Follow

Minutemen

Team » Minutemen appears in 27 issues.

The original superhero team of the 40's, often seen through flashbacks in the Watchmen series and sometimes considered as the original incarnation of the "Watchmen" team.

Why MINUTEMEN Could Potentially Be The Most Important Of All The BEFORE WATCHMEN Books

• 57 results
    blurienh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By blurienh

Curiosity will get the best of me and I'm sure to read them but I know all I'll do is be thinking 'is this how Moore would see these characters?' and completely ruin them. Anything Watchmen should come from him or not at all.

nahadef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By nahadef

"The story of the Minutemen is just as important as that of the Watchmen because the Watchmen story alludes so heavily to the original members."

It really isn't. Watchmen alludes to the Minutemen as much as it needs to, but it doesn't mean we need to know what the Comedian had for breakfast.

Ultimately, DC took the one and only complete hero story they had, and turned it into another exploitable property, giving weight to all the outsiders who think comics are a disreputable medium. There is about 1% chance that any Before Watchmen title will live up to the original. In the long run, it's more likely that Watchmen will outlive DC, Warner Brothers, and American copyright laws. And DiDio and Lee will keep up their front until the day they die. Lee in particular is a real tool for supporting this, and it shows how much the original Image experience was about cash and not about creative control for him.

I'll download it though. No shame in stealing from thieves.

KevinK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By KevinK

I'm a casual comics fan and this is the first time I've heard of "Before Watchmen" and it sounds like a pretty (pardon the french) goddamn awful idea. Sounds like a cheap cash-in. I guess there's nothing wrong with Watchmen fans deciding to pick it up but like others have said, I'm just going to keep humming along and going to forget it ever exists.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 49

#54  Edited By knighthood

I don't believe Mr. Moore wanted any of those movies (V, Watchmen, League of Extraordinary, From Hell, Constantine) to be produced. But we still watched the movies, didn't we? Either way, I'll be reading these mini's and will consider them well done fan fiction and homages. If Alan was producing any type of comics, I may be more sympathetic. Since he essentially left the industry, I'm glad kinda glad someone is using his characters. Someone has to fill that void. Just like Moore did with Lovecraft's legacy in Neonomicon.

bloggerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#55  Edited By bloggerboy

Minutemen #1 was awesome!

Avatar image for thatfunnybookguy
    thatfunnybookguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By thatfunnybookguy

I honestly don't understand people defending Moore. Once the product is out there, once its given to the fans, it becomes the fans. It's the same case as in Star Wars except its a little backwards. See George Lucas wanted to expound upon the original Star Wars Trilogy by digitally adding and removing things (because he didn't have the budget at the time of the original production), and since then has released everything BUT the original. Fans are clamoring for the original but Lucas responds with "no, it's my work, and I can do what I want with it." But see, its not anymore, its the fans now. It's much more than a piece of work by Lucas, its fans childhood and the twinkle in their eye. But to take that original piece of footage that awed the viewer and change it because its not what he wanted is just plain wrong. The whole point of the entertainment media is to captivate audiences and become part of their lives is it not? Then Moore defending his work, renouncing mainstream comics, and whining about someone adding to his production is moot. It's not about you Moore, its about the work you created and we can see it evolve (or devolve) whether or not you go kicking and screaming into the night. It has nothing to do whether or not these pieces will be good or not. It will not change the original Watchmen release. They are just icing on the cake. All in all, I liked Watchmen, but I'm also tired of people worshiping it like it is the end all be all of comics. It's a piece of work that has its flaws just like any other work. Is it good? yes. But no piece of work should basically be worshiped.

That said. I enjoyed the Minutemen book. Though it just expounded on the characters and really didn't go places with plot. Is it taking away from my original reading of Watchmen? No, its just fun. It's a book. It's entertainment. If you don't enjoy it, don't read it. If you do, then good. It's when it becomes something other than entertainment/art is when the industry is at its worst.

KidSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#57  Edited By KidSupreme

when i'll read it i;ll find out

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.