Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman
    No Caption Provided
    General Ulysses supervises Project Purgatory, a research lab weaponizing infant mutants in Limbo. But the military man's playing with fire here, and it's only a matter of time before he gets burned.

The Good

The whole concept of the army erecting a base in the underworld is actually rather cool. It's got shades of Avatar and Doom - - or rather, what you probably wanted to see in Doom. Wells gives the military men's macho talk good credibility. This isn't a bunch of cliches cribbed from viewings of Full Metal Jacket, but some genuinely funny drill sergeant parlance. The whole set-up with the one soldier ignoring orders and subsequently getting scooped up by some demon made for some great gallows humor. Kirk's art was a treat, too, adding a real basis of reality to this nightmarish situation - - a quality that made it even more fearsome.

The Bad

The New Mutant's non-presence is sort of a blessing and a curse. On the one hand, it allows for a little experimentation to give proper breathing room for the origin of what I presume are going to be the new Hellions. On the other, you might be reading this and wondering where the hell the characters you love have gone to.

The Verdict - 4/5

This actually read more like a short from the likes of the Outer Limits or Analog - - an intriguing military SF with a twist that could stand on its own outside the X universe. For some, it may be a bit too long to be away from the stars of this title, but I think it was a great set-up for what promises to be a memorably-ghoulish gang of new villains. I'm eager to see what happens when these new Hellions finally meet the New Mutants.
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Korg

I really liked this issue. I wasn't a fan of Hellbound, but this story is approaching the concept of Limbo in a very different way, with things being more linear. The premise of this military unit living in the conditions of Limbo, being subjected to a dimension where time flows differently is pretty cool. It's also very interesting that there are mutants who developed their powers under these conditions, and were unaffected by M-Day.

N7_Normandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By N7_Normandy
    @Korg said:
    "I really liked this issue. I wasn't a fan of Hellbound, but this story is approaching the concept of Limbo in a very different way, with things being more linear. The premise of this military unit living in the conditions of Limbo, being subjected to a dimension where time flows differently is pretty cool. It's also very interesting that there are mutants who developed their powers under these conditions, and were unaffected by M-Day. "

I thought it was interesting as well.  That said, I didn't love this issue, since it deviated away from the new mutants.  I would have preferred to get this information a few panels at a time throughout the rest of the arc.
    Winter Soldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Winter Soldier

I havent read any of the New Mutants seires but this cover looks interesting. I might pick it up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

I'm liking this arc so far. But I felt like this issue should have been first.
    Avatar image for illyanarasputin
    IllyanaRasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By IllyanaRasputin
    @Jake Fury: agreed
    Sobe Cin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Sobe Cin

I was happy with the issue- was confused when these guys were introduced prior to Second Coming and nothing since then. So I enjoyed. But it would have been cool to have the first panel with Cannonball looking out a window or something, contemplating the choices he has made.
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By pixelized

Where is Xerox-Kitty, I consider a credible opinion seeing as how we tend to have the same Loves and Hates (Warpath being the exception of course). I dropped New Mutes back during Second Coming, Wells wasn't delivering for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.