Follow

Midnighter

Character » Midnighter appears in 436 issues.

Midnighter is an augmented hero with superhuman physical abilities and the power to run through thousands of fight scenarios in his head before a single punch is thrown. Although he's one of the good guys, Midnighter enjoys violence and brutality and never feels more alive than when he's in the middle of a bloody brawl.

Only a matter of time in the new 52

Omega-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Omega-Man

Yes it's only a matter of time before we see a Superman and Batman vs Apollo and Midnighter show down within the new 52. Don't get me wrong I do slightly roll my eyes at it but I am curious on how they would pull it off.

What are your thoughts on this?

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By ReVamp

Unless Batman gets stomped, I won't be happy.

Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Adnan

@ReVamp said:

Seconded. Unless Batman has some sorta edge beforehand, I don't see how he would take Midnighter down anyway...then again, I don't think Midnighter's powers have been defined yet in the DCnU (haven't read Stormwatch #4 yet though, I might be wrong)

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ReVamp

@Adnan said:

@ReVamp said:

Seconded. Unless Batman has some sorta edge beforehand, I don't see how he would take Midnighter down anyway...then again, I don't think Midnighter's powers have been defined yet in the DCnU (haven't read Stormwatch #4 yet though, I might be wrong)

Yeah. True.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ReVamp

I mean, his powers have been sort of defined as being more than human and I still think Bats should get stomped. Unless he has prep and is properly written.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By SoA

i really don't like this watered down stormwatch , the again compared to the authority stormwatch was eh, does this mean i could get the authority i know and love back??

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Saren

@Adnan said:

@ReVamp said:

He's already displayed some impressive strength and speed and he still has his battle computer or something with the same function.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By batkevin74

Sure it'll be Midnighter Vs Batman and Superman Vs Apollo but not as we once knew it, this time it's actually IN CONTINUITY! Prior to this the best we got were fan-fic and battle posts here on Comic Vine

I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully it's 22 pages of pure smackdown goodness

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    Let's see how Midnighter will do against Grifter, it should be his first major 1on1 against an established character in the new 52. Grifter hasn't done anything that puts him outside Batman's weightclass as of yet, so it should be illuminating regarding both of them.

But anyway, I wouldn't put any money on Apollo or Midnighter beating (or, at least, beating easily, if at all) Superman and Batman, respectively. Comics don't operate as we do in the battles forum.
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Magian

It is definitely going to happen, that's for sure. But we still haven't seen that much from Midnighter and Apollo. At least what they can do when they are fighting someone else. But at least in Superman vs Apollo, I am tempted to say Superman. While Apollo did some cool stuff, the fact that his energy reserves are quite finite compared to Superman, gives Superman the edge IMO.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Saren

I know that Superman would beat Apollo even if it's the Wildstorm version, but Midnighter should not be reduced in any way. The only way Grifter should be able to fight Midnighter in their upcoming battle is with psychic abilities. I'm crossing my fingers but at the same time there's this sinking feeling at the bottom of my stomach.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @CitizenBane: I haven't read Grifter # 4 yet, but as of # 3, the only psychic ability the New 52 Cole has displayed is his reading the mind of Daemonites in proximity.
    Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Saren

@Morpheus_: This might be a spoiler.

He displayed TK in #4 when he forced a cop who was pointing a gun at him to shoot a target that was in the air. Maybe they'll give us a concrete view at how powerful his psychic abilities are by #7, because I take great offense to the idea of Midnighter getting a nerfing that's too drastic. I love Batman as much as the next guy, but if 'Nighter doesn't beat him like a red-headed stepchild I'll cry.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @CitizenBane: No prob with the spoilers, I'll read the issue in a while and I've neglected it too much as it is.

