Follow

Phil Coulson

Character » Phil Coulson appears in 372 issues.

An agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. and a former member of the Secret Avengers. He is a character that was introduced in the Marvel Cinematic Universe whose status as a fan favorite led to his introduction in the 616 canon universe.

Off My Mind: The Future of Agent Phil Coulson in the Marvel Cinematic Universe

• 132 results
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#101  Edited By Gambit1024

I would be alright if he'd return as Vision, but I really don't like the LMD possibility. I mean, if he dies and comes back as a robot than that's ok, but if he didn't die for anything (because it was his death that brought the team together), I think that'd be in bad taste. Then again, if anyone could do something tastefully, it'd be Whedon.

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#102  Edited By Miss_Garrick

Normally I hate how Marvel kills people off and then brings them back a week later, but in this case...

BRING PHIL BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He doesn't have to be an LMD, We didn't hear the paramedics call time of death. We only have Nick "already lied about a number of things" Fury's word for it.

SpitfireINK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By SpitfireINK

He's not dead - passing out from blood loss - is not expiring!

The Captain America Cards Fury had were in his locker & before Agent Coulson "passed out" he mentioned they needed something to rally behind - *BING* (light bulb goes off for Fury).

Stark can have a big gapping hole in his chest - they can revive a guy frozen in ice for 70 years - Survive lethal amounts of Radiation - Come on - what's a little Blade piercing?

Besides he's signed on for 9 films (seems a little shy of that number yet)

Avatar image for nowthatisthequestion
    nowthatisthequestion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He was a good character with a good solid ending that played an essential role in the plot. Don't "Heroes" it up and bring him back through some ridiculous turn of events.

texasfredd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By texasfredd

bring his white ass back meo

ChrisBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By ChrisBuster

@SpitfireINK said:

He's not dead - passing out from blood loss - is not expiring!

The Captain America Cards Fury had were in his locker & before Agent Coulson "passed out" he mentioned they needed something to rally behind - *BING* (light bulb goes off for Fury).

Stark can have a big gapping hole in his chest - they can revive a guy frozen in ice for 70 years - Survive lethal amounts of Radiation - Come on - what's a little Blade piercing?

Besides he's signed on for 9 films (seems a little shy of that number yet)

My point exactly.

kilon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#107  Edited By kilon

i like coulson. he's my favorite S.H.I.E.L.D agent so i say use LMD to bring him back.

TheComicMan99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#108  Edited By TheComicMan99

LONG LIVE PHIL COULSON

2008-2012

:(

clemj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By clemj

YOU MUST COME BACK

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 5

#110  Edited By nappystr8

I really hope they keep him dead. Death may not mean anything in comics anymore, but it still does in movies. Let that death have some weight, he died for a purpose. The LMD thing would certainly make logical sense, but it would cheapen the events of the first film.

I would be okay with him returning as the Vision though, he would still be dead, and it would progress the character further.

Jayso4201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#111  Edited By Jayso4201

Even tho this is much better written... You ripped me off I did a blog post on this when the movie came out! My most successful blog post to date! He's not Vision though that would just make it too silly does anyone in the real world even know who the hell Vison is? But you are right he is the everyman and a damn one too. He embodies us, its like we were him and we got to go along for the ride in the movies.

superschure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By superschure

@ChrisBuster said:

Dude is not dead. When Maria Hill comes up to Nick Fury she states the Cap cards were in his locker and he totally evades this statement and states they needed something to avenge and she just just has a look of disbelief on her face. Seems like the logical solution is it was a life model decoy. Also the medical team just happened to be there before a call was sent out, like it was all planed.

Also I don't remember where I read the article but I remember seeing his contract still has him set for more Marvel movies.

He lives.

HE LIVES!!!

Nahero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#113  Edited By Nahero

If micheal bay can come up for a way to bring back megatron who just gets killed for good in the third movie then im sure they can come up with a way to bring coulson back. To have him comeback as Vision? I say why not right? only if they make it believable

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#114  Edited By TheCannon

I hope they keep him dead. I am sick of these meaningless deaths in comic related things.

maemmfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By maemmfc

@ChrisBuster said:

Dude is not dead. When Maria Hill comes up to Nick Fury she states the Cap cards were in his locker and he totally evades this statement and states they needed something to avenge and she just just has a look of disbelief on her face. Seems like the logical solution is it was a life model decoy. Also the medical team just happened to be there before a call was sent out, like it was all planed.

Also I don't remember where I read the article but I remember seeing his contract still has him set for more Marvel movies.

He lives.

^-- This. My exact thought on the matter. Fury was the only one to see his supposed dead body and informed everyone he was down. He very well could have had Coulson get some medical attention, if it wasn't just some sort of set up to help bring the team together.

