Follow

Mary Jane

Character » Mary Jane appears in 3744 issues.

Mary Jane Watson is an actress and a major love interest of Peter Parker aka Spider-Man. They have had a long and dramatic on-and-off-again relationship. She's one of the few people who know who he is and still supports him as a close friend and confidante.

Sam Raimi Still Wants Kirsten Dunst As Mary Jane

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided
    Most people are simply not happy with the casting choice of Kirsten Dunst as Mary Jane in the Spider-Man movies.  After the third, it looked like perhaps we'd get a new cast and director.  Tobey Maguire, Dunst and Raimi all seemed ready to move on.  Word came out that Raimi and Maguire were back on board.  Dunst said she'd do another if they were all in it.  For some reason, she hasn't been confirmed as of yet.  Raimi has publicly stated that he would love to have Dunst return but it almost sounded like it was out of his hands.

According to Sci Fi Wire Raimi just told a group of reporters that he is set to meet with Dunst to talk about her reprising the role.

They also asked Raimi if Spider-Man would go the edgy route to align with The Dark Knight and Watchmen.   He doesn't rule it out, saying it's really up to the screenwriter.
    Edgy could be a direction, but I don't think it will be applied without really understanding the character's journey from the inside out first and then figuring out the best way to bring that about.

What Raimi really wants to do is explore the nature of Peter Parker and what makes him a unique and human character.  That's fine as long as he doesn't start crying again.

No Caption Provided

Kurrent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By Kurrent

I would have preferred another actress but she didn't do that bad! I wish they would have portrayed her a little more confident though.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#2  Edited By gmanfromheck

I agree that she wasn't as horrible as a lot of people say.  She just wasn't necessarily the right choice.  Mary Jane is a supermodel and, as you say, more confident.  Dunst just didn't capture that.

Samuraikenpo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Samuraikenpo

i agree with you guys but seriously she really isnt a red head and she isn't even that good of a actress i would much rather see Black Cat in this movie.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By danhimself

i was really hoping for a complete reboot

Rod12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Rod12

I was hoping for a reboot to myself and have it connect to the new Marvel Movie Universe but if its the original cast you know that that idea will never happen.

Nahero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Nahero

i like her i think they should keep her

jdragz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jdragz

I wanted them to reboot it also and bring it into the rest of the Marvel Movie Universe.  For them to do that though, I think Marvel Studios would have to buy the movie rights back from Sony.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#8  Edited By The_Martian

They could have found someone better, but now that she has been in three movies already they should keep her.

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Darkchild

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THATS GOOD

Find another Mary Jane, Kristin is alright but i want someone who screams mary jane.

Samuraikenpo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Samuraikenpo

what is with people and rebooting movies i get that everyone wishes they just re did it but i aint got room on my movie shelf for the same dam  movie just redone 8 different times cause well people didnt like that one. Punisher need i say more!

mattydeNero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mattydeNero

All I'm saying is that if they move the story on and jump like 5 or 6 years in the film's continuity, there's no reason why MJ couldn't be a model/soap opera star or something. 

What screwed the pooch for Dunst was Bryce Dallas Howard.  That took away from Mary Jane so much to where all she could do was sing in a musical, get canned, and then go dancing in a kitchen with Harry.  I mean, after watching Howard in Spidey 3, I almost wish she would have been cast as MJ from the jump.

Much like Ultimate Spidey, if you bring in MJ first, DON'T throw Gwen Stacy in the mix.  But I wouldn't be surprised if Raimi and the screenwriters decide to make Gweny the Black Cat.  Hmm?

Sleuth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sleuth

Even though she's not the best for the role, she still did ok job. The only thing I want them rebooting is Daredevil.

Avatar image for firestormnuclerman
    Firestormnuclerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who else screams Mary Jane that is a talented curvy actress? Rachel Mcadams or is that just me?

wordchallenge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By wordchallenge

Wow, I didn't think she was that bad in the role.  She can act and it seemed to me that she the best she could with how it was written.  Bring her back for continuity's sake at least.

kashdinero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kashdinero

no way there should be a reboot

dunst may not be the hottest chick in the world but she came across very well as maguire's love intrest. plus the casual fans love her(and toby for that matter).

film 4 just needs to be a kick arse, action packed, well written classic that has the masses anxiously waiting for the next instalment (like film 2), and after the overly long mess that was film 3 i think it will be.

rendellboy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By rendellboy94

She is fit to play Mary Jane.

Nebcron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Nebcron

If it's going to have Tobey in it, they should stick with Dunst for continuity and all.  She was never my favorite choice for the part but she played the first two movies well enough.  Spidey 3 was just a train wreck all the way around.  Maybe Raimi can just call this next one Spider-Man 3A and pretend the other #3 never happened.

m_man360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By m_man360

I need to see a script.....this movie could be good.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Media_Master

I'd rather have her than a new one, but I won't freak out if she is replaced

LastSon1027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LastSon1027

I like Dunst and although there may be someone more fitting for the part you cant go an replace your lead actress 4 movies into a franchise.

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#21  Edited By DMC

I wouldn't mind if they found someone else to play Mary Jane. It's too bad Marvel didn't choose Bryce Dallas Howard (Gwen Stacy) to play MJ originally.
    Yeah yeah I know, it's not about looks it's about acting. So get ready for Megan Fox.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By NightFang3

Its ok in my book.

Avatar image for silver_knight75
    Silver Knight75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By Silver Knight75

Kirsten's gotta stay. She's great for it.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#24  Edited By Kairan1979

I hated Kirsten Dunst as MJ Watson. I don't think the new actress can do worse.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.