The most accurate way I could see the fight playing out would be for Midnighter to stomp Batman all the way until Batman reveals some ace up his sleeve in the shape of some device that shuts down Midnighter's computer and his enhancements and then proceeds to mop the floor with him. If Midnighter is up to his regular standards and without interference, Batman just can't win.
    Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Saren

@Morpheus_: But DCNU Midnighter still has speed and strength beyond Batman's. He nerve-struck Hawksmoor and managed to sneak up on J'onn. The agility he displayed against the antibody in Stormwatch #4 was impressive as well. Even without the battle computer, he should wipe the floor with Bruce. Although I feel like that's wishful thinking, the odds are that no writer is going to let Batman lose in such a spectacular fashion.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Saren

@Morpheus_: Crap, I misread that. It wasn't TK, it was the cop pointing his gun upwards in surprise. So no telekinesis either. This gets worse and worse....

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @CitizenBane said:

@Morpheus_: But DCNU Midnighter still has speed and strength beyond Batman's. He nerve-struck Hawksmoor and managed to sneak up on J'onn. The agility he displayed against the antibody in Stormwatch #4 was impressive as well. Even without the battle computer, he should wipe the floor with Bruce. Although I feel like that's wishful thinking, the odds are that no writer is going to let Batman lose in such a spectacular fashion.

It's why I said and his enhancements. :P

Presuming it's still enhancements and not inherent abilities he possesses.
    RayeGunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RayeGunn

@CitizenBane said:

@Morpheus_: Crap, I misread that. It wasn't TK, it was the cop pointing his gun upwards in surprise. So no telekinesis either. This gets worse and worse....

Signed up just to say this after stumbling across this thread :p but in the fight with Green Arrow, Grifter catches one of his arrows, thinking to himself "it would be a long time before I understood how I just did that" which seems to imply he DOES have TK but is not yet fully aware of it. Will he figure it out more by the time issue 7 rolls around? dunno.

Midnighter's powers appear to have been changed, though. Rather than running through all possible scenarios, he has this general understanding of how things work. not as cool, imo, but should net a similar end effect.

Anyway. Agree with the general consensus. i will accept Apollo losing a fight with Superman, but Midnighter better win in a fight with Bats.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By joshmightbe

@ReVamp said:

Yea cause DC is known for letting Batman get beat by characters who logically would curbstomp him

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ReVamp

@joshmightbe said:

@ReVamp said:

Yea cause DC is known for letting Batman get beat by characters who logically would curbstomp him

Ze Bat-Factor I tell ya.

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Superguy0009e

Idk, seeing a full out battle between the two "couples" would be a great issue. Maybe it should be an issue all by itself

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Saren

@joshmightbe said:

@ReVamp said:

No Caption Provided

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ReVamp

@CitizenBane said:

@joshmightbe said:

@ReVamp said:

No Caption Provided

The fight was off panel and Prometheus is a human who effed the whole of the Justice League, so Batman is most definitely not the one that looks bad there.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Saren

@ReVamp said:

@CitizenBane said:

@joshmightbe said:

@ReVamp said:

No Caption Provided

The fight was off panel and Prometheus is a human who effed the whole of the Justice League, so Batman is most definitely not the one that looks bad there.

I never said it made him look bad, just that Prometheus would logically curbstomp him. Which is what someone said DC would never let happen.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By joshmightbe

@CitizenBane: I didn't say never, just rarely

lady_toyano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By lady_toyano

@joshmightbe: HA!

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By SoA
    No Caption Provided

soon...

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By sethysquare

I cant wait for the line wide event.

Where Stormwatch crosses over with Justice League.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

I'd like to see how the rip-off's(Yes they're basically rip-off's get over it) would handle the real deal

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Gracetrack

Midnighter is an even more outrageously unbeatable character than Batman (for those of you who like to dog on Bats because of his "Bat-armor," it goes both ways). In theory, not one character that I've seen in the DCnU (so far) has what it takes to win against Mids' power set... especially with his newly revised power of being able to cognitively see all possibly scenarios before they happen, effectively enabling him to know the future (instead of merely being a matter of mathematical prediction). Honestly, who can win against that? The answer - unless there's an awful lot of prep time, just about nobody. Lame.

That being said, a second-rate character such as Mids will never be allowed to defeat Bats. Not definitively. A certain moderator already stated something to that effect, but I thought I'd go ahead and state it again for posterity's sake. Personally, I cannot wait to watch the Dark Knight turn the tables and utterly outwit and outclass this wannabe.

I envision a similar final outcome as that of Bats vs Prometheus...

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.