Follow

Namor

Character » Namor appears in 4968 issues.

Namor the Sub-Mariner is the ruler of undersea Atlantis. The offspring of a sea captain and an Atlantean princess, he has been both a hero and a villain to the surface world. Namor is one of Marvel's oldest published characters with his origins in the Golden Age of comics.

The Depths

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#1  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

So has anyone read this? I know its not your usual Namor story but is it good?

No Caption Provided
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

anyone?

Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Rheged

I just answered this on another board ...  
    Check out Silkcuts EXCELLENT review on the trade.  My answer was reworded from comments I made on his review.

It's a great story, beautifully painted, but it's not really about Namor, much less 616 Namor. This story has no connections to the Marvel U, and Namor represents an abstraction -- his role could have been easily filled by any mythological sea creature, from Dagon to the Creature of the Black Lagoon.

Most of the book is about Stein, who is kind of like Ahab, and Namor is like a force of nature, like the whale, who he's chasing. Namor is a presence through out the book, because of Stein's obsession, but he doesn't actually appear on panel much... like 4 or 5 pages. The story is about science vs. myth, or more precisely, the conscious reasoning mind vs. the emotional subconscious mind. Stein's literal pursuit mirrors his mental descent.

Like I said, a cool psychological story, but disappointing if you were expecting to see 616 Namor. What I did love, as a Namor fan, was that Milligan took the the mythical connotations and connections, the archetypal essence of 616 Namor, and used it to fashion his version of Namor. One could argue, I suppose, that Milligan stripped Namor of all his superhero trappings, and showed why the character works. 

Yes, it's got a seriously psychological horror / mystery vibe going. Trapped in a sub-marine ... never a good thing.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Kallarkz
    @Rheged said:
    I just answered this on another board ...  
    Check out Silkcuts EXCELLENT review on the trade.  My answer was reworded from comments I made on his review.

It's a great story, beautifully painted, but it's not really about Namor, much less 616 Namor. This story has no connections to the Marvel U, and Namor represents an abstraction -- his role could have been easily filled by any mythological sea creature, from Dagon to the Creature of the Black Lagoon.

Most of the book is about Stein, who is kind of like Ahab, and Namor is like a force of nature, like the whale, who he's chasing. Namor is a presence through out the book, because of Stein's obsession, but he doesn't actually appear on panel much... like 4 or 5 pages. The story is about science vs. myth, or more precisely, the conscious reasoning mind vs. the emotional subconscious mind. Stein's literal pursuit mirrors his mental descent.

Like I said, a cool psychological story, but disappointing if you were expecting to see 616 Namor. What I did love, as a Namor fan, was that Milligan took the the mythical connotations and connections, the archetypal essence of 616 Namor, and used it to fashion his version of Namor. One could argue, I suppose, that Milligan stripped Namor of all his superhero trappings, and showed why the character works. 

Yes, it's got a seriously psychological horror / mystery vibe going. Trapped in a sub-marine ... never a good thing.
    I forgot all about this...I purchased this for $1 an issue about 2 months ago and never went around to reading it. 
    Thanks for the review ill give it a look
    Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Rheged

I hope you guys enjoy it -- and let us know!  It's not a superhero book at all and I think if you go in with that expectation you'll be disappointed.  But if you are looking for a more 'realistic' read, than this is nicely done.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Rheged said:
    I hope you guys enjoy it -- and let us know!  It's not a superhero book at all and I think if you go in with that expectation you'll be disappointed.  But if you are looking for a more 'realistic' read, than this is nicely done.
    yea it still sound pretty cool to me so I'll check it out

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.