Things We Should Be Reading Pt. I: Morning Glories...

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

Edited By JonesDeini

So I figured from time to time I'll shed some light on some lesser known/praised series/minis/maxi's/trades etc. that I'm currently enjoying by sharing them with all of you. So first up I proudly present to you "Morning Glories". This series is published by Image Comics and is written by Nick Spencer, a writer who's been slowly but surely building a name for himself in the industry (Check out T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents over @ DC). The basic premise of the series is that there's a prestigious, private academy who's students all happen to share the same birthday. If that sounds weird to you that's because it is. From the get go we are made acutely aware of that something in this pristine, bright world is amiss, we just don't quite know what. Well turns out that the faculty and staff (fully armed security included) are all involved in a vast conspiracy and they've gathered these kids here for a nefarious purpose, which we also don't know. I gotta say normally I'd feel like I was being strung along when I've finished an arc and still didn't have a concrete grasp of exactly everything that's going on and why, but not so here. The series is really well paced, the dialog is sharp and witty, and all the kids have strong characterizations. This could've easily been the breakfast club meets lost, and I mean that in the worst way possible. 

The art by Joe Eisma has been phenomenal throughout the series. This was my first exposure to his work and I have to say I've been thoroughly impressed and look forward to seeing much more of it  in the near future. Alex Sollazzo's colors really pop off the page, they're very lively, but never feel overstated or distracting. They have just the proper brightness to give a kinetic energy to everything. Rodin Esquejo has been handling the covers and I gotta say they are what convinced me to check out the series. It can be difficult to write teenagers without the dialog sounding unrealistically adult or overly young and filled with dated slang and made up gibberish. Most impressively Spencer avoids both of these common pratfalls. He adds the right amount of emotional vulnerability and personal insecurity to the kids to make them sympathetic and resonant and avoids them being emo and whiny. On a first glance it's pretty easy to typecast all of the kids. Casey's the pretty girl, and the leader. Zoe's the tough chick with a troubled past and a chip on her shoulder. Jun's the strong, silent muscle. Hunter's the unsure bumbler with a heart of gold. Jade's the awkward one. Ike? Well Ike's the slick talking, cocky smart ass (he even wears a scar and shades in doors). Despite the seemingly formulaic make up of this team they each have moments when they significantly fly in the face of convention. 

In closing this series has been great, great stuff and I'd highly recommend it to you, my fellow viners!!! So go out and check it out. It's finished it's first arc (5 issues) so it's not to late to jump in and catch up!

Mrs. Tim Drake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mrs. Tim Drake
    @JonesDeini:
    Agreed. Just started reading it and I love it! 
    Also, you totally nailed it on the whole "breakfast Club" meets "Lost"
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By JonesDeini
    @Mrs. Tim Drake:  
    Glad you're enjoying it. Spencer's been unstoppable lately. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.