Midnighter #8

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Midnighter recently dealt with a pretty big surprise and an epic battle. Not one to really sit around feeling sorry for himself, Midnighter immediately finds himself out in the middle of the action when some large dangerous beasts suddenly rampage the streets of Rochester. Throughout the battle, we discover the origin of these beasts and who is responsible. This leads Midnighter to team-up with a character I didn't even consider would be popping up in this series.

Steve Orlando continues to capture the essence of Midnighter. With his attitude and action, he's not always the most likable character but Orlando succeeds in making readers care about it. We saw what he was willing to give up last issue and the way he dives into the problem at hand here shows what he's made of. As you would expect, when we're not finding out more about what makes him tick, Orlando throws Midnighter in the middle of some crazy situations where his experience and skills are put to use.

David Messina's pencils and Gaetano Carlucci's inks work nicely for this self contained issue. There's a pretty wide variety in the action and situations that need to be depicted and they handle it with ease. Seeing the character that guest stars here makes me want to see more of him in the DCU.

The main story feels like it's wrapped up pretty quickly. This is a self contained issue and the situation wasn't extremely complex for Midnighter to handle so that is acceptable. The issue does set up his decision to work with Spyral. It's unfortunate that the impression was this aspect would be a major part of the issue, based on the solicitation. Regardless, we have something to look forward to as Midnighter gets ready to take on some new targets for the next issue.

Even when Midnighter takes on a lighter mission, Steve Orlando fills it with excitement. A lot of characters follow a certain archetype in comics but Midnighter continues to walk down his own path. He's a great addition to the DCU and this series never skips a beat. The art by David Messina and Gaetano Carlucci fits the story nicely and you have to love the team-up no one saw coming. MIDNIGHTER is a series that should be on everyone's radar. If you haven't been reading it, go back and track down each issue. You'll thank me for doing so.

Avatar image for bh6shouldhavehadsilversamurai
    BH6ShouldHavehadSilverSamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

Meh. I wasn't a fan of the last arc. I'll see if this issue interests me, if not I'm going to drop it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

The guest character was cool. I liked his thriller jacket.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

"I maimed a goat from space"

Heh I remember that.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By dondave
    Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@dondave said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:

"I maimed a goat from space"

Heh I remember that.

Issue?

He's talking about that Red Lantern he killed, I think it was in Red Lantern 10

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

You guys are reviewing this? excellent.

Ando123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really love this issue of Midnighter¡¡

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

@entropy_aegis: I thought I had before but I guess not. I know the series has been featured in Best Battles often.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

This series is consistently one of the books I look forward to the most each month. This issue was kind of filler but it was still fun.

johnny_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Freedom Beast?! Whaaaaaaaat?!

KASPERCOLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Why can't they keep a consistent artist on this book? Are they ever going to expand on Midnighter's past unknown history and maybe touch a little bit on his time with Stormwatch instead of name-dropping Apollo once and a while? From the first issue, it seemed like Midnighter was going to spend most of his time recovering tech that was stolen from the God garden. But the proceeding stories do not seem to be much about that. Even with the revolving artists, I have yet to see a version where Midnighter seems to be in a grounded location. Everything just seems like a series of vignettes. I do like the effect the new artist draws when Midnighter is using his battle computer, kind of like his Spidey sense is tingling.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.