Follow

Neil Gaiman

Person » Neil Gaiman is credited in 891 issues.

Neil Gaiman is an acclaimed English writer, best known for writing the legendary Sandman series and numerous award-winning novels. His seminal works include American Gods, Good Omens, and The Graveyard Book.

Neil Gaiman "Saga?"

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

I just got into the Sandman. Now, I'm rather curious about the other titles, such as Death. But is there a reading order for his stories?

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Hmm. Interesting.

The Absolute Sandman volumes reprinted them in order of release, though, didn't they? I don't own them yet, though; I just get them from my library.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @aztek the lost

Absolute is all my library has (... can't complain. They're very nice). It just seemed to me that reading them in order would give one the best experience.
    JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @aztek the lost

I know what you mean. Issues #17, 19, and 20 would be out of continuity. But then, the "main" arcs seem to build on one another. But, then, even the standalone ones actually build on one another. #18 (A Midsummer Night's Dream) ties into the story #13. Not so deeply that it is significant, but it does tie in. But the beginning of the series - his "quest" - has to be read in order. Then the arc with the Vortex (don't have the name) ties into that. The primary arcs tie-in, but the standalone arcs and standalone issues don't always.

I've read #1 through #20. Awaiting vol. 2 now.
    JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @aztek the lost

Oh. My mistake. #18 was a Dream of a Thousand Cats, right? 

I've gotten as far as #20. Would I be wrong to see the Sandman as the "primary" series concerning the Endless? It just seems to be, at least to me. And where does Lucifer come in? Isn't that part of the "saga?"

I have a thing for continuous stories with solid continuity and the requirement of prior reading (I find that that makes the series a bit deeper).

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.