have her own powers, then I am Hope's biggest fan, lol.
    Gold Dust Boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Gold Dust Boi
    @Edamame said:
    The hosts of the Phoenix Force tend to exclusively be telepaths/telekinetics.  I would say that the Phoenix Force boosts the powers that the hosts already have, and the hosts would have to be Omega-level in order for them to handle the Phoenix Force's immense power.
    I dont think they HAVE to be exclusively psionic mutants.  Amber Hunt from the Ultraverse was pyrokinetic and was deemed by the Force to be a suitable host.  Also, in a few What If... stories Storm and Colossus both gained the Phoenix Force.  While I know these are 616 out-of-continuity, these Watcher told tales are shown to have happened in another Earth in the multiverse and therefore theoretically possible.

And as far as we know Rook'shir, the first known host wielded it through his sword, not through mental abilities.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.