Follow

Nova

Character » Nova appears in 1111 issues.

Richard Rider was a young teenager when he was granted the power of a Nova Centurion. He would have many adventures both on his own and with his peers among the New Warriors; Richard even became a member of the Avengers ever so briefly. He eventually became Nova-Prime, leader of the Nova Corps, where he established himself as a universally cosmic hero of immense power.

Awesome Toy Picks: Marvel Universe NOVA

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Every week we take a close look at a comic book collectible. That means taking it out of its package. There's been an occasional request to look at the 3 3/4" Marvel Universe figures. I've always been a little torn on these figures. The smaller size means it's easier to get more figures to add to a display or collection. But with the smaller size sometimes comes the sacrifice in detail. The price is also a little questionable.

This week we decided to take a look at Nova. This is the Richard Rider version.

No Caption Provided

It's no secret how we feel about Nova. Sam Alexander is doing a great job in the role but Richard Rider still holds a special place in our hearts. So of course when you come across this figure in a store, you'll have no choice but to pick him up.

The figure does include a "collectible comic shot." That just means a little piece of cardboard with a comic cover printed on it.

No Caption Provided

From that image, you can see this is the era from which the figure was modeled after.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Again, due to the smaller size, it's more difficult to include loads of detail. Still, they did manage to include enough to make it easily recognizable. This is Richard Rider.

This wasn't my absolute favorite costume but it did grow on me. In figure form, the extra pieces sticking out look a little strange but with all the articulation, you can move him around into different positions.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

The fun part is gathering up different figures and just putting them together. If you've ever seen the display Hasbro puts up at SDCC, it's impressive. That's what's great about this line, pretty much every figure in the Marvel Universe is included. Because Marvel has so many great characters, having the opportunity to basically mix and match the different franchises is great. These figures may be small but you can do a lot with them.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

That's it for this week. Let us know what you think of this figure or this line. We'll be back next time with another selection.

Trevel8182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

#1  Edited By Trevel8182

This is my jam!

Loading Video...
    No Caption Provided

Avatar image for shallbecomeabattoo
    Shallbecomeabattoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I really dislike those small figures... they really don't look right. But to be fair, I am a statue collector and not an action figure guy, so for me bigger is always better.

Still, great article G-Man! As always! Every sunday morning, the first thing I do after I wake up is checking comicvine for the newest Toy Pick and its always there.

flazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 52

ReverendHunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe I'm a bit biased with my dislike for Nova, but this is a pretty terrible figure. The buck is really nice, but all of the armor is made out of extremely cheap rubber. I only picked him up (just yesterday, strangely enough) to satisfy my ADD-like need to get a complete Marvel vs. Capcom series roster in this scale.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#5  Edited By gmanfromheck
    Avatar image for baberaham_lincoln
    Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Baberaham_Lincoln

@g_man: Oh tony you cheeky devil! *60's happy family generic theme song*

Avatar image for ordinary_origin
    Ordinary_Origin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ordinary_Origin

Thanks G-Man, I'm looking to start collecting and these posts help a lot.

Arkhamc1tizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 33

nice

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Gotta love Nova! ^_^

BritishMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By BritishMonkey

I got this figure a couple months ago and it's worth it.

Shame the newer figures don't come with a base but it's still a great figure.

flazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 52

#11  Edited By flazam
    Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
    RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Ehhh.... There's quite a bit of parts on the figure that I don't like too much....

Avatar image for mister_sensational
    Mister_Sensational

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I LOVE Marvel Universe figures! They just work better for me, I can collect a bunch of them and have them on display without them taking up a whole lot of space like the 6" Marvel Legends figures. I mean I'm not knocking anybody who prefers the Legends brand I just personally prefer these.

Avatar image for g_money_christmas
    G_Money_Christmas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I don't like 3.75" characters. I only get 6-7" figures. I just don't think they have enough detail and feel too flimsy. Well, except the occasional Star Wars figure but they only come in 3.75" (with very few exceptions).

Kerrigan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

There's a lot of variation in quality in the Marvel Universe line: this doesn't look like one of their best, to be honest, although I might still get it because it's Nova.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

A the REAL Nova

mdamasco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

my favorite Nova costume

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.