Follow

Neil Gaiman

Person » Neil Gaiman is credited in 891 issues.

Neil Gaiman is an acclaimed English writer, best known for writing the legendary Sandman series and numerous award-winning novels. His seminal works include American Gods, Good Omens, and The Graveyard Book.

Coraline Movie Review

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    At first "Coraline" seems like your typical computer animated movie.  Then you get the feel from "A Nightmare Before Christmas" (since they have the same director).  It doesn't quite seem so much like just another kids' movie.  Knowing that it comes from the mind of Neil Gaiman should pretty much tell you the rest.

"Coraline" started out as a novel by Gaiman.  It was later adapted into a graphic novel and is now on the big screen.  The movie is in 3-D in select theatres.  That should be the only way to watch it.  A movie like this deserves to be seen the way it was intended.  The help of a digital projector lets you see the pristine details that will just blow your mind.  The 3-D isn't essential to the enjoyment of the movie.  It's not one of those 3-D movies that tries really hard to 'shove' things in your face every few seconds to remind you that it is in 3-D.  In "Coraline" it can be subtle at times but there are those moments where you feel the urge to reach out.  To me, this was a good combination.  Often the effect can be more of a distraction.  That may be the case in films that are relying on the effects as a gimmick.  It's not needed here.

No Caption Provided
    The story of Coraline is of a little girl who has moved to a new house.  She soon finds a little doorway that is strangely bricked off.  At night, she finds the door is open and leads back to...her house.  She quickly discovers that it is not her house.  It is more of a fantasy version where her parents actually listen to her and do whatever they can to please her.  Every child's dream, right?  The fact that her "other" parents have button eyes is the only side effect seen at first. 

The movie isn't just about trying to fulfill the hidden wishes of children (my five year old daughter soon got the true message of the movie).   The movie then takes a darker direction.  I would caution those taking small children.  This isn't a Disney movie.  It's also not as light as "A Nightmare Before Christmas." 

No Caption Provided
    With that being said, it is a movie that adults can enjoy.  There is the message to kids not appreciating what they have but there is plenty of adventure and entertainment for everyone.  For the most part, I loved this movie.

"For the most part"?  Yeah.  There was so much that is great about this movie.  It's a good story.  I mentioned the animation.  The character designs are brilliant.  The colors and contrast during the 'dark' times is impressive.  The music also plays a part in setting the mood for the differnt scenes.  I also liked how...spooky it got.  That being said, my daughter wasn't too crazy about the "not nice parts," as she put it.  So what didn't I like?   The ending.  Not so much that you know it's bound to have some sort of a "happy ending" but more in just the way it comes to the ending.  It felt a little rushed.  The suspense builds up but it just felt like the filmmakers had to rush to finish the story.  It's not a horrible ending but perhaps because the movie runs at one hour and forty-one minutes, they knew they had to wrap it up soon.

No Caption Provided
    That being said, it is a great movie.  I wasn't sure how much I'd like it.  Since it was based on the works of Neil Gaiman and because Henry Selick was directing, I figured it would have to be good.  It was better than I thought.  This is a movie that I will watch again.  It will definitely be worth buying on Blu-ray.  I strongly recommend you see it in digital 3-D if that's an option for you. 

I give this a 4.5 out of 5.  Go see it now.
    Avatar image for surreal_sadiablo
    Surreal SaDiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Surreal SaDiablo
    xcodebro!x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By xcodebro!x

It was decent. I saw it last night and I thought it was klind of slow at first, but I really did enjoy the last 30 minutes or so. And It does look way RAD in 3D.... but I just Really love 3D movies any how!

Damnation Lee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Damnation Lee

Well I was contemplating seeing the movie and this secures it for me. Once it comes out on dvd I'll rent it at least. Thanks G-Man for the review.

Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Slinger

I can't wait to see this movie! I can't watch 3D though, it gives me vicious headaches.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#6  Edited By gmanfromheck

Really?  Even the current 'technology' they're using?  I don't mind it.  A movie like "Bolt" didn't seem like it really needed the 3-D.  Here it was really cool.

RainbowTrekki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By RainbowTrekki

I read the book along time ago but most likely am gonna have to wait intell get on DVD.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By King_Saturn
    Well it looks pretty good... maybe I will round up a few of my younger cousins to go see this film with me or somthing...
    AnnetteKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AnnetteKS

I went with my nieces this weekend, a 7, 9 and 12 year old. They loved it. The youngest one held my hand during the not so pleasant parts but other then that the 3 of them came out talking about it and saying how much they enjoyed it. I myself loved it also. It wasn't a typical happy go lucky children movie. The main characters had real personalities that you could relate to and the story flowed and kept me entertained the whole time (except bathroom breaks >< down side of taking young kids to the theater.)

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Media_Master

I'll keep an eye out for it

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

#11  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

Great review! I actually loved this movie myself as it stayed true to the book and I loved the use of stop motion for this film since it fitted the story so well. I actually did a movie review for this on YouTube.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.