JungleFritz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By JungleFritz

LMD? The Vision? Or, y'know, Coulson just never died and Fury lied to motivate the team. Chest impalement is not pretty, but it is survivable, even here in the real world, without S.H.I.E.L.D.'s advanced tech and crack medical teams.

SpitfireINK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By SpitfireINK

I can not believe how many people suggested that Agent Coulson might have a LMD - or those that thought he should play the Vision -

I don't think I could ever adequately express how incredibly devoid of thought or creativity those notions are.

All I'll say is even in the comics there is a need for disposable heroes - ahem - Vision - and well now of course the LMD.

Can't say I'd ever want a LMD in a movie - just would be poor story telling.

As for the Vision - well there's a whole level of integrating his character into the movie realm that I just don't think would work very well - you still have to be able to relate with him & as he's not human - well kind of doesn't give you much to care about. Example: Terminator:Salvation even Sam Worthington's character was mostly human (even though some what of a putz) that when it was revealed he'd been experimented with - you could imagine how that must have felt. Similarly with several other Robot genre movies there is always a sense of relating or sympathy that makes you relate to them.

the Vision is just not interesting enough for anyone outside of comic continuity to care about - and I'm not sure they could make him interesting enough either - Ultron himself is not interesting enough either - he's just a machine run amok and certainly not worthy of what we've seen on screen so far.

Avatar image for thephantomstranger
    thephantomstranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dernman said:

Dead be Dead It would take away from the movie and future movies if they brought him back.

This.

I honestly hope that the Marvel movies moving foreward avoid the common negatives associated with mainstream comics.

IE: cheap death, convoluted plots featuring extraneous details, a focus on 90s action and stupidity, etc.

Floopay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Floopay

@thephantomstranger said:

@Dernman said:

Dead be Dead It would take away from the movie and future movies if they brought him back.

This.

I honestly hope that the Marvel movies moving foreward avoid the common negatives associated with mainstream comics.

IE: cheap death, convoluted plots featuring extraneous details, a focus on 90s action and stupidity, etc.

This, I hate when characters die in comic books because I KNOW they're more than likely going to bring them back or make them a LMD or whatever. I dunno, it just makes things have less of an impact if you keep bringing people back to life over and over and over and over and over again.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

Cage_2913_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Cage_2913_69

Im so made they killed him off! "WHY!"

DeawonCDelaney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By DeawonCDelaney

I don’t think he is dead I think he will be used as a catalyst to have the Avengers split from Fury and SHIELD in the next film. I mean Fory used his death to fuel the Avengers how used would they feel if he is alive and running SWORD

MrGutts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By MrGutts

When the 4 hour directors cut is released to Bluray, you will see Thor going to the kitchen to make himself a sandwich and on his way there he stops and resurrects Phil, "because Thor can do that" and then goes on to make himself a PB&J.

sweatboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#123  Edited By sweatboy

@TheComicMan99 said:

LONG LIVE PHIL COULSON

2008-2012

:(

^ lol.

also, may i say...Robo-Cop!

GR2Blackout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 63

#124  Edited By GR2Blackout

I honestly thought he would be a life model decoy when he gets killed off. And, if he's Vision he can still have a sense of humor, and he doesn't have to have a corny costume and he doesn't have to be red or green or yellow or whatever. He can just have robot body-parts like Robot-Man or Cyborg.

z1co80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#125  Edited By z1co80

LMD for sure

Silt44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Silt44

Remember that time they brought Gwen Stacy back in Spider-Man? It didn't work so hot. Or, still on Spider-Man, when they brought May Parker back... twice?

I think the only appropriate way to work him back in is during flashbacks, otherwise, let the poor guy go!

Caveat: I actually like him being part of Vision. It wouldn't be the same, but it would beat having to intro Wonder Man, kill him, then imprint him.

Or, as a final option, they make him do a Captain America/Batman fight through the past sequence and somehow be given his life back, possibly by Hel seeing as how it was Loki who killed him.

DocHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By DocHunter

Three words: U. S. Agent.

Jakanapes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Jakanapes

I'm still convinced that he didn't really die and Fury just used that to spur them into action!

Avatar image for iron_fist_angel
    Iron Fist Angel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#129  Edited By Iron Fist Angel

@Mucklefluga said:

When i saw his "death" i instantly thought LMD

That's exactly what I thought as well, lol. Only a huge comic nerd would think that way.

Soulstealer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Soulstealer

Only one way I want to see him again....

Valhalla!

Because if you die a warrior's death and Asgardians are around. It's always a good choice.

handsome_stud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By handsome_stud

whats LMD?

KidSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#132  Edited By KidSupreme

he should get his own movie!